Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
I think you're all mad as a Radscorpion on Jet, Fallout 4 is brilliant in my radiated books.

It's the best Future Farm Sims game since Settlers AGA on Amiga 1200.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
and that he didnt have a son,
Yeah he had a dad! LOL

COme on, play the fallout 3 prologue again. You even get to overcome bullying (with deep C&C). :happytrollboy:
I played fallour 3 prologue a couple weeks ago. You can take 3 stances to deal with it, either you are a bitch, you do not give fucks or you stand up to them (you can also reason with them tho its a hard check). You can play as a good kid, a jerk, an overactive fuck.

Also, everyone has a father, having a son is a lot more defining, especially when you dont get to pick how you react to having it. You literally have no arguments to give bro, so why the fuck are you even arguing this point? to be a contrarian cunt?

That fallout 3 is better isnt even a question, and this only serves to show us how far beth has fallen.
To get kicks out of people praising Fallout 3's C&C. What a terrible loss for roleplaying games.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I'm just saying that you could tell me Fallout 4 has the same amount or even more C&C than Fallout 3 and I'd just as soon believe, because I don't recall I was ever presented with a meaninful choice in either game.

Lemming42

Arcane
I doubt anybody's praising Fallout 3's C&C, it was just as shit as almost every other feature in the game, but it was nevertheless a step above Fallout 4 in the same way that having one of your balls crushed is a step above having both of them crushed.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
This game is terrible, its just as bad as 3.

The Skillsystem is horrible, it forces you to spend way to much on SPECIAL shit because everything has a min level.
And that shit doesnt make sense, everybody can learn some decent lockpicking unless you have fucking parkinsons.

The Minuteman are horrible because if you get into that whole minecraft/settler shit too much in the beginning you
will learn that a:
Settlements are completly useless.
Garvey is a retard that doesnt know where he lives.
Settlers have dementia because there is no acknowledgement for your character whatsoever, i.e. same dude that
you helped will ask you 5 times wether you are with the Minutemen.
The quests partially come driveby like, just walking pas someone will get you the same stupid quest again and again.
The game is focused on these guys until you meet someone else, while you do quests for them your settlement might just burn.
At some point it feels like terrible MMO daily quests, literally WOW dailyquests > FO4 settlershit.

BOS and Institute are equally evil and retarded.

Railroad librul peta party feels rushed and useless.

Dropping the typical fallout ending, yuck, so my influence on the wasteland was what?

The sidequests arent very interesting.

Just like in 3 everybody loves living in shit, nobody ever picked up a broom and basic carpentry that every man should know
has been lost to the world.

Theres some epic shooty shooty and some stupid fun here and there and thats it.

The game is also a way worst pokemon game, collecting unique weapons and shit is boring because they didnt even bother to make
new textures & models for most of the stuff.

Did i miss the whorehouses and hookers or are there none? PC as fuck.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The Skillsystem is horrible, it forces you to spend way to much on SPECIAL shit because everything has a min level.
And that shit doesnt make sense, everybody can learn some decent lockpicking unless you have fucking parkinsons.
There's already a mod that removes the level requirements from perks. Those oughta get severely rebalanced, same with the attributes. CHA looks like even more of a dump stat than in F3/FNV.

Lemming42

Arcane
No, you're right, I spoke wrong originally, I'd forgotten that in addition to the CHA checks some quests also let you shoot person A instead of shooting person B.

(It requires INT 3+ to repair the power cables or grab the power cables to repair them)

(It requires INT 5+ to repair the power relay coil)

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Last_Voyage_of_the_U.S.S._Constitution

I never did this quest and I don't understand the choice here. If you have the INT level you can avoid having to spend money to fix it?

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
The sad part about Fallout 3 is that they demonstrated they kind of knew what a Fallout quest looked like. The very first quest in the main quest line, probably the first quest the designed, where you have to wheedle the name of DJ Fighting the Good Fight With His Voice out of wasted famous voice actor bar tender dude. It had some minor branching, you could exercise hacking, lockpick, speech, pickpocketing, barter, violence or just spend money to solve the thing.

It was also the only quest like it in the entire game. They had the right idea, just the Bethesda retardation field overtook them before they got anywhere with it.

Lemming42

Arcane
The sad part about Fallout 3 is that they demonstrated they kind of knew what a Fallout quest looked like. The very first quest in the main quest line, probably the first quest the designed, where you have to wheedle the name of DJ Fighting the Good Fight With His Voice out of wasted famous voice actor bar tender dude. It had some minor branching, you could exercise hacking, lockpick, speech, pickpocketing, barter, violence or just spend money to solve the thing.

It was also the only quest like it in the entire game. They had the right idea, just the Bethesda retardation field overtook them before they got anywhere with it.

A few of the quests in the game (other than the rest of the main quest, which was atrocious and completely linear) had hints of C&C like that, or at least crappy attempts at it. There were some interesting ideas like being able to do the entire shitty Wasteland Survival Guide quest without ever actually doing anything, for if your Speech was high enough you could lie about every single task and still receive the reward, or alternatively you could talk her into giving up which I think gave some dumb reward of its own. Also stuff like Tenpenny Tower where your actions backfire against you, something that Bethesda typically seem straight-up scared to put in their games.

Quoting VD's NMA review:
The most important feature of the game is the promise of great things to come from Bethesda in the future, so let's get those monkeys out of the office and kick some ass. God knows, it's been long overdue.
Which is why it's so grating to see Fallout 4 largely piss away what little flashes of genuine C&C Fo3 had.

Might as well shoot them.

Don't worry, you do in the end anyway unless Bethesda have patched it since release. Leaving an area and coming back turns them all hostile again, and once or twice everyone I'd pacified teleported through the next loading door behind me, all aggro'd.

pippin

Also stuff like Tenpenny Tower where your actions backfire against you, something that Bethesda typically seem straight-up scared to put in their games.

I killed Tenpenny as part of the Shoot them in the Head quest and later allowed them into the tower (ghouls are people too you shitlord). It seemed so out of place to see those feral ghouls killing everybody, you don't get to see stugg like that in the game. But hey, at least I got a cool ghoul mask out of this.

He doesn't?
Well, that's lame. I was actually thinking the other day what his reaction would be if you went to the Police Station in T45 armor
Beth's inattention to detail is awe-inspiring.

Showed up in a mix of T-45 and T51, upgraded to Type D with a number of other mods and Preston in a T-45 customized with Minutemen colors and lacking a helmet. Ran the mission in ArcJet and he tried tempting me with my very own suit of armor. Yeah I think I'm doing fine on my own.

Also stuff like Tenpenny Tower where your actions backfire against you, something that Bethesda typically seem straight-up scared to put in their games.

I killed Tenpenny as part of the Shoot them in the Head quest and later allowed them into the tower (ghouls are people too you shitlord). It seemed so out of place to see those feral ghouls killing everybody, you don't get to see stugg like that in the game. But hey, at least I got a cool ghoul mask out of this.

Had friends who thought it was a bug.

BenComicGraphics: So Genma, what do you think of the Fallout 3 plugins that fix the broken ending of the Tenpenny quest?

Genma:TheDestroyer:
What broken ending? I was never aware there was a problem with the Tenpenny quests. Are we talking 'blow up Megaton' or 'deal with the Ghouls'? And what's the problem?

BenComicGraphics: the Deal with the ghouls subquest. Now they can co-habitate.

Phrozen: Actually, they could before. You just have to kill Roy after you tell him that the residents agreed.

Genma:TheDestroyer: That's...not a broken ending. That's by design. Roy is a lying, back-stabbing punk who's just as racist as Tenpenny. Actually more so, considering Tenpenny eventually doesn't care either way, while Roy seems to hate every human but Burke and The Lone Wanderer. It's not like a bug makes them kill all the humans, but act as if that never happened. They know exactly what they did. Talk to the other ghouls, do some investigating, and you'll find out this is more or less exactly what Roy had planned all along if the inhabitants had relented. The other ghouls admit Roy basically did it because he wanted to, and Roy in turn will go off about how he won't get lectured by a smooth-skin.

Now, what *is* broken is that even then killing Roy is considered a bad action, and Three-Dog is too much of a damn doofus to figure out 'hey, not all Ghouls are the innocent type'. If anything, Tenpenny Tower is one of the few instances where Bethesda actually got close to something worthy of the original two games.

BenComicGraphics: I find it hard playing as a true 'good' character, knowing that the 'positive karma' route basically ends with Roy murdering every human in the tower.

Genma:TheDestroyer:
Like I said, some of the decisions they made were retarded, but it doesn't change the fact that Roy was meant to be just as xenophobic as the people he accused, if not more so. Anyone who talked to the guy should have figured he wasn't going to simply calm down if he was let in. You can't expect everything to work out as neat and clean as it would in a perfect world. If you're playing a good-natured person, the best they can do is go with what seemed right at the time. Some of those will be mistakes, but eh...

Edit: Of course, with mods you *can* expect it to be clean cut if you want it. I just never saw it as broken, so I never bothered using any of the mods I saw that dealt with Tenpenny.

metaphysician: What the Tenpenny Tower quest needed was more fleshed out options. At a bare minimum, it needed to acknowledge that Roy massacring the humans was a bad, bad thing, and allow you to kill him without dinging your karma. Preferably, there should have been some way to find out that Roy was going to commit mass murder, beforehand, and kill or otherwise remove him.

Wow, this goes back to 09. How time flies.

pippin

Which is why I'm ok with removing karma systems from games. It allows for better narrative and player choice, but this means we should also expect more gray area quests, situations, characters and even quest outcomes.

Being able to know beforehand Roy would betray everyone would ruin the quest. The cool thing about it was coming back later on and finding a basement full of bodies of people who trusted you. It's almost like my character isn't an infallible god who can save everyone all the time!

Getting bad karma for killing Roy is probably an oversight (my guess is that they forgot to change his alignment to evil after the quest is over, or just didn't bother and thought people wouldn't want to end it all in a bloodbath after pursuing the diplomatic route), but you can always give some more water to the beggars if it bothers you. :M

Gerrard

Arcane
Fallout 3 had (badly done) different builds
No it didn't. There is literally one optimal build that gives you maxed everything that is worth anything, and it doesn't even require much thought or meta-knowledge.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I've been saying this again and again, Bethesda make Bethesda games. They focus on exploring a well-built world and also making you feel like a badass. Some people like that, some don't. New Vegas was your fallout game, Todd himself said that they reached out to Obsidian to make it. They know what you guys want and they gave it to you, there are audiences for both as evidenced by the amazing sales both games got. I just hope Obsidian have the team members available to make another one.

Beastro

Arcane

Early to bait reviewers into being impressed and passing on the lair that the rest of the game is like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom