Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Black Angel

Arcane
you do know that this subsection of the forum lost the right to have the anti-mod mindset after fellating fallout 1.5 and fallout nevada for the last few months, right?
Are you fucking serious

1.5 and Nevada are fucking total conversion mods. They're pretty much their own damn game, instead of acting as a modification to the base game or altering base game's experience. In no way they're comparable to installing a laundry list of mods to make the base game good/making the experience of playing the base game good, which is totally what's happening to any of Bethesda games.

mogwaimon

Magister
you do know that this subsection of the forum lost the right to have the anti-mod mindset after fellating fallout 1.5 and fallout nevada for the last few months, right?
Are you fucking serious

1.5 and Nevada are fucking total conversion mods. They're pretty much their own damn game, instead of acting as a modification to the base game or altering base game's experience. In no way they're comparable to installing a laundry list of mods to make the base game good/making the experience of playing the base game good, which is totally what's happening to any of Bethesda games.

yea go look at all the comments about enderal or nehrim about how they're still shit because they're on the broken gamebryo engine or all the comments about neverwinter nights modules being shit just because they're on aurora and you'll see that there's a double standard with mods here. if the mods are on a game the codex likes it's okay, but if the mods are on a game the codex hates, suddenly it's 'no amount of mods will fix a shit game', etc, etc.

even if they're a TC.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Yeah, a lot of people seems to think mods is a good selling point. Having to do the dev's job for them because the game can't stand up on its own merits is not a good thing.
you do know that this subsection of the forum lost the right to have the anti-mod mindset after fellating fallout 1.5 and fallout nevada for the last few months, right? i mean i agree that bethesda uses its modding community as a crutch and that without mods their games are shit but it's retarded when half the people shitting on bethestards and mods then turn around and praise JA2 1.13 or GMDX or whatever the next thread over.

Fallout 1 and 2 are good without mods dumb fuck.

Black Angel

Arcane
Are you fucking serious

yea go look at all the comments about enderal or nehrim about how they're still shit because they're on the broken gamebryo engine or all the comments about neverwinter nights modules being shit just because they're on aurora and you'll see that there's a double standard with mods here. if the mods are on a game the codex likes it's okay, but if the mods are on a game the codex hates, suddenly it's 'no amount of mods will fix a shit game', etc, etc.

even if they're a TC.
Tell me how playing a TC mod is comparable to playing a base game modded to kingdom come that it doesn't even resemble its vanilla form.

Also, the 'general reception' (so to speak) of the Codex towards Enderal/Nehrim is quite good, as far as I know. I don't see anyone shit on those TCs, instead they mostly shit on the base games.

The point here is that if a mod made a game good, it's not that the game is good but rather, the mod *itself* is good.

mogwaimon

Magister
Yeah, a lot of people seems to think mods is a good selling point. Having to do the dev's job for them because the game can't stand up on its own merits is not a good thing.
you do know that this subsection of the forum lost the right to have the anti-mod mindset after fellating fallout 1.5 and fallout nevada for the last few months, right? i mean i agree that bethesda uses its modding community as a crutch and that without mods their games are shit but it's retarded when half the people shitting on bethestards and mods then turn around and praise JA2 1.13 or GMDX or whatever the next thread over.

lrn2read i never said fallout 1 and 2 weren't good dumb fuck

Tell me how playing a TC mod is comparable to playing a base game modded to kingdom come that it doesn't even resemble its vanilla form.

Also, the 'general reception' (so to speak) of the Codex towards Enderal/Nehrim is quite good, as far as I know. I don't see anyone shit on those TCs, so much that they mostly shit on the base game.

The point here is that if a mod made a game good, it's not that the game is good but rather, the mod *itself* is good.

you've clearly not seen all the shitposts on enderal or neverwinter modules then. and i don't think that very many people argue that the base game of skyrim or oblivion are good, they say that they become enjoyable 'with mods', it's all the people who have a hard-on for bashing bethesda games who take that to mean 'skyrim is a great game' and start regurgitating the same old tagline about how 'mods can't make a shit game good' which is an entirely different line of reasoning. there are many people who enjoy bad games because even a bad game can be fun, like skyrim with mods, but i doubt you'll find many people outside of the autistic bethesda fanbase who make authentic claims to the base game being 'good'

Bigg Boss

Arcane

lrn2read i never said fallout 1 and 2 weren't good dumb fuck

Also, the 'general reception' (so to speak) of the Codex towards Enderal/Nehrim is quite good, as far as I know. I don't see anyone shit on those TCs, so much that they mostly shit on the base game.

you've clearly not seen all the shitposts on enderal or neverwinter modules then. and i don't think that very many people argue that the base game of skyrim or oblivion are good, they say that they become enjoyable 'with mods', it's all the people who have a hard-on for bashing bethesda games who take that to mean 'skyrim is a great game' and start regurgitating the same old tagline about how 'mods can't make a shit game good' which is an entirely different line of reasoning. there are many people who enjoy bad games because even a bad game can be fun, like skyrim with mods, but i doubt you'll find many people outside of the autistic bethesda fanbase who make authentic claims to the base game being 'good'

You don't even make sense now. I never SAID YOU DID. Can we have some kind of age limit on this site?

mogwaimon

Magister
your argument to 'the attitude towards mods on this site has a double standard whether the codex likes the game or hates it' was 'fallout 1 and 2 are good without mods' so, you know, i just assumed you couldn't read. sorry.

Black Angel

Arcane
Still doesn't explain how playing a TC mod is comparable to playing a base game modded to kingdom come with a laundry list of mods.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
your argument to 'the attitude towards mods on this site has a double standard whether the codex likes the game or hates it' was 'fallout 1 and 2 are good without mods' so, you know, i just assumed you couldn't read. sorry.
You can't even fucking type properly. Do you have something you can choke yourself with?

mogwaimon

Magister
Still doesn't explain how playing a TC mod is comparable to playing a base game modded to kingdom come with a laundry list of mods.
Why don't you explain to me how it matters? Like there's a major difference between a TC and Skyrim with mods when it comes to what we're arguing, which is the overall attitude towards mods here on the forum. 1.5 and Nevada are both TCs, yea, and Enderal/Nehrim are as well. Swordflight or any number of NWN modules might as well be considered TCs, the point is one example gets praised and lauded as GOTY while the others, yes, are acknowledged by some here as good mods but are derided by just as many with the same old tagline I've mentioned before.

You can't even fucking type properly. Do you have something you can choke yourself with?

I can type perfectly fine when I feel like it, but just like I don't dress up in a suit to go to McDonalds I also don't type my best when I'm shitposting.

Zer0wing

Cipher
He's a confused individual. His subjective idealism drove him into a trap. He has a soup of different 'Dex consensuses about NWN1 & Skyrim having dubious quality, "Mods won't make bad core game good if there's nothing left to redeem"; "Total Conversions built on crappy engines often inherit flaws of the base game" in his mind. It's a special case of bigger mental disorder alot of individuals are suffering and even pass it as "philosophy" they adhere to.

Yosharian

Arcane
Sim Settlements is overrated, and FO4 can barely be 'saved' even with a shit ton of mods. There aren't any mods that can effectively remove Preston from the game, for example. Another: one of the best mods, that fixes all the dialogue so that you aren't a fucking idiot chasing after SHAUUUUUN all the time, is buggy and doesn't play well with other mods, so there's that out of the window if you're playing with a massive mod list.

Fallout 4 is just beyond help, it's too far gone. I know some think that about Skyrim, too, which I personally disagree with, but FO4 is just on a whole other level of shit.

Wunderbar

Arcane
That SIM settlements mod has better mechanics than the entirety of post-MW bethesda's games. If you don't like autist gameplay like "At which angle should I build this piece of fence" but still enjoy the idea of settlements it's p. good.

I see this being used a lot in regards to mods.

Oblivion is shit BUT....
Fallout 3 is shit BUT....
Fallout 4 is shit BUT...

Notice SHIT and BUT always go together.

47B32873200656CA890408AD32F6D8B929A8E3BC

Black Angel

Arcane
Why don't you explain to me how it matters? Like there's a major difference between a TC and Skyrim with mods when it comes to what we're arguing, which is the overall attitude towards mods here on the forum. 1.5 and Nevada are both TCs, yea, and Enderal/Nehrim are as well. Swordflight or any number of NWN modules might as well be considered TCs, the point is one example gets praised and lauded as GOTY while the others, yes, are acknowledged by some here as good mods but are derided by just as many with the same old tagline I've mentioned before.
It fucking matters because the experience of playing a TC is drastically different to playing a base game modded to kingdom come. Not to mention the base game of Fallout 1&2 are NOT shitty like Bethesda's games are, so you're basically comparing apples to oranges when Bigg Boss referred to the fucking base game then you came barging in screaming how we set the double standard for praising TC mods, and that's not even considering that the base game for those TC mods aren't fucking shit.

Just in case you're actually a dumbfuck,
  • Fallout 1&2 = NOT shit
  • Bethesda's games = PURE, UNADULTERATED shit
And the point here is that Fallout 1&2 doesn't really needs mods except to make them run properly on more modern system, fix bugs and *maybe* restore cut content, while Bethesda's games needs a laundry list of mods to NOT only run properly and fix bugs&glitches, but ALSO shit tons of gameplay-altering modification so that they could ACTUALLY be fun to play. And only the most retarded of Bethestard would ever consider the base form of Bethesda's games 'fun'.

mogwaimon

Magister
To be fair to Bigg Boss, who now has me on ignore, my initial comment wasn't directed at him in particular or anyone specific. It was just venting because the attitude I've been attempting to shine a light on here has been bugging me during my lurking and today I was just bored enough to shitpost about it.

However, you're still not understanding. Or at the very least, you're being willfully ignorant. I'm not trying to make any claims as to the quality of the base games of which we speak. That's not a factor in my argument, what my argument is about is the attitude towards mods changing based on the game. You can take a look at the charming Winnie the Pooh comic above for a perfect illustration of the average General RPG discussion on mods for Bethesda games is, from what I have seen. Those particular discussions and the people that have them just enjoy making quips such as 'if you needed mods to enjoy the game then it's a shit game' or 'NWN is a terrible game, you can't change that with modules', yet those same people will turn around and praise the likes of JA2 1.13, Sword Coast Stratagems, or the aforementioned TCs (and let's not fool ourselves, a TC is just a 'base game modded to kingdom come' except it's generally done by a team with focused goals as opposed to an individual downloading a bunch of ESPs off the Nexus. Loading up High Noon Drifter or Chex Quest in gzDoom is still basically Doom.) while seeming to forget that they just derided the entire concept of modding a few posts before.

Finally, you're still defending Fallout 1 and 2 when I've not even attacked those games! I don't know what it is with you and Boss, but you seem to think that just because I've used TCs of Fallout 2 as my primary examples that I'm somehow trying to tear down those games. The only game I've taken potshots at is Skyrim, and rightfully so. It's a glorified walking simulator and the only fun I can get out of it after my initial playthrough tore the curtain away to reveal the all too mediocre skeleton behind it is through modding the fuck out of it and messing around in VR or whatever. But the point I'm trying to make is that it's utterly idiotic to shit on mods when it's for Bethesda games like you're trying to fit in with some Kodex Kool Klub and follow the trends when the GOTY for the Codex last year was a MOD.

Black Angel

Arcane
However, you're still not understanding. Or at the very least, you're being willfully ignorant. I'm not trying to make any claims as to the quality of the base games of which we speak. That's not a factor in my argument, what my argument is about is the attitude towards mods changing based on the game. You can take a look at the charming Winnie the Pooh comic above for a perfect illustration of the average General RPG discussion on mods for Bethesda games is, from what I have seen. Those particular discussions and the people that have them just enjoy making quips such as 'if you needed mods to enjoy the game then it's a shit game' or 'NWN is a terrible game, you can't change that with modules', yet those same people will turn around and praise the likes of JA2 1.13, Sword Coast Stratagems, or the aforementioned TCs (and let's not fool ourselves, a TC is just a 'base game modded to kingdom come' except it's generally done by a team with focused goals as opposed to an individual downloading a bunch of ESPs off the Nexus. Loading up High Noon Drifter or Chex Quest in gzDoom is still basically Doom.) while seeming to forget that they just derided the entire concept of modding a few posts before.
I see that you're being genuine, so I apologize for calling or implying that you're a dumbfuck, but I disagree with the notion that 'a TC is just 'a base game modded to kingdom come'. A TC is a TC, it's basically its own new game instead of 'the base game modded to kingdom come'. Usually a TC is built on an already existing gameplay mechanics, and from there they build their own content, sometimes adding new features and/or implement the features already in place but in a way the devs didn't do. If the already existing gameplay mechanics aren't shit, which is the case of Fallout 1&2, then there's not much to adds or to alter.

Meanwhile, a base game modded to kingdom come is, well, it's THE base game but altered to a point where it doesn't even resembles its original form, either because it's outdated or, in case of Bethesda games, it's fucking shit.

But the point I'm trying to make is that it's utterly idiotic to shit on mods when it's for Bethesda games like you're trying to fit in with some Kodex Kool Klub and follow the trends when the GOTY for the Codex last year was a MOD.
See, this is where you're just plain wrong. Point out to me where I, Bigg Boss, and the others are shitting on the *MODS*. We're shitting on the *FUCKING BASE GAME*, not the *MODS*, hence,
Bigg Boss said:
I see this being used a lot in regards to mods.

Oblivion is shit BUT....
Fallout 3 is shit BUT....
Fallout 4 is shit BUT...

Notice SHIT and BUT always go together.
Maybe it's because he wrote, "I see this being used a lot in regards to mods.", but he meant to point out how people tend to use mods as a justification that the base game isn't exactly shit. And Bethesda base game are fucking shit, no amount of mods can change the fact that they're shit, but this doesn't mean the statement is shitting on mods.

mogwaimon

Magister

I will admit to starting off with pure shitposting, but if you look back my initial post was in reply to CthulhuisSpy, not BiggBoss.

Maybe it's because he wrote, "I see this being used a lot in regards to mods.", but he meant to point out how people tend to use mods as a justification that the base game isn't exactly shit. And Bethesda base game are fucking shit, no amount of mods can change the fact that they're shit, but this doesn't mean the statement is shitting on mods.
I'm not sure anyone uses mods as a justification to declare Skyrim as good. I think most people with a brain who say something like "Skyrim is shit, BUT" aren't saying that mods make the unmodded Skyrim into an objectively good RPG or game, rather that mods allow them to wring out some modicum of enjoyment or fun from a game that would be otherwise terrible. And, let's be honest here, at this point picking up Skyrim in one of its many forms if you're not resorting to piracy is the cost of a Big Mac so it's not like these people are suffering from "I just spent 90 dollars on the super deluxe edition preorder so this game MUST be good" syndrome. There is a world of difference between something being fun and something being good.

As an aside, I have yet to find any combination of mods that turn Fallout 4 into a fun game. I keep trying to bash my head against the wall telling myself it'll be different next time but it never is.

I see that you're being genuine, so I apologize for calling or implying that you're a dumbfuck, but I disagree with the notion that 'a TC is just 'a base game modded to kingdom come'. A TC is a TC, it's basically its own new game instead of 'the base game modded to kingdom come'. Usually a TC is built on an already existing gameplay mechanics, and from there they build their own content, sometimes adding new features and/or implement the features already in place but in a way the devs didn't do. If the already existing gameplay mechanics aren't shit, which is the case of Fallout 1&2, then there's not much to adds or to alter.

Meanwhile, a base game modded to kingdom come is, well, it's THE base game but altered to a point where it doesn't even resembles its original form, either because it's outdated or, in case of Bethesda games, it's fucking shit.
See, I don't really see the difference here. TCs are still being built on top of a game, even if they have heavily altered assets. Going back to Doom, one could argue that Heretic or Hexen are just total conversions of Doom; they're their own games developed on the Doom engine and using its gameplay mechanics while adding new ones on top (Especially Heretic which is, boiled down to it, just a reskin of Doom with new maps and weapons.) Of course, there are popular total conversion mods out there for Doom itself like High Noon Drifter or Golden Souls that basically do the same thing, and then there are regular mods like, Brutal Doom or La Tailor or DoomRPG which alter mechanics, assets, and the like for new gameplay experiences....well, that's basically a TC too, isn't it? I don't know, I think you're making an unnecessarily arbitrary line in the sand between TCs and small scale mods to further your argument. When you boil it down, back in Skyrim terms, there's not really a world of difference between using a mod like Requiem or Ordinator with a bunch of quest mods on the scale of Falskaar or Beyond Skyrim and playing Enderal; you can in some cases even use regular Skyrim mods with Enderal.

tl;dr for the illiterate or otherwise occupied among you...there is none, read the fucking post, this is RPGCodex not World Star Hiphop

Black Angel

Arcane
See, I don't really see the difference here. TCs are still being built on top of a game, even if they have heavily altered assets. Going back to Doom, one could argue that Heretic or Hexen are just total conversions of Doom; they're their own games developed on the Doom engine and using its gameplay mechanics while adding new ones on top (Especially Heretic which is, boiled down to it, just a reskin of Doom with new maps and weapons.) Of course, there are popular total conversion mods out there for Doom itself like High Noon Drifter or Golden Souls that basically do the same thing, and then there are regular mods like, Brutal Doom or La Tailor or DoomRPG which alter mechanics, assets, and the like for new gameplay experiences....well, that's basically a TC too, isn't it? I don't know, I think you're making an unnecessarily arbitrary line in the sand between TCs and small scale mods to further your argument. When you boil it down, back in Skyrim terms, there's not really a world of difference between using a mod like Requiem or Ordinator with a bunch of quest mods on the scale of Falskaar or Beyond Skyrim and playing Enderal; you can in some cases even use regular Skyrim mods with Enderal.
Nah, a TC isn't exactly 'built on top of a game'. Sure, it uses already existing gameplay mechanics + assets, but the content, like gameworld, quests, and story are completely original even though the setting might be the exact same (as is the case of Fallout of Nevada which included Vault City, New Reno, and Gecko). Which is why a TC mod is radically different compared to a base game modded using a laundry list of mods, and a base game modded to kingdom come is the definition of being 'built on top of a game'.

I think we need a better example here, and I got one. Fallout: New Vegas is basically a TC mod for Fallout 3. It has completely original content, but used already existing gameplay mechanics and assets of Fallout 3, and more. Because it adds a lot of new stuff, it's basically its own game, and it is. Does this means Fallout: New Vegas is basically Fallout 3 but modded to kingdom come? Nope. Although, funny thing about this fact is there are actual Bethestard out there who proclaimed that New Vegas is shit because it's basically a TC of Fallout 3.

mogwaimon

Magister
NV is a bit of a grey area because it's an official release, but if you want to get into the nitty gritty it's basically a TC like you said. An important distinction though, is that NV does fix engine-level bugs and make improvements to the internal workings of the game that wouldn't normally be possible without the source code as well, which most TCs don't have the luxury of. Well, with the exception of those few games where the source is released or otherwise reverse engineered into a source port.

Although, funny thing about this fact is there are actual Bethestard out there who proclaimed that New Vegas is shit because it's basically a TC of Fallout 3.
I hope they were just trolling, but this is exactly the sort of blanket statement I'm speaking out against. What a retarded notion. NV is great stuff.

typical user

Arbiter
Obsidian added weapons with manual shell-by-shell reload. Bethesda copied the story frame but couldn't copy the other thing while focusing on FPS elements. smh

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom