Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

Again, the 3D rendering of the power armor is nearly spot on.
I just hope they'll let loose Tim Cain upon this and make something along the quality of New Vegas.

A New Vegas 2 should have a disclaimer on the box:
"Be advised: contains actual functional RPG elements."

Fairfax

Arcane
so who is going to review this shit?

Fallout 4: good game, bad RPG
http://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-4-good-game-bad-rpg/
It's what it is, really. It's a good retrofuturistic post-apocalyptic Far Cry, but a terrible RPG. I like Far Cry games (I'm not a very demanding player), so maybe if I'd never played or enjoyed any Fallout, I think I would've loved it. But it carries the Fallout name and comes after FNV, so it has to be called out for being shit at what it's supposed to be.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
A New Vegas 2 should have a disclaimer on the box:
"Be advised: contains actual functional RPG elements."

Hopefully "mechanics" too.

Aside from writing and quest design (including dialog presentation and interfaces), the first things I'd change is the character progression regarding firearms combat to be more tangibly accuracy based (rather than damage), and replace the fucking minigames with skill rolls.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria

Pretty spot on. Obviously the comments flame him because they think it's the best thing ever. Some schmucko has already spent 250+ hours in the game.
Jens Linder said:
Guys and girls. I really hope you read this, including the author of this article, because it will probably be an eye-opener about Fallout 4.

You've barely scratched the surface of the game, this includes the author of this article. I do believe from a casual gamer point of view that this is exactly what the article says.

But after having spent over 250h in this game and trying out-of-the-box stuff, i noticed that this is more of a RPG than one might actully think.

First of all, what we all have been nagging on about, even the fanboys:

The dialogue.

Yes it is dumbed down, there is a PC-mod that fixes this but it is still dumbed down.
What no one appears to know is the actual subtle impact you are making in the game by hundreds of various decisions. Not towards a different ending, but a more subtle approach to your own, unique playthrough.

As we all know, we can skip the main story completely. So I did just that.
I tried to find a way into the institute without contacting any of the other factions and not doing more main missions than getting into Diamond City.

-I had a negative attitude towards the newspaper (As the newspapers are propaganda towards the institute)
I chose to side with the Synth Art, and followed him for 4 hours to see his destination, Yes 4 Hours. (What I need to point out here, to side with the Synth Art, you need to complete the Red charisma check and have him believe that you are from the institute.)

He took me to Bunker Hill where, apparently, he had his mission. (This will not get you a side-mission or even a hint on where to go after you clean up Art vs Art encounter. I followed Art in a mere out-of-the-box decision of my own).
Since I didnt know what his mission were, I started killing everyone in Bunker Hill. I thought this could be what he wanted to do (Since several of the characters in Bunker Hill is allied with Railroad).

After the clean up I spoke to Art, and his answers were very generic. Before he said "Maybe we shouldn't talk about this anymore" and "I have to return to my mission" as this was his answer towards him believing that I was from the Institute, To "Thanks" and "Thank you".

I thought of this as a success.

After a few days and a few more dialogue choises (I am not going to spoil everything as this was my success and my alone so far it seems).

Synth X6 stood by my bed and told me I should follow him.

There has been tons of similar encounters for me just because I used my imagination towards new encounters instead of just following the simple questlog as every (Sorry but not sorry) stupid gamer always do. Look at thy questlog! Don't use your brain!

:hmmm:

That is some surreal levels of denial, right there.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
If the game sucks, use your imagination.

BRB.png

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Can somebody repost that picture that does the comparison of choices and dialogues between all the fallout games?

I need it for schoolin' some faggy fanboys

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
"Good game, bad rpg"? It's more of a case of "decent game"

Not even that in my book. When it comes to shooters lightly sprinkled with RPG most of the other alternatives are better. When you compare F4 to, say, Stalkers it's not even a contest. Even shallow shit like Far Cries, Just Causes or the best AssCreeds (2,3,6) is way more fun.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

See, I disagree that it's even a good game. It's actually quite mediocre and quickly becomes boring. I was going to write my comments, but decided to turn them into a review - admittedly a half-assed one compared to the effort I'm sure others would put into it.

Lambchop's Ass-Halved Pre-Darth Roxxor, Pre-Pre-Vault Dweller Fallout 4 Review:

Ah, Fallout 4. When Todd Howard first ran for game developer of the year with Fallout 3, he promised to completely soil what was left of the Fallout franchise and he more than delivered. Yellow supermutants, some idiotic plot about Liam Neeson, blah blah blah. We all knew the point was to make Fallout fanboys butthurt and butthurt they were. But the question was: could he possibly make a follow up to that? With the bar set so low, was there a way he could somehow disappoint the new generation of Fallout fanboys he helped to create as well as the old? Well, if the 5/10 MetaCritic User score is anything to go by, he has succeeded brilliantly.

kzBdY0M.png

Graphics

Looks vary between decent (overall design of the power armor) and ugly (most of the textures up close). It's pretty clear they just recycled the same old engine again. There are no reflections and the usual bad Bethesda animations abound. Not to mention all the bugs - nothing says immersion like people teleporting around in front of you or floating above the ground while swimming through the air. There are some nice implementations of retro art in the vaults and the power armor though and the game's intro shows off a lot of prewar 50's retro stuff that is kind of cool for the 5 minutes you actually spend looking at it.

ASOPAJf.jpg

Immurshun

Verisimilitude was thrown out the window in Fallout 3, sure, but I've never ceased to be amazed that Bethesda games are praised for their "immersion" when no semi-conscious human will never be immersed in a post-apocalyptic setting with things like never ending pistols, magic potatoes that help you sneak better and the general, glaring stupidity of the plot and characters. The plot, by the way, is extremely weak and takes a lot from a certain 80s movie that feels quite out of place in the Fallout universe. The characters all feel as one-dimensional as if they were something out of a fan fic and aren't very interactive. Find a secret mutant lab? Well, you can't confront it's owner with it. Want to ask personal questions that should be obvious and important to characters? Nine times out of ten, you can't. You just get the standard "here's a handful of lines of dialog and maybe a quest, now go away".

W88cHdx.jpg

Talky-Talky

The dialog system in general feels all kinds of broken. You can accidentally wander away and you can't skip the bizarre banter lines, so you have to click twice just to initiate a conversation. The dialog wheel is completely pointless and even worse than the Bioware implementation it was copied from. Most conversations are extremely linear and getting mislead into picking an option that meant something complete different than the two-word description led you to believe only adds insult to injury. Since charisma and a handful of perks are the only things that affect dialog now that the skills have been removed, you would think that Bethesda would have had time to improve on the actual writing of the dialog and the characters, but they actually feel more flat than ever.

m7bXoGB.jpg

Walky-Walky

There's really not much that's good about this game even as a "hiking sim" either. At first there seems to be a lot to find, but ammo, crafting components, weapons and armor are all so plentiful, there just isn't much reason to scavenge for stuff. Why every office, hospital and gas station filling cabinet is packed full of ammo and duct tape is beyond me. There's certainly no reason to go looking for an interesting quest, interesting NPCs or interesting fights because there are none. There's not much reason to explore either because the world actually feels quite small compared to Skyrim. This may be because Skyrim's map was a bit larger and also because Fallout 4's map feels much flatter, so it is easier to travel in a straight line from one location to another. For example it takes about 9 minutes to run/sprint from the starter vault at the top of the map directly south to the bottom of the map.

oQWvcLW.jpg

Combat: Unskilled

The removal of skills is one of the big things that even Fallout 3 fans are mad about. Now, when I heard that the skills would be removed from Fallout 4, part of me rolled my eyes, but the other part said, "Finally.". Bethesda's implementations of fighting skills have always seemed very broken to me. Whether it was Skyrim or in Fallout 3, their game clearly wanted to be an action RPG, but the skills seemed to be watering it down, making it less enjoyable as an action game, while the action elements made it feel less enjoyable as an RPG. I assumed that when Bethesda removed the skills, they'd put a better focus on the combat and at least make a decent FPS. I was wrong.

Sadly, combat feels fairly similar to Fallout 3. It doesn't rise to the adrenaline pumping action of a real First-Person-Shooter, instead you are still stuck whittling away at HP bars with your choice of peashooter. The only thing removing skills seems to have accomplished is to rob the player of a sense of progress. The main sense of progress you feel will now come from upping your stats, getting better guns and improving them. Guns are fairly plentiful though and you get a minigun and power armor at the start of the game. The crafting system can really improve your gear though and there are more powerful variants of the power armor you can find.

IxCLILe.png

Crafting, by the way, is something Bethesda actually added to the game and can also significantly increase the damage and utility of certain weapons. You can attach silencers to some guns, change the ammo types of others - there are actually quite a decent amount of options.

Combat: Been There Done That

Enemies are plentiful, but certain enemies seem to pop up over and over making combat monotonous at times. The "feral ghouls" for example are basically zombies and seem to litter the greater Boston area, as do the super-mutants. Combat against the same enemies over and over feels like a chore, especially when the story isn't anything to write home about as it is. Perhaps this was also due to my having killed a deathclaw at the start of the game. Kinda downhill from there.

If You Build It They Will Come

The base building game is very janky and feels tacked on. Often things don't snap together correctly and unless you are very creative and spend time at it, most of the time you are going to end up building things that are half floating in midair or just don't look right. Your bases rarely get attacked, especially if they have a high defense rating, so I really don't know that it's worth spending too much time on constructing the perfect post-apocalyptic pillow fort base unless you are just bored. Building up the economies of your settlements is a way to make a lot of money in the game though.

2X4ntrJ.png

Enter The Console

It deserves mentioning that the game's PC interface feels like a console port. From strange, illogical design decisions like having to press different keys to confirm everything to the cumbersome user interface for inventory and stats, everything was obliviously cut and pasted from one platform to the other with seemingly little concern for PC users. "Mods will fix it", I suppose.

idaOgjW.png

So Should I Buy This Schlock?

In my opinion there are only two reasons you should play this game: Either you have some autistic ambition to mod it into something more enjoyable (even though you will fail because autistic people usually end up making mods that are very complex, but not necessarily very fun) or you are bored and really want to play around with the power armor for an hour or two. Even if you do buy it though, I highly recommend waiting until a Steam sale when it's $5. Not because $50 is a lot of money, but because it is far more money than Fallout 4 is worth.

All that said, I really love the game. I had fun and that's what matters. It's one of those games whose whole is greater than the some of its parts. 10/10 GOTY.
:troll:

edit: Infinitron DarkUnderlord If you want to, you can use this for the front page since we don't have anything else right now. I tried to make it as neutral-positive as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Its just not a fallout game, or a RPG.
Its more like the bastard offspring of Borderlands and Rage.
Except it didn't inherit Borderland's humor and multiplayer focus, so its already better than its father.

Legendary enemies and items are dumb. The settlement system is interesting, but feels woefully undeveloped.
The dialog system is crap, and it doesn't even look that good. Those high system requirements are due to poor optimization; my computer with its I3 CPU and its Radeon 260 whatever can run it just fine.

Gunplay feels good though, better than FO3 anyway, and the enemies don't feel as bullet spongey. I shoot a guy and they die.
Still too easy though; ammo still doesn't have weight, and they throw around stims like candy.

I did sort of like the Power Armor changes, but I felt they added too many of them to the map; its because of this overabundance that they introduced fusion cores to try to balance it out, even though such items contradict pre-existing lore.

I haven't beaten it yet, but apparently there are no ending slides and you just continue after the main quest, like in Skyrim.
I hated that lack of closure. That was the worse thing in Skyrim for me, how you beat Alduin, but it doesn't feel like you accomplished anything, as the game continues along as if nothing happened.

I kind of like how most of the factions are assholes. The Railroad are idealistic morons who fail to understand that letting Synths gain complete free will and go skynet is a bad thing.
The BoS aren't the white knights of FO3, instead being closer to their traditional roles as technophiles. They stopped being isolationists though, and are now basically Space Marines.
Seriously, during Maxsons speech I was sure he was going to yell "BURN THE GHOUL, KILL THE MUTANT, PURGE THE SYNTH." So yeah, assholes.
Haven't met the institute yet, but apparently they are amoral Followers of the Apocalypse. With terminators.
The Minutemen are just...there.

So my verdict is : eeeeh its fiiiine.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Everyone seems to be enjoying the changes to the Power Armor. Meh, conceptually it's probably better, what with the fusion cores, upgrading various parts etc. But personally I didn't use PAs at all, outside few initial encounters. It felt bulky, awkward, clumsy, I couldn't see shit and I didn't even felt that well protected. A few bursts from SuperMutant's AR and boom, both my arms and half my HP were gone. Fuck that.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Everyone seems to be enjoying the changes to the Power Armor. Meh, conceptually it's probably better, what with the fusion cores, upgrading various parts etc. But personally I didn't use PAs at all, outside few initial encounters. It felt bulky, awkward, clumsy, I couldn't see shit and I didn't even felt that well protected. A few bursts from SuperMutant's AR and boom, both my arms and half my HP were gone. Fuck that.

I rarely used PA as well, since fusion cores drain way, way too quickly.
They last for something like 20 minutes. Fine for clearing an area, but for general use? Not feasible.
Its kind of funny though. "Oh you want power armor? Here you go. Oh, you actually want to use them? NOPE YOU HAVE TO SCROUNGE AROUND FOR THE BATTERIES! LOOOL"
Then Beth realized how punishing that system could be, so they made that rare bit of pre-war tech available to traders for something like 300 caps :D

You are a walking tank, so the clunkiness makes sense. Did you repair your suit before using it? Some PA pieces come damaged. An Assault Rifle shouldn't be able to do that much damage.

baturinsky

Arcane

First PA is unupgraded T45. It's very fragile for AP. With better models and/or upgrades you can get four time as much armor HP and DR.

It's not that hard to afford wearing PA 24/7. With Nuclear Physicist rank 2 (+50% core lifetime) and no drop-affecting perks I find more cores than I use up.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Did you repair your suit before using it? Some PA pieces come damaged. An Assault Rifle shouldn't be able to do that much damage.

First PA is unupgraded T45. It's very fragile for AP. With better models and/or upgrades you can get four time as much armor HP and DR.

Nah, I stopped using PAs after the attack on the Super Mutant fort. I went there with a brand new BoS PA and got shot to shit within seconds. My official dmg res was absurdly high, like 980 or some such, but no fucking way it felt seven times better than my normal 150.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Did you repair your suit before using it? Some PA pieces come damaged. An Assault Rifle shouldn't be able to do that much damage.

Nah, I stopped using PAs after the attack on the Super Mutant fort. I went there with a brand new BoS PA and got shot to shit within seconds. My official dmg res was absurdly high, like 980 or some such, but no fucking way it felt seven times better than my normal 150.

Well that's odd. I did the Fort Strong misson yesterday, and I only lost about 10% of my health. Only minimal armor damage.
Then again, I am playing on normal.

Maybe they had armor piercing mods?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Well that's odd. I did the Fort Strong misson yesterday, and I only lost about 10% of my health. Only minimal armor damage.
Then again, I am playing on normal.

Maybe they had armor piercing mods?

Maybe. Then again on very hard they hit a lot harder even without it.

baturinsky

Arcane

DR in F4 is kinda weird http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_Resistance , but I kinda like it. Very high DR is only really much better against big Alpha-damage, like Missiles and Fat Man. So, concentrated fire or DOT can still easily kill you. On the plus side, it means that you will always have to think and in combat.

If you want to be really tanky, Endurance stat is better bet, because it gives linear bonus, scaling with level. 10 Endurance means nearly three times HP as 1 Endurance on high level. On the other hand, food still gives same amount of HP, so you will want to get Medicine perk and rely on Stims.

Back to PA, I like it for
1. High Ballistic, Energy and Radiation res, obviously
2. 11 Strength
3. Useful mods, such as Calibrated Shocks (+~90 inventory space), VATS enhancing helmet and, of cause, Jetpack
4. Ease of switching between combat and Charisma attire.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Overseer's Guardian (combat rifle that shoots two bullets),
I found a normal combat rifle with the same effect on a legendary mudcrab. It's pretty odd tho, since it does not drain the ammo count faster than a normal one, it just twitches more, so I guess the dmg per shot is just doubled? The tommygun with the same effect is unusable even fully modded, you can't hit shit with that twitching unless you shove it up the enemy's nose...
Same way the cameleon effect on armors is more trouble than it's worth: pipboy becomes unreadable and you can't see your ironsights anymore.
And the assault rifle's purpose eludes me all together. It's worse than a combat rifle but uses ultra rare ammo.

In fact I found a lot of good armor/weapon parts just from legendary mobs, so it might be worth it using a mod to increase their spawnrate on standard difficulty. I am opposed upping the difficulty, because it just makes them bulletsponges. Sniper molotovs are already bad enough as it is.
Sadly most of the time it's metal or raper armor, y u no drop liek leather?

I rarely used PA as well, since fusion cores drain way, way too quickly.
They last for something like 20 minutes. Fine for clearing an area, but for general use? Not feasible.
Fusion cores for me were like the special scroll/ammo/weapon you save for the hard fights, yet you never use in the end. Most dungeons have at least one core, so the player comes out even in the end. Once I noticed I had some 40 cores collected I didn't feel the need to change my playstyle anymore. Come to think of it, I only used it for the glowing sea. And emerging from a lake upon a lone raider was one of the most fun I had in this game actually. Aside from that they are just to slow for me. Plus miniguns are a disappointment for all that ammo they eat.
You could always use the exploit of selling vendors nearly empty cores and buy back a full one. With grape mentats it cots close to nutin.

What pissed me off is the Bruddahood throwing a T-60 in your face if you pursue the mainquest a little.
"Dude you hid behind me during a mission without doing anything and watched a legendary protectron clear a subway station. Bro-hood material. You are a knight now, outranking half of the blimp, have a T-60 for good measure."

At least they got one thing from FO1 right: Energy weapons are truly superior now again, without the need for metagaming and increasing a skill 6 hours before you even get one.
I upgraded the laser rifle derp gives you the other day and it became an unstoppable weapon of mass uuh burnication. At full auto it still does a lot moah dmg than a combat rifle, with far higher rate of fire. It's a friggin mini gatling laser but without using fusion cores as ammo (dafuq bethesda?). Full auto plasma rifles are even more fun and they create nukular material on the corpses for your pleasure.

Last edited:

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
The opening for Fallout 4 was fucking terrible. It's an awkward, forced set piece that tells you utterly nothing about the pre-war world that you don't already know.
The opening is kind of horribly at odds with the lore and what's even stated in Fallout 4 about Boston pre-war. It's shown as a world of plenty, people living comfortable lives, etc. I mean they pay a little bit of lip service to it on the TV broadcast, but it's not enough. In the game you've got logs talking about scarcity, people at each other's throats trying to eke out a living, war rations/etc. Not to mention how heavily militarized everything is, soldiers in T-60 (lol) all over the city cracking down. It's like Bethsoft is completely oblivious to Brazil as an influence on Fallout and don't understand that the prewar veneer was nothing more than that, a myth. Let's not even get into the forced backstory about your character having been a member of the army. How far removed are we from the tone of Fallout 1 when a member of what was essentially a totalitarian neo-fascist America is cast as some sort of heroic / noble character. Good luck trying to play up that angle of Fallout's lore when playing Fallout 4. You'll be failing quests left and right or being outright ignored by quest givers until you give them the palatable dialog choice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom