Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
"Good game, bad rpg"? It's more of a case of "decent game"

Not even that in my book. When it comes to shooters lightly sprinkled with RPG most of the other alternatives are better. When you compare F4 to, say, Stalkers it's not even a contest. Even shallow shit like Far Cries, Just Causes or the best AssCreeds (2,3,6) is way more fun.

True dat. In fact, in my "updated impressions" post, I stated that the game is shit both as an RPG AND as a FPS. It's ok (not "good", not "great": just ok) if considered a "hiking simulator - with guns". I do agree that it can't even hold a candle to STALKER or Far Cry 2.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Overseer's Guardian (combat rifle that shoots two bullets),
I found a normal combat rifle with the same effect on a legendary mudcrab. It's pretty odd tho, since it does not drain the ammo count faster than a normal one, it just twitches more, so I guess the dmg per shot is just doubled? The tommygun with the same effect is unusable even fully modded, you can't hit shit with that twitching unless you shove it up the enemy's nose...
Same way the cameleon effect on armors is more trouble than it's worth: pipboy becomes unreadable and you can't see your ironsights anymore.
And the assault rifle's purpose eludes me all together. It's worse than a combat rifle but uses ultra rare ammo.

In fact I found a lot of good armor/weapon parts just from legendary mobs, so it might be worth it using a mod to increase their spawnrate on standard difficulty. I am opposed upping the difficulty, because it just makes them bulletsponges. Sniper molotovs are already bad enough as it is.
Sadly most of the time it's metal or raper armor, y u no drop liek leather?

I rarely used PA as well, since fusion cores drain way, way too quickly.
They last for something like 20 minutes. Fine for clearing an area, but for general use? Not feasible.
Fusion cores for me were like the special scroll/ammo/weapon you save for the hard fights, yet you never use in the end. Most dungeons have at least one core, so the player comes out even in the end. Once I noticed I had some 40 cores collected I didn't feel the need to change my playstyle anymore. Come to think of it, I only used it for the glowing sea. And emerging from a lake upon a lone raider was one of the most fun I had in this game actually. Aside from that they are just to slow for me. Plus miniguns are a disappointment for all that ammo they eat.
You could always use the exploit of selling vendors nearly empty cores and buy back a full one. With grape mentats it cots close to nutin.

What pissed me off is the Bruddahood throwing a T-60 in your face if you pursue the mainquest a little.
"Dude you hid behind me during a mission without doing anything and watched a legendary protectron clear a subway station. Bro-hood material. You are a knight now, outranking half of the blimp, have a T-60 for good measure."

At least they got one thing from FO1 right: Energy weapons are truly superior now again, without the need for metagaming and increasing a skill 6 hours before you even get one.
I upgraded the laser rifle derp gives you the other day and it became an unstoppable weapon of mass uuh burnication. At full auto it still does a lot moah dmg than a combat rifle, with far higher rate of fire. It's a friggin mini gatling laser but without using fusion cores as ammo (dafuq bethesda?). Full auto plasma rifles are even more fun and they create nukular material on the corpses for your pleasure.

Yeah, energy weapons are pretty awesome.
I don't like how they made everything use the same ammo though.
What makes the commonwealth so special? Why do they have laser pistols that are just AER9 rifles with a grip?
Makes no sense.

I noticed that too about the brotherhood. For an organisation reputed to be unfriendly to outsiders, they sure seem eager to give a stranger their good stuff. I guess Beth really wanted to treat the player like a special snowflake again.

baturinsky

Arcane
Back to armor DR.
In damage formula, damage is divided by DR power 0.366
Which means that damage reduction from DR is roughly cubic, you need 8 as much DR to to take half as much damage

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Why do they have laser pistols that are just AER9 rifles with a grip?
Gave me nice memories to Star Trek III, where disruptor pistols became rifles with snap ons. (there was a design for phasers as well that got never used)

With all the effort they put into the Prydwen arrival and already almost unavoidable helping Buzz Lightyear early, the player is definitly urged to go BoS on his first run. We are the good guys! Bonus points for consoletards only knowing the FO3 Bruddahood and expecting the same here. Powah Armoah! Manning the vrrrtibrrrd minigun! PA delivery service!
At least it gives you some nice "wait, what am I doing here?" moments when you "help the people of the commonwealth" by taking settlement resources by force, and irradicating every ghoul or synth (and their allies) on sight.
You are not here to think maggot! Trust in your superiors, they know better than you lowlife wastelander. Hoorah! Ad Vicky!:salute:
Plus there is the nice twist with Paladin Derp on top of it. Thanks for the nice coat Maxon, you don't need it anymore riiiite?

If anything I would compare them to Skyrim's Stormcloaks, who you get pushed towards from the start, only to realize that Ulfric is just manipulating the sheeple for his own gains.
Of course, once again using your brain should make you ditch them halfway in. Meaning 99% of Xbone players unlocked "The nukular option" achievment first.

Back to armor DR.
Which means that damage reduction from DR is roughly cubic, you need 8 as much DR to to take half as much damage
The way I understood it, having equal or more DR than the dmg received makes you take only 50% dmg, then the higher the difference is, the closer you get to 85%. I noticed taking close to no dmg in T1 leather armor against raiders, but that might be also because of level difference. So theoretically I could run with my armor until the end if I add the best weaves to my jumpsuit later.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Why do they have laser pistols that are just AER9 rifles with a grip?
Gave me nice memories to Star Trek III, where disruptor pistols became rifles with snap ons. (there was a design for phasers as well that got never used)

With all the effort they put into the Prydwen arrival and already almost unavoidable helping Buzz Lightyear early, the player is definitly urged to go BoS on his first run. We are the good guys! Bonus points for consoletards only knowing the FO3 Bruddahood and expecting the same here. Powah Armoah! Manning the vrrrtibrrrd minigun! PA delivery service!
At least it gives you some nice "wait, what am I doing here?" moments when you "help the people of the commonwealth" by taking settlement resources by force, and irradicating every ghoul or synth (and their allies) on sight.
You are not here to think maggot! Trust in your superiors, they know better than you lowlife wastelander. Hoorah! Ad Vicky!:salute:
Plus there is the nice twist with Paladin Derp on top of it. Thanks for the nice coat Maxon, you don't need it anymore riiiite?

If anything I would compare them to Skyrim's Stormcloaks, who you get pushed towards from the start, only to realize that Ulfric is just manipulating the sheeple for his own gains.
Of course, once again using your brain should make you ditch them halfway in. Meaning 99% of Xbone players unlocked "The nukular option" achievment first.

Back to armor DR.
The way I understood it, having equal or more DR than the dmg received makes you take only 50% dmg, then the higher the difference is, the closer you get to 85%. I noticed taking close to no dmg in T1 leather armor against raiders, but that might be also because of level difference. So theoretically I could run with my armor until the end if I add the best weaves to my jumpsuit later.

I actually sided with the BoS as well.
From a story perspective it makes sense; they are against the Institute.
The Institute took the main character's son. Ergo, the BoS, due to their equipment, are ideal allies.
I totally plan on ditching them at some point though. Not too found of their "Obey all orders, and purge the Unclean, Battlebrother" schtick.

I like though how Danse tells you that he is going to watch you at all times to make sure you obey orders, and that merc work is off the table, and then lets you fuck off with their rare suit of powered armor and do your own thing.
I can imagine him on the blimp's bar thinking, "man, that new recruit has been in the bathroom for a while. I still don't understand why he needed his armor"

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I certainly makes the most sense when you are about to enter the institute. The greasemonkey in Sucktuary building that hightech machine from scratch was so ridiculous I couldn't stop banging my head on the table.

For science I tried ignoring cambridge until the blimp arrives, but it feels completely off then. With all those vertibird crashing in the landscape they could have just waved their hands and be extracted. So no, you have to help them before to conserve precious immershun... Even if you help them and just delay joining, they will stand there in the entrance and not move an inch until you join.
Going back to the blimp? Naaaah, we are waiting for the Chosen1 to join us first! I totally know he will, I have seen him in my dreams!
Derpy doesn't even comment on you wearing Powah Armoah when you first meet him. Quality writing as usual.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So, I just played that part where you go to the Memory Den.
I think that sequence might be the best bit of writing and character development in the game.
It was pretty basic, but it was competently done.

Kellogg should have been the main character. Playing through his story would have been more interesting that Lone Wanderer II's Boston adventure. Beth just can't make a game with a make-your-own-hero-and-backstory feature. Kellogg, who has an established back story, would be more interesting. It would most certainly have been another shooter, but all of Beth's games are like that, so really nothing lost there.
Also, Shi.

Perkel

Arcane
Gone back to FNV for another playtrough.

Will wait for proper mods to expand base building aspect of game and probably will never finish actual main quest (and most of sidequests for that matter)...

Maybe some new world space...

Or maybe modders will port FNV into Fallout 4 engine..

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I'd like to not be a vault dweller, to be honest. Like, Fallout 2/Vegas didn't have you as one. Fallout 3 did, and that was fine, it was literally just "Hey look fallout in 3d whooaaa" and did nothing interesting just safe. Fallout 4 should NOT have been you as a dweller, or even a fucking pre-war person again, god damn that was dumb

And that is why they should have just let you play as Kellogg

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
I'd like to not be a vault dweller, to be honest. Like, Fallout 2/Vegas didn't have you as one. Fallout 3 did, and that was fine, it was literally just "Hey look fallout in 3d whooaaa" and did nothing interesting just safe. Fallout 4 should NOT have been you as a dweller, or even a fucking pre-war person again, god damn that was dumb

Just like Tamriel has been in technological stasis for hundreds of years, so will the Fallout world be. You'll never not be from a vault, the currency will always be bottle caps, there'll always be the brotherhood and super mutants and ghouls. It's the Bethesda MO.

Lemming42

Arcane
What? You think Fallout 3 is superior to Fallout 4?

Fallout 3 had (badly done) branching quests, (badly done) alternate solutions to quests, (badly done) different builds with different ways to use your skillset, reasonably well-done exploration in the usual Bethesda style and, perhaps, a slightly bigger world map. It certainly felt denser than Fo4.

Fallout 4 has none of those things, unless you count the crap CHA checks you get once in a blue moon. The only thing that's notably better than in Fo3 is the combat (which still basically sucks), everything else is a step down. I guess the story and setting are less outright offensively bad than in 3, but at least 3 has the hideous B-movie "we've got to stop these people fixing the purifier we want fixed" thing going on, Fo4 is just thoroughly boring.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
All the new gimmicks and features seem to be based at least partially on the most popular Fallout 3/NV and Skyrim mods without them really understanding why said mods were popular. This has resulted in a game that is mostly enjoyable, but without any heart thus making it get boring relatively quickly.

My guess is that they had no idea what they actually wanted to do with the franchise, hence why they contracted Obsidian to do a follow-up to 3 in the hopes they'd steer the franchise in a workable direction. Lacking the writing ability and inspiration, they tried a bastardization of F3 and NV plots to an awkward delivery that by necessity results in a very narrow/ non-existant story branch.

I believe the update to the mechanics of the game range from ok to good, with the exception of dialouge. I'm hoping they'll contract out another spinoff ala NV style to another developer (even if it isn't Obsidian) to ideally turn what's a good but underwhelming game into something that has good gameplay and depth.

Let's hope Bethesda is open to criticism. If they are, the next iteration or spinoff could be a thoroughly enjoyable game. If not, I have significant concerns that future Fallout and Elder Scrolls installments are going to suffer to a point where mods won't even make the games worth playing. Fallout 4 DLC will likely be a sign of what the future of these IP's will be. Let's hope they were serious about fan feedback shaping Fallout 4 DLC...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Fallout 4 is the better shooter. Fallout 3 had better 'RPG elements' which is saying something...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom