Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
epnSqU0.png

7bEbKKj.png

Now if you'd excuse me, I seem to have misplaced my car in Fallout 2.
Eh, at least you've misplaced the whole car, now my Highwayman constantly lost only its trunk. But than again, I could've lost my car in it, my whole inventory and more, but Fallout 2 would still be a great game. And Fallout 3, even without all of its glitches, would still be a steaming pile of shit.

likaq

Arcane
While, I've about beat this garbage, and thank god I got it for free. This abomination is the result of game design inbreeding. It was my first Fallout, and I still absolutely despise it.

I never thought I would say this, but the turn based combat in Fallout 1 is actually easy, shallow repetative, and derivative of other, better games, while the real time FPS combat in the 3D Fallout games somehow is more distinct. Imagine playing a turn based strategy game, with all the strategy removed, and the only thing left is watching two characters autoattack eachother. The slow animations make it even worse. There are times where I have had to wait literally around two minutes (yes, I counted in Boneyard) in-between taking my character's turns.

The quest design is some of the most idiotic you will ever see. Entire segments of the game can be cut off if you don't search literally every single prop in the environment (and there can be hundreds per area, many essential props blending into the background, and several others being arbitrarily non interactive.) It doesn't help that it takes two seconds for your character to complete his search object animation (I actually counted.) Two amazing gems stand out in my mind: Finding the string in Shady Sands and hacking the forcefields in Mariposa. Mmmm... Have fun trying to beat this game without consulting the internet.

Furthermore, the RPG systems in this game are just as bad as any other Fallout. Skills are horribly balanced, with some like Bartering being so broken you will be able to buy items from merchants and sell them back at a higher price (and this is with it less than halfway leveled.) Some skills like Energy Weapons will be missing from the entire first third of the game. Also, the game has a terrible feeling of character progression. Like the idea of the person you are playing getting steadily stronger? Fallout doesn't really do that. There's your character pre-power armor (makes killing tougher enemies nearly impossible,) and there's your character post power armor (killing anything is ♥♥♥♥-easy.) The transition happens within about a 10 minute time frame.

However, if you can battle through the dated package you get... poor writing? Fallout is not only bad on a fundamental storytelling level (nearly everything in it is a bland cliche, from the young village girl in Shady Sands who learns that all she wanted was already at home, to the delusional villain who wants to "save the human race" by turning everybody into mutants,) but it also doesn't function properly as an RPG. Almost nothing you do has any effect on the world. What you do in one place will not effect what happens in another. The dialogue is often very poor, with villagers and raiders alike spouting the same polite "please do not talk to me right now" RPG filler dialogue.

I haven't even touched on the terrible AI, relatively generic world, repeated assets, or any other big flaw with this game. I would only recommend purchasing it on sale. 10$ is way too steep a price.

^ steamtard on fallout 1
http://steamcommunity.com/app/38400/discussions/0/517141624279765374/

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Imagine playing a turn based strategy game, with all the strategy removed, and the only thing left is watching two characters autoattack eachother.

This is very good description of the combat.

darthaegis

Cipher
From the thread likaq mentioned:
Steamtards, steamtards never change. The review above was clearly written by somebody raised on cheap, shallow console games and MMOs. He expected Fallout 1 to be similar to the garbage he's familiar with, got something different, and was disappointed.

Fallout 1 is such a masterpiece among videogames it's hard to even compare it with anything. Fallout 3 looks like a bad joke compared to it. Like a fan-made offspin with nothing that made the original great, but with plenty of ret.arded jokes and unfunny references. Like a JJ Abrams-directed Fallout movie, with none of the essence of the original, and superficial similarity.

Fallout 2 is inifinitely worse than 1, but still when you put this into perspective and compare it with 3 it's like day and night. The difference in quality is just a several orders of magnitude, a whole different league.
So, whose codexer is this?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That guy's criticisms are more-or-less correct. His main error is in saying they make the game bad and not looking at the bigger picture.

Which makes me think he's more of a troll than a Steamtard.

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
>"player freedom in an open world"
>shows guns, costumes and vertibird rail shooter mode
:retarded:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
They're ticking the boxes in the checklist, putting all the hype promo out and waiting until the cash rolls out. It doesn't even have to be any good, and most certainly won't be for any storyfag or combatfag.

So why are we spending time on it?

roll-a-die

Magister
Holy shit those guns are worse than FO3 in terms of how big they are. And motherfucker, I can already see that Vertibird sequence being glitchy as fuck and probably unskippable.

"I think the inspirations are clear, thing like minecraft, or other things we like."- Todd Howard

Wow, no fucking mention of the fucking months modders spent in your own toolset to make a system, that you are ripping off from them.

That gun crafting system looks interesting though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I liked the combat in Fallout 1 and 2.

I think it fit the game perfectly, unrealistic combat for the unrealistic scenario of a vault dweller or tribal becoming a wasteland death machine in a matter of weeks or months.

Last edited:

Aoyagi

Scholar
"I think the inspirations are clear, thing like minecraft, or other things we like."- Todd Howard

Wow, no fucking mention of the fucking months modders spent in your own toolset to make a system, that you are ripping off from them.

Is there a video source of that quote? I need it to wipe certain people's faces in it.

roll-a-die

Magister
Is there a video source of that quote? I need it to wipe certain people's faces in it.

The second one has it I think. I was watching these and basically flagellating myself mentally for holding minor hopes of Todd Howard not being a shameless PR hag in them.

Timestamp should be around 0m39s when the quote starts.

Last edited:

Aoyagi

Scholar
The second one has it I think. I was watching these and basically flagellating myself mentally for holding minor hopes of Todd Howard not being a shameless PR hag in them.

Timestamp should be around 0m39s when the quote starts.

Oh, those two... Yeah, I started watching by halfway of the first one when it became clear without doubt that the whole thing is a scripted PR piece, not an actual interview.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom