Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Machocruz

Arcane
Rycon Roleplays on YT has a series of this played with the Frost mod. Not going to lie, I'm interested. Maybe he just makes it seem more entertaining than it is, but I do like survival games.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've started playing this a few days ago... and it's actually good so far.

Installed several mods to make it better from the get-go: some mods from the "un-bogus" line of mods to change the way HP work to remove bloat (now HP scaling for higher tier enemies isn't as ridiculous, and neither you nor the enemies get a HP bonus from leveling up, it's strictly tied to constitution), a dialog interface mod that makes dialog choices appear as a list of full sentences, and plenty of barefoot outfits for my girl :M

It's not a good Fallout game, but neither was Fallout 3. Bethesda still gets the lore all wrong, but surprisingly less wrong than in Fallout 3. Super mutants appear less like orcs than in FO 3 (they have more dialog/voice lines, they appear more like somewhat-intelligent brutes than the full-on herpa derp ogres of FO3), the Brotherhood of Steel is portrayed as a bunch of mutant-hating tech-lovers rather than the goodie white knights of FO3, etc. It's not half as terrible as FO3 was. The writing still isn't great, but it's way better than FO3.

Gunplay is much better than in the previous game and now you can bash with guns in melee. Enemies take proper cover. Shootouts are actually fun.

Level design is usually good. The cities have some rooftop action, you can actually jump from rooftop to rooftop sometimes, some locations are connected by rooftops. Many locations make good use of verticality. The game has the same retarded quest compass as all Bethesda games since Oblivion, but there are some minor places to discover that aren't marked on the map so keeping your eyes open pays off.

I'm positively surprised.

Codex Year of the Donut

Installed several mods to make it better from the get-go: some mods from the "un-bogus" line of mods to change the way HP work to remove bloat (now HP scaling for higher tier enemies isn't as ridiculous, and neither you nor the enemies get a HP bonus from leveling up, it's strictly tied to constitution), a dialog interface mod that makes dialog choices appear as a list of full sentences, and plenty of barefoot outfits for my girl :M

It's not a good Fallout game, but neither was Fallout 3. Bethesda still gets the lore all wrong, but surprisingly less wrong than in Fallout 3. Super mutants appear less like orcs than in FO 3 (they have more dialog/voice lines, they appear more like somewhat-intelligent brutes than the full-on herpa derp ogres of FO3), the Brotherhood of Steel is portrayed as a bunch of mutant-hating tech-lovers rather than the goodie white knights of FO3, etc. It's not half as terrible as FO3 was. The writing still isn't great, but it's way better than FO3.

Gunplay is much better than in the previous game and now you can bash with guns in melee. Enemies take proper cover. Shootouts are actually fun.

Level design is usually good. The cities have some rooftop action, you can actually jump from rooftop to rooftop sometimes, some locations are connected by rooftops. Many locations make good use of verticality. The game has the same retarded quest compass as all Bethesda games since Oblivion, but there are some minor places to discover that aren't marked on the map so keeping your eyes open pays off.

I don't think anyone ever accused it of being worse than FO3. It's just... meh. I couldn't bring myself to finish it, think I got about 30-40 or so hours in plus a few failed attempts at restarting.
Nick Valentine is a fairly well written character, btw. Consider doing his quests before you get bored and quit. Also, if you do Far Harbor I heard he has the most reactivity so you should probably bring him along.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Other than the bullshit dialog system I enjoyed it a lot more than 3 as well. It's still a shitty Fallout game, but as an open world shooter with RPG elements it can be enjoyable. I especially like the faction play, and and much better combat than previous Bethesda efforts. The expansion is the best thing in the game by the way.

MegaRhettButler

Literate
I recently put 40+ hours into a survival mode playthrough using the mod Fallout 4: Wasteland Survival. This mod does some fantastic work re-balancing the game to be actually difficult while still overall seeming fair. Starting stats are more than halved, levelling is 25% of the base game. Loot is scarce so otherwise pointless game mechanics and skills become very useful. Limited starting stats had me playing an agility 1 character so VATS usage was almost non-existent. Every encounter was intense and the limited saves in survival mode lead to a LOT of the good kind of frustration. There are changes to almost everything (perks are toned down, level scaling of enemies is GONE). The mod is a fucking masterpiece for someone who wants a punishing and intense survival experience. It was great. Really great... Then the game started crashing every five minutes when I got to the center of Boston. After a lot of trial and error and denial I realized the mod was to blame. FUUUUUUCK!

The game is tedious without rebalancing. You become completely OP and damn near invulnerable by the mid game, even in survival mode. Every encounter is solved by just VATSing them to death or doing jet and hammering away with a semiauto. Loot is stupidly overabundant to the point of being a nuisance. You end up selling your healing items and chems because you have 100+ stimpaks in your inventory without even trying to conserve them. The game is not worth anyone's time without mods, whether you hold it to the standards of an RPG or just want a fun game to play there is nothing for you here. But with the right mods, if you can handle the resultant instability and frustration. Yes. There is a game here, and a very compelling one. I'd argue that it's still not worth it and your time is better spent on games where the tension comes solely from gameplay, rather than the fear of randomly losing progress to crashes, but I'm not your dad. Play what you want, I'm not judging.

jf8350143

Liturgist

I don't think anyone ever accused it of being worse than FO3. It's just... meh. I couldn't bring myself to finish it, think I got about 30-40 or so hours in plus a few failed attempts at restarting.
Nick Valentine is a fairly well written character, btw. Consider doing his quests before you get bored and quit. Also, if you do Far Harbor I heard he has the most reactivity so you should probably bring him along.
Nick's personal quest is the most well written one among all the companions, but also the most shit one design wise. Drags you across the whole map, it's 10 times worse on survival difficulty.

Drowed

Arcane
I think the consensus has always been that Fallout 4 is better than Fallout 3 in almost every possible aspect except the dialogue system. Not the dialogues themselves, it's worth pointing out, the world can be a little less stupid and some characters are even vaguely interesting. It's just that if you put the bar so low it's hard to celebrate when you get over it. But yes, it's definitely better.

If you completely forget that Fallout 3 is a Fallout, what's left is a game with terrible gameplay and stupid dialogues. But if you forget that Fallout 4 is a Fallout, you have an open-world game with minimally competent gameplay. If that's what you're looking for, I can imagine someone having fun playing it. Especially with some mods. I also had a much more positive impression of the game initially when I first played it, but I ended up getting bored and left it after a few hours. Maybe I'll try again sometime, I don't know.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
There are literally no redeeming elements in Fallout 3. Fallout 4 has a terrible dialogue system, terrible character systems, a terrible story, terrible dungeons, and terrible quests, BUT wandering around the downtown area shooting mutants is kind of fun. Far Harbor is also the best piece of Fallout created by Bethesda, but then again, they set the bar an inch above the ground and then hopped over it.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Far Harbor is also the best piece of Fallout created by Bethesda,
The Wastelanders revamp of FO76 is surprisingly good. If it's an indication of what FO5 will be like then I think people might end up pleasantly surprised.
fo76 and the wastelanders were designed by a new studio (bethesda austin), Emil Pagliarulo just wrote bubblegum jokes.
Fo5 will be developed by usual hacks from Bethesda Rockville.

jf8350143

Liturgist
The Wastelanders revamp of FO76 is surprisingly good. If it's an indication of what FO5 will be like then I think people might end up pleasantly surprised.
People used to think F:NV will be an indication of what FO4 will be, and then far harbor for fallout 5.

Now look what we get.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
People used to think F:NV will be an indication of what FO4 will be, and then far harbor for fallout 5.

Now look what we get.

I mean yeah, if Fallout 76 didn't exist I would consider Fallout 4 a step in the right direction for Bethesda, compared to the previous game.

But Fallout 76 does exist.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

With mods the game can be fun for some dozen hours, then more and more the problems with the game become painfully obvious.

Majority of quests are complete garbage just like all factions or pretty much any interaction with npcs. So to have fun your best bet is to avoid npcs and just explore the world, which gets boring after dozen hours since even with mods after that time you will become overpowered and enemies cease to be a threat.

The interesting thing with Fallout 4 which I rate just slightly above F3, is that the game at the same time manages to have the worst world design (with exception of cities) and the best dungeon design of any Bethesda game since Morrowind.

It feels like a game that you had a separate team working on a every different part of the game with no communication or quality control between them.

Codex Year of the Donut

Now look what we get.

I mean yeah, if Fallout 76 didn't exist I would consider Fallout 4 a step in the right direction for Bethesda, compared to the previous game.

Fallout 76 with Wastelanders is vastly better than Fallout 4.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist

Now look what we get.

Fallout 76 with Wastelanders is vastly better than Fallout 4.

Just reinstalled it, played it for the last 3 evenings, and hey, this game is fun. Wastelanders totally changed it. I'm really curious about what exactly was Bethesda's vision on how players alone would be able to make this world feel alive. I still can't see how it wouldn't have been better as a single player or just Coop game.

Actually, there is one thing the MMO thing brings for me, it's the fact that I can't save scum (a bad habit I have) Made me appreciate the pickle in a few decisions.
Like that raider I thought I had to kill, when my instinct was telling me that he wasn't so bad ; I killed him anyway, and now I can't have this legendary mask, damn it !

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I have zero interest in online games so I can't speak to how much the update has improved Fallout 76. However I can point out that either way, shit or incline, it was mostly made by a different studio and has no real bearing on what the "core" Bethesda does with Starwhatever or TES6.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You can't fix Skyrim. You can't fix Fallout 4. You can't fix Fallout 76.

YOU CAN'T FIX BETHESDA.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom