Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Discussion in 'Bethesda Game Studios' started by Daedalos, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  2. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    No it didn't. There is literally one optimal build that gives you maxed everything that is worth anything, and it doesn't even require much thought or meta-knowledge.

^ Top  
  3. DosBuster Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

DosBuster
    Codex USB, 2014
    I've been saying this again and again, Bethesda make Bethesda games. They focus on exploring a well-built world and also making you feel like a badass. Some people like that, some don't. New Vegas was your fallout game, Todd himself said that they reached out to Obsidian to make it. They know what you guys want and they gave it to you, there are audiences for both as evidenced by the amazing sales both games got. I just hope Obsidian have the team members available to make another one.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    :hahyou:

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  5. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    Early to bait reviewers into being impressed and passing on the lair that the rest of the game is like that.

^ Top  
  6. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Like the Fargoth quest talked about ad nauseam in Morrowind hype. Or the recording of the many name variations in Fallout 4...used by one character in the game at the start and marketed as a feature.

edit:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Is Hellgate London worth a trip to the high seas?

^ Top  
  8. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    No. Go buy&play Grim Dawn

^ Top  
  9. Humppaleka Arbiter

Humppaleka
    I had my share of fun with Hellgate: London with the Rebirth mod, but the last 5 hours or so became a terrible slog and I just ran through it so meh.

^ Top  
  10. DosBuster Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

DosBuster
    Codex USB, 2014

Yes, at times it does go for style over realism. However, you have to admit the world art team do a very good job in creating an atmosphere and building things that look cool. Every inch of the world has a very complex pass of detail on it.

In regards to actual story world-building, yeah, I see your point. And in some cases I agree, a lot of it doesn't make sense. I don't think it has broken the canon of the Fallout lore, I get that to some a few of their explanations are a second-thought to including a certain element of previous Fallout games. (Super mutants)

That being said, Bethesda kinda shot themselves in the foot with a voiced protagonist in a way I don't understand the intention of. I got the impression that they wanted to get a serious emotional beat happening, however, their basic design philosophy got in the way of all that. The reason why dialogue options are mostly flavour is that no doubt making serious choices with that Dialogue UI would result in serious complaints. However, that UI exists since considering how you can freely move around and interact during convos a system that just works fast in giving you the gist of the option works best.

With the ending, I think it suffered from the fact that they can't really develop the character too far in any direction since players would complain that it's not their character, and that also they can't pull off something really dramatic and climatic since they also can't end the game at that point.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Bliblablubb Arcane

Bliblablubb
    Yeah that was actually a pretty neat addition. Sure, most of the time they just repeat the usual one-liners over and over but occasionally some little things shine trough. Like Pipes telling you "I'll be right back", spoonfeeding some poor villager her "truth", so he will never again sleep with both eyes closed.
    Or super optimistic yet naive Curie asking every scientist or doctor where they studied or if they want to compare notes to help people. Only to be let down every time. Poor uuh girl...
    There also seems to be one unique line for every location you visit, plus comments in dialogs (they took notes from FNV it seems).
    Cait being able to lockpick for you and NotGarret hacking terminals is a nice touch, but perks are so overabundant that you don't really need it.
    But it definitely adds a little bit of replay value.

Except Strong. Strong can rot whereever I dumped him. Unless you kill people and eat them he dislikes everything. I swear he even dislikes me breathing...

I other news:
    When I first read the map could be traversed in less than 10 mins I was a little disappointed. But to be honest, the map is so densely packed you don't really notice it. In Skyrim you would spend 5-10 mins just hiking, admiring the scenery and pass by random cave #23. The urge to explore them went towards zero after a few of them, even dragur ruins were always the same stuff.
    In FO4 you stumble over so many unique looking locations that I actually fear I break sequence by entering them, since so much effort must be tied to some quest I don't yet have. Quality over quantity. Well, for Beth standards at least.

Funfact: The BoS is now hiring Vertibird pilots! No experience or working eyesight required! Ask for payment up front, since chances that you make it back from your first run are zero.

Seriously, if Beth doesn't make pilots invulnerable unless shot by the player I need a mod for that. If those blind bats don't crash into each other they always get shot out by some random raider. I have seen already 5 birds crashing in 1 hours, considering that the blimp arrived with... 4 (or 8 if they use they use 1 docking station for 2 birds), there must be some secret vertibird plant somewhere I haven't found yet...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Reinar Learned

Reinar
    Heavily locked checkpoint full of ammunition. Oh man, I so want the riches inside, but I don't have high enough lockpick. All I can do is stare through the open window. :negative:
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  13. baturinsky Arcane

baturinsky
    Cait can pick locks for you.

^ Top  
  14. MWaser Learned

MWaser
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  15. veevoir Klytus, I'm bored Patron

veevoir
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    This diagram is confusing. Cait really can pick locks for you.

Show Spoiler
    :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  16. Bradylama Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Bradylama
    Wow, the only Intelligence check in the entire fucking game. Int totally isn't a dump stat guize.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. Utgard-Loki Arcane

Utgard-Loki
    I HAVE URGENT NEWS

IF THE DOG HAS A TEDDY BEAR IN HIs INVENTORY HE PLAYS WITH IT GOTY GOTY BEST GAME BEST GAME

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    He can also get you the cryogun from the Vault 111 through the locked container :D

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. Orma Arcane Patron

Orma
    Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Only 'useful' attributes are STR END and AGI. Others literally do nothing but enabling perks

^ Top  
  20. veevoir Klytus, I'm bored Patron

veevoir
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    I guess he also has the best written dialogue in this game. I'm pretty sure of it.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  21. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    He plays with it even he doesn't have it...

^ Top  
  22. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  23. baturinsky Arcane

baturinsky
    They are both from one place. There is a series of different difficulty checks there.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    It was a common fan request. Same happened to Dragon Age, people would praise the story but say that "it's so strange to play as a mute".

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)