Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3: Van Buren (Spoilers!)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yea, road signs and similar are really all the things I'd rely on.

Once the holidays are over (or if I get inspiration on Christmas night), I'll write up the dialogue and dialogue-quest roadmaps for the Nursery and Reservation (a wonderful excuse to improve my film literacy and see Apocalypse Now).

EDIT: Also, one thing that I've been thinking about Tibbets (once I'm done with the first stuff, I'd be pleased to tackle Tibbets writing and early design)... It's the fact that one thing about the Prisoner was never made very clear in any of the documents is his origin. Basically, the implication that the PC would ever have been outside Tibbets is nonsense if you ask me. Tibbets is a highly advanced (for the Wasteland) completely sealed and self-sufficient penal facility. It's like a Vault version of a North Korean Re-Education Camp. I don't even think ULYSSES is bringing anyone new in, heck Presper's idea is to breach the prison just so ULYSSES' eroded programming will just think it's getting in more and more Limit 118 victims so it transmits the launch codes for BOMB-001.

So in a sense it makes sense that the isolated prison is a community to itself, and the PC is thus a descendent of Pre-War deserters and high-risk criminals. I'd say it works as a fairly good narrative device for the old "explain all the shit you encounter so everyone can get it" shtick you need to worry about with an audience. And of course, the "prison town" is a pretty nice idea to work with when it comes to establishing the town itself, one that we need to tackle anyway since the Tibbets document only has the background and idea around the place and its function in the main quest.

Well it's either that or my speedreading of the documents has failed me.

Last edited:

hexer

Grand Canyon is still a canyon but it was exploited for uranium by private mining companies. It's one of the most dangerous places in the game (I like that) with location-exclusive mutants! (YESSS!)

As for Tibbets, the Prisoner was transferred there by ODYSSEUS (Derek Greenway used Roman names so ULYSSES is obsolete) from another prison (he doesn't remember the actual transfer) because he got infected by Presper (somehow) and ODYSSEUS is gathering all the sick people. He's not aware of being infected by Limit 115 until later in the game.

The problem with your idea of the Prisoner being a descendant of Tibbets' community is that the Tibbets isn't a community but a series of isolated cells. There was no contact between prisoners whatsoever, ever. Please read this thread to get a shitload of info directly from developers. It cleared a lot of questions for me!

http://www.nma-fallout.com/showthread.php?178406-Van-Buren-main-plot-and-the-missing-doc-13

Also I contacted JE Sawyer in hopes of him being able to help us so we'll see if he can in any way. Any little info helps me a lot.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Chris Avellone also generally replies very often to such requests. Just drop him a message, I have done so quite often as well.

hexer

Thanks, I've sent him the message. I don't know if he'll ever see it since we're not "FB friends" and thus the message is thrown into some secondary inbox.

hexer

Thank you Crooked Bee , I've sent him the email!

In other news, we're in need of critter artists so if you know anyone willing to help us, let us know.

hexer

UPDATE #3

Current team lineup: Kamoho (writer), Vaarna_Aarne (writer), hexer (everything else)

Another big week is behind me! I started sifting through my 70+ GB of Fallout related stuff to see what will be used and what won't. Years of collecting FO stuff finally started to pay off.

Say hello to Mr. and Mrs. Prisoner. They make a cute couple.

uVEQI4B.png

Jaesun generously gave us one of his dark ambient songs. The song is very creepy and will be used in 3 locations! Thank you, bro!

Tibbets' maps have been remade in the light of the new info I found from developers' forum posts.
Basic layout for Hoover Dam (15 maps), Burham Springs (4 maps), and Ouroboros (6 maps) has been finished. At the moment I'm making Boulder Dome (4 maps so far). After that I'm moving on to Dogtown which will have approximately 30 maps (wtf BIS)

I also opened some alternative accounts for those who want to follow updates through those channels.

Mod DB: http://www.moddb.com/mods/f3-van-buren
Twitter: https://twitter.com/f3vanburen
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/f3vanburen

Lastly, here's the main menu screenshot! I'm still waiting for the artist to allow us to use his image - hopefully he'll allow it.

Although the game doesn't include the Enclave the image is here because:

- It looks similar to Fallout 2 and creates a connection to the previous game(s) which featured an armored guy in the main menu. This is being made in FO2 engine after all.
- It foreshadows the disease-ridden plot of Van Buren. Nothing is safe, not even a soldier in an Advanced Power Armor.
- It looks wicked and fallouty.

V1lWtA1.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Rake

Arcane
Damn, i want this game more than Wasteland 2... finish it quickly!

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
minor nitpicking here but the prisoner's jumpsuits are dark gray / orange.

hexer

Those models were made for something else, not Van Buren. I found them in my FO collection today. Orange is on the todo list.

Hmmm.. art is very cool but I think you should have gotten permission from artist before you used/showed anything. People on deviantart can be really anal about this stuff from what I hear. That aside it does look like you're actually making some good progress. I hope your enthusiasm won't burn out.

hexer

Sometimes I act before I get a green light - hopefully Gore is a bro and will support us!

hexer

One of the cut locations from VB was Caesar's Legion camp. Are we going to implement that?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, given how we've got New Vegas to give us a handle, I'd say it's only a matter of art assets. If someone makes us Caesar's Legion sprites, why not?

hexer

I don't think those sprites are really that necessary. They were exaggerated and over the top. I have nothing against being influenced by Romans but cosplaying makes no sense. It somehow devalues the whole idea. What do you think?

Also, it would make sense to have them since Hecate is there for the females.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
The basic idea behind New Vegas' Legion was nice, but the implementation felt just wrong and lazy. And they managed to avoid all actually interesting and decent Roman-related stuff that comes to mind - extensive use of large shields and formations, scrapmetal loricas...

If you include them, please do make them at least more subtle abut the Roman imagery.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom