Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3: Van Buren (Spoilers!)

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What features would you suggest would make it an RPG?
zoomin.gif
He's kinda right though, considering the bits where there's not much of a story or C&C and the fact that all you're gonna do is fight. Hammer & Sickle I'd call an RPG, and a fucking good one.
Silent Storm, not so much.

hexer

Hey bros/mutants! Dropping by to say hello to everybody.
Hope you're doing great!

I stopped working in RPG maker and switched to Unity.
I'm learning it and it's going really well. I'm astounded by the possibilities of the engine and its support for many platforms.
From mobile to Playstation to master race PC!
For example, with a bit of smart coding you can make destructible environment and have dynamic shadows that move as the source of light moves.
In my personal RPG you will be able to set a fire to the building and watch it burn down to the ground!

Now, just imagine doing that in Van Buren ;)
I'm slowly hatching a plan in my mind to convert all of our work to Unity.
That way we won't depend on a single Belarus programmer who created Fonline,
we'll have the best free engine in the world and it will work on each update!

Just something to think about :)

hexer

Haha, no... my bank job is so dull and boring I have to escape it and create games for a living.
I'm trying to save my soul from the fires of Hell that all bankers will taste eventually.
I'm redeeming myself and dedicating my life to spreading fun and love

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Hey bros/mutants! Dropping by to say hello to everybody.
Hope you're doing great!

I stopped working in RPG maker and switched to Unity.
I'm learning it and it's going really well. I'm astounded by the possibilities of the engine and its support for many platforms.
From mobile to Playstation to master race PC!
For example, with a bit of smart coding you can make destructible environment and have dynamic shadows that move as the source of light moves.
In my personal RPG you will be able to set a fire to the building and watch it burn down to the ground!

Now, just imagine doing that in Van Buren ;)
I'm slowly hatching a plan in my mind to convert all of our work to Unity.
That way we won't depend on a single Belarus programmer who created Fonline,
we'll have the best free engine in the world and it will work on each update!

Just something to think about :)

Pretty ambitious!

Let me know how it goes though. I might be able to work as writer again someday.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Haha, no... my bank job is so dull and boring I have to escape it and create games for a living.
I'm trying to save my soul from the fires of Hell that all bankers will taste eventually.
I'm redeeming myself and dedicating my life to spreading fun and love

hexer, may I recommend Unreal Engine 4? It's 100% free with no pro version that restricts features and it uses C++ as its main language allowing greater control.

hexer

Pretty ambitious!

Let me know how it goes though. I might be able to work as writer again someday.

Of course bro! I'm counting on you :)

hexer, may I recommend Unreal Engine 4? It's 100% free with no pro version that restricts features and it uses C++ as its main language allowing greater control.

I thought Unreal Engine 4 was all about 3D... I'll check it out! My RPG is 2.5D (isometric 2D)

naossano

Cipher
I was in love with the concept of pushing the Fonline engine to some limits we never imagined before, but you guys know what suit best your project.

hexer

Fonline can only be pushed so much.
It's being developed by a single programmer(!), 90% of the documentation is in Russian, tools such as dialog editor and object editor are buggy as hell, most of SPECIAL is hardcoded...

It's not a bad engine but it just Fallout 2 + multiplayer.
There's absolutely nothing in it Unity 5 can't do better.
Unity has many 2D tools and effects I can only dream about in Fonline.

Here are some demos

Dynamic shadow and light

Physics!

3D ragdoll on a 2D sprite

Bullets / laser beams that glow in the dark

Shell casings

hexer

Light and atmospheric effects

"2D power" marketing video by Unity

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
By Crom I hope you can harness Unity's potential and make something that's not a resource hog.

hexer

That reminds me of this epicness.
Sometimes indie game development feels like this haha

Klarion

Arcane
I thought you wanted to recreate Van Buren the way it was suppose to be when Black Isle worked on it. Minus the real-time mode(nobody cares about that anyway). Isn't that what you want? Don't think they had destructable environments, dynamic shadows etc. in plan back then.

BTW, isn't there a decent amount of work you and your team had already done in FOnline engine? And now you want to scrap all that? Start all over again?
just my 2c.

hexer

I thought you wanted to recreate Van Buren the way it was suppose to be when Black Isle worked on it. Minus the real-time mode(nobody cares about that anyway). Isn't that what you want? Don't think they had destructable environments, dynamic shadows etc. in plan back then.

Our main focus is to implement 1000 pages of VB design documents and to create a fun game in the spirit of Fallout 1/2!
But with visual enhancements and gameplay features that today's technology allows us.
It's all about atmosphere + fun gameplay.
That's the holy formula right there.
You achieve that and you win at game making bro! ;)

BTW, isn't there a decent amount of work you and your team had already done in FOnline engine? And now you want to scrap all that? Start all over again?
just my 2c.

Currently VB is 12 GB, majority of that is in-game art, music (11 hours) and videos that can be converted as is.
Dialogs aren't implemented in FOnline format yet so they don't need to be converted and no quests have been scripted.

We would need to convert FOnline maps to Unity format though.
Fonline maps are stored in plaintext format so I will write a converter for that.
Similar to the program Tiled2Unity.

As for SPECIAL, it should be implemented from scratch. But that is not an issue as AngelScript (Fonline) is very similar to C# (Unity).

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Just one thing - don't make graphic with cartoonish style. You know, blocky body parts, strange proportions, wacky animations and all that jazz. Plus bright colors.
Hope I make myself clear. There is more of this than real time with pause messy games.

Last edited:

hexer

Just one thing - don't make graphic with cartoonish style. You know, blocky body parts, strange proportions, wacky animations and all that jazz. Plus bright colors.
Hope I make myself clear.

Graphics stay the same (Fallout 1/2 style) except we get dynamic lightning and other effects like those I posted above.
Think about it like pimped Fallout 1/2 2D art.

So, how probable is a next year (or two) release for Van Buren?
Next year is probable if my RPG succeeds commercially and I pay people to work on Van Buren.
In my opinion there's a solid one year of full work time left to do on the game.
The sooner I convert VB to Unity the better. I started on that this weekend.

P.S. And we'll have bigger chances of finding another programmer (besides me) in Unity's community.

hexer

So somewhere closer to FOT's style? 2D world, 3D characters?
That's a possibility. Remember we have a pixel shader that turns those smoothass 3D characters into gritty 2D Fallout style.
And we have 3D vertibird model, power armor talking heads and other 3D models we should animate and use too.

Jqnig.png

Also talk to me, man. Get on our Kodex Kool Konvo. Want your word on that SPECIAL system, too.

No problem bro. Let me finish reading some game related materials I'm on right now and then we'll get back to SPECIAL.
There are always things we can improve on, we just need the necessary knowledge :)

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
FOT had 2D characters. I used to load them into my engine.

I don't know what the right word, but I'm pretty sure that FOT characters weren't sprites. Sprites are the problem here - editing them is hell. I don't know the correct term for FOT's chars.

FOT characters are sprites. They use some overlay tricks like Diablo 2 sprites, and they have antialiased edges. But they're still 100% 2D bitmap honest-to-goodness sprites.

Sagez

Novice
Hi hexer,

What's new? Is there any progress with Van Buren made with Unity? Or do you just work on your commercial game at the moment?

Sagez

Novice
Yeah, I know, but it looks like there are two Van Burens being made - one by hexer with Unity and the second one by the rest of the team with fonline engine. It makes a difference so I was curious how is hexer doing.

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
Yeah, I know, but it looks like there are two Van Burens being made - one by hexer with Unity and the second one by the rest of the team with fonline engine
No, there's only one (in fonline).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom