Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
One thing that was annoying about New Vegas was that it felt like the main attribute of each faction were their flaws. The Legion is cruel and oppressive, the NCR is inefficient and corrupt.

It feels very different from Fallout 2 where the factions seemed to represent ideals more strongly with both benefits and weaknesses.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
One thing that was annoying about New Vegas was that it felt like the main attribute of each faction were their flaws. The Legion is cruel and oppressive, the NCR is inefficient and corrupt.

This isn't true. It's just the flaws are more obvious than the benefits.

NCuuuuuur has a lot of good people despite it's corrupt leaders. Legion's areas are quite peaceful and safe. House gives humanity a potential future free from the wasteland.

set

Cipher
Flat ground doesn't seem to be an issue in the Mojave, though you could dig trenches to fuck over any chariot charging.

Oh, and did I mention Legion in FNV is retarded? Well, there you go, just in case. And FYI, they're also LARPers.
If the Legion is retarded then NCuuuuuuur is a brain-dead lead paint chip eating dipfuck.
It is.
Can't recall a single instance where they weren't limpdick fairies in desperate need of a Hero Random Fucking Courier to save them. Quest-giving is one thing, being unable to fart without aid is quite another.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
the flaws are more obvious than the benefits.
That's what I said?

Eh, sorta. You were saying it's the main focus. It's semantics really but I don't agree that the main focus was on each faction's flaws.

The real focus was on the Courier's impact as a Kingmaker due to his unique position and how each faction is trying to "appeal" to you.

It is.
Can't recall a single instance where they weren't limpdick fairies in desperate need of a Hero Random Fucking Courier to save them. Quest-giving is one thing, being unable to fart without aid is quite another.

NCuuuur is truly pathetic.

Not sure why you believe Legion is retarded though. They are anything but.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Not trying to play the devil's advocate, but imagine the Codex reaction if Bethesda pulled something like that. :lol:

PS The concept lacks a fake cockpit with a monkey sitting inside.

Lhynn

Arcane
I didnt like the legion because they were doing what i was planning to do, but without alcohol or whores, so fuck that shit.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
uID60aw.png

Mit dem Obsidian remake wird das alles in Ordnung kommen.

Borelli

Arcane
Problem with Legion chariots is not the craziness of it but if that if the game's engine could handle that then it means NCR would have vehicles also. And they wouldn't be using chariots but some sort of armored cars which would be stronger.

@Spacesatan - yes

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
You mean, what's wrong with cutting up cars and reassembling them into useless, structurally weak contraptions, instead of - oh, I dunno - just fixing cars up and using them gajillion times more effectively?
If by "do a number on tribals" you mean making them collapse from laughter, then sure, a sound tactic.

This.

Looking at it i'd say it's structurally weak because of a exposed engine, weak axis, and exposed tires. The driver is an easy target when under gunfire, and ducking won't help him, bullets are not stopped by the frame (except in Hollywood). Other than on flat terrein it would be unstable and attempts to travel trough rough terrein could lead to severe damage to said weak spots.

The only reason to design it this way, or strip it, is fuel efficiency due to reduced weight.

imweasel

Guys, you just love the Ceasars Legion because they are slavers.

BTT. Fallout 4 will be shit because __________ (fill in teh blank)

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Now now Mr Jaesun, even VD admited that the other FP Fallouts where pretty good games on their own, but taking into account the older games they where not as good. I have always thought that if Beth has just named their new games Fallout DC and left NV as it was, without any numbering it they would have done themselves a favor and dodged a whole lot of nerdrage.
I happen to like the new games, especially NV and you should do yourself a favor and try it al least; the storylines are quite good and the acting is magnificnet
I am not really counting the days to F4 but definetly looking foward to it; not every game has to be Torment or Arcanum to be ejoyable and a little papamole is good for easy uncomplicated fun too

DeepOcean

Arcane
If anything, I'd find it less believable that the NCR's terrified of a band of barely-organized strung-out hippies who're only stopping themselves from killing one another so long as someone keeps their supply going than the biggest, most organized faction the NCR's ever faced since the Brotherhood of Steel.

People who keep crying about how the Legion shouldn't be winning because 'LOL FOOTBALL GEAR AND SHARP STICKS' keep forgetting that the Legion's been spending the past five years since their loss at the hoover dam basically shattering the morale at the NCR without resorting to outright battles. Hit-and-Run attacks on caravans and patrols, radiation bombs on NCR camps (and if Vulpes could get away with it, chlorine bombing the strip), raids on outposts and settlements where they crucify everyone they haven't raped and sold to slavery. Hell, by the time you arrive in the Mojave they've just started probing further inwards to see how much they can get away with. The completely green NCR troopers, due to a combination of general incompetence, glory mongering, and bureaucratic interference, are essentially stuck fighting trench warfare against an enemy that not only heavily outnumbers them, but have been indoctrinated to be fanatically devoted to their leader and are really good at working wonders with those machetes they're carrying. About the only silly thing about them are the costumes, which are, once again, just football padding, which works as fairly cheap, easy to produce armor which is effective when you're trying to equip an army in the thousands.

Yeah. People many times ignore another thing, while the player can have the most advanced weaponry available in the game, it is very difficult to believe that the whole NCR have access and resources to field whole units with those weapons. The industry had gone with the bombs, the maximum people can do is to make things on lower scale on very inneficient ways. I really have doubts that the NCR could field thousands of rounds to it's troops, espceially with the Legion fucking NCR supply lines.

The most common weapon on NCR would be a rifle that jams half the time. After the first few minutes of battle, the ammunition would end and everything would be decided on melee weapons. The Legion did a much better scouting of the region than the NCR and knew the terrain very well. Here in Brazil, there was a uprising of a cult lead by a crazy religious dude, their stronghold was attacked three times by the army with access to the same type of weapons that NCR has, machineguns, grenades, repeating rifles, cannons. The locals had a much better understanding of the terrain than the army and many times surprised the soldiers in vicious melee combat to what the soldiers were unprepared. The army attacks started with just a few hundred men and were defeated, with them only being successiful in supressing the rebelion with the last attack that was comprised of thousands of men when the army really took them seriously.

This was an army that had access to supplies that the NCR don't have fighting locals that didn't had Martial Proweness(that the Legion have) just sheer ferocity. What is really unbelievable isn't the Legion army (there were many armies with very silly uniforms and the uniforms in the Legion were more of a cultural binding thing than a practical thing), but NCR not adopting or you not seeing them using melee weapons.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I happen to like the new games, especially NV and you should do yourself a favor and try it al least; the storylines are quite good and the acting is magnificnet
I am not really counting the days to F4 but definetly looking foward to it; not every game has to be Torment or Arcanum to be ejoyable and a little papamole is good for easy uncomplicated fun too

Why specifically is this something to look forward too? There is NOTHING at all Bethesda is doing with this franchise that is even remotely cRPG related. Though Obsidian DID at least try. And were mocked for their efforts.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Think of it as going to a Fallout Disenyland; you get to relive some of your favorite Fallout memories in a happy user friendly and cuddy trip. "Hey looky there is a Mutant, they look like the Hulk" or "whoa those NCR guys really did screw up"
As long as you don't take offense or go into some sort of "Betreyal" fit you should enjoy it for what it is
You can get your hardcore action next year from Wasteland 2 and live a little kid!
I would love to have seen some of my favorite series like Ultima live on in any sort of way....nah scratch that :D

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Why specifically is this something to look forward too? There is NOTHING at all Bethesda is doing with this franchise that is even remotely cRPG related. Though Obsidian DID at least try. And were mocked for their efforts.

Some of us like other genres of games.

Just sayin'.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
Yeah I didn't mind exploring in Fallout 3. Would've been better if they went back to the journal system of Morrowind for quests, so it would be easier to turn off the map markers. Judging from Skyrim, I doubt they will, though.

I wouldn't say there's no cRPG relevance in F3/4. It's obviously not as good or as prominent as the earlier games, but it still exists (somewhat.)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah I didn't mind exploring in Fallout 3. Would've been better if they went back to the journal system of Morrowind for quests, so it would be easier to turn off the map markers. Judging from Skyrim, I doubt they will, though.

At least all their games since Morrowind allow you to easily disable quest arrows on the screen and keep them on the map. That's how I do it. Can't imagine playing Skyrim on console with that huge fucking compass and huge fucking arrows in your face at all times, and on TOP of screen for some insane reason.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is NOTHING at all Bethesda is doing with this franchise that is even remotely cRPG related.
That seems a touch extreme. I would have said that Fallout 3 at least had RPG elements. Actually I would say it is a full-fledged RPG, though arguably a bad one in many ways.

Is there a definition etched in stone somewhere on the Codex stating what exactly is an RPG? Not a collection of varying opinions, but an actual definition that is widely accepted. I'm not being rhetorical; this is an honest question; is there one?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom