Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Lhynn

Arcane
So all the roleplaying elements replaced with better quality shooting and autist awareness systems make for a better game.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Fallout 4 is the better shooter. Fallout 3 had better 'RPG elements' which is saying something...
I agree, though I think Fallout 4 has the better story, which is also saying something.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Fallout 4's environment is a hell of a lot more logical as well. Seeing farms and multiple settlements makes The Commonwealth feel a lot more alive.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
I like the Companions commenting on your actions and on the locations you visit.

It's cosmetic, but it feels like your progress and achievements are acknowledged.

Ayup, plus a blank slate protagonist instead of dad.

Or mother.

And how is a child from a vault any more blank slate than a person from the past?
More importantly, why are you retards arguing as if a blank slate protagonist is a bad thing? It's not, forced emotional attachment and predefined shit characters are much worse, Fallout 4's PC is awful because he has a voice, because you can't control his shit dialogue, because he is always a pre-war married new father faggot.

Fallout 3's Protagonist was way more blank slate than the new PoS, and was better for it, NV took it further by defining little else save for you having been a courier who was shot.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
More importantly, why are you retards arguing as if a blank slate protagonist is a bad thing? It's not, forced emotional attachment and predefined shit characters are much worse, Fallout 4's PC is awful because he has a voice, because you can't control his shit dialogue, because he is always a pre-war married new father faggot.
So the difference here is that the Fallout 3 character doesn't have a voice. Such blank slatings.

Lhynn

Arcane
So the difference here is that the Fallout 3 character doesn't have a voice. Such blank slatings.
And that he didnt have a career, and that he wasnt married and had a family, and that he was a good guy or a good sarcastic guy, and that he didnt have a son, and neither his way of talking or his manerisms. The only thing you get to define about your character is its name in FO4.
Why dont you piss off instead of answering inane shit.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Or mother.

And how is a child from a vault any more blank slate than a person from the past?

Fallout 3's Protagonist was way more blank slate than the new PoS, and was better for it, NV took it further by defining little else save for you having been a courier who was shot.
FO4's protagonist feels like a heavy handed way of engaging the player. All Fallout player characters are like this to a degree and are not completely blank slates, though this is the most aggressive version of it yet:

Fallout 1: Vault Dweller in searching for a water chip.
Fallout 2: Descendant of the first Vault Dweller, tribal, Chosen One, searching for a GECK.
Fallout 3: Vault dweller, son of Liam Neeson, betrayed by the overseer, searching for daddy.
Fallout New Vegas: Courier, hired by Benny, betrayed and left for dead, searching for Benny.
Fallout 4: 200 year old War Veteran and house owner, frozen in a vault, had a spouse named Nate or Nora that was murdered and a male baby named Shuan that was kidnapped, searching for Shuan who himself is locked into a certain background.

In FO4, your history, your spouse's history and your son's history are all locked from the start.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron

Or mother.

I never made any claim about a blank slate being inferior. I thought most here would logically assume no-one would make such a claim about a roleplaying game.

I don't think growing up in a vault is neccessarily more blank slate than growing up pre-war. There's countless variables from the outside world that could shape countless larp characters.

Lemming42

Arcane

I missed about half of those during my playthrough but stuff like "KILL EVIL SCIENCE LADY" vs "KILL Honest Dan", which I did play, are hardly inspiring alternate quest solutions. The rest look to be about on the level of Fargo's legendary "do I save this drowning kid or let him drown" school of choices.

Comparatively:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Wasteland_Survival_Guide_(quest)
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/You_Gotta_Shoot_'Em_in_the_Head
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Tenpenny_Tower_(quest)
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Trouble_in_Big_Town
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Trouble_on_the_Homefront

And to avoid cherrypicking, here's some really shite linear quests that still manage to have some kind of choice at the end:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Reilly's_Rangers_(quest)
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Superhuman_Gambit
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Agatha's_Song

The alternate solutions also involved, occasionally, skill checks. Granted, it was terrible "[Science] You're a computer!" type stuff but they were still essentially skill checks which changed the outcome or course of quests.

Lhynn

Arcane
and that he didnt have a son,
Yeah he had a dad! LOL

COme on, play the fallout 3 prologue again. You even get to overcome bullying (with deep C&C). :happytrollboy:
I played fallour 3 prologue a couple weeks ago. You can take 3 stances to deal with it, either you are a bitch, you do not give fucks or you stand up to them (you can also reason with them tho its a hard check). You can play as a good kid, a jerk, an overactive fuck.

Also, everyone has a father, having a son is a lot more defining, especially when you dont get to pick how you react to having it. You literally have no arguments to give bro, so why the fuck are you even arguing this point? to be a contrarian cunt?

That fallout 3 is better isnt even a question, and this only serves to show us how far beth has fallen.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
and that he didnt have a son,
Yeah he had a dad! LOL

COme on, play the fallout 3 prologue again. You even get to overcome bullying (with deep C&C). :happytrollboy:

Also, everyone has a father

child-crying12.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Fallout 4's C&C is on the level of Bioshock's C&C.

/kenlevinevoice

'Choices... and consequence... do I hack the turret or bash this splicer with a wrench? Choices... and consequences.'

Fallout 4 is closer to something like Borderlands, Hellgate London, or Dead Island.

Lemming42

Arcane
Fallout 3 had (badly done) branching quests, (badly done) alternate solutions to quests

Fallout 4 has none of those things

stuff like ... are hardly inspiring alternate quest solutions.

SaOCF9c.jpg

No, you're right, I spoke wrong originally, I'd forgotten that in addition to the CHA checks some quests also let you shoot person A instead of shooting person B.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom