Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

so you look for something to remove the only content the game has?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'll never forget when my Steam friends list lit up with faglords playing Fallout 4.

I was initially planning to ignore and unfriend everyone who was retarded enough to play this trash, and started to, but then I realized I'd have had seven friends left and that the Codex would be three-quarters unreadable.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
That's true. Also, a rapist can be a diligent worker.

Normally I admire apathy, but this IS Fallout we're talking about, at one time the holy grail of the World Wide Web cRPG forum-o-sphere. Shrugging one's shoulders and playing a franchise rape anyway is puzzling to me. Why not play something else? You that hard up for something to do?

Zer0wing

Cipher
RK went back to Skyrim not enough of the degenerates at lover's lab embraced the decline.
Does this mean so-called degeneracy in context of loverslabs Skyrim mods is actually not degeneracy at all, just digital stonemasons grinding out women from vertex meshes or Fallout 4 is so low not every patron of degeneracy would want to thoroughly mod this shit pile?

Luzur

Good Sir
What balance? Get to level 26 or so, the game will shove Gauss Rifle into your face through vendors. Buy it and mod the crap out of it through perks. You can also get a free set of T-60 armor from Brotherhood of Steel. My first playthrough looked much like this: walk in front of someone's face and just shoot their heads into bits while their attacks bounce off your pimped out exo-suit. Hell at level 30 the game will deliberately spawn Enclave power armor everywhere on the map. By the end I had around 200 fusion cores plus all the perks.

Not saying the game is hard or anything, but level 26 is pretty low to see a Gauss Rifle. In fact I think I got exactly one of them before the end battle in both my playthroughs and I got to level 40 or so. I do agree the much easier to access and use power armor makes normal difficulty a joke though, and I doubt more enemy HP and damage would make the game more fun either. That said Bethesda games have NEVER been difficult without mods; it's just not what they're going for.

Bethesda makes games where everyone must win, so there are no tears

Luzur

Good Sir
but level 26 is pretty low to see a Gauss Rifle
You know you can just buy "The last minute" from the castle vendor early, right? Not sure when ammo appears on vendors tho. Contrary to what the wikis like to claim, that quest doesn't even require you to have the BoS appear.

Build a few settlements, get castle liberashun quest from Preston Gravy, do quest and wait a few days til the old hag nags you via radio. Voilá, gamebreaker available.

Not to mention "Spray & Pray" machinegun, mod it up to full along with explosive rounds and you have a "gib minigun" that stunlocks enemies and also takes out mines and traps.

Bought it at a 50% sale, wanted to do something equally autistic with it

Anyway, funnily enough F4 is the only game that perpetually crashes my gpu drivers every 10-15 minutes, thought it was on my end at first, but after stress-testing it and reading up on the issue online - yeah it's definitely their fuckup. Bethesda might be the only AAA dev (in terms of incompetence) that's on the level of Unity based survivalware developers. Refunded and slowly started to fiddle with a New Vegas setup (making gamebryo games run properly is a commitment i'm not really comfortable with at the moment).

Last edited:

Squid

Arbiter
Why does anyone try to pretend that Fallout 4 is a good game just not a good Fallout one or a RPG one? It's a bad game overall. You can take away the idea of it being Fallout or a RPG and it still sucks. If you wanna play a game like that, just play STALKER and get some mods if the vanilla game doesn't appeal. Go buy another open world shooter with RPG-lite elements if STALKER isn't close enough. It's probably not going to be that great but it's a lot better than Fallout 4. The problem lies within the idea that they wanted it to still appeal to RPG fans (at least the mainstream ones) yet it only made the game hindered by that. Maybe if they just made a decent open world shooter, on an engine that wasn't hard to work with yet let you pick up every item that is shiny, it would have been a better game for it. But they didn't.

typical user

Arbiter
So, what mods does one need to make Fallout 4 a decent post-apoc shooter?

I would probably wait for Fallout Miami or Fallout 4: New Vegas. The game needs total conversion. The world landscape and interriors are prime examples of bad design. Everything clumped up together i.e. bandit hideout across the street from nearby supermutant nest. The "dungeons" are series of corridors. Even Doom had more varied map design. Also everything is filled with trash and looks same. You can't have memorable advantures if every cave looks exactly same and kill same enemies with longer and more ridiculous names.

I recommend this for starter:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11657

Lightweight, nerfs damage perks and makes the game more pleasant FPS. You are still going to die if you are unarmored, but the enemies do not use anything fancy so later on the game will still make you feel invincible but that's the RPG charm. The mod makes early game feel like STALKER. The mod author also tries to make a total overhaul but it was too much for my taste so just use this and customize it with other mods. Also modded guns will feel weaker in comparison with this one installed.

Yosharian

Arcane
If you seriously want to mod FO4 up to its eyeballs, I just discovered this:

Crossing The Great Wastes (mod list)
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/30294

It's due an update in the next month or two, when it'll be even more ambitious (nearly 400 mods according to the creator).

It's based off this modlist, which actually just got updated:

BiRaitBec's Fallout 4 Mod List
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23556/

I recommend you use BiRaitBec's guide as a baseline no matter what other mods you decide to go for.

Alternatively you could just install Horizon:

Horizon 1.6 (overhaul mod)
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17374

Version 1.6 just dropped and its looking beastly, however be warned that Horizon introduces a lot of new mechanics which make it quite unfriendly to newbies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom