Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Fallout 4 has slightly better combat and slightly better graphics but I'm really baffled as to the value of all this work. It's not that different a game.

What do you guys think of Far Harbor? I think its the closest (or at least the one with the most effort) attempt of Bethesda at trying to achieve one of the things New Vegas did successfully. That being branching questlines, I was genuinely surprised by the amount of choice that was given to me for a Bethesda game which made it better than the main game for me. The setup, location, and factions are more interesting than the entire Commonwealth storyline.

Also appreciate that they took their time creating unique and original creatures that would actually fit the setting instead of just dumping deathclaws, scorpions, and mutants (the fact that they all somehow exist in the East Coast is baffling) and calling it a day.

However, its still just an attempt at matching the quality of the original Fallouts and I would say some New Vegas side quests are still better than this entire DLC.

But still, I considered Far Harbor a step in the right direction and was hopeful that Bethesda could put out a Fallout that would finally be on par with the west coast Fallout games... until Fallout 76 came out and that possibility of a quality Bethesda Fallout game immediately became a pipe dream

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Fallout 4 has slightly better combat and slightly better graphics but I'm really baffled as to the value of all this work. It's not that different a game.

Cewze34.png

autism.
austim never changes.

it's like all of those skyrim mods for textures that barely make a difference and are just a higher resolution, yet they keep coming out with them, year after year. Or some of the perk mods that essentially change nothing about the actual gameplay and just rename and reorganize the skills.

Modron

Arcane
Fallout 4: The Capital Wasteland, the mod that aims to recreate Fallout 3 in Fallout 4

giphy.gif
The shooting mechanics are supposed to be improved even if everything else about the game is worse. The more interesting project was New Vegas into 4 because that group had modded the old dialog and character system into 4 granted no point in speculating about these yuge total conversions because 98% are never completed, 1.9% are hit with cease and desists when it looks like they might actually come out, and .1% like ultima 5/6 in Dungeon Siege come out.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Fallout 4: The Capital Wasteland, the mod that aims to recreate Fallout 3 in Fallout 4

giphy.gif
The shooting mechanics are supposed to be improved even if everything else about the game is worse. The more interesting project was New Vegas into 4 because that group had modded the old dialog and character system into 4 granted no point in speculating about these yuge total conversions because 98% are never completed, 1.9% are hit with cease and desists when it looks like they might actually come out, and .1% like ultima 5/6 in Dungeon Siege come out.

If nothing else, mods are a wacky sociology experiment involving tech. Most mods are nothing more than semi-baked ideas for nerds who don't have the time/energy/persistence to actually make their own games. Reminds me of a LOTR mod that was started for Morrowind right after it came out. The mods worked on it for almost 2 years, then the Tolkien estate sent them a cease and desist. Mod DOA.

Nexusmods is a great example of the landfill of what mods have become. Rather than a small group of people working together on something substantial and quality, you get a sperg hurricane of lazy weapon textures, boring quest addons, or at best a really cool promising overhaul that dies when the modder finally realizes that pussy, money, and a job are more important than scripting and coding all day. shit, I don't think I've even logged into my nexus account in like 3 or 4 years. Ain't worth it any more.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What do you guys think of Far Harbor? I think its the closest (or at least the one with the most effort) attempt of Bethesda at trying to achieve one of the things New Vegas did successfully. That being branching questlines, I was genuinely surprised by the amount of choice that was given to me for a Bethesda game which made it better than the main game for me. The setup, location, and factions are more interesting than the entire Commonwealth storyline.

Also appreciate that they took their time creating unique and original creatures that would actually fit the setting instead of just dumping deathclaws, scorpions, and mutants (the fact that they all somehow exist in the East Coast is baffling) and calling it a day.

However, its still just an attempt at matching the quality of the original Fallouts and I would say some New Vegas side quests are still better than this entire DLC.

But still, I considered Far Harbor a step in the right direction and was hopeful that Bethesda could put out a Fallout that would finally be on par with the west coast Fallout games... until Fallout 76 came out and that possibility of a quality Bethesda Fallout game immediately became a pipe dream

Yeah, I liked the token attempts at factions and C&C in the main game, and Far Harbor is another step in that direction. Other than the shitty regressive dialog system they used in FO4 I do think Bethesda has gotten better with each game since Oblivion at offering better story and RPG choices. They still have a long way to go to reach New Vegas levels though, and who knows if they'll get there. I feel like an online focus is inevitable, if not with Starwhatever then the one after that, which could fuck it all up.

Black Angel

Arcane
you do know that this subsection of the forum lost the right to have the anti-mod mindset after fellating fallout 1.5 and fallout nevada for the last few months, right?
Are you fucking serious

1.5 and Nevada are fucking total conversion mods. They're pretty much their own damn game, instead of acting as a modification to the base game or altering base game's experience. In no way they're comparable to installing a laundry list of mods to make the base game good/making the experience of playing the base game good, which is totally what's happening to any of Bethesda games.
Fluent this is only fake news to you because you haven't experience the incline of Fallout 1.5 and Fallout of Nevada, you decline enabler.

Deleted Member 16721

Black Angel, I only rated it fake news because you keep talking about mods needing to make the base games good and that's simply not true. All TES games and Beth-Fallout games are fine on their own, damn fine even. I'd play Fallout 1.5 or Nevada, right now I'm not into gaming much but when I get back into it I'll give those a look fo sho.

Black Angel

Arcane
mods needing to make the base games good and that's simply not true. All TES games and Beth-Fallout games are fine on their own, damn fine even.
And this is why you're a decline enabler.

If you legit think Beth's game are fine on their own, you either haven't played genuinely good games or you're blinded by nostalgia.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Morrowind was the only game I played without mods, meaning it had features resembling a game, the others all felt like sand boxes at best.

Deleted Member 16721

And this is why you're a decline enabler.

If you legit think Beth's game are fine on their own, you either haven't played genuinely good games or you're blinded by nostalgia.

Or I'm like the tens of millions of others who have played them and enjoyed them, rather than the vocal minority of a few hundred people on the Codex who like to smell their own farts and think Beth games are bad because lol edgy.

Okagron

Prophet
Or I'm like the tens of millions of others who have played them and enjoyed them, rather than the vocal minority of a few hundred people on the Codex who like to smell their own farts and think Beth games are bad because lol edgy.
The fucking shitty "argument" that somehow popularity makes the game immune to criticism. Following that idiotic logic, we should only criticize games that bombed or weren't really popular.

And people hate Bethesda games not because "lol edgy", they are genuinely bad. Far too many issues that are too easy to notice for the games to be "fine on their own". They are an afront to good game design and you are a major decline enabler for even defending them. You don't get to call anyone a decline enabler, which you have in the past, and defend some of the biggest cases of decline.

Black Angel

Arcane
People who think mods are bad are pure decline. Mods are one of the reasons PC gaming is superior.
I don't think anyone here is actually saying that, except for a select few where modders gonna modders. What people saying here is that good mods doesn't automatically make a bad game good or redeem it whatsoever.

Squid

Arbiter
The fucking shitty "argument" that somehow popularity makes the game immune to criticism.
"A million screaming fans could never be wrong!" Yeah okay, you tell me that about pop music, dietary choices, etc.

Millions of people McDonalds everyday and so should I!

Loostreaks

Learned

Didn't you brag about your outstanding IQ and how they had to move you into "advanced class", because you were so far ahead of the "normies"?
But you somehow advocate for that deep and sophisticated design of Bethesda. :lol:

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
"A million screaming fans could never be wrong!" Yeah okay, you tell me that about pop music, dietary choices, etc.

Millions of people McDonalds everyday and so should I!

Or the classic "Eat shit! Millions of flies can't be wrong."

In all seriousness as vanilla games they are poor hiking simulators, showing you places that may be interesting from a distance but the moment you get closer you realize how much potential at world building and plot writing has been wasted because the writers A. Couldn't write themselves out of a wet bag, and/or B. Bethesda's design team (and probably marketing) thinks Fallout is all about the recycled elements from Fallout 1 and 2. (BOS, FEV, Super Mutants, Ghouls, Enclave, Vault Boy, oh and 50s pop culture which apparently the US got stuck in after World War 2)

Yesterday I visited a game store to see if they had any decent games for sale. In a cabinet in the corner they had a load of vault boy statues in various poses. All I could feel was sadness as I looked at his happy smile.
He/Fallout got killed, stuffed, and put on display.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom