Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Completely unlike the people at Obsidian, Larian, SSI, Eidos, Bioware, EA, CDP, randomindiestudio, who are all just in for the fun and games!

Well sure they're all businesses, but, regardless of how you might feel about them personally, I think it's pretty inarguable that JES and Swen are more interested than Todd in making games they themselves would want to play.

Kalasanty11

Learned
One thing that a lot of people don't like about NV, which is actually somewhat legit, is that it's a lot less open than F3, in the sense that those mountains in the middle of the map limit your possible options of where to go, and the difficult enemies north of Goodsprings combined with those mountains sorta railroad you into following the storyline path: Goodsprings -> Primm -> Nipton -> etc. There are some counter-arguments that can be made about that, such as this being necessary for a more story driven experience, or that you can find ways to circumvent it, but I do think it is a valid point.
One of the things you find in Goodsprings is a stealthboy. It's there practically for this purpose. You can get to Vegas in about 15 minutes. NV is less linear than F3, it only forces player to use his brain... which I guess is not very popular nowadays.

As for moral greyness - there are 4 choices, but many people like to act like it's only NCR vs Legion for some reason.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
If someone does care about walking around the map, looking at things, and finding places.. FO3 is the superior experience.

0TKQeQv.png

pippin

Well sure they're all businesses, but, regardless of how you might feel about them personally, I think it's pretty inarguable that JES and Swen are more interested than Todd in making games they themselves would want to play.

If I remember correctly, Swen thought the basic idea of DOS under this premise.

One of the things you find in Goodsprings is a stealthboy. It's there practically for this purpose. You can get to Vegas in about 15 minutes. NV is less linear than F3, it only forces player to use his brain... which I guess is not very popular nowadays.

As for moral greyness - there are 4 choices, but many people like to act like it's only NCR vs Legion for some reason.

Josh once said people only tried to go north using one method: all guns blazing. They would try many times without thinking of another tactic. I still think Yes Man was introduced as a crutch for people who didn't understood the faction system.

If someone does care about walking around the map, looking at things, and finding places, which many people do going by how well Bethesda games sell, FO3 is the superior experience.

This is simply not true. Fallout New Vegas have more functional places and locations, both in terms of gameplay and story.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Fallout 3 on metacritic has 2,193 positive votes with 91 metascore

New vegas on metacritic 1,764 positive votes with 84 metascore

:M

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Not to mention golden reviews like this one

More of the same. Looks and plays exactly like Fallout 3 with some minor adjustments that are for the better but don't take away the fact that you're playing a re-hash of a game you already bought. I couldn't put up with the uninteresting characters, endless walking around and inane plots any longer and just quit.The writing is infinitely better in Fallout 3. It's an interesting story, and a lot of fun... in theory

or this

You really know a game is weak when it's worse in most ways than the one that came before it. In Fallout 3 was a variety of fascinating architecture; here, it's prefab virtual representations of real prefab architecture. What more exciting place for adventure than a open desert? Bethesda must be insane. In Fallout 3, you never quite knew what plot challenge faced you: It was important to think carefully and frequently, or else. Here, I'm on automatic. I don't even bother to think up a tactic, don't even bother to avoid bullets: Just charge in and whack 'em. I've been playing for 5 hours. I doubt I can stand 5 more. But I am thinking of reinstalling Fallout 3, just one more time. For the FUN of it

'fascinating architecture' :lol:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Completely unlike the people at Obsidian, Larian, SSI, Eidos, Bioware, EA, CDP, randomindiestudio, who are all just in for the fun and games!

On what basis you find that so inarguable? Have you been having dinner at their place for years, long enough to acquire a solid and in-depth enough knowledge of their character and purposes, without telling us?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
They are not arguing, they are convinced that Bethesda made a better game :M

Lemming42

Arcane
The reason people argue that Fo3 has better exploration is because it's designed, as people often point out as a criticism, like a theme park. That's how Bethesda go about making games, the same thing can be seen in Oblivion and Skyrim. If you start walking in any direction in Fallout 3, the screen will be filled with all kinds of ridiculous shit, whether its a Super Mutant Behemoth guarding a teddy bear, one of those skeleton-filled houses that Tim Cain spunked over, the stupid Lovecraft building etc. To someone looking to play a pure action-adventure game (in other words, most of Fallout 3's fans) this is a good thing, because you're never more than 5 minutes away from a nuclear-exploding car or whatever.

New Vegas is more grounded in coherency and at least semi-logical worldbuilding, meaning that if you start walking in any given direction in New Vegas, you'll come across towns, ruined wasteland, NCR camps, raider outposts and so on. There won't be any mega-cool nuclear car blast chain reactions, no giant Super Mutants locked inexplicably in cages waiting for you to free them so they can go apeshit and destroy everything, no glitchy Lovecraftian buildings, no caves filled with little kids who say "fuck", no wicked-sick-uber-awesome hidden weapons that let you blast people's heads off by firing teddy bears at them etc.

So if you're someone who doesn't give a shit about logical worldbuilding, coherency in the setting and creating a believable world but does want to see Todd's coolest and raddest ideas, Fallout 3 provides all the action thrills and weird hidden shit you're looking for. To those people, Fallout 3 does have better exploration for that reason. To people who are interested in lore and all the stuff standard Fallout 3 fans aren't interested in, exploring the map of New Vegas and piecing together how everything works is much more rewarding. I don't even mean that as a criticism of Fallout 3 or it's fans necessarily, I think it is actually genuinely entertaining to see what kind of weird shit ends up in Bethesda games.

EDIT: Managed to post an unfinished message :negative:

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's even funnier when you compare the development times.

In fairness Bethesda had to spend a large amount of time refactoring their engine. It didn't go from Oblivion to Fallout 3 magically overnight (assets included).
Think about how much asset reuse New Vegas had (from FO3). Vegas was the better game and they definitely put the engine / assets to better use, no doubt - but Bethesda had the brunt of the work so that's not really a fair argument.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There aren't that many invisible walls in New Vegas. Certainly not as many as the visible walls in FO3 as mentioned: piles of rubble everywhere. Downtown DC is a joke. And the landscape all looks the same.

Jed

Cipher
I played them nearly back-to-back. And, yeah, I recognize NV is the better game ... but I had a lot more fun with 3. Also, the Legion kind of kills NV, in my opinion.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
In the end it still is Fallout, Bethesda cannot make it any more worse than fallout 3 or new vegas, can they?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom