Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Sykar

Arcane
I didn't join the Minutemen at all. And thanks for that since all those Preston memes indicate how stupid that questline must be. I did once talked to him on some downloaded save game and oh boy it was paralyzing to get 2 quests from one dialogue, have him bug out because he wanted to give me more and then get one more after he ended discussion and made a random banter.

Man I know about this legendary rifle, but let's just hope people won't get invested in that crap and just ignore him and follow main story. Level 26 is when I remember those weapons spawn. Gatling Lasers spawn only when Brotherhood is introduced - one is at Super Mutant Satellite Array no matter your level.

I do play with mods. I mean the game is unstable and still far away from fixed. At this point I hope Todd Howard will get heart attack, Bethesda Studios suffer earth quake and their Fallout IP reclaimed by Morlocks. Screw this game.

It cannot be as stupid as the mage guild quest line where you can become arch mage without knowing magic whatsoever after an hour or two. Peak quest design by Bethderp.

typical user

Arbiter
It cannot be as stupid as the mage guild quest line where you can become arch mage without knowing magic whatsoever after an hour or two. Peak quest design by Bethderp.

You become a General of nonexisting faction without even single soldier under your command in your first two hours.

any survival mods that go well with this?

Anything. I played with vanilla survival and one mod which altered first stages to not immediately receive negative effects.

Okagron

Prophet
You could feel the contempt from Bethesda to everyone who criticized this in Oblivion when in Skyrim the gatekeeper of the College of Winterhold forces the player to cast a single spell to prove his/her "magic prowess". Didn't stopped them from adding a way to persuade that gatekeeper into enter College of Winterhold, effectively making it just as stupid as it was in Oblivion.

Codex Year of the Donut
You could feel the contempt from Bethesda to everyone who criticized this in Oblivion when in Skyrim the gatekeeper of the College of Winterhold forces the player to cast a single spell to prove his/her "magic prowess". Didn't stopped them from adding a way to persuade that gatekeeper into enter College of Winterhold, effectively making it just as stupid as it was in Oblivion.
being able to persuade them that you're actually a wizard without casting a spell is pretty good imo

Okagron

Prophet
being able to persuade them that you're actually a wizard without casting a spell is pretty good imo
That's like me persuading an owner of a mechanic shop into giving me a job when i don't have any mechanic skills. They are gonna notice as i soon as they tell me to do anything mechanic related that i have no mechanic skills.

So yes, just as dumb as it was in Oblivion. I think they force you to use a Ward spell as a test when you get it but the guy giving the lesson gives it for free to you if you don't have it.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
That's like me persuading an owner of a mechanic shop into giving me a job when i don't have any mechanic skills. They are gonna notice as i soon as they tell me to do anything mechanic related that i have no mechanic skills.

So yes, just as dumb as it was in Oblivion. I think they force you to use a Ward spell as a test when you get it but the guy giving the lesson gives it for free to you if you don't have it.
Yeah heh, where would we ever see something like that happen?

U0blXP0.jpg

Sykar

Arcane

They let you in if you Fus Ro dah hard enough as well. :lol:

U0blXP0.jpg

That one was played as an obvious joke though, unlike in Skyshit. Bethdturd has zero self awareness thanks to their retarded fans and "modders will fix it" attitude.

typical user

Arbiter
Anything. I played with vanilla survival and one mod which altered first stages to not immediately receive negative effects.
how was your experience? did it work properly? I wonder if it makes it too easy

also... any way i can easily check that its working properly?

If you are asking about the mod from one of my previous posts then just check your perks tab. Maxed damage perks will only give you 20 or 25% increase compared to 100%.

It worked fine. The beginning was brutal because enemies die in few shots but so do you. One raider with minigun is a serious threat. In the end you become a walking god if you get a good armor but again raiders in power armor or those who use rocket launchers or fatmans are also quick way to loading your last save. It suits me, in the end you should feel the power of your build if you have level 120 or something around there.

The best thing to do is to pair it with Fallout 4 Loot Overhaul because it reduces amount of ammo and meds. Unless you know where you can find a doctor, finding a pack of radaway or curing an infection becomes your priority. It makes game varied as you have brutal beginning and steamrolling ending. Avoiding Concord is a cherry on top because you do not get OP gear for your current level. The link is below; search Nexus for compatibility patches to extend the mod for DLCs:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1486

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

Yeah, that'd be pretty ridiculous.
latest

The guard at the entrance can ask for one of a few low-level spells as a test, ward isn't one of them since you need to target the symbol she points to.

Out of curiosity I looked it up.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:First_Lessons

Detailed Walkthrough
Entrance Exam
Before heading to Winterhold to start this quest, you may want to check whether you have enough magicka to complete the quest's first challenge—you may need as much as 135 magicka. With the novice hood found in Helgen Keep during Unbound, even new level-one characters will have 130 magicka. If you do not have other Fortify Magicka apparel or potions, one option available to everyone is to visit the Temple of the Divines in Solitude and activate the shrine of Julianos to obtain 25 more magicka from the Blessing of Julianos. If you have the Dragonborn add-on installed, you may choose the power Secret of Arcana from the black book Filament and Filigree and all your spells will cost no magicka for 30 seconds.

Once in Winterhold, follow the main road west through town, and approach the prominent bridge connecting the town to the College of Winterhold. Standing at the approach of the bridge is Faralda. She will ask you about your intentions and what you expect to find on entering the college. Several options would be available for you.

Option/Dialogue

I want to use the power of ice and fire to destroy any who oppose me.

I see. That power certainly exists, I assure you. Wield it faithfully, and few can withstand you.

I desire to bend the will of those around me.
Yes, the school of Illusion can be quite influential. Kings have risen to power because of it, and empires have been razed with it.

I want to unravel the mysteries of Aetherius.
Ah, the immortal plane. It is said to be the source of all magic. This is a noble goal, indeed.

I seek the knowledge of the Elder Scrolls.
Do you? It is true there are some here who have spent years studying the accumulated knowledge of the scrolls. But what you seek does not come easily, and can destroy those without a strong will.

I just wanted to see what it looks like inside.
Ha! Humor is often in short supply here. But I sense that perhaps you're after more than just that.

Only available during the quests Elder Knowledge and Scroll ScoutingDG or if you have completed those quests without speaking to Faralda previously.

Regardless of the dialogue options you choose, she will ultimately decide that you need a lesson and will say that you must take a small test to show that you have some degree of skill with magic.

If you agree, she will randomly select one spell from any one of the five schools of magic for you to cast. This may be:

If you do not have the spell she asks of you, she will offer to teach it to you for 30 gold. This is an easy and cheap way to learn any one of the above spells.

You must cast the spell at the circular impression in the floor behind her. Casting the spell in any other location will not progress the quest. However, if she asks you to conjure a Flame Atronach, and you already have a Flame Thrall summoned, simply exiting the conversation and speaking to her again will successfully progress the dialogue.

Alternatively, you can attempt to persuade her and avoid this test. In order to persuade her, you will need a Speech skill of 100 (70 with the Persuasion perk) or the Amulet of Articulation. If you are on the quest Elder Knowledge you can also mention that you are Dragonborn. She will then ask to see a shout. Either of these will get you in without needing to cast a spell.

Regardless of which path you take, Faralda will allow you across the bridge and direct you to Mirabelle Ervine.

The persuasion check requires a high skill but the dialogue itself is...pretty bethesdian...I can only hope it implies she's taking a look at the sort of gear an adventurer with 100 speech would be using.

While Oblivion's mage guil never tested your spellcasting, I think the joining process was better because you had to go around currying favor with each town's guild leader.

Okagron

Prophet

Yeah, that'd be pretty ridiculous.
latest
The difference being that guy actually knows some stuff about the job he's hired to do, it's just that his knowledge is severely lacking in that department. He says correct things about the job he was given to do but also says a lot of wrong stuff. There's also the fact that nobody actually sees him do anything or any situation hasn't come up yet where he's required to do anything. And like Sykar said, that character is just a joke by the developers.

Meanwhile, in Skyrim i can convince the person at that entrance to let me in and then they instantly put me through a test inside of the College to check if i can do anything magic wise. And if i don't know anything magic wise, i'm not kicked out. So yes, extremely idiotic.

The guard at the entrance can ask for one of a few low-level spells as a test, ward isn't one of them since you need to target the symbol she points to.
There's a second test inside the College where some guy asks you to do a demonstration of the Ward spell, that's the one i was referring to. I do agree the method to enter the Mages Guild is better in Oblivion. I still think it's really dumb for the player to be able to be Archmage without casting a spell.

Then again, i find that you becoming the leader of the factions in Oblivion and Skyrim two days after joining them to be stupid.

Last edited:
That's more of a tutorial to teach you how to use Ward than a test. It's an Alteration 101 class so the teacher isn't expecting much, and he wouldn't know if you sweet-talked your way in anyway. Good thing that everything in the college goes to shit before you get to more advanced classes, though.

I looked it up to see if you could get stuck persuading the entrance guard and then not having enough MP to cast Ward, but it costs 34 magicka per second and you start with 50. I wonder how those race/stat rebalancing mods that make spellcasting harder would deal with this :M

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
So, like, I was playing Fallout 2 and I was reading shit in the terminal of the Abbey, and suddently a question rose in my mind: why the fuck are there no G.E.C.K.s in Fallout 4? The info in the Abbey say that the G.E.C.K. is a tool containing fertalizer, code to use the Vault to build stuff, holodisks with pre war knowledge, infor on how to build houses...why the hell was not this integrated in the settlement system?

Squid

Arbiter
So, like, I was playing Fallout 2 and I was reading shit in the terminal of the Abbey, and suddently a question rose in my mind: why the fuck are there no G.E.C.K.s in Fallout 4? The info in the Abbey say that the G.E.C.K. is a tool containing fertalizer, code to use the Vault to build stuff, holodisks with pre war knowledge, infor on how to build houses...why the hell was not this integrated in the settlement system?
Uh probably because it wasn't a convenient way to make a plot work duh. You don't need all that for settlements, just scrap some stuff, build some stuff. Hide some of it behind perks. Easy peasy

Doktor Best

Arcane

U0blXP0.jpg

The difference is that in this game it is supposed to be a joke. But you knew that, right?

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive

U0blXP0.jpg

The difference is that in this game it is supposed to be a joke. But you knew that, right?
Not only that, but imo it's supposed to highlight the bureaucratic incompetency of the NCR to attempt to make them not the de facto "good guys" by showing how much of a mess they are.

Sykar

Arcane
That's more of a tutorial to teach you how to use Ward than a test. It's an Alteration 101 class so the teacher isn't expecting much, and he wouldn't know if you sweet-talked your way in anyway. Good thing that everything in the college goes to shit before you get to more advanced classes, though.

I looked it up to see if you could get stuck persuading the entrance guard and then not having enough MP to cast Ward, but it costs 34 magicka per second and you start with 50. I wonder how those race/stat rebalancing mods that make spellcasting harder would deal with this :M

The admission test is only the tip of the sheistberg. I know for a fact that you can become archmage in about 2-3 hours or less if you know what you are doing and that is without gaming the system. It is utterly ridiculous that a novice mage or even non-mage can attain such a position with little to no actual magic skills.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom