Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gord

Arcane
Suppose they upgrade the engine a bit more from the Skyrim version (esp. better shadows and lighting system), it will look good enough for next-gen, esp. since next-gen will be riddled with what will basically be old-gen ports for the next one or two years (FO4 likely being no exception).

Lhynn

Arcane
Suppose they upgrade the engine a bit more from the Skyrim version (esp. better shadows and lighting system), it will look good enough for current-gen, esp. since next-gen will be riddled with what will basically be old-gen ports for the next one or two years (FO4 likely being no exception).
Carry on.

Athelas

Arcane
If Bethesda wasn't staffed entirely by idiots, one would be inclined to think it was a subtle meta-commentary on their fanbase.

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Everyone, let's predict the dialogue of future Developer Walkthroughs by Todd Howard in a poor, but sadly succeeding, attempt to hype Fallout 4.

"Dialogue now has more deep and meaningful impact in the game. It's no longer about making a black or white choice."
*GRAY ACTIONS CONFIRMED!*

Last edited:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Bethesda have said since shortly after buying id that they were not going to use an id engine for Bethesda Game Studios games. The core Fallout and Elder Scrolls team have a good thing going with updating the same old engine and making content for it quickly, and that shit sells great no matter what people on forums say about it.

railway

Educated
Rather, North America is a big fucking place. I'd certainly love to see something further east, such as Texas/Northern Mexico.

I'd like them to go even further eastwards to Louisiana/Mississippi.
Drink some whisky, tune the radio to some old blues and shoot mutated alligators with a laser rifle in the swamps.

Then again I don't really look forward to another Bethesda Fallout, no matter the setting (and Obsidian appear pretty occupied with PE).

set

Cipher
Please, no more Caeser's Leagion. I don't even want to hear about their remnants doing stupid shit. Please let them stay dead.

Modron

Arcane
Post apocalyptic midwest would pretty much look like pre-apocalyptic midwest; don't really see the appeal as a setting.

Please, no more Caeser's Leagion. I don't even want to hear about their remnants doing stupid shit. Please let them stay dead.
Good Beth fanboy impersonation.

Something has to be dead, in order for it to remain dead. Seeing as Caesar's territory is the most expansive of any faction in Fallout, even excluding the addition of the newly conquered mojave, there's little chance of that happening.

I definitely want some mention of the legion, at least more than the half mention of Beth's brotherhood in Vegas.(Which was more than they deserved imo.)

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron

You really wanna go down that path? You really want to see Bethesda try something original when they couldn't even get BoS right?

set

Cipher
Caesar's Legion was executed just so ham-fistedly awkward for me in NV. The best thing they ever did was fuck with that small town you inevitably stumble upon towards the start of the game. That lottery event was twistedly sick and the way you could interaect with the various legion NPCs there was various, diverse, and actually resulted in tons of long-term effects, especially if you later sided with the Legion.

But everything else about the Legion's implementation was god awful. I could not see them as a credible threat from a military standpoint. I did not find Caesar charismatic or insightful or even fucking thinking straight. It did not help they were abusive slavers, rapists and aggressive murderers without a shred of decency. It did not help one bit there wasn't a single Legion-sympathetic NPC worth giving a rats' ass about, or that siding with the Legion made you feel like an idiot, constantly killing smart people for no reason other than to satisfy Caesar's stupid plan that never made any sense in fucking ever. And how could even feel good being a raving bloodthirsty raider? To roleplay as one of the Legion, you have to dress up in a silly costume barely better than a toga and start speaking latin. Give me a break! I could get behind it if they had some stupid, ridiculous warcry, or acted like feral native tribesmen or something, but there's just no- it just doesn't feel fun, killing and murdering people haphazardly as a member of the Legion. I'd rather be a lone desperado.

Also, it pissed me off I would see dozens of NCR troops all over the Mojave, while I never saw more than three or four Legionaires at a camp at any given time. Hell, their biggest encampment outside the main one was that camp by the river, and they had what, ten people there guarding it? How did they even hold such a vital point with such a flimsy amount of protection? I get they probably had way more troops, but Obsidian never did them justice. They were never ever impressive to me, it always felt like they had nobody to fight with. It was hard to imagine them actually fighting the NCR with the scant number of troops you ever encounter.

Yes, the NCR is a corrupt blob of shit, but it's far better than Caesar's Legion taking over. They are a stupid antagonist group - their cause sucks, their aesthetics suck, their means of warfare are boring and their most charismatic NPCs are dim. I would rather have the canon story be Caesar got killed at the battle for the dam and all of the Legion's territory opened up in in-fighting, with various warlords breaking off and forming their own city-states or whatever. Caesar's Legion was not really any better than Bethesda's miserable attempt at any of the 'factions' found in FO3.

At least the NPCs you meet in the NCR are varied, with a huge plethora of motives and thoughts, making their cause seem more human. All of the Legion's NPCs you ever interact with are one-dimensional slaves at worst, and two-line curs at best.

It's not like we need the Legion in the FO universe. There are plenty of ways for there to be muderous bands of roving lunatics in your average FO game - hell, let's support the removal of the Legion just for the sake of variety. I liked the Khans, to some extent, and think they showed more promise as an interesting band to support. They were brutally beaten back by the NCR, they have some sort of heritage of 'honor' or whatever (I forget, they were kind of bland as well, but they had better potential than what we got out of the Legion). You can see them as an underdog fighting back for revenge, to reclaim some lost glory they had.

With the way Caesar would destroy every tribe he encountered? Destroying their culture? It was just sad. Not like the NCR is any better, but they were never presented quite like Caesar's Legion was.

I have zero hope for FO4 after Skyrim. Skyrim was a masssssssive success. It was such a massive success that it did not teach Bethesda a lesson. They will be even worse this time. FO3 and Skyrim performed so fucking well we can expect even dumber, stupider mechanics, with more horrible voice acting and even more horrible gun mechanics and VATS -- why anyone is expecting anything to come out of Bethesda of any merit after that joke of a barely-there game called Skyrim... No, it's better to just forget about Fallout 4 and--

Maybe they should use the Legion. At least then they can shit it up and Chris/Sawyer can come up with another, better faction in FO4:The Expansion and pretend like the Legion never even existed... And by then you'll all be nodding along with me, saying, "Oh yes, Bethesda fucked up Caesar's Legion, let's try something else."

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The inability of some of you to swallow the Legion is endless it seems. It's not the most realistic idea for post-apocalyptic human behavior but the fucking thing is fiction and every installment of the Fallout series has taken huge liberties with reality, even the original. Who gives a shit?

Caesar's Legion was executed just so ham-fistedly awkward for me in NV.
Constantly killing smart people? What game are you playing? It's required of every faction to kill the BoS, the president is a dumb worthless piece of shit, Oliver is a blockheaded retard who deserves to die, literally nobody of value is lost siding with the legion. Disagree with all of your opinions on Caesar, he makes perfect sense to me, he's building a civilization that can thrive in the wasteland, he's uniting forcefully a bunch of degenerates that would otherwise bring instability to his nation, look at the thing with the NCR and the khans, that would never happen with the legion, there is no, play nice with raiders because some people feel bad for them. And unlike the demokrecy of the ncr he gets shit done, the courier can refuse all of the high commands orders and do whatever the fuck they want against moore's wishes, because the NCR chain of command is weak. You even attempt to disobey caesar and you get the most sincere sounding threatening dialogue that has ever been in any beth game. Say it again and he follows through with slaughtering you. How many useless junkies are in the Legion? None, how many people are complaining, not doing their share, corrupt, or anything else in the legion? 0.

Oh no, they abuse, enslave, and agressively rape their enemies??!?! That's awful and demoralizing, then again they do that in their own territory too..Oh wait, no, they don't. Yeah, seeing as Caesar's legion is what it is, I'm skeptical that they have any code regarding war crimes, and why should they? Many traders can choose to enter Caesar's territory, those under the flag of the bear suffer.

I think some of your issues are due to a lack of understanding, that isn't a vital point, AT ALL, the legion have not crossed the dam, that is all ncr territory right now, cottonwood cove is not remotely vital, the attack at the dam is the only thing worth anything. Now, tell me, you're complaining about how little legion there is in the ncr controlled territory, let's do a tally: legionaries all along the roads to vegas, nipton, crawling with legionaries(And remember, legion are offensive, they don't linger, because they aren't in their own territory.), legion overlooking the ncr ranger outpost, and, they take the outpost as well, legion camp in between novac and searchlight, legion on the path to searchlight, searchlight itself, completely compromised due to legion, legion in Nipton, right across from the NCR, in it's own territory, legion in the lucky jim mine, legion from nipton to cottonwood cove, on either side of the ranger outpost. Legion frumentarri on the strip, in camp mccarran in a high position compromising their patrols at every turn(This is spoken, not seen, yay dialogue.), legion frumentarri working at hoover dam, cottonwood cove, which in itself is limited to be useful without being important enough to force the NCR's hand. Legion assassins can show up pretty much anywhere in NCR land, save the strip area.

NCR in legion territory:

Their aesthetic sucks in your opinion, I think their aesthetic is actually pretty cool, the goggles, bandanas and headresses with the outfits they have would be cool in better graphics, in game it looks goofy, and it doesn't stand up to the ranger vets, but I don't see it as a major negative, and I like the centurions as well. Besides, their armor is only slightly less effective than the ncrs while being significantly lighter, and they cost literally nothing to make, it's football padding and they manage to slaughter the NCR wearing it.Their means of warfare is boring???? LOL. They anhilate endless tribes and assimilate and brainwash them into killing machines, they are trained to be able to kill no matter what happens, no weapons, no ammo, they're twice as strong and twice as fast and twice as brutal as the ncr troopers. They burn villages to the ground and put their denizens on burning tires, they infiltrate and corrupt the ncr high command, they assassinate president, and sometimes just straight up slaughter and raid twice their numbers, a la nipton and cottonwood cove, they unleash radiation. The ncr sits at the dam while the legion tears it apart from the inside. Not sure if you noticed, but the NCR is fit to lose the war, even amongst it's most prized veterans like hanlon, who is mostly responsible for them even still holding the dam, is betraying them. Without the courier the NCR would almost indefinitely fall, their victory the first team was almost entirely based off of strategy, this time, they have none because of oliver. As for the NPCs, Caesar is amongst the most interesting and brightest character in game, without being an inane faggot or a powerless corpse.(No offense to house, who is pretty much my favorite character) Lanius is pretty awesome, but really, what do you expect when you say motives? There are none, that's what makes caesar's legion unique, it's a pure war machine, the motive is life, you obey, or you die.

Khans have no glory, their basically the remnants of a biker gang, they were straight up generic raiders in 1, they have no history besides getting shot up by the ncr for raiding people.

Remove the legion for the sake of variety? Not one of the dozen power armor factions and Brotherhood splinter groups? Not that I'd want to get rid of them, because I don't care, but you do. Because the legion is so generic and it's kind is overrepresented compared to the few and scarcely used pre war American government wannabe factions.

Destroying their culture is necessary, it's the exact reason the NCR fails, because it's surrounded by "nations" that the legion would likely have already destroyed.(And made use of)

As for sympathizers, the NCR sympathizers are noticeably biased queers, literally, they are queers, Veronica actually complains about how the legion doesn't allow lesbians.(Which has no basis in reality, and proves how simple those against the legion are in their thinking.) Whereas Raul, who is literally the only useful companion in the game, tells you all about legion territory, and is the only non biased, non moron, non queer companion, and not surprisingly the only one to join you on a legion playthrough.

tl;dr, I disagree with you on every point, true to caesar.:hero:

set

Cipher
The inability of some of you to swallow the Legion is endless it seems. It's not the most realistic idea for post-apocalyptic human behavior but the fucking thing is fiction and every installment of the Fallout series has taken huge liberties with reality, even the original. Who gives a shit?
It's got nothing to do with realism, I just couldn't buy it. Caesar felt forced and I was just never "convinced".

And by killing smart people - I mean - I am killing dozens of innocents, usually, to kill the stupid big boss at the top. Sure, the president of the NCR or the leader of the brotherhood might be a stupid idiot, but that doesn't mean the people under them are, nor does it mean their general cause is so bad that it must be obliterated.

When the Legion takes the Dam, it results in the followers of the apocalypse or The Kings being killed. Maybe they aren't exactly the "smartest" people around, but there's nothing evil or stupid about those factions. Julie Farkas alone is worth slaughtering a bunch of stupid rapists for, considering what good she does. What can the legion do again exactly? Protect some caravans? Big fucking deal. So you'll sacrifice the only good to come out of the wasteland to preserve capitalism?

You don't need to kill the BoS if you choose to side with no one, which is what any sane person would do. Not that the BoS are the most likable of factions, but they never do anything worthy of total slaughter, at least not in NV.

A lot of Legion sympathizers always bring up the argument of, "Well, there's no evidence in the game for the Legion to actually do X, I mean, once they can finally stop conquering the map, they'll settle down build a utopia for sure, because that's what Caesar wants."

While it's true they might allow gay/lesbian relationships (because Rome sort of allowed those things, I guess, I'm no historian, but that's my impression), it doesn't change the fact being a woman in Legion territory is akin to living a life of slavery. It's a joke really, why waste perfectly good minds or bodies on manual labor or breeding stock? But that's what you get for following a hypocrite's idea of a perfect society.

Rual even sticking with you through your Legion escapades is just a token sympathy card from Obsidian. Realistically, he should blow your brains out for siding with a bunch of women-abusing thugs. Raul is some kind of chivilrous desperado, that much is unequivocal.

Caesar's dream come true will result in brief empire, where commerce and growth ramp up under his reign, but as soon as he's dead, unless he's found some incredibly equally charismatic and powerful leader to walk in his footsteps, it's inevitable that such a large amount of territory will crumble under his laws. You can't sustain a society by denying technological advances (in part, the Romans died out due to fact their leaders all drank fucking lead like a bunch of uneducated simpletons - a shame nobody was doing any kind of research back then to realize how fucking stupid they were being) like the Legion do. You certainly can't maintain order when you're turning half of the population into slaves or forcing them to work like cattle, not when firearms have already been invented.

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
You can't sustain a society by denying technological advances
The Legion isn't denying technological advances. They avoid painkillers and guns for specific reasons, but they make use of the exploding fists and howitzer, not to mention the Dam's power.

You certainly can't maintain order when you're turning half of the population into slaves or forcing them to work like cattle
:? sure you can. Slaves were great for the U.S., for example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom