Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 2 Restoration Project

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Article about restoring the cut areas from Fallout 2, not sure if this is old news but thought id post anyway.

PC Powerplay said:
These restoration projects are all the rage these days, especially with RPGs. Planescape and KOTOR 2 are other games that have recieved the restoration treatment, but one of the more notable ones is the Fallout 2 project, headed up by Killap [real name withheld at request; I wouldn't trust a bunch of Australians either] an information technology and computer science student. After the series made him fall in love with everything post-apocalyptic, he became enamored with modding the second game: "Though it's been two years since the start of the Restoration Project, my Fallout 2 modding began with my unofficial patch. After it matured enough, I decided it was time for something else. I had become too addicted to modding Fallout 2 to walk away from it and having found lots of information about cut content, I decided I would go ahead and restore it all." "The process began with restoring content locations already in the game. From here, I then added in locations that were pulled from the game. This was harder since, though we knew the name of the locations and the general plot and design behind them, they were not truly set in stone by the developers. "In fact, the EPA is the only location which we had a complete [or nearly complete] design doc for. As such, I couldn't go about adding in arbitrary stuff. After all, this is a restoration project and it is my intent to make all the new content appear as though it was there the whole time."

Sounds gut

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
"Wow, Fallout 2 Restoration Patch!"
"I'm Kaga!! Everytime you start a new game you have to sit through a poorly written monologue!"
"Uninstall."

True story.

The final battle with him is anti-climactic as hell if you've gained even a small measure of personal power. Supposedly once you've damaged him enough you can try talking him down if you'd gone with the diplomatic approach in previous encounters.

I never got the chance, because he melted after the first shot. Seriously, he ranted and raved about how this would be the final, glorious battle...

...and then I just turned him to goo and walked away.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
The final battle with him is anti-climactic as hell if you've gained even a small measure of personal power. Supposedly once you've damaged him enough you can try talking him down if you'd gone with the diplomatic approach in previous encounters.

I never got the chance, because he melted after the first shot. Seriously, he ranted and raved about how this would be the final, glorious battle...

...and then I just turned him to goo and walked away.

Anticlimactic irony mebbe?

JrK

Prophet
Kaga iirc is the guy who blocks the way to the village on the entrace to the Temple of the Chosen Ones right when you start F2RP. I believe in older versions he would have some dialog showing how you were using the right version.

However, in the latest version there is a rock on the ground behind him that, when examined, gives you feedback on whether or not everything is installed properly.

As a final remark, Killap's F2RP is ANCIENT news.

Derper

Prophet
Old news, but a new version is right around the corner. New stuff added, and Kaga should be more polished as well.

denizsi

Arcane
I'll bet there are dozens of funny monty python references we missed. What a shame.

Not that many. There are more internet meme references than you can chew, though.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Andyman Messiah said:
"I'm Kaga!! Everytime you start a new game you have to sit through a poorly written monologue!"
"Uninstall."

True story.

Out of ALL the things this mod restores, you quit just because of that?

It was better written than anything in Fallout 3.

Coldcall

Novice
Just as an aside.

The Silent Storm engine would make an excellent modern platform for a fallout 1 & 2 remake.

Not sure how many of you have played Hammer & Sickle, but i prefer it to SS in that its way more like an old-school RPG.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Jaesun said:
Andyman Messiah said:
"Uninstall."

True story.

I played through the game once with the RP mod, but it'll take a gun to my head before I'm even going to consider doing it again. I found the "new" stuff to be both ridiculous and embarassing, and I'm not at all surprised that they ended up on the cutting floor. I'll admit that some of the things the mod puts back into the game is pretty cool, but the bad far outweighs the good.

And Fallout 3 is much better than Fallout 2 RP. Feel free to quote me on that.

Derper said:
Old news, but a new version is right around the corner. New stuff added, and Kaga should be more polished as well.
Not holding my breath here.

Derper

Prophet
Andyman Messiah said:
Jaesun said:
Andyman Messiah said:
"Uninstall."

True story.

I played through the game once with the RP mod, but it'll take a gun to my head before I'm even going to consider doing it again. I found the "new" stuff to be both ridiculous and embarassing, and I'm not at all surprised that they ended up on the cutting floor. I'll admit that some of the things the mod puts back into the game is pretty cool, but the bad far outweighs the good.

And Fallout 3 is much better than Fallout 2 RP. Feel free to quote me on that.
Up yours. I for one welcome our modding overlords.

Derper said:
Not holding my breath here.
You shouldn't, you need oxygen for your brain. True story.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
:| Fallout 2 is good...

... for what it is. :cool:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silellak

Cipher
Andyman Messiah said:
:| Fallout 2 is good...

... for what it is. :cool:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this-family-is-awesome-18645-1266247905-65.jpg

kingcomrade said:
I'll bet there are dozens of funny monty python references we missed. What a shame.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, well, F2RP is kinda lame, since it mostly "restores" not the cut content, but the content that was never made in the first place, only considered. So this is basically just a huge mod that represents killap's "vision" of the game, not what the developers would have made if they had the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom