Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 Preview: How Fallout 3 Is Different Than Oblivion

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Please read this preview and read some of the comments below it. I just want to make sure my sanity is intact.
With comments in the preview like:
I’m glad they decided to make combat real time, because nothing screams “I’m afraid of evolving” like turn-based fights.
So turn based sucks huh? I can't wait until we start making real-time board games. Geez they have too much thought. I need quick twitch action!
So those two major throwbacks hopefully satisfy the sensibilities of the Fallout elite. But what about the rest of us? If (*ahem*) we don’t like shooters, but we do like RPGs, is there anything in Fallout 3 for us?
Is he insinuating that the "Fallout elite" are looking for a shooter?
After reading the preview and the comments below with people gushing over the game, I am starting to feel like I must be going insane. Someone help me understand this craziness please.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I find it funny, how after that one interview VD did for RPS a longer time ago, every retard in the internets was like "OMG, YOU CAN DISLIKE REAL TIME COMBAT BUT AT LEAST DON'T SAY IT LIKE THAT!!11", but apparently kicking turn-based while it's already on the ground and then laughing at it is perfectly fine.

another funny thing:

I never played the first two Fallouts and have very little sentimental attachment...

I was able to take a look at Fallout 3 and judge for myself if it has more in common with Oblivion than it does with Fallout. And after three hours with the game, I’ve decided… it’s 50-50.

So... he never played any Fallout, but Fallout 3 is definitely a bit like the original games in his eyes. Makes sense.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Well the author is a woman, what did you expect?

Incidentally I wanted to post about this but it's too late already... Actually I did not read it whole, I stopped when she admitted that she never played Fallout but that she has a good idea of what it is. Conceited opinions are only fun for the first three hours of the day.

Also nothing says taking cheap shots by calling Fallout fans nostalgics who rejects "evolutions" in gaming. Whatever it means.

uhjghvt

Scholar
I hope that someday we're able to upgrade the game engine for the real world maybe then we'll finally be able to do away with turns and play real time FPS chess

Kogorn

Novice
I was sort of annoyed that my quest didn’t update at this point – no marker appeared on my map to tell me exactly where the cannibals had gone. I had only the vague directions of “northwest or north of here” from the dude to go on. This led me into several more encounters with roving raiders, until I eventually found an entrance to a subway.

Apparently streetsmarts is FAIL now

Relien

Scholar
Re: Fallout 3 Preview: How Fallout 3 Is Different Than Obliv

dojoteef said:
I just want to make sure my sanity is intact.
You can no longer be sure of that. If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you and all that. You've been corrupted.

Kogorn said:
I was sort of annoyed that my quest didn’t update at this point – no marker appeared on my map to tell me exactly where the cannibals had gone. I had only the vague directions of “northwest or north of here” from the dude to go on. This led me into several more encounters with roving raiders, until I eventually found an entrance to a subway.

Apparently streetsmarts is FAIL now
Plus, isn't that how directions basically work? I mean, if you don't know which direction is north, you're going to wander the wrong way. It's OMG TEH REALISM so why would it be a problem?

I cannot rightly compare Fallout with Oblivion as I never played Oblivion. Played Morrowind and it was not for me. I do enjoy how this person made several comparisons to both games when the first thing the person said was that they've never played Fallout. I did enjoy reading the people's comments. I've noticed they don't respond to anything anyone said but only say "OMG THIS GAME IS TEH BEST!!!11". So the only thing I have to say to all of this is... "Sigh"

Maybe I'll pick up Gothic and see what the rave is all about. :cool:

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
The reader responses to this game are amazing. It's the same thing on all mainstream gaming sites. I made a sarcastic post on Gamespot that just got buried all of the "OMG I CAN'T WAYT!!!!" posts. It's nuts. Console gamers must really have some seriously crappy games to choose from if they are freaking out like this over this thing.

Ion Flux said:
Console gamers must really have some seriously crappy games to choose from if they are freaking out like this over this thing.

RPG-wise, yeah. jRPGs, Jade Empire, Fable, and KOTOR have the same shitty gameplay that made mediocre stuff like Morrowind and Oblivion seem amazing. Hell, I'd take Oblivion over just about any of the aforementioned.

Silellak

Cipher
Re: Fallout 3 Preview: How Fallout 3 Is Different Than Obliv

dojoteef said:
With comments in the preview like:
I’m glad they decided to make combat real time, because nothing screams “I’m afraid of evolving” like turn-based fights.

That was my favorite quote of the article. Well, tied along with this little gem:

There isn’t a charisma mini-game, alas

Alas? Really? Yeah, it's such a huge shame we won't have that "groundbreaking" Oblivion persuade system.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Yay! I am back among like minded peoples. I knew posting on the Codex would make me feel much better about the butchering of Fallout.

Skankster

Novice
What an incredible read. Some of my life is gone now, thanks a fucking million. I think I will steer clear of these posts in future, I can't keep watching some other retard from the press leaping on the corpse and raping each orifice over and over again. I can only hope and pray that, one day, some developer in years to come takes the Oblivion name and turns it into a Turn based RPG.

Haha, was just thinking about the "evolution" of the Ultima series.

Silellak

Cipher
Skankster said:
Haha, was just thinking about the "evolution" of the Ultima series.

You know it's funny, Ultima 7 is by far one of my favorite games ever, but the combat in it is, in my opinion, absolutely horrid.

"Equip party members."
"Go into combat mode."
"Watch the little retards run around and hope you've won when they're done."
"If you didn't win, reload and try again."

Skankster

Novice
For sure. I loved 7's world, adventuring, etc. The combat totally disinterested me though. I played all Ultimas up to 7 all the way through, but gave up after that.

5 and 6 remain my favourites of the series. I think they reached the best as a whole in those two games.

bossjimbob

Liturgist
WhiskeyWolf said:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/915/915081p1.html

Another hands-on - oh boy.

To quote The Master of Master Blaster fame:

"Lift embargo."

Giant Bomb posted some hands-on time as well.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/traipsing ... eland/314/

"You can fight in real time if you want, of course, but I really started to appreciate the potential of the V.A.T.S. during this extended demo. That's the Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System, the thing that lets you pause the action and target the specific limbs, torso, or head of your enemies. Here's the best example. I ran into a Super Mutant early on in my explorations, one of the big burly gun-toting brutes who are occupying what's left of Washington, DC. Considering I was only level 2, the dude could have flattened me with his fists alone, but nevermind that; he was firing a missile launcher at me as I dodged around an old trailer. I happened to pop my V.A.T.S. when I had a good shot at his weapon, so I expended all my action points targeting his launcher and managed to get enough hits with my measly pistol to knock it out of his hands. That just pissed him off, so he charged at me. Then I targeted his right leg and unloaded into that until he was crippled and couldn't keep up with me, after which I put some distance between us and shot the guy in the face repeatedly until he went down. The V.A.T.S. made it possible to immobilize and defeat an enemy I'm pretty sure I was too weak to be fighting. That was a fun strategic moment."

According to some things I've read, you have to build up Action Points between fights. You can use them up in rapid succession, at which point I assume you have to do combat in real time (or run away like a little girl to recharge them...not sure).

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Ion Flux said:
Console gamers must really have some seriously crappy games to choose from if they are freaking out like this over this thing.

RPG-wise, yeah. jRPGs, Jade Empire, Fable, and KOTOR have the same shitty gameplay that made mediocre stuff like Morrowind and Oblivion seem amazing. Hell, I'd take Oblivion over just about any of the aforementioned.
The same.

Silellak

Cipher
Skankster said:
For sure. I loved 7's world, adventuring, etc. The combat totally disinterested me though. I played all Ultimas up to 7 all the way through, but gave up after that.

5 and 6 remain my favourites of the series. I think they reached the best as a whole in those two games.

5 is easily my second-favorite, although 6 was actually the first one I ever played.

If you enjoyed 5 (as I did), you should try Lazarus. It's still my favorite RPG of the last 5 years or so, if not longer.

The team had a true understanding of the Ultima series that the creators of Ultima IX clearly did not. It's depressing, when you consider which group of people actually got paid for their work and which it out of pure love for the franchise.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Does anyone know if the enemies target body parts? Or is there literally a 'Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System' that let's you do this? I know that it's only minor foul cry amongst many other bigger ones, but I call bullshit if that paladin brother of steel doesn't make called shots.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
both sides of all that fo3 fuss are getting really boring rather fast...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom