Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Fuck this last one specially. Fallout has "very little lore", my ass. It has lore, it's just Bethesda has been butchering it since Fallout 3 with their bullshit inconsistencies and outright continuity breaks, to fit their bullshit narrative.

And these idiots don't seem to think the fact there wasn't any reported activity from the Brotherhood of Steel, it means they weren't doing anything. Operations on this scale would have records, specially mentions of a satellite. The satellite is probably the worst one because of all the times BoS was without communications. What, did the satellite also stopped working?

Eh this is one of those people who came into the franchise with Fallout 3 or 4 and considers Fallout 1 and 2 antiquated relics that should not give much attention to, most of the knowledge he or she go from the first two games is from the Wiki. I also think this is probably one of these people that Bethesda can do no wrong and that any lore changes (or gameplay) is only beneficial to the franchise.

One of the gamers Bethesda had to modify the franchise to in order to for it to be appealing to them because anything pre 2005 is old and belongs in a museum.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
GcGOc3Q.png

ruined with the filter
hope is dead
as is Fallout

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Let's hear the truth!
It won't be available on Steam because they're afraid of bad Steam reviews which will impact their sales.

It wont come to Steam because Steam takes a big chunk of sales and because their massive fanbase will buy it no matter where they put it or what kind of reviews game gets.

DeepOcean

Arcane
When NuBethesda under Todd reign will develop their own personality? So far, they are just living of the work of better people from Julian Lefay to Tim Cain, decades stealing their work, it is kind of sad to watch. I actually pity Todd, I know the guy must be really rich but it must be sad to look in the mirror and to know you are such creatively bankrupt designer and such a hack, a successful hack, but money isn't everything and you can't fool your own conscience with lavish undeserved praise.

The scorched on Fallout 76 and the Institute on Fallout 4 are what happen when Bethesda tries to make new factions, really sad to see.

It is really funny those people shilling for Bethesda, defending Bethesda retconning. They are being duped by little Todd and they don't even know it.

"Oh this isn't important..." or "Because there is no lore about BoS being out of California, it doesn't mean they weren't." ... such bullshit.

Guess what, John Gonzalez, Avellone and Sawyer took lore seriously and resuscitated the old Van Buren design docs and, guess what, created the most interesting conflicts between factions on the Fallout lore since Fallout 1 and 2 that is actually extremely thematic for the Fallout universe , this is what happens when you take lore seriously and actually dedicate yourself to add some artistic merit to your work.

What Todd did all this time with the Fallout lore? Fucking nothing, just living of other people work.

Those people are just excusing Todd into his pattern of resurrecting ghosts to see if he can squeeze some last milk from them, he is that desperate. Just raping a corpse to see if he can bring it back to life one last time.

Well, at least worked for Todd, he is filthy rich, that is the only thing people like him seems to care anyway. Bethesda is the prime example of why I'm against intellectual property.

Oracsbox

When NuBethesda under Todd reign will develop their own personality? So far, they are just living of the work of better people from Julian Lefay to Tim Cain, decades stealing their work, it is kind of sad to watch. I actually pity Todd, I know the guy must be really rich but it must be sad to look in the mirror and to know you are such creatively bankrupt designer and such a hack, a successful hack, but money isn't everything and you can't fool your own conscience with lavish undeserved praise.

The scorched on Fallout 76 and the Institute on Fallout 4 are what happen when Bethesda tries to make new factions, really sad to see.

It is really funny those people shilling for Bethesda, defending Bethesda retconning. They are being duped by little Todd and they don't even know it.

"Oh this isn't important..." or "Because there is no lore about BoS being out of California, it doesn't mean they weren't." ... such bullshit.

Guess what, John Gonzalez, Avellone and Sawyer took lore seriously and resuscitated the old Van Buren design docs and, guess what, created the most interesting conflicts between factions on the Fallout lore since Fallout 1 and 2 that is actually extremely thematic for the Fallout universe , this is what happens when you take lore seriously and actually dedicate yourself to add some artistic merit to your work.

What Todd did all this time with the Fallout lore? Fucking nothing, just living of other people work.

Those people are just excusing Todd into his pattern of resurrecting ghosts to see if he can squeeze some last milk from them, he is that desperate. Just raping a corpse to see if he can bring it back to life one last time.

Well, at least worked for Todd, he is filthy rich, that is the only thing people like him seems to care anyway. Bethesda is the prime example of why I'm against intellectual property.

:bro: Wonderful post.Todd Howard really is a tedious little manlet with a successful company of surprisingly little talent.

Risewild

Arbiter
Fallout 3 is a mix of Fallout 1 / 2.
You forgot to add Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel to that list. Look at the BoS on Fallout 3 and then look at the BoS of that POS game... Rogue BoS chapter abandons their prime mission and instead helps wastelanders by hunting and killing the dangerous mutants.

Modron

Arcane
Let's hear the truth!
It won't be available on Steam because they're afraid of bad Steam reviews which will impact their sales.
It's not coming to steam because they are probably trying to build their own platform for sales like EA's Origin and are going to try to use a big draw item to bolster their user base. Going non-steam would lower sales far more than any negative reviews ever could but they are willing to take that hit now in an effort to reap a bigger portion of each and future sales.

:bro: Wonderful post.Todd Howard really is a tedious little manlet with a successful company of surprisingly little talent.

yet he's a millionaire and we're all just sad fat fucks. who's laughing now?

hexer

Let's hear the truth!

It wont come to Steam because Steam takes a big chunk of sales and because their massive fanbase will buy it no matter where they put it or what kind of reviews game gets.

Let's hear the truth!
It's not coming to steam because they are probably trying to build their own platform for sales like EA's Origin and are going to try to use a big draw item to bolster their user base. Going non-steam would lower sales far more than any negative reviews ever could but they are willing to take that hit now in an effort to reap a bigger portion of each and future sales.

Either way, money is their no. 1 priority.
"Better customer experience" is just PR bullshit.
Fallout franchise died with BIS & FNV, this is just necromantic prostitution we're witnessing

Astral Rag

Arcane

yet he's a millionaire and we're all just sad fat fucks. who's laughing now?

I'm not fat.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Plenty of people have shitty jobs and aren't bothered by it too much. Add milions of doru to that and you've got yourself one happy camper.

His height is probably a much bigger issue for him. Although who really knows.

So what do you do in this game? Manage a 2d base or somethin?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I actually pity Todd, I know the guy must be really rich but it must be sad to look in the mirror
You wish. The Toddler does the charisma pipboy animation every time he looks in the mirror. After piling up a massive inferiority complex from being a short redhead kid in the chess club (and probably spending a lot of time being dipped in a toilet bowl), he thinks he is the big celebrity now with all that show he gets.
The vidya games industry has always been desperately trying to be "accepted", competing with hollywood, being considered art and all that stuff. They are quick to create a new hero for that once in a while. But they also drop them like a hot potato when it's not vogue anymore.

I remember when they had piled on the womyn producer of Bioshock 1 (Tanya Raymonde or smth), journalists competing for who spent more time with her. Or the guy from Bioshock Infinishit. Where are they now? Yeah...
Bioware isn't exactly the name they were after SWTOR, ME3 or Andromederp either..

Give FO76 some time to fail plus some journalists who didn't get enough doritos, and Todd's question "who is laughing now" is back up for evaluation.

hexer

Hoho love how people are roasting Bethesda in the comments below the video

Yep cancelled pre order

bethseda will never upgrade their engine will they? Animations are stock 2006 jesus christ

Looks awfully boring =/ Go to location, clear out enemies, loot... Go to location, clear out enemies, loot... Go to location, clear out enemies, loot..

This looks like a 20$ DLC

I'm almost done watching this video and I'm just going to be completely honest. I don't understand what this game is. I've played thousands of hours of Bethesda games. Played the original fallouts. Played thousands of hours of MMO's. Have ~1000 hours in Rust. I don't know what I'm even supposed to take away here. The PVP looked silly at best. Grinding scrap for your campsite is neat I guess but not really. What are you supposed to be doing for 50, or 200 or 500 hours? Is it just endlessly investigating still life and abandoned buildings? Voices on tape recorders that you have zero hope of tracking down? That's a neat aspect of Fallout 3/NV/4 but it only accounts for a fraction of those games. I guess I figured there would be more going on in the world or that the PVP would be serious. Neither of those things seemed true. I know this is really negative and that sucks. I just honestly don't get it. It's like a theme park or something. I don't think I'm going to buy a 60 dollar admission ticket to a theme park. Obviously these are just snap judgments and I could be wrong but I'm really disappointed so far.

So it's basically a multiplayer add-on for Fallout 4...
No story or interesting characters, so you're left with Fallout's dated combat mechanics. Who thought this was a good idea?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Reading the bug reports about the "stress test" is very entertaining. 90% of the bugs can be summed up with: "That's what you get when you recycle most of Fallout 4: you also get all the bugs you never bothered to fix."

Highlights include:

- NPCs falling from the sky/stuff falling through the ground (classic gamebryo creashun "feature")
- loosing stash when moving CAMP
- being able to sprint without using APs when holding CAMP (they just used the build mode from FO4, except FO76 does not limit your operational area)
- being shot by invisible enemies (my favorite, another FO4 acquaintance. It's the result of the extremly low draw distance Beth set for NPCs in the console version. They are not rendered, but still spawned and acting)

Still waiting for the "unkillable enemies with unlimited health regen" bug. A crowd pleaser in FO4.

They still have one month to fix it amirite? :hahano:

Oracsbox

"yet he's a millionaire and we're all just sad fat fucks. who's laughing now?"

Me
I've watched Toddy boy enough to see the emptiness in his soul.
Those smirk moments he has when people cheer him or he thinks he's said something witty and then the realisation he's a dwarf with zero creativity and his eyes go blank and the crushing realisation hits him again that his empire is built on other people's talent and its all slowly going down the toilet.
Also like Astral Rag I'm not fat or sad in fact I'm feeling quite ebullient.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I'm almost done watching this video and I'm just going to be completely honest. I don't understand what this game is. I've played thousands of hours of Bethesda games. Played the original fallouts. Played thousands of hours of MMO's. Have ~1000 hours in Rust. I don't know what I'm even supposed to take away here. The PVP looked silly at best. Grinding scrap for your campsite is neat I guess but not really. What are you supposed to be doing for 50, or 200 or 500 hours? Is it just endlessly investigating still life and abandoned buildings? Voices on tape recorders that you have zero hope of tracking down? That's a neat aspect of Fallout 3/NV/4 but it only accounts for a fraction of those games. I guess I figured there would be more going on in the world or that the PVP would be serious. Neither of those things seemed true. I know this is really negative and that sucks. I just honestly don't get it. It's like a theme park or something. I don't think I'm going to buy a 60 dollar admission ticket to a theme park. Obviously these are just snap judgments and I could be wrong but I'm really disappointed so far.

I've played thousands of hours of Bethesda games.
Played thousands of hours of MMO's.
Have ~1000 hours in Rust.

:kingcomrade:

Seethe

Arbiter
It's pretty unbelievable how low has Fallout sunk into normie culture. It somehow became one of those mediums that are now a target for normie "nerds" who drink out Star Wars mugs, have Marvel magnets on the fridge, and now place a Valut Boy bobblehead next to the yellow Minion figurine, and other silly merchandise and clutter. When/how/why did this happen, how did it become so popular while also becoming so shallow? Do we have a psychologist around here?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom