Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 3 is a good game

I remember the point when I was finishing the Tenpenny Tower quest for the third time when "this is fucking dumb" occured to me.

At least tenpenny tower had the ghoul quest.

fBriEcj.png

neogaf bonus:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/lttp...n-playing-this-after-new-vegas.1062561/page-5

That comic is pretty gross with its coded Stormfront language with those last two panels.

Last edited:

Squid

Arbiter
I watched that Fallout 3 Is Better Than You Think again. He has some points about the criticism being too zealous in some areas (I'm not saying he's right and that Fallout 3 is great because it isn't, but this probably the high point of the video). But then he just talks about how much he loves the game essentially and really seems to be irked by Fallout New Vegas fans and likes to try to act like Fallout 3 was definitely more like Fallout 1 and 2 than New Vegas was, as he mentions things like and I feel like that's where New Vegas was the weakest entry of Fallout in this aspect a handful of times. Also, if you just fast forward to the end he says Fallout 3 was better than New Vegas because New Vegas had roads that led to places and that made the game boring but Fallout 3 is just open space and that's true player freedom and makes the game so much more fun and interesting.

Not worth 2 hours of your time.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I watched that Fallout 3 Is Better Than You Think again. He has some points about the criticism being too zealous in some areas (I'm not saying he's right and that Fallout 3 is great because it isn't, but this probably the high point of the video). But then he just talks about how much he loves the game essentially and really seems to be irked by Fallout New Vegas fans and likes to try to act like Fallout 3 was definitely more like Fallout 1 and 2 than New Vegas was, as he mentions things like and I feel like that's where New Vegas was the weakest entry of Fallout in this aspect a handful of times. Also, if you just fast forward to the end he says Fallout 3 was better than New Vegas because New Vegas had roads that led to places and that made the game boring but Fallout 3 is just open space and that's true player freedom and makes the game so much more fun and interesting.

Not worth 2 hours of your time.
Lemme guess. 'Sometimes I think the greatest evil of the internet is allowing fanboys a podium - but only when they like Fallout New Vegas.'

Squid

Arbiter
Lemme guess. 'Sometimes I think the greatest evil of the internet is allowing fanboys a podium - but only when they like Fallout New Vegas.'

He definitely tries to not be bad about it but it's there.

Codex Year of the Donut
I remember the point when I was finishing the Tenpenny Tower quest for the third time when "this is fucking dumb" occured to me.

At least tenpenny tower had the ghoul quest.

fBriEcj.png

neogaf bonus:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/lttp...n-playing-this-after-new-vegas.1062561/page-5

That comic is pretty gross with its coded Stormfront language with those last two panels.
We need to do something about the Ghoul Problem.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

He's a massive Bethesda fanboy, their games make up half his channel. You can tell that video is basically "stop telling me New Vegas is better you assholes!" from word one.

That said I do think the overwhelming hate people have for Fallout 3 on sites like this is a little overblown. That said everything here is over-fucking-blown so whatever, and the main reason the game's hated so much by so many is because it's nothing like the first two. People fucking hate sequels that aren't what they want them to be, as any game/movie forum will show.

Codex Year of the Donut

He's a massive Bethesda fanboy, their games make up half his channel. You can tell that video is basically "stop telling me New Vegas is better you assholes!" from word one.

That said I do think the overwhelming hate people have for Fallout 3 on sites like this is a little overblown. That said everything here is over-fucking-blown so whatever, and the main reason the game's hated so much by so many is because it's nothing like the first two. People fucking hate sequels that aren't what they want them to be, as any game/movie forum will show.
It's not a terrible game, it's just not that good. It has nothing to do with it not being like FO1/FO2.

Squid

Arbiter
If you have a free hour and a half, there's this one.

Seen it. It's fairly good from what I remember.

It's not a terrible game, it's just not that good. It has nothing to do with it not being like FO1/FO2
I actually agree with this. It's not an atrocity as far as a AAA open world RPG goes but it's definitely not what it should have been. They were definitely trying at times in 3 which you can't say as much for 4.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
The reason people do not like the game (if we ignore the fact its called Fallout) is because its a shit RPG, its as simple as that.

It was an ok game as open world exploration with the Wanderer Edition mod.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The reason people do not like the game (if we ignore the fact its called Fallout) is because its a shit RPG, its as simple as that.

It was an ok game as open world exploration with the Wanderer Edition mod.

I agree, but the only reason you want it to be a better RPG is because it's called Fallout 3.

typical user

Arbiter
But the game is bad. I watched that video and it was overglorifying elements that do not make the game any better. One example is Superhuman Gambit or whatever that quest was called. The video author claims it is unique and makes the game good because in that particular quest you can get a rare ending if you explore a particular location. Sure on paper it sounds great but in reality it is a waste of resources, it rewards people who didn't even think about exploring Hubris Comics HQ but those that just stumbled upon it and searched it thoroughfully. Here is how this should look like: In Fallout 1 you gain ability to persuade The Master to kill himself because you talked to Scribe Vree in Brotherhood of Steel bunker. Why is it done correctly? The bunker is a major and unique location the game tries to make it appealing by pointing out soldiers in power armors and hinting that you can join them. So most players will naturally visit it and if they search it and talk to Vree they will naturally learn the weakness of The Unity. If Fallout 3 would give a hint that you should explore Hubris Comics building then I wouldn't mind.

Then we have stuff like defending Little Lamplight. It's dumb, in normal game you would bust doors open with rocket launcher or C4 but in Fallout 3 it is impenetrable wall and you have to cooperate with retardo mayor. Plus you can't kill children because SJWs would tear Todd's skin apart from his body. The game has ugly graphics and wood combat systems that even Gothic 1 feels better and looks comperable.

The worst part is main quest about purifier how Enclave wants to turn it on only to blow it up so we can't turn it on or how our father doesn't want to turn it on as Colonel Autumn orders him because they mustn't be allowed to turn it on. Enclave in Fallout 2 doesn't have a bright plan so I heard but at least I can believe that what they do has some logic - sure genocide is never good but at least you can understand their goal. With Project Purity in Fallout 3 it just makes your head hurt. People can't filter water, they do not even care if the water is irradiated, they get by and do not complain about anything, the purifier benefits everyone yet both main factions fight over who flips the switch.

There is more, but people here on Codex already said enough about this game. Let's just agree that it is Oblivion with guns and Bethesda Studios do not have a slight clue what made Fallout great.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Finally we have definitive proof that Fallout 3 is a great game, in fact possibly the best Fallout game?

Watch and learn for a glorious two hours!

PS: I gave up after 15 minutes but its worth watching the start, as you can find out why F3 actually has better C&C than 1 and 2!!

That guy is annoying, he makes me want to kick him in the nuts, i couldn't stand more than 2 minutes of his babbling.

And about your own babbling, it just proves one thing, you know nothing about Fallout and you should probably educate yourself by playing real games, it's not too late, you can be saved ...

The worst part is main quest about purifier how Enclave wants to turn it on only to blow it up so we can't turn it on or how our father doesn't want to turn it on as Colonel Autumn orders him because they mustn't be allowed to turn it on. Enclave in Fallout 2 doesn't have a bright plan so I heard but at least I can believe that what they do has some logic - sure genocide is never good but at least you can understand their goal. With Project Purity in Fallout 3 it just makes your head hurt. People can't filter water, they do not even care if the water is irradiated, they get by and do not complain about anything, the purifier benefits everyone yet both main factions fight over who flips the switch.

That's because the objective is to just to take control of the facility from the Enclave, and by extension of the clean water (Eden explains that Autumn doesn't share the genocide itch, but he doesn't want to just distribute the water for free like local BoS). The fighting damages the reactor causing a need to go in and fix it in an heroic sacrifice. Good thing the game doesn't have several followers who have no problem with radiation with you or this would would be so silly you'd need a DLC to retcon it.

typical user

Arbiter

That's because the objective is to just to take control of the facility from the Enclave, and by extension of the clean water (Eden explains that Autumn doesn't share the genocide itch, but he doesn't want to just distribute the water for free like local BoS). The fighting damages the reactor causing a need to go in and fix it in an heroic sacrifice. Good thing the game doesn't have several followers who have no problem with radiation with you or this would would be so silly you'd need a DLC to retcon it.

And how are they going to make people pay for clean water? Just approach river with a bottle. Or I don't know purify it on your own by filtering it and boiling it up for few minutes?

Just approach the river with a bottle and hope the guys with giant laser guns don't spot you from their helicopters.

Fallout 3 radiation is a bit magic so I don't question it too much. I was just pointing out the reason for the final battle.

edit: for that matter, they do know, Megaton has a purifier for example but it's a piece of shit.

Last edited:

Master

Arbiter
It's not a terrible game, it's just not that good. It has nothing to do with it not being like FO1/FO2.

I'm talking about the anger over it, not the game. The anger is due to it being a sequel. The game itself is okay for what it is, but because it's Fallout 3 it's OMG WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT!
To an extent its because of Fallout but also the game just looks and plays really bad. Animations, lighting, voicework, gunplay - its all really bad. An American company made this? If i didnt know better and if it wasnt for Ron Perlman at the beginning i would think that its some Eastern European "rpg" like Parkan or something. Seriously, something like Two Worlds 1 looks and sounds better(at times).

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Each attempt Bethesda makes to create their own Fallout game rather than simply rehash a new TES title, has been more disastrous than the last. Aside from the outdated gameplay and lifeless settlements, Fallout 3's only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of combat mechanics, all to make roleplaying unroleplayable, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Todd Howard vetoed the idea of making anything at all innovative or original; he made sure the game would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable casual FPS pandering to dumb Oblivion fans. Fallout 3 might be fun(or not), but it’s certainly the anti-Fallout series in its refusal of spontaneity, fun and excitement.

>a-at least the atmosphere was good though
>"No!"

The atmosphere is dreadful; the worldbuilding was terrible. As I played, I noticed that every time I engaged in dialogue with an NPC the game presented me with caricaturistic personalities instead of anything resembling actual human conversation.

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time this was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Emil Pagliarulo's mind is so governed by obsession with pointless minutiae of wackyness that he has no other style of writing.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Fallout 3 might be fun(or not), but it’s certainly the anti-Fallout series in its refusal of spontaneity, fun and excitement.

Good point there. I think Bethesda utterly failed to understand the concepts of irony and subtlety from Fallout 1 & 2 and instead just dialed up the "everything is wacky and goofy" to 100. I do think they actually tried very hard with Fallout 3 & 4 and the reason they hate New Vegas so much is because it showed so clearly the utter hacks and failures at creative worldbuilding and narrative that they are.

I hate to admit this but I played some Far Harbor DLC for the first time recently and you can see a tiny glimmer of what could have been, Bethesda finally trying to make there own unique take on a post apoc environment. When you remove all of the shoe horned legacy like BoS and super mutants and constant derpy 50s refrences, it actually has a good atmosphere to it, the factions seem interesting and some of the conversations almost felt like they could be humans rather than the usual Bethesda robotic garbage. The ecosystem has some actual integrity, we finally have a reason 90% of the population are psychotic cannibal "raiders" ("The fog made them crazy" is pretty lame but its a vast step up from "LOL its Fallout so there have to be raiders everywhere!") Anyway I will not say anymore on this as I will probably receive much hate and many Bethestard tags...

Codex Year of the Donut
Far Harbor is actually pretty good. They even tried to sort of retcon the awful ending with a "maybe you actually are a synth"

I would have really preferred if the ending was that you were the one who was shot and their spouse is alive and already found Shaun. They had so much buildup with people being replaced with synths but went out of their way to never make you think that maybe you are a synth.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
To an extent its because of Fallout but also the game just looks and plays really bad. Animations, lighting, voicework, gunplay - its all really bad. An American company made this? If i didnt know better and if it wasnt for Ron Perlman at the beginning i would think that its some Eastern European "rpg" like Parkan or something. Seriously, something like Two Worlds 1 looks and sounds better(at times).

I think that's insanely exaggerated, but I'm used to reading it about Fallout 3 so whatever. Again I'm not calling it some great game, I think it's thoroughly meh and flawed. However assessments like yours are really over-the-top IMO, and I think that's because of the name on the box.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I think that's insanely exaggerated, but I'm used to reading it about Fallout 3 so whatever. Again I'm not calling it some great game, I think it's thoroughly meh and flawed. However assessments like yours are really over-the-top IMO, and I think that's because of the name on the box.

I too think Master's comment is grossly exaggerated. We have to separate our personal tastes from reality: if Fallout 3 was as Master described it, it would have flopped. Eastern European games have an additional barrier that casual players have simply no interesting in surpassing. Though not Eastern European, just look at how ELEX was received by the press.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom