Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 2D/TB vs 3D/FPS

crufty

Arcane
tunguska said:
\] I recently downloaded some emulators and tried to play some of my favorite games from the early to mid 80s. Choplifter, Archon, Castle Wolfenstein, Crush Crumble and Chomp.

I've found games that made the graphics the focal point of immersion got really dated over time. Games that made gameplpay the immersive factor tend to fair much better, as well as games that include more then 16 colors of graphics and digital sound.

For example, I still enjoy a good game of gauntlet. it's 22 years old now....

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
A bunch of Codexers have been playing Doom a bunch over Hamachi. It's got both great graphics and great gameplay (especially with zDoom additions).

Dpayne

Scholar
There's a reason Fallout will still be awesome ten years from now and Half Life 2 will be boring.

Zomg

Arbiter
crufty said:
tunguska said:
\] I recently downloaded some emulators and tried to play some of my favorite games from the early to mid 80s. Choplifter, Archon, Castle Wolfenstein, Crush Crumble and Chomp.

I've found games that made the graphics the focal point of immersion got really dated over time. Games that made gameplpay the immersive factor tend to fair much better, as well as games that include more then 16 colors of graphics and digital sound.

For example, I still enjoy a good game of gauntlet. it's 22 years old now....

The industry has no reason to make games with long term appeal. Year old games typically sell at enormous discounts, and three year old games are hardly even monetized. Everything is entirely blockbusterized for first week sales, with marketing crescendos designed to stick a prod up your ass to massage your consumer prostate. Not even word of mouth is generally fast enough.

denizsi

Arcane
The industry has no reason to make games with long term appeal. Year old games typically sell at enormous discounts, and three year old games are hardly even monetized. Everything is entirely blockbusterized for first week sales, with marketing crescendos designed to stick a prod up your ass to massage your consumer prostate. Not even word of mouth is generally fast enough.

This probably depends on location, I don't know, but I often see Doom 1 at a price of 25$ average, with games like Brigade E5 for 10$ on next shelf.

tunguska said:
Dementia Praecox said:
Please do reply to my inquiry of your take on immersion before addressing what I write in this post.
I'll spam my mini-essay in a new thread when it's finished, and I have had more time to consider it. For now, I'll just say that immersion is the subjective sense of feeling like you are <i>right there</i>. Inside the game world. Not just your game character but you yourself. To the extent that current tech allows. Immersion is a subjective experience so it can be created in <i>any</i> manner that results in that 'in there' feeling. Some features that can create immersion are: Visual Realism (graphics, display tech, detail, rendering, parallax etc), Audio Realism, AI, World Simulation, Story. [I will expand on these in a separate post]. If someone feels 'immersed' by a game of pong (or Oblivion) then so be it.
I see where you're getting at, and frankly speaking, I've done that from the beginning. I don't quite agree to the validness of the word in terms of game hype-speak as it is used today, but I see your point and I look forward to your topic. I will engage in further debate when it arrives.

tunguska said:
Haha. I just checked that thread. I'm flattered that you went through the trouble to read my first post. Did you think I hadn't read the replies?
No, I didn't. But I thought it was relevant to what we were talking about, and it struck me as appropriate to refresh your memory.

tunguska said:
I reserve the right to complain about flame wars as many times as I want.
Sure. Just as I reserve the right to engage in flame wars. Only we don't have any rights to reserve, as The Codex isn't exactly a democracy. :lol:

tunguska said:
My point in that post was to point out a rare place on the internet that used to exist and <i>didn't</i> have many flame wars. but it was probably moderated. My intention was not so much to complain about the ones that were here. Not that it isn't a valid complaint for someone who prefers discussion to name calling. I was sort of hoping to find someone who might have been there. It seemed sad that there was no replacement.
Each to his own, I guess.

tunguska said:
Actually I don't think it is for me. At least not in the sense of some kind of refuge or place to hang. From that first post I could see that it wasn't. That's not to say that it is completely without value however. Sometimes I just want to think out loud about cRPG philosophy.
That's a shame. You seem like you have a lot to share. While I don't agree in much of what you've said, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate that you're here, sharing your sentiments.

tunguska said:
Ideally I would be able to participate in a civilized exchange of ideas about said philosophy. I just wouldn't expect that here. Getting either completely ignored or just flamed seems a lot more likely.
Just look past the flaming and the juvenile stuff, and there is much of that to be had here. It's rather easy when you get the hang of it. Then again, I don't have the hang of it, and I actually don't know what the hell I'm trying to say, as I'm happily participating in all the flaming and juvenile stuff. Guess the gist of it is that I imagine that it isn't all that hard to ignore. Especially in the light of all the intelligent discourse that in fact do take place there.

tunguska said:
Actually I don't use that word much, but it <i>is</i> a word that people from my generation use. Just ask any American (preferably a native) in their late 30s about the word. Although not many people my age probably still use it much if that is your point. A point I was making about the other slang is that it is so new that no one has ever used it in that way until quite recently.
Well, I lied. It doesn't make me cringe. It was just a silly attempt to make a point.
Never mind. Move along, citizen, move along. Nothing to see here.

tunguska said:
Another example that was used earlier in this thread was 'emo'. Doesn't annoy me or make me cringe. It just puzzles me. At first I figured it was just short for emotional, but it seems to mean more than that. I even googled it a while back and all I found was lots of teenage blogs and something about it being like a kind of punk rock.
That's actually quite spot on. :lol:

tunguska said:
Haha. You do realize that by using the same adjective to describe so many different things the word starts to become almost meaningless. I can usually substitute the word stupid for retard to (hopefully) extract the meaning, but that doesn't seem to work here. Sometimes something resembling 'bad' seems to apply. but that doesn't seem to work here either.
Bad seem to work just fine. Besides, if you read the stuff surrounding the word retard, you'll find there is more to the sentences than just insults.

tunguska said:
So, although I get the vague sense that you don't like my opinions in some way, I don't get a very specific idea of why or in what sense you don't like them.
Point taken, will make a better effort in your future topic.

tunguska said:
But I actually don't care so it is irrelevant anyway. I am not here to make friends.
Do I sense a lingering Codex spirit here?

tunguska said:
Care to give an example? Some things I say may be wordy or repetitive <cough> and lack the clarity of a good writer, but I don't normally speak in word salads. I can say things more concisely when I do a second draft, but it rarely seems worth the effort in forums like this when I'm not sure if anyone will even read it or if they do offer some useful reply.
I most certainly think I did. Both what you wrote about Immersion and what you wrote about Morrowind were specific things I pointed my finger at. The rest of it got lost somewhere in all the flaming. And people do read what you write. I remember single posts made by farely anonymous users several years ago, even if they make like 20, and then vanish, just to resurface some years later. I often find myself having those moments where I go "hey, wasn't that the guy who...". I can only speak for myself, and I have visited these forums on a close to daily basis the last 4-5 years. I think this counts for most of the regulars, even if they are to butch to admit it. I even remembered that first topic of yours, I just had to look it up for confirmation of that memory.

tunguska said:
You mean constant flame wars?
No I don't. And that should be pretty obvious by now.

tunguska said:
I never claimed one existed, but I would be quite pleased if I could find one.
Look past the flaming and the Codex should suffice for all your RPG needs. Just try it out for a while. Besides, if that alternative you were talking about in that first topic of yours (can't be bothered to look it up now), still existed today, it would be just as cynical and bitter as The Codex. Trust me on that.

tunguska said:
BTW, I may not be able to flame like the kiddies, but here goes. Fuck you, cunt. How'd I do?
Not all that impressed, to tell the truth. But don't worry. It all comes with practice. :lol:

tunguska said:
Unfortunately the English language is kind of limited in terms of insults. Spanish is much juicier. Especially if you actually want to get into a fistfight with someone using words. Don't you feel your constant use of 'retard' limits your creativity in insulting people? Surely you should switch it out occasionally for something else. Of course, you will use the word as much as possible with me because you think you are being clever.
Limiting? Retard is all you need. Retard works in every flavour and setting. I have retard for breakfast, dinner and supper. Best word ever. And if you think English is limiting, you should try Norwegian. Worst language known to mankind, be that in terms of insults or otherwise.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
denizsi said:
This probably depends on location, I don't know, but I often see Doom 1 at a price of 25$ average, with games like Brigade E5 for 10$ on next shelf.
Yeah the Starcraft Battle Chest at stores around here often cost $20-25. That game is like 10 years old and they still stock it, even here in middling-sized towns in Texas.

In response to the original post:

I guess someone already say those things, but i am too lazy as to read five pages when i am as tired as now. So, if someone already said those, consider it a "Quoted for Truth" or "Quoted for Emphasis" thingy and be done with it.

Now,

It is not a hard/easy situation, actually. Turn Based does not mean Hard, by default. And if you think FPS means Easy by default, you lack experience.

Same with "becoming repetitive fast." That depends neither on perspective or the TB/FPS comparison, but only on gameplay and design. Most Action Junkies i know like repetition less than we do.

Skills becoming useless is also a problem of design and gameplay, instead of it being TB/FPS. The fallout games had some pretty useless skills, and so did Arcanum. In fact, we have been bitching about useless skills for as long as there have been CRPGs, and those were not FPS in any way or shape.

"Combat stays balanced since it's skill based not player based." Not a true 2D/TB characteristic, but also a design one. The player gains proficency with the "gameisms" natural to the combat system used, be it TB or FPS, 2D or 3D. Then, it follows that combat becomes easier one way or another. And if you are trying to say that the last battles in "reflex based" games are easier than the first ones, i say you should play more of those. TB RPGs put you against more, harder enemies. FPSs put you against more, harder enemies. Wow.

The thing about 10-20 enemies at once in 2D/TB vs five at most in 3D/FPS? You lack experience. Ten to twenty enemies in "FPS" games are not as uncommon as you think. Ten are really standard fare, and more at "climatic" encounters are usual. And, to be sincere, i would like it as a 3D/FPS if it were as you said: The thing about the characters mowing through literal hordes of enemies got old many years ago. Very many. Put fewer, but stronger, smarter, and actually capable of wining something more than a battle of attrition.

"No tactics," you said. I say: By definition, Tactics are the procedures used to reach a given objective/goal under certain conditions, usually under military circumstances, and the particular maneuvers that are part of such procedures. Perspective and combat system have nothing to do with it.

"No party." Why not? Maybe not a player controled party, but neither Fallout had such. If we are talking about NPCs who do their think by themselves, with very limited player input and a crappy AI, then either 2d and 3d, Turn Based or FPS can do it alright.

Also, a lot of people may think that combat in Deux Ex blew, because you had to sit and wait for the aiming to take place. You do not like that? Put some points in the related weapon skill. Instant-Aim at Master. Perfectly stable sniper rifles with Master and a Stabilizer. You do not want to raise the skill? Then aim like a noob. What's more RPGish than that?

And, why not 3D/TB, like Silent Storm? 2D is, sincerely, nostalgic crap. 3D can do the same things, and better - As that one game showed us. It's problems were of design, not of engine or technology.

You are mostly stereotyping the systems, not really analizing their confronted potentials.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Dpayne said:
There's a reason Fallout will still be awesome ten years from now and Half Life 2 will be boring.

What? The fact that one can be experienced differently by taking different characters through different paths, wheras the other is pretty much a simple linear shooter?

Surgey

Scholar
Even Doom looks better than some 3d games. We tried Hexen 2, which uses the Quake engine. We found that Doom looked better. Sprites are just really cool. They're almost irreplaceable, unless they find a way to make 3d models look and move like sprites.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I dunno. Nostalgia is great and all, but I think a Doom remake using the Source engine should look at least as good as the original. Nah, kidding. It'd look much better.

Dpayne said:
Nonsense. HL2 has qualities besides graphics. I find that when I enjoy a game, I'll still enjoy it years later. Good graphics are a plus, but they don't make or break a game for me.

Dpayne

Scholar
It's true that things like story and decent gameplay can create a longlasting experience (as can nostalgia). In my opinion Half Life 2 has neither of those things (I guess the gravity gun was neat). A good example for me though is Jedi Knight. I loved that game when it came out, but now, despite the fact that I still have fond memories of it, it has become pretty boring gameplay wise.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
By definition, Tactics are the procedures used to reach a given objective/goal under certain conditions, usually under military circumstances, and the particular maneuvers that are part of such procedures.
I'm so tired of this shit. Suck my cock.

kingcomrade said:
By definition, Tactics are the procedures used to reach a given objective/goal under certain conditions, usually under military circumstances, and the particular maneuvers that are part of such procedures.
I'm so tired of this shit. Suck my cock.

Are you tired of the true definitions for terms used wrongly in a discussion? And thus should i suck your cock? It does not follow.

Surgey

Scholar
Claw said:
I dunno. Nostalgia is great and all, but I think a Doom remake using the Source engine should look at least as good as the original. Nah, kidding. It'd look much better.

More polygons doesn't mean it will look better. Hell, some people have put models into the original Doom. They don't even look as good as the sprites and they don't fit. Graphics are about more than how many phongs and pixel shaders you have.

galsiah

Erudite
Section8 said:
I'm not saying it's a great RPG setup, I'm saying that it seems like the best compromise to me for a hybrid FPS/RPG. Since the player's own dexterity/reflexes are being used for finer details, then I think it makes sense to be making broader strokes with the RPG elements.
Perhaps - but only if it helps. There's no need to go for broad RPG categorizations just to give the RPG elements more impact.

As for the impact of player skill, part of it is simplifying the design, to aid gameworld designers in creating more focused scenarios...
Perhaps this works better in practice, but in theory I don't like this outlook. It comes at level design from a very prescriptive angle: it's useful for the designer to have a clear, simple idea of the PC's capabilities when he's crafting challenges tailored to those specific possibilities.

I'd much rather have the game designer come up with great character and world systems providing many interesting possibilities. Ideally, level designers should be able to focus on creating interesting scenarios (not solutions) - safe in the knowledge that the player will find some combination of strategies to win through.

Consider the design of an RTS campaign scenario. A bad designer will probably think of a scenario, come up with some wonderfully cool ways to win it, then force the player into adopting one of these "cool" strategies. A good designer will think of a scenario, provide interesting combinations of challenges, but allow the player to solve things in his own way.
So long as the basic gameplay systems are good enough, the second method produces much more interesting, replayable levels.

If an RTS level designer needed to be clear on exact unit stats in the building of a certain scenario, it'd be a fairly safe bet that he was building a rigid scenario. If he were building a versatile scenario that empowered the player with a diverse set of options, he wouldn't need to be clear on exact stats - the gist would be fine.

Perhaps it's harder to create open, interesting, player-driven RPG(hybrid) challenges, but that's the direction I'd like to see explored. Deus Ex aimed at this with its notion of """emergent""" gameplay. It's a bit much to call it emergent, but any attempt to get away from designer-defined solutions is to be applauded.

So, while I agree that a bit of discrete, broad clarity helps designers in many contexts, I'm not wild about those contexts. I'd rather see situations where slight differences in skill were always potentially important, since a small difference could combine with many other factors to create new solutions. [in theory, at least]

...and part of it is denying the player opportunities to exceed their character ability.
I agree that there can be an issue with encouraging dull gameplay (e.g. extreme player patience + character ineptitude = horribly slow success). However, I object to the premise of your point: in a Deus Ex-like game, player skill is part of what defines PC ability. A player can't possibly exceed their character's ability, since a character's ability is not defined in isolation from the player.

Again, I'd say that this lack of complete separation of player and character is an essential property of any FP/RT game - RPG or otherwise. Trying to maintain the idea of an independent character in this context doesn't make much sense IMO.

...but Deus Ex affords more lenience to the patient player. Accuracy becomes more of a time sink than anything else, and gameplay becomes less a product of the character choices the player has made, and more of a resource management exercise. Do I have an abundance of pistols and pistol ammo? If yes, what precludes me from just hailing wayward lead until my opponents die?
Perhaps this is true some of the time (clearly not always). I'd say that the fault lies with the world system, rather than the character system though. It might be fine to reward patience in lining up a single shot - but once the player starts missing with multiple bullets, the shit ought to hit the fan.

Admittedly, a more natural means of prohibition could be achieved, but what's ultimately more frustrating to the player? Not being able to use a weapon, or being able to use one that constantly misses?
It's interesting the way you phrase that: "one that constantly misses".
It highlights the way the mechanic comes across to the player - not as some natural, PC/world-centric difficulty, but rather as an artificial property of the object being used. The player doesn't get the feel of amateur pistol use. He gets the feeling of competent use of a horribly broken weapon.

This is frustrating because:
Trying to use something that's broken is frustrating.
The player knows that the weapon isn't broken in the game world.

It's a naturally frustrating situation made incoherent by an implementation that feels wrong. Incoherent frustration is the worst possible kind. [I'd guess that exactly the same mechanic would be less frustrating if the player was told he was using a broken gun, rather than being of low skill - in that case missing a single shot by 30 degrees would be credible.]

I think things would be much improved if the lack of skill made the weapon harder to use (recoil, fire rate, reload rate...), rather than fairly simple to use, but with randomized results. The most frustrating aspect of repeated missing is the nonsense - not the missing.

And as always, there's the whole notion that character skill lessens the challenge of most activities.
Sure - it should change the character of the challenge, not eliminate it. In a sense this is already true even in Deus Ex - most individual challenges are small parts of a whole. Killing the guard might be trivial, but doing it twice in quick succession without being spotted by a third is probably not. High skill can make that setup a challenge worth attempting.

A boolean "can_use" doesn't walk this slippery slope, since it basically entails - "Can the player participate in the challenge?" You're giving the player the option of what avenues are available to test their player skill...
True, but there's much less possibility for interesting skill/ability/circumstance combinations in that case. Again, it's very prescriptive. It lends itself to setting up series of atomic challenges, rather than challenge combinations which admit as many approaches as there are (player)character types. I'd rather have each challenge on a sliding scale of difficulty, but with the potential to influence that difficulty indirectly by using other skills.
With a boolean system, each individual challenge will always be impossible/achievable solely on its own merits. Larger challenge combinations might be possible, but an individual challenge is relatively trivial. With multi-valued/continuous skills, any atomic challenge can be a complex composite challenge for some characters (who need every indirect advantage they can get), while a simple means-to-an-end for others.

I think that the merits of a continuous system lie in challenge combinations. If you have a simple series of atomic challenges, a boolean system makes more sense - but that's not what I'd want.

...rather than some indistinct mutant hybrid that has a chaotic non-challenge at one end of the spectrum, and a predictable non-challenge at the other.
I think that's fine, so long as the "chaotic" challenge makes good sense, is rarely isolated, and relatively uncommon - and the predictable non-challenge becomes an important part of a higher-level challenge only made possible by the fluency of the non-challenge (preferably the "non-challenge" should be a challenge given the pressures of the higher level challenge).

As a game mechanic, Deus Ex's stat system got on my bad side. In order to keep from frustrating the player, most of the character choices were tepid and barely defined. Untrained in explosives? Nevermind. It's not like LAMs are hard to disable anyway! Not a trained sniper? Who cares?! You still have a sniper rifle that you can use, and the enemy is too far away to hit you while you spend 10 minutes lining up a shot!
Agreed.
I don't think this is an essential property of that kind of system though. In most cases it's a consequence of a forgiving world (at least on non-Realistic difficulty).

Perhaps the versatility/uniformity of the Deus Ex PC was in anticipation of a single play-through only?? If you're fairly sure most players won't play more than once, does it make sense to invest heavily in inter-character differentiation? Of course you can argue that the other way: with significant character variety, many more players would have been inclined to play through more than once.

I think that's pretty hard once you go to town with an essentially linear story. Not that I'm a fan of linear stories.

...then generally the lowest skill level is still serviceable. From there, a significant change is difficult, because ideally, you don't want the highest skill level to destroy the challenge. So, you end up with a spectrum between workable and challenging. Hardly leaps and bounds.
Right - but again, you're looking at each challenge as atomic. It's fine for a low skill choice to be almost useless 90% of the time, so long as an odd combination of factors can create an interesting 10%. It's fine for a very high skill to be easy (and simple+quick) in most contexts, so long as it can be a useful tool in attacking other challenges - both as a component in higher level challenges, and as support in otherwise very difficult atomic challenges.

It makes sense to keep the constraints clear if only to better enable a focused design.
If you mean "focused" as in "tailored for specific skill sets", that's not what I want to see. I'd rather have an abundance of interrelated challenges of various difficulties than a series of well considered obstacles. I really don't think that the constraints should need to be clear.

Scissors-Paper-Rock would be diminished by extrapolation (Are the scissors blunt? Is the paper wet? Is the paper big enough to encompass the entire rock? Does the rock have protruding spikes that will pierce the paper? Etc.)
Would it be? If these were included as well-defined, considered rules? It might lose it's instant appeal for young children, but I wouldn't say it'd be diminished exactly - just changed. [[In any case, it's not a great example in computing terms, since if there's entertainment in S-P-R, it's psychological - not inherent in the rules themselves. When it's translated to computer, e.g. in strategy games, it's almost invariably extrapolated - and rightly so.]]

If the designer can know instead of assume then his work becomes more informed.
And more predictable/prescriptive/linear.
My point isn't that he should assume - it's that he shouldn't need either to know or to assume. Ideally he should be able to come up with interesting challenges, and know that solutions will exist - without necessarily being able to think of any.

Of course, I believe the most appropriate approach to take is enabling of further options, rather than merely say, decreasing the margin of error.
Sure - but the second can easily lead to the first. The important point is that either should provide gameplay options.

For instance, I much prefer:
0 - can't use a pistol
1 - can use a pistol
2 - can reload without being stationary
...over...
0 - can use pistol inaccurately, slow to reload
1 - can use pistol with average accuracy and average reload speed
2 - can use pistol with deadly accuracy and reload with lighting speed
I think it's difficult to say either way in isolation. The one thing I'd definitely say is that it's undesirable for the player's focus to be on his abilities as an end in themselves. So long as gains in either system provide an interesting array of gameplay options, it's unimportant whether they grant wholly new abilities, or simply alter present ones.

I'd still be inclined to prefer inaccuracy over complete inability. I don't think missing even needs to be frustrating in general - but it must make sense if that's to be avoided.

I think one of the main benefits of discrete systems can be in the elegance (and utility) of precise balance / equivalence - e.g. in Diplomacy, Chess, Go etc. As soon as you include player skill in an activity, you've lost this. Another advantage is the possibility for precise planning/calculation/analysis. Again, you don't get this in FP/RT (usually).

Having said all this, I am aware of my own prejudices: I.e. Continuous = GOOD; Discrete = EVIL.
There should probably be a balance between the two, rather than a holy crusade one way or the other.

Surgey said:
More polygons doesn't mean it will look better. Hell, some people have put models into the original Doom. They don't even look as good as the sprites and they don't fit. Graphics are about more than how many phongs and pixel shaders you have.

You are talking about people puting 3D models in a game made with 2D sprites in mind, and that those do not look good. He is talking about someone remaking the game with 3D in mind (More like it: remaking the entire game with another engine, with huge differences in potential qualities, in mind).

Now, more polygons doesn't mean it will look better. Art Design and Style, both unrelated to the 2d vs 3d situation, will. You can have 3d looking as good, characterful, and artful as 2d - And then, with more options that back the Art and the Style (dinamic shadows, real-time modifiable enviroment, ragdoll physics and general physics, et cetera), and more complexity in interactions and animations.

Then you said:

Surgey said:
Even Doom looks better than some 3d games. We tried Hexen 2, which uses the Quake engine. We found that Doom looked better. Sprites are just really cool. They're almost irreplaceable, unless they find a way to make 3d models look and move like sprites.

You are comparing two particular cases and then acting like the entire industry is represented in this particular comparison you are mentioning. You are supporting the entire argument in an emotional, subjective consideration: They are cooler, the are irreplaceable. And then you are making out an absolute conclusion out of this emotional considerations: "We found that Doom looked better."

With your own logic i can say:

Few games, 2D or 3D, were, nor are, as characterful and stylish as Sacrifice, a 3D RTS, was. It had a personality all of its own, and the third dimension was used to convey such personality in a variety of ways, not to make it. Most 2D games have not the character, style, or personality this game had - Even today it can be pretty breathtaking. And if someone ever tries to change all monsters into sprites, they will look like shit or, worse yet, out-of-place shit. All games should use Sacrifice-like graphic engines, since they are way cooler and irreplaceable. Or at least until they manage to make sprites look and move like those pretty cool models in Sacrifice.

It is kind of obvious that 2D models will look like shit in a game made with 3D models in mind, just as the opposite is true. It has nothing to do with the discussion about 2D and 3D. It is kind of obvious that 2D models and 3D models are animated differently, what is important is: How well animated is that model in it's context? How well looking is that model in it's context? It does not even has to be 2D vs 3D - We can take some pretty cool models from anime-like japanesse games' cinematics and put them in the opening cinematic of Invisible War, and they will look like crap, no matter how cool they are in themselves or in their original context.

Fez

Erudite
Maybe what matters is a question of style and simply good art -whether it is 2D or 3D? Once you get to a certain stage in 3D development they probably won't look awful to you when you come to review them years down the road. Sacrifice still looks quite nice to me, so does Evolva, despite the march of time. I doubt they'd hold up if they were released today though. Maybe as an indie/shareware game.

Fez said:
Maybe what matters is a question of style and simply good art -whether it is 2D or 3D? Once you get to a certain stage in 3D development they probably won't look awful to you when you come to review them years down the road. Sacrifice still looks quite nice to me, so does Evolva, despite the march of time. I doubt they'd hold up if they were released today though. Maybe as an indie/shareware game.

I do not know how i could forgot about Evolva, as an example of not just well designed and characterful 3D but also of how 3D actually brought options that would have not been possible in a 2D enviroment: The real time morphing of the hunters as they feed on alien DNA, in this case.

My hat off to you for remembering it and bringing it into the discussion.

Section8

Cipher
galsiah said:
Perhaps - but only if it helps. There's no need to go for broad RPG categorizations just to give the RPG elements more impact.

I hate to use this answer in discussion, but it boils down to the sort of game you're trying to make.

Perhaps this works better in practice, but in theory I don't like this outlook. It comes at level design from a very prescriptive angle: it's useful for the designer to have a clear, simple idea of the PC's capabilities when he's crafting challenges tailored to those specific possibilities.

I'd much rather have the game designer come up with great character and world systems providing many interesting possibilities. Ideally, level designers should be able to focus on creating interesting scenarios (not solutions) - safe in the knowledge that the player will find some combination of strategies to win through.

The issue I take with that approach in a typical FPS/RPG is that the tendency is for designers to hold back on the difficulty of the scenario. It's a sensible decision, since the game is likely to follow a fairly linear sequence of scenarios, and each challenge is met with a finite pool of progression behind the player. If the game differs from that model, then the player has more freedom to approach individual challenges as they see fit, and it's not really a problem.

Consider the design of an RTS campaign scenario. A bad designer will probably think of a scenario, come up with some wonderfully cool ways to win it, then force the player into adopting one of these "cool" strategies. A good designer will think of a scenario, provide interesting combinations of challenges, but allow the player to solve things in his own way.

I definitely agree that "how it's meant to be played" is a horrible punji pit for developers. It really shows in Gothic 3. I'm not quite sure how Piranha Bytes expected combat to play out, but I'm willing to bet it wasn't "Get the first hit and keep nucking the attack button."

However, that's not what I had in mind when I mentioned a "more informed approach" to design. I'm referring to the idea of keeping the numbers and systems simple enough to be crunched effectively by a human brain, without an excess of trial and error.

So long as the basic gameplay systems are good enough, the second method produces much more interesting, replayable levels.

But, that qualifying statement becomes harder to achieve as the systems become less predictable.

If an RTS level designer needed to be clear on exact unit stats in the building of a certain scenario, it'd be a fairly safe bet that he was building a rigid scenario. If he were building a versatile scenario that empowered the player with a diverse set of options, he wouldn't need to be clear on exact stats - the gist would be fine.

I'm not talking about "exact science" here, I'm talking about a more accurate gist. For instance -

* The player can manipulate fire (0/1)
* The material is flammable (0/1)
* The enemy is vulnerable to fire (0/1)
* The enemy is empowered by fire (0/1)

That's a fairly simple set of rigid rules, and it's pretty simple to see the interplay of the various elements. Alternately:

* The player has skill in manipulating fire (0-100)
* The material has a flammability rating (0-100)
* The enemy has a degree of vulnerability to fire (0-100)
* The enemy has a degree of empowerment by fire (0-100)

The same interplay is present, but it's much more vague. Does it really present more valid gameplay opportunities, or is the end result a greater need for trial and error for both the designer and the end user? If not, to what degree is the information conveyed to the player?

Perhaps it's harder to create open, interesting, player-driven RPG(hybrid) challenges, but that's the direction I'd like to see explored. Deus Ex aimed at this with its notion of """emergent""" gameplay. It's a bit much to call it emergent, but any attempt to get away from designer-defined solutions is to be applauded.

Okay, now I think we're playing a different Deus Ex. I thought it was all overly transparent in its attempt to provide "alternate" solutions. I'm at point A, and want to get to point F. Path B has a long underwater tunnel. Path C has LAMs all over the wall. Path D has a couple of combat droids. Path E is a locked vent.

As much as it may seem that way, I'm not advocating that sort of transparent choice.

So, while I agree that a bit of discrete, broad clarity helps designers in many contexts, I'm not wild about those contexts. I'd rather see situations where slight differences in skill were always potentially important, since a small difference could combine with many other factors to create new solutions. [in theory, at least]

The view I take of that theory is that it only works if the player has an out if there's no viable solution, otherwise the solution must be tempered to a point where there's no such thing as a non-viable solution. A such, Deus Ex could never truly cater to the specialist, and the choice was between a small set of fairly tepid options.

And that of course, has to be weighed against the challenge the game provides, although challenge is not necessarily paramount.

I agree that there can be an issue with encouraging dull gameplay (e.g. extreme player patience + character ineptitude = horribly slow success). However, I object to the premise of your point: in a Deus Ex-like game, player skill is part of what defines PC ability. A player can't possibly exceed their character's ability, since a character's ability is not defined in isolation from the player.

True enough, the difficulty then becomes in estimating that hybrid ability level. Games like Oblivion underestimate it greatly, and so the game world's most difficult lock can be picked by a novice character because of the player's ability. However, is overestimation any better? Did Bethesda make a grave mistake when they expected their players to be able to read and follow simple directions in Morrowind? ;)

I'm joking, of course. As my broken record says, though - simpler systems yield more accurate predictions.

Again, I'd say that this lack of complete separation of player and character is an essential property of any FP/RT game - RPG or otherwise. Trying to maintain the idea of an independent character in this context doesn't make much sense IMO.

I'm embdracing the notion that character and player are one. The character defines what tools the player has available to them, the player defines how well those tools are employed.

[...]It's a naturally frustrating situation made incoherent by an implementation that feels wrong. Incoherent frustration is the worst possible kind. [I'd guess that exactly the same mechanic would be less frustrating if the player was told he was using a broken gun, rather than being of low skill - in that case missing a single shot by 30 degrees would be credible.]

I think things would be much improved if the lack of skill made the weapon harder to use (recoil, fire rate, reload rate...), rather than fairly simple to use, but with randomized results. The most frustrating aspect of repeated missing is the nonsense - not the missing.

The issue I take with "making the weapon harder to use" is that it's not very defining. It's definitely better than "simple, but random", but its not a deterent, and encourages tactical choices rather than personifying choices. Both valid preferences, of course. ;)

I've omitted the rest of your points, not because I'm ignoring them, but because I seem to have a fairly unified response against most of them, and that's to reiterate the stuff I've already gone over.

My favour of stronger definitions is born of two major factors. Firstly, my love of characterisation. To me, a pistolero is more interesting than a walking arsenal. Secondly, my love of replay and discovery. I love to be able to approach the same game from a fresh perspective and get an experience distinct from the first time. Even now I feel as though I ought to play SS2 and try some Psi powers I've never used. I even have Patti Hearst like relationship with Morrowind, where I keep coming back to try out a different character build, only to be disappointed, but just can't stay away.

Solomon Doone

Novice
MadReaper said:
I decided to step up to the plate at "The Codex" and hear you're guys
(there are no women on the internet) opinions about which would be
better for Fo3 2d/TB vs 3d/FPS?

I'll start with 3D/FPS

MadReaper said:
Pros:
Not being able to see everything
Exploring can become quite immersive
Rag doll physics

Atmosphere can be better.

MadReaper said:
Cons:
Fast paced combat
Probably a max of 3-5 enemies on screen at once.
Combat gets easier the more you play (player skill based)
Gets repetitive fast
Not fallouty/rpgish :( *1
No tactics *2.
Can't see you're character (such as you're Mad Max outfit)
Some skill becomes useless ex: marksman, melee*3.
No party

Somebody has been playing the most cliched FPS's out there...

1. Fallout is Fallout is Fallout, is 3rd person really that important to it? Is it ESSENTIAL to the game? Umm... No.

2. Ever played Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six? Not the bastardised and shitty sequels, but the original?

3. Umm, they do? I remember DX had a sexy system too.

Alot of people ran away from Deus Ex because combat blew ass.(standing
there waiting for you're cursor to close, great game though)
[/quote]

Now 2D/TB - with real time option ala Fo Tactics

MadReaper said:
Pros:
10 - 20 enemies at once* 1.
Combat stays balanced since it's skill based not player based *2
Tactical (combat becomes more immersive) *3
Can have a party (more characters to control) *4
Skills stay useful *5
Can see you're character (armor, weapons hanging etc) *6
Slow paced combat *7
It's fallouty/RPGish :D *8

1. And FPS's can't do that? Who the hell has been playing the shittiest FP games ever? HL2 had 30+ enemies onscreen at times.

2. Umm, do you mean "Reflex" gameplay? So, skills don't make a difference do they? That glorious FPS from Bethesda, Oblivion (It is an FPS, right?) had a skills set, I remember it working quite well, that dogshit Morrowind had the same thing. Oh, and SS, SS2, DX and co had that too.

3. Combat becomes more immersive? WTF? I remember being scared shitless in games such as Quake IV and System shock 2 at times, was the combat there not immersive? Hell, even Prince of Persia: Warrior within had some pretty hardcore combat.

4. This is dumb, I've had parties in probably 100 FP games, null and void.

5. System Shock, Deus Ex, Dark Messiah (It's got some good RPG bits) work well.

6. Ever heard of an "Observation view"? Is eye candy ALL THAT YOU CARE ABOUT?!?11?!!?!? Shame on you.

7. Really? I remember that Arcanum had some pretty hardcore combat, especially on RT, even F02 had some pretty rushed moments.

8. What the fuck? So FO is FO because it's TB and 3rd person? So, negating the characters, choices, skills and dialogue they are null and void? Well fuck me, you had me tricked.

MadReaper said:
Cons:
Can see everything (this one really is more in between pro/con since it's TB)
Can become to hard at times (I like hard games but some don't) *1

I've seen FP/RT games that are hard as all hell, even shitty racing games can be harder than you'd think, or maybe I just suck.

That's it...

Now the main agruement I hear about TB is "that shit is 10 years old" um..hello?
Did everyone forget how old FPS's are? Remember the great Wolfenstein? So why do games still use it? Now I know exatcly what you're going to say and that's "well that's
because they improved it" Bingo. So the question is how do we improve it?

Everything can be improved it's just a matter of how. Remember how long 3rd person had that crappy camera till Resident Evil 4? So simple yet it took so long. So that's what I have been thinking about.

I'd say that TB is generally a PoS for suspension of disbelief, and can slice immersion down a fair bit, like speech trees.

elander_

Arbiter
Solomon Doone said:
1. Fallout is Fallout is Fallout, is 3rd person really that important to it? Is it ESSENTIAL to the game? Umm... No.

It's important for TB games which is then important to Fallout so yes.

Solomon Doone said:
2. Ever played Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six? Not the bastardised and shitty sequels, but the original?

Yes.

Solomon Doone said:
3. Umm, they do? I remember DX had a sexy system too.

How can you compare R6 with DeusEx. R6 was the real thing and DeusEx had arcade FPS combat without any tactical realism. It was fun to experiment with the scenario but far from having a good combat system.

Solomon Doone said:
1. And FPS's can't do that? Who the hell has been playing the shittiest FP games ever? HL2 had 30+ enemies onscreen at times.

In Fallout you can have an entire city being invaded and i don't think Fallout combat is the best TB ever. It has many flows but it's still in another dimension when compared to a combat scenario in a FPS.

Solomon Doone said:
2. Umm, do you mean "Reflex" gameplay? So, skills don't make a difference do they? That glorious FPS from Bethesda, Oblivion (It is an FPS, right?) had a skills set, I remember it working quite well, that dogshit Morrowind had the same thing. Oh, and SS, SS2, DX and co had that too.

You mentioned Rainbow Six before and now you are mixng System Shock with DeusEx and Oblivion. Careful in there boy, you are mixing pearls with crap. There's a huge difference between those games in terms of quality.

Solomon Doone said:
3. Combat becomes more immersive? WTF? I remember being scared shitless in games such as Quake IV and System shock 2 at times, was the combat there not immersive? Hell, even Prince of Persia: Warrior within had some pretty hardcore combat.

Different types of immersion.

Solomon Doone said:
I'd say that TB is generally a PoS for suspension of disbelief, and can slice immersion down a fair bit, like speech trees.

Again different types of immersion. I also consider immersion as the possibility of experiencing situations in a realistic way and not just the way things look o if you are looking at your character from 1st person view or 3rd view. This is the lamest way amateur game designers find to make their games more immersive. It's not possible to do everything you can in an FPS as well and realistically as in a TB game. For example you can't possibly simulate the complexity and scenarios of a TB game in a FPS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom