Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
The sole FPS mechanics are no worse than F1/2's tb combat mechanics.

What an idiot.

1311372147348.jpg

No wonder the declined games are such popular, because they cater to the idiot crowd, while a game with real mechanics that takes some time to learn and understand simply cannot be understood by the said idiots.

Gord

Arcane
So if F3 was, quality wise, the same in every other aspect as FO1 /2 save for the perspective, it would still be a shitty game?

Yes because it would be cumbersome, F3 is a shitty game and so is NV.

The only Fallouts the hivemind should acknowledge is 1 and 2. F3 and NV does not exist because they are not turn based and don't have isometric mode - they are just oblibion with guns.

Oh you are so edgy, please tell me how to become edgy like you!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
MY IMMERSION

HURR DERP. If it tries so desperately to be immersive (character creation should stay the fuck out of the game itself, anyway) then it should at least not fail so spectacularly at it. Also, the discussion was about good writing, yes, retard? That is not good writing. HURR. Trying too hard.
Nice try playing the "you're an immersion fag" card on me, though. Doesn't really work, but nice try. That's something you didn't do so far.

This same old shit about engines again.

Yeah, let's make a shooter in an engine that obviously can't handle it. Nothing can go wrong with that. Oh oh, I'm totally level-headed because I don't care about engines. Let's do Fallout in Fifa's engine. Who cares about engines if the WRITING IS GOOD AND AVALONE WRITES IT????

As I stated, disregard VATS which is shit to everyone with half a brain.

Oh, right. Well, OK. Let's disregard RT in Arcanum then. Seems only fair, huh?
And if we disregard VATS, then what do we have? The worst shooter mechanics I've ever seen.

The sole FPS mechanics are no worse than F1/2's tb combat mechanics.

So, some pathetic shooter mechanics with some skills are somehow the same as a basic, but at least solid, turn-based combat?
Got nothing to do with being a fanboy, it's simple maths. Of course, if you weren't an extreme case of "I'M SO LEVEL HEADED CUZ I ALWAYS STAY IN THE MIDDELE AND LAF AT FANBOYS", maybe you'd see it.

LOL that's like choosing between two turds. Sane people don't make a choice between the two.

No. Arcanum's TB combat is comparable with the one in Fallout 1&2. It's worse in some aspects and it's main problem is that it's very very basic and that well, the encounters are shit, but I'd take that anytime over the clusterfuck of trying to play a FPS in the worst FPS implementation ever.

REGARDLESS. Fucking strafing, bunny-hoping and whatever the fuck else (which is shit anyway in Fallout 3), does not belong in Fallout. So, no matter how good or the same as Arcanum you think it is, it still doesn't belong.

dextermorgan

Arcane
All the little details like the combat text, crit descriptions, different animations and stuff add a lot to it.
I'd venture to say that the constant risk of a death by critical, as well as unpredictability of your followers and their propensity for shooting you in the back kept you on edge during enemy turn and actually added FUN to combat. The only tedious part about it was fighting in a hub with lots of neutral critters.

MCA
I thought everyone bitched about exactly those points. "WHAAAA YOU DIE TOO EASILY AND TOO FREQUENTLY IN FALLOUT!!"

I wonder how different the perception would be if people were forced to play it ironman. When played sensibly, combat in FO1/2 isn't that exploitable because constantly spamming "AIM FOR TEH EYES OLOLOLO" crap requires you to fail a lot and reload a lot. That shit simply doesn't fly when you play it ironman and simple have to survive every combat encounter.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
The deathclaw kind of embodied everything that was wrong with combat in Fallout.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The deathclaw kind of embodied everything that was wrong with combat in Fallout.
Fallout's combat was not perfect - the very idea of a single character turn-based game is stupid - but I simply never fought the Deathclaws in my first run for much of the time. I always sneaked past them to reach the Gun Runners.

I really just returned to them after my character buffed himself up with a lot of firepower and was near Level 8 or 9 in my first playthrough. I don't think low level characters were meant to fight those creatures. At all. High level characters can obviously make short work of them.

We could say Deathclaws were bad if we were forced to fight them very early. That wasn't the case.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I have zero doubt that people couldn't get past the deathclaw nest by killing it and therefore gave up on that particular quest.

Also, F3's combat... it is totally impossible to call its mechanics as good (or bad) as F1/2's unless you're disregarding we're talking about an RPG. It takes the RPG and wipes its ass with it, which is precisely the opposite of what 1/2 did. Only in an FPS game would you consider 3's combat to be anything above functional (because it's actually braindead simple compared to what, Halo?).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
yes, I obviously only hate Arcanum's combat because it is cool. Not because it for my playthrough consisted solely of clicking the Harm-icon and nothing else. I tell you, that shit was FUN

FeelTheRads

Arcane
yes, I obviously only hate Arcanum's combat because it is cool. Not because it for my playthrough consisted solely of clicking the Harm-icon and nothing else. I tell you, that shit was FUN

Well, you must ignore the harm spell then, just like you ignore VATS in Fallout 3. :roll:

Seriously, though, if you can't play Arcanum with anything else besides a harm-mage, then I'll just assume you're one of those "the only way to play Arcanum is with a harm-mage because it's the strongest, but it sucks because it's unbalanced" idiots.

At least in Arcanum you have a variety of builds that can make combat more interesting. Ignoring VATS in Fallout 3 doesn't really help at all.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Wait, so if there is one best way to play the game, you should choose the second or third best way just to keep things more varied?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
For my second playthrough (which didn't complete) I used lots of stuff instead of harm which I barred myself from. Alas, the broken mechanics of a horrible combat-system were not saved by barring myself from the one spell that had made it all OK because it allowed me to skip it.

Fallout: New Vegas is just a mediocre first-person shooter. Arcanum was an insult to turn-based combat; one of the worst combat designs ever made.

Also: I used VATS in Fallout: New Vegas, don't know why you auto-include me among the mob that doesn't. Still just a mediocre first-person shooter.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Wait, so if there is one best way to play the game, you should choose the second or third best way just to keep things more varied?

Wyrmlord, did I tell you lately you're a moron?

No, it's not about gimping your character intentionally. It's about playing another character. If RPGs are indented to be played with just the "perfect" build then why the hell are there other options in the first place?
Arcanum's balance is badly broken, yes, but how does that stop you from playing other builds is beyond me.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Guys, I think Wyrmlord finally divined what RPGs are all about!
They're not about playing various builds and dealing with their shortcomings and selection of skills, they're about finding the one broken, completely superior build and playing that exact one over and over again! Finally, the mystery is revealed! RPGs are like Quake, but with more numbers!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Man, you are reacting like I insulted your mother. It's called videogames, and if you are a grown man getting your panties in a twist over them, you should seek help.

visions

Arcane

It is rational to choose the way which is the most enjoyable to oneself, instead of obsessing over what is the most optimal build, if you know you won't enjoy it as much. Surely the best way to play a game is such that you get the most enjoyment out of it.

Saying you should always choose the "best" build since it's the best way to play a game is like always choosing the most advantegeous side/army in a strategy game, instead of the one that you think would enjoy playing the most and making that work.

MY IMMERSION

HURR DERP. If it tries so desperately to be immersive (character creation should stay the fuck out of the game itself, anyway) then it should at least not fail so spectacularly at it. Also, the discussion was about good writing, yes, retard? That is not good writing. HURR. Trying too hard.
Nice try playing the "you're an immersion fag" card on me, though. Doesn't really work, but nice try. That's something you didn't do so far.

BLARGH THAT WAS THE WRONG MOMENT TO ASK FOR MY CHARACTERS SEX not an immersion fag, srsly

No really, that's gotta be one of the stupidest complaints I've ever heard about any game, and I'm counting that guy who said Arcanum was too restrictive because he wanted to create a magic machinegun that shoots fireballs and the game wouldn't let him. I'd give you a tag for that if I could.

FeelTheRads
The writing in New Vegas'
chargen was disappointing,
to say the least

aris

Arcane
the very idea of a single character turn-based game is stupid
Thank you. Glad I'm not the only one to think this: At the very least not with such a simplistic combat is in fallout, where the only thing you can do is to click on the enemy. Anyway, something completely unrelated: I just remembered you said one of the jrpg threads, that if there is no room for discussing jrpgs, then neither is there for PS:T. I enquired what you meant with this, but I don't think I ever got an answer. An answer, please? I'm actually pretty curious :desu:

On a more related note, It is incromprehensible to me how anyone can like fallout 1s combat if you're bashing arcanum's. (I didn't like the combat in arcanum by the way, which someone misunderstood)

Captain Shrek

the very idea of a single character turn-based game is stupid
Thank you. Glad I'm not the only one to think this: At the very least not with such a simplistic combat is in fallout, where the only thing you can do is to click on the enemy. Anyway, something completely unrelated: I just remembered you said one of the jrpg threads, that if there is no room for discussing jrpgs, then neither is there for PS:T. I enquired what you meant with this, but I don't think I ever got an answer. An answer, please? I'm actually pretty curious :desu:
Just one question:

Are you the same guy who claimed that D3 is better than D2? Or am I confusing in some way?

aris

Arcane
You are definitely confused.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom