Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Discussion in 'Bethesda Game Studios' started by Daedalos, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Curious_Tongue Larpfest Patron

Curious_Tongue
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
    What? You think Fallout 3 is superior to Fallout 4?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Lemming42 Arcane

Lemming42
    Fallout 3 had (badly done) branching quests, (badly done) alternate solutions to quests, (badly done) different builds with different ways to use your skillset, reasonably well-done exploration in the usual Bethesda style and, perhaps, a slightly bigger world map. It certainly felt denser than Fo4.

Fallout 4 has none of those things, unless you count the crap CHA checks you get once in a blue moon. The only thing that's notably better than in Fo3 is the combat (which still basically sucks), everything else is a step down. I guess the story and setting are less outright offensively bad than in 3, but at least 3 has the hideous B-movie "we've got to stop these people fixing the purifier we want fixed" thing going on, Fo4 is just thoroughly boring.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Lord Carlos Wafflebum Aspiring Infinitron Patron

Lord Carlos Wafflebum
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    All the new gimmicks and features seem to be based at least partially on the most popular Fallout 3/NV and Skyrim mods without them really understanding why said mods were popular. This has resulted in a game that is mostly enjoyable, but without any heart thus making it get boring relatively quickly.

My guess is that they had no idea what they actually wanted to do with the franchise, hence why they contracted Obsidian to do a follow-up to 3 in the hopes they'd steer the franchise in a workable direction. Lacking the writing ability and inspiration, they tried a bastardization of F3 and NV plots to an awkward delivery that by necessity results in a very narrow/ non-existant story branch.

I believe the update to the mechanics of the game range from ok to good, with the exception of dialouge. I'm hoping they'll contract out another spinoff ala NV style to another developer (even if it isn't Obsidian) to ideally turn what's a good but underwhelming game into something that has good gameplay and depth.

Let's hope Bethesda is open to criticism. If they are, the next iteration or spinoff could be a thoroughly enjoyable game. If not, I have significant concerns that future Fallout and Elder Scrolls installments are going to suffer to a point where mods won't even make the games worth playing. Fallout 4 DLC will likely be a sign of what the future of these IP's will be. Let's hope they were serious about fan feedback shaping Fallout 4 DLC...

^ Top  
  4. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Fallout 4 is the better shooter. Fallout 3 had better 'RPG elements' which is saying something...

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    What? You dont?
    :what:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Curious_Tongue Larpfest Patron

Curious_Tongue
    Did you play the fucking game?

^ Top  
  7. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Fallout 4 is way better than 3. What the fuck.

Way more "mods will fix it" potential.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    So all the roleplaying elements replaced with better quality shooting and autist awareness systems make for a better game.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  9. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    What roleplaying elements? Karma? Skills? lmao

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    Ayup, plus a blank slate protagonist instead of dad.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Curious_Tongue Larpfest Patron

Curious_Tongue
    Or mother.

And how is a child from a vault any more blank slate than a person from the past?

^ Top  
  12. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    You can larp your own voice.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. Curious_Tongue Larpfest Patron

Curious_Tongue
    I don't really roleplay, I avatar.

I couldn't imagine roleplaying any character in fallout 3's setting though.

^ Top  
  14. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    I agree, though I think Fallout 4 has the better story, which is also saying something.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. Curious_Tongue Larpfest Patron

Curious_Tongue
    Fallout 4's environment is a hell of a lot more logical as well. Seeing farms and multiple settlements makes The Commonwealth feel a lot more alive.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Curious_Tongue Larpfest Patron

Curious_Tongue
    I like the Companions commenting on your actions and on the locations you visit.

It's cosmetic, but it feels like your progress and achievements are acknowledged.

^ Top  
  17. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    More vertical places too. Though I stopped playing at lexington, maybe it's the only place like that :M

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Onholyservicebound Arcane

Onholyservicebound
    More importantly, why are you retards arguing as if a blank slate protagonist is a bad thing? It's not, forced emotional attachment and predefined shit characters are much worse, Fallout 4's PC is awful because he has a voice, because you can't control his shit dialogue, because he is always a pre-war married new father faggot.

Fallout 3's Protagonist was way more blank slate than the new PoS, and was better for it, NV took it further by defining little else save for you having been a courier who was shot.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    So the difference here is that the Fallout 3 character doesn't have a voice. Such blank slatings.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    And that he didnt have a career, and that he wasnt married and had a family, and that he was a good guy or a good sarcastic guy, and that he didnt have a son, and neither his way of talking or his manerisms. The only thing you get to define about your character is its name in FO4.
    Why dont you piss off instead of answering inane shit.

^ Top  
  21. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Yeah he had a dad! LOL

COme on, play the fallout 3 prologue again. You even get to overcome bullying (with deep C&C). :happytrollboy:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    FO4's protagonist feels like a heavy handed way of engaging the player. All Fallout player characters are like this to a degree and are not completely blank slates, though this is the most aggressive version of it yet:

Fallout 1: Vault Dweller in searching for a water chip.
    Fallout 2: Descendant of the first Vault Dweller, tribal, Chosen One, searching for a GECK.
    Fallout 3: Vault dweller, son of Liam Neeson, betrayed by the overseer, searching for daddy.
    Fallout New Vegas: Courier, hired by Benny, betrayed and left for dead, searching for Benny.
    Fallout 4: 200 year old War Veteran and house owner, frozen in a vault, had a spouse named Nate or Nora that was murdered and a male baby named Shuan that was kidnapped, searching for Shuan who himself is locked into a certain background.

In FO4, your history, your spouse's history and your son's history are all locked from the start.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Curious_Tongue Larpfest Patron

Curious_Tongue
    I never made any claim about a blank slate being inferior. I thought most here would logically assume no-one would make such a claim about a roleplaying game.

I don't think growing up in a vault is neccessarily more blank slate than growing up pre-war. There's countless variables from the outside world that could shape countless larp characters.

^ Top  
  24. Lemming42 Arcane

Lemming42
    I missed about half of those during my playthrough but stuff like "KILL EVIL SCIENCE LADY" vs "KILL Honest Dan", which I did play, are hardly inspiring alternate quest solutions. The rest look to be about on the level of Fargo's legendary "do I save this drowning kid or let him drown" school of choices.

Comparatively:
    http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Wasteland_Survival_Guide_(quest)
    http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/You_Gotta_Shoot_'Em_in_the_Head
    http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Tenpenny_Tower_(quest)
    http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Trouble_in_Big_Town
    http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Trouble_on_the_Homefront

And to avoid cherrypicking, here's some really shite linear quests that still manage to have some kind of choice at the end:
    http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Reilly's_Rangers_(quest)
    http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Superhuman_Gambit
    http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Agatha's_Song

The alternate solutions also involved, occasionally, skill checks. Granted, it was terrible "[Science] You're a computer!" type stuff but they were still essentially skill checks which changed the outcome or course of quests.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)