Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Codex Year of the Donut

Mud'

Scholar
Are people playing this unironically? Did the new expansion really fix a lot?

It gives the player just enough motivation to play and do something in the world and their world is pretty good actually, the main problem for FO76 (aside from the bugs and technical issues) was that the content, while some of it was fun, felt directionless.

With human NPCs and a more solid grip on the narrative, the game finally feels good to play, if a player comes from playing Fallout 4, FO76 feels way better with its dialogue and choices, its does not reach New Vegas standards but it tries to and i place it well above FO3 and FO4.

I wish that NoClip will some day do a documentary to show the work behind the scenes of Wastelanders, because the amount of work they had to do to try to fix this shit i guess is pretty huge.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
. Everyone is there for the extra legendaries to scrip after all.
I have so many crap legendaries that I have alts with crap legendaries just to get scrip
You need 2 modules to craft a legendary, thats 100 scrip per attempt. Since 3* is not guaranteed, you are looking at 60-95 loss for each nocturnal crap you make. The 150 scrip limit per day does the rest. :argh:
'dexi has 3 semi good gauss miniguns I cannot give to others without exploits. Only scripfood. Sad.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Oh and I tested the steel situation yesterday, FOR SCIENCE!
Got 600+ from a quick visit to West-Tek, plus lead. Ended up with almost 1000 2mm EC from it, so its still a decent source.
WT, because Soopamootants often use assault rifles, which give 19 or so steel with scrapper.
Do huntersville as well when you are in the area, and the steak house for good measure.
Only problem is hauling it back.:hahano:

WT has a tinkerbench tho.

ADL

Prophet
The content and build variety is far superior to either Fallout 3 or 4 but the gameplay is janky and not in a good or fun way, the guns feel like peashooters, the tech is dated about 15 years and the performance is terrible. If it were a little more competent in those respects 76 could've been one of my favorite games because I love wandering around and completing public events in a comfy map like Appalachia.

If they ever do a TES:76 I would be very interested but they really need to drop that shitty engine that's holding everything back.

Codex Year of the Donut
The content and build variety is far superior to either Fallout 3 or 4 but the gameplay is janky and not in a good or fun way, the guns feel like peashooters, the tech is dated about 15 years and the performance is terrible. If it were a little more competent in those respects 76 could've been one of my favorite games because I love wandering around and completing public events in a comfy map like Appalachia.

If they ever do a TES:76 I would be very interested but they really need to drop that shitty engine that's holding everything back.
Outside of a couple areas the game runs good for me and I'm not even on windows.

Codex Year of the Donut
As F76 is free for the weekend and I am at a loose end I figured I would give this a go. Any tips for starting out rusty_shackleford ??
I usually play a sneaky/sniper type.
Thanks.
Only have a few tips I can think of:
Go into gameplay and turn pacifist mode ON. You may need to do it again after hitting level 5(?) if you did it before that.
Go into visuals and turn Power Armor HUD OFF. It sucks.
The first time you open up your Pipboy, either right click or hit V to switch to the 'alternate' UI. It's a lot better because there is no time spent waiting for animations.
Food and drink buffs of separate types stack.
Being well fed/well hydrated provide good bonuses, keep an eye on your hunger/thirst.
Sleeping in a bed for a while provides a temporary XP bonus, and playing an instrument for a while provides a temporary action point regeneration bonus.
You don't have to pick a perk of the same SPECIAL you increased. It just defaults to the perk screen of that SPECIAL score.

The game will hold your hand pretty well at the lower levels and explain most of the important things as you progress through the quests. There's two separate main quest lines that converge at some point then diverge again.

ADL

Prophet
So, what are the top criteria to use when choosing a C.A.M.P. location?
Find an obscure spot with a node to put an extractor on it with a water supply nearby. You can never have too much purified water.

Outside of a couple areas the game runs good for me and I'm not even on windows.
This goes far beyond works on my machine. Visually they can't justify the awful performance and clearly their open world design is too ambitious for their tech. They need to scrap it and start over. Fast forward to No Man's Sky: Gamebryo edition being fucking terrible.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Choosing a non-popular spot so that you don't have to find a new server when someone else has your spot.
I am wasting 5 mins each time I log in switching servers, because some fukn youtube hipster must have told everyone: "OMG this spot is, liek, awsome, everybody must camp there!!!!!"
Go away you twats, this is my {{{{safe spez}}}}. I claimed that before you were even born. :argh:

That said, a place with a resource node (*cough* acid *cough*) is actually not as important as one my might think. You only get a meager 10 per hour or so out of it, and you have to empty it once it has 10 or nothing is produced. Not worth it IMO, I get my acid faster from cave crickets.
Access to fresh water is mandatory tho, nice extra income selling the purified water.

Gregz

Arcane
Choosing a non-popular spot so that you don't have to find a new server when someone else has your spot.
I am wasting 5 mins each time I log in switching servers, because some fukn youtube hipster must have told everyone: "OMG this spot is, liek, awsome, everybody must camp there!!!!!"
Go away you twats, this is my {{{{safe spez}}}}. I claimed that before you were even born. :argh:

That said, a place with a resource node (*cough* acid *cough*) is actually not as important as one my might think. You only get a meager 10 per hour or so out of it, and you have to empty it once it has 10 or nothing is produced. Not worth it IMO, I get my acid faster from cave crickets.
Access to fresh water is mandatory tho, nice extra income selling the purified water.

Right, so I just happen to be situated on *that* acid spot atm. My camp is very bare-bones just in case the location^3 becomes too troublesome. Every 4 server switches or so is triggering it (me).

I can't stand that cave cricket farm so...not sure what to do. I was using Hemlock Holes, but building on that spot over and over is a pain, and it nullifies the ability to switch servers when you're holding down a workshop.

Caps must be pretty scarce if selling water is still a source of profit at high levels.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Right, so I just happen to be situated on *that* acid spot atm.
It better not be the "flower" SE of Rose or I'll charge you for all the time you made me serverhop. :argh:
There are few other similar acid spots, 2 near the dawg and 1 south of the crooked bee.... but IIRC they have no lake. So you would need to build the other pump.

I would live near Lake Eloise, it's the bestestest spot ever for looks AND utility. But I don't like the neighbors.

Here's a handy map for you in case you want to GTFO of my place in the sun.
https://i.imgur.com/SCKegzb.jpg

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Double XP event, eh. Feels tempting to start a fresh char and stumble around like a noob again. Getting killed by a mudcrab. Having no ballistic fibre... ah yes, good times.

I almost dropped 120 ballistic fibre on 'dexi the other day. That stuff's heavy in mah stash. But... nostalgia prevented me from doing it. Gonna drop some for the next low level I meet. :obviously:

Also I did not go through 10k+ .50 cal ammo. It was taken from me by a vendorbug. Others had the same problem. Do we get it back? Lol no. Recompensation for all the lead and steel? Fuck no.
:gumpyhead:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So after all the shilling in this thread I thought the free weekend was a good opportunity to see if this was, actually, good. Steam says I've played 2 hours which I know is barely scratching the surface, but I have no desire to log in anymore. It's like the exact same game they've released how many times already? Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3/4 and now 76. It's the same thing every time. Press W, hoover up crap, shoot/ club some brainless mob that follows 1 of 2 scripts and move onto the next POI. How can people still find this engaging after almost 15 years of it? (Yes I know Bethesda didn't start with Oblivion but the games before that did have some elements of originality and spark of inspiration.) Quests may have some branching dialogue, but the terrible combat and moment-to-moment gameplay remain the same. The online element makes this the most 'theme park' like of all their games and this feeling you're moving from one ride to the next has never been stronger. It all just seems so... pointless. I think I'm finally reaching the point where I can say 'I'm too old for this shit.'

Maybe it grows on you like mould, but I'm so glad for the free weekend so I can safely ignore this thread.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Made it to 15, graphics are such downgrade from F4 ENBseries custom SSAO, IDK what they thought. It apparently has "enlighten" for GI, horribly enough it doesn't fit and you can't turn it off. Not one situation I thought desaturated textures and "greedy" AO would run circles around this. They do some reprojection tricks but cannot get perfomance back and next to ample geometry it sinks just like Boston. This engine never needed enlighten but world space shadow prerender tech.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Too late for me, but was intrigued and found you can turn off Enlighten thru cfg edit (I already had to do that to get 144hz display to run >36hz)
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/bu5xxh/pc_lighting_bugglitch_workaround_set/

Less glow, better shadows(easily 10* better thru https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzS0Zspn2Ig&feature=emb_title )
Probably results in better gameplay generally because devs play their own games less reluctantly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom