Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 - Codex Opinions Thread

Demiath

Novice
spectre said:
(maybe "tactical FPS" is a better description)

Wo, hold it right there pardner, where's them tactics?

Fair enough, make it a *methodical* (as in "somewhat slower to play than your average shooter") FPS, then.

xuerebx

Erudite
I can definitely say it's not a straight up shooter, when I tried to play it like that I end up dead very fast. I barely use the FPS mode anyway, I much prefer VATS.

Heresiarch

Prophet
I must say sniping with laser rifles in F3 is one of the most satisfying FPS experience.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Topher said:
Barrow_Bug said:
to cap it all off I talk to the plucky young woman who works in the cafeteria, who welcomes me to the cafeteria (Christ, we're in a Church) and then asks what I want to eat....fuck, come on!

This has been one of my biggest disappointments with the game so far... every NPC behaves like this, can they not fucking tell that there not a fucking work? I frequently walk past an NPC and hear them proceed to proffer their wares, never mind the fact that I'm nowhere even close to their shop???
Woke one of the vampires before I realized they all basically said the same 3-4 lines. Was the shopkeeper vampire who told me to wait until he was in his shop before bartering.
Why do something right once and wrong in most other instances. It is as if there was no central design leadership and everybody was basically allowed to do their own thing. Oh, right...

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Hazelnut said:
Yup! I saw loads of posts saying the the ending was terrible before I finished it, but I still couldn't quite believe just how awful it was.
I've been very selective in what Fallout 3 news/threads I look at so as to avoid too many spoilers, so the ending really took me by surprise. Wow. There is so much wrong there I don't know where to start. Was thinking of starting a thread about it but who around here wants another Fallout 3 thread?

Anyway, I managed to finish the thing (almost accidentally) in the mid 30 hours mark. There's a heap I haven't seen. Didn't find Dogmeat. Didn't find Harold (or the Oasis). There's the whole north east part of the map I haven't set foot in. And apparently there's a kind of tribute to Lovecraft to the south west I haven't seen. Maybe I'll blank the crap main plot from my mind and go back to an earlier save for some more exploring.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Ok, finally finished the game. And the ending is just, wow. Seriously I really don't know wtf Bethsoft have in mind. The hilarious part is you can see all 4 endings so easily. I'm out of words.

Though as someone who loved Supreme Commander, I'll give my kudos to the galatic colossus part.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I finally loaded Fallout 3 back up last night, having a day off and being bored. I was level 3 and ran across a Supermutant near Arefu. I was expecting a quick death, but instead I kicked it's big, green ass. At level 3! What's sad is I can't beat Mirelurks, but I can kick the shit out of Supermutants at level 3.

Anyway, I've been to Rivot City. I've completed Arefu. At level 6, I can clean the floor with Supermutants. Big, green Supermutant brutes with miniguns, and I'm beating the shit out of them wearing Talon Armor, a Motorcycle Helmet, and a Sledgehammer. In fact, I've cleared out all the Supermutants around Rivot City.

The sad thing is, I've been killed a few times by packs of vicious dogs. Yup, vicious dogs give me more trouble than packs of Supermutants.

It's fairly crappy that VATS won't let me target body pieces with my Sledgehammer. It's even more crappy that all the alternative attacks for melee weapons have been removed. If they're going to make it real time, then they should have left a means for the melee people to fend off packs of fast moving critters. Sure, they gave melee people the right mouse click BLOCK option, but how good is that when dealing with packs of dogs? I can kill them in one to two swings, but when there's five of them, blocking just drags out the quick death.

I'm also not really happy with the fact that you can't climb over rubble. It's silly that there's artificial walls in the middle of the city just to force the player in to the sewer/dungeons just to get around. It took me forever to get to the Galaxy News Radio Plaza because it's a matter of going in to the subways and finding the right exits out of three to four exits.

Oh yeah, Liam Neison's voice acting sucks donkey dick. He drones on like he didn't want the job to begin with. For a big name actor, he did a worse job than a lot of the foreign language import game voice actors have done. He should have been sacked.

That said, I do like the radio feature in Fallout 3. If I had to point out one neat thing about Fallout 3, I think it would be the radio. I like how the stories pop up about the things I do. I like the music.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Thought I'd give this a whirl. So far I'm enjoying it, the voice acting seems much better than oblivion, but the sound is pretty bad, and there seems to be a weird difference between the way the wasteland looks at night (monochrome and angularly bad), and in the day (pretty good, all things considered).

I am getting my arse handed to me by radscorpions and fire ants though, which is a bit of a surprise. Maybe I'm just crap though.

Pliskin

Arbiter
Topher said:
Like in every genre Bethesda dabbles in... they've got a lot to learn and I have no doubt that they never will.

Especially if the game-buying public (i.e.; Joe Console) keeps enabling the disfunctional clusterfuck that is Bethesda.

I think Bethesda realizes they hit on the motherlode with "Oblivion": Code bright, shiny, lobotomized fluff that holds console smacktards by the hand and makes them feel all special. Rinse, repeat. Rake in $300 mil.

Why work at it, when mediocrity obviously pays --- and pays well? It's worked in Hollywood for decades, and the gaming industry is finally catching on that critical praise (the kind you don't pay for up front) ain't worth squat. Give the Great Unwashed plenty of 'splosions and a Happy Ending, and you'll have a franchise on yr hands. Write dialogue-driven, intelligent, well crafted story that requires a little mental comitment from the audience, and yr a boring loser.

In the Free Market Capitalist world we live in, Money talks --- and by that definition, "Fallout 3" is the Greatest Game Evah!!one111oNe1!!

Suchy

Arcane
It is better, the problem is the awkward writing would kill Al Pacino's voice acting... When the fuck will they realize that dialogue lines should be written in a way that someone could actually speak them?

Texas Red

Whiner
Either you guys are pretentious and biased or I'm borderline illiterate, because I've never had to gasp because of these supposed horrendous dialogs. While I did see the irrelevancy of many dialogs, the writing didn't strike me worse than, say, King's Bounty, as someone has mentioned.

Drakron

Arcane
Go to Andale, do the unlisted quest there and when you get out of the shed (or basement) look at the dialog choices.

They are just bad ... a lot because the tone of the choices are "Todd Howard" as the replies from the NPCs are far more neutral.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Dark Individual said:
Either you guys are pretentious and biased or I'm borderline illiterate, because I've never had to gasp because of these supposed horrendous dialogs. While I did see the irrelevancy of many dialogs, the writing didn't strike me worse than, say, King's Bounty, as someone has mentioned.

The fart joke in Three Dog's news broadcast about you leaving the vault makes me cringe every time I hear it. The amount of swearing also makes me cringe. Not because I'm a prude or anything, but it just seems to me that there wasn't a hell of a lot of swearing in Fallout or Fallout 2. The only swearing I remember from the original games was Myron saying, "Jet! Motherfuckin' Jet!" I'm sure there's more swearing in the original games, but the only one off the top of my head was Myron. In Fallout 3, nearly all the characters swear. It just kind of breaks the theme of the game.

In fact, while I really like the radio idea, it's a little wacky having Three Dog DJ and then have some 1940s jazz playing. It might have been better if they'd gone Beatnik for the DJ. The Enclave Radio station is pretty funny.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
The swearing pisses me off as well. I don't remember any of it in Fallout 1, except maybe "shit" and it was used mainly to add flavour to the speech patterns in Fallout 2. The dialogue is useless enough, there's no need to beef them up with pointless swearing.

Drakron

Arcane
The radio stations are all pretty awful, I could understand the Enclave but "DJ President" is just dumb.

GNR is so out of the Fallout Theme that is even worst.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Drakron said:
The radio stations are all pretty awful, I could understand the Enclave but "DJ President" is just dumb.

Well, the Enclave station is just there to allow the President to speak the word, kind of like fire side chats and what not. It makes more sense and actually fits the theme.

The GNR station would fit perfectly if they went with something else other than Three Dog as the DJ. Like I said, go with a beatnik or something. Three Dog is a little too Venus Flytrap aka WKRP in Cinncinnati for me.

I really like the idea of hearing the news about what's going on in the wasteland like the stuff I do, but the choice of DJ for GNR is questionable at best.

I do think Bethesda made some good attempts at fitting the theme of Fallout to Fallout 3, a lot better than Fallout 2 did. I'm actually kind of shocked they did as well as they did with the retro-future theme. It's just there's quite a few things that they dropped the ball on in a major way, like the swearing and Three Dog. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the voices of the ghouls. The ghouls sound way too much like Krusty the Klown from The Simpsons. Harold didn't sound like that, yet every ghoul in Fallout 3 sounds like that.

Drakron

Arcane
Saint_Proverbius said:
Well, the Enclave station is just there to allow the President to speak the word, kind of like fire side chats and what not. It makes more sense and actually fits the theme.

Problem is the president is the DJ, if there was a "Enclave Jane" and it broadcasted president speeches it would be one thing but that is not what happens.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Saint_Proverbius said:
Drakron said:

It does make sense. Very fitting.

I really like the idea of hearing the news about what's going on in the wasteland like the stuff I do...
Reminds me of "The Warriors" (the movie) radio broadcasts.

I do think Bethesda made some good attempts at fitting the theme of Fallout to Fallout 3, a lot better than Fallout 2 did.
Not that I disagree, but I would be very curious to read your thoughts on this matter.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Hümmelgümpf said:
How is that a problem? The president is a highly advanced computer. Clearly, he can multi-task and perform several functions at ones.

I suppose you could consider it a sly clue to that fact, but for most of the game I just thought it was a bit weird. I thought it would have been a little better to have the station's propaganda status be a little more subtly portrayed. A different presenter who played some songs, mentioned the enclave every so often, in a positive light obviously, and then occassionally played a Presidential 'fireside chat' Roosevelt style thing would have been a little better.

Solomon Doone

Novice
Shittiest, SHITTIEST ending ever.

Multiple choices for endings? Multiple pseudochoices more like, what a crock of shit, I'd have pushed someone else in there. Fail as fuck - 5/10.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom