Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 was better than Fallout 4

Darkman

Educated
Here is why

DIAGLOUE WHEEL

For all it's faults Fallout 3 at least had choices and actual dialogue options. The writing is poor, but at least they tried. What dialogue does Fallout 4 have?

Yes
^
No< > Sarcastic
v
Moar caps

TOO MUCH SETTLEMENT FOCUS

They devoted way too much to the settlement stuff. Feels like half the locations on the map exist just to be made into settlements. There are several DLC devoted purely to settlements instead of actual story based DLC with new places to explore. Nuka World will be the only story based DLC added in FO4 after Far Harbor. Fallout 3 had five story based DLC while FO4 will only have two, with the rest devoted primarily to settlements

NO ABILITY TO ROLE PLAY

Ties into the overly restrictive dialogue wheel but I think the prescribed past they tack onto your character is a big problem too. Being a war vet, having a law degree and being a parent already tacks on several prescribed traits and says a lot about your personality and interests. Hard to imagine an idiot who managed to get a law degree. Or some wimpy nerd who turns out to be a war vet. Maby the cryo sleep addled your brains and atrophied your muscles? It's nowhere near as a vague a past as being a simple vault dweller or courier with those backstories you can fill in almost any personality type.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"I'm looking for my father, a middle-aged guy. Have you seen him?"
"[Intelligence]: I'm looking for a middle-aged father, have you seen him?"
"[Perception]: I'm looking for my guy, a middle-aged father. Have you seen him? "
"[Perceptive Intelligence]: My father is kinda middle for his age, have you seen this guy?"
"[Intelligent perception]: Have you seen this middle-aged guy, he's my father."

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I'm looking for a good game, for middle-aged guys. Have you seen any?

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I hate voiced dialogue for the player character. It just kills any game for me.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You could roleplay in 3?

NcF0Uov.jpg

Darkman

Educated
Were pretty bad feels like they at least tried to make F03 a RPG. F04 is a streamlined shooter all the way through.

Lios

Cipher
I havent' and will not play fallout4 but it's common sense rthat New vegas is far better.

Coma White

Educated
Fallout 3 is one of the worst things to ever happen to RPGs. At least Fallout the fourth was at times a competent shooter.

Comparing either of these games to New Vegas is like comparing second-grade homework to a PhD thesis.

Red Rogue

Learned
I'm inclined to agree.

New Vegas >>>>>>> 3 >> 4.

Fallout 3 at least had skill points. It had a few instances of checks, I think most of these were based on your SPECIAL. It had dialog trees and silent protag allowed for a greater variety of roleplay than what you get with Fallout 4.

Voiced protag in general really disappointed me. For something like Mass Effect and The Witcher it's acceptable because from the beginning the developers were writing for that character, but to throw a voiced protagonist in the middle of a franchise just sticks out like a sore thumb.

Severian Silk

I'm considering recording voice tracks for Fallout 1 & 2. Would that make a good mod?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
New Vegas > FO4 > FO3

If I had to pick two games, NV and FO4 would be them. NV is basically a much better FO3, so why do I even need it when FO4 gives me the CoD - Minecraft experience?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For you, the day Fallout 3 was released was the most important day of your life. But for me... it was Tuesday.

Red Rogue

Learned
New Vegas > FO4 > FO3

If I had to pick two games, NV and FO4 would be them. NV is basically a much better FO3, so why do I even need it when FO4 gives me the CoD - Minecraft experience?

Wasteland Minecraft was really a neat idea but they leaned on it too hard. I would've preferred if they gave me one or two big locations to build a community on. Going around getting the materials for all the shit hole settlements to have radios and what not for the Minutemen was a pain. I actually avoided the faction entirely because I was bored after 3 settlements.

ortucis

Prophet
Fallout 3 is still trying to be an RPG. Bethesda fixed that with Fallout 4 by making it a shooter.

So if you play F4 as a shooter, you will probably enjoy it. But if you are one of those people who can't get over Bethesda shitting all over an established RPG IP, then you're gonna have a bad time.

I still haven't finished it. Found it to be an average shooter (mechanics have definitely been improved, thanks to iD's help) with even more banal shit boring world than Fallout 3.

They really need to hire Obsidian to save the IP. Then again, they made billions of dollars already, so I doubt it that they think it needs saving.

Then again, they made billions of dollars already, so I doubt it that they think it needs saving.

Ayup. Even the people who slobbered all over it mentioned how creaky they thought the engine to be, so that's finally being replaced. But for all the snipes and comparisons to New Vegas Fallout 4 still sold ungodly well. Combined with sales of the Season Pass Zenimax and Bethesda still couldn't give less of a fuck.

Disagree, the existence of NV is enough to invalidate the few decent aspects that F3 had by showing how to do them correctly.
Fallout 3 is just a shooter under the guise of being an RPG, Fallout 4 is obviously the same, but with actually competent combat.
Fallout 3 had no narrative choice, you would always fight alongside the shitty SJW abomination that was the east coast BoS, Fallout 4 offered 4 factions and made the BoS Great Again.:mrpresident: It also didn't suffer from the worst ending known to man. FO4 also didn't commit any unforgivable sins like turning Harold into a tree, or be an overall unoriginal derivative carbon ripoff of the first two Fallout games filled with nothing but failed re-imaginings. It's offerings may not be great, but it added something, anything, whereas the most we got from FO3 was Mutated mudcrabs.
Fallout 3 had cardboard unmemorable shit companions and characters, Fallout 4's companions aren't great but leagues above the trash in Fo3.
FO4 may be a pretty shitty RPG and a poor Fallout game, but so was 3, at least 4 has decent combat and an expansive crafting system to compensate.
FNV >>>>>>>> FO4 > FO3
I mean, when's the last time you played FO3? It was the most incompetent, ugly, and clunky shooter/RPG in existence. At the least you can say that FO4 had a colour palette that didn't look like Supermutant diarrhea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom