Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by frajaq, May 29, 2018.

1. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Disagree, it's just a result of attempting to turn a singleplayer game engine into a multiplayer one.
    None of this stuff matters in a singleplayer game, devs don't care about exploits as long as it's not something that directly impacts gameplay and extremely easy to trigger. There is nothing like input validation from the client in a singleplayer game, etc., The engine simply wasn't built nor continually developed for this purpose, the attack surface is massive. They could have some of the most skilled programmers in the industry and new exploits would regularly be found. Serious MMOs do have some of the best network/security programmers available, and exploits still are regularly found in them.

Essentially, FO76 would have been better as a non-persistent game with online capabilities.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. AW8 Arcane

AW8
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So I played this for a few more hours during the free weekend. When trying to give my character the biggest eyes Appalachia's ever seen (to match the nose and ears), the camera spazzed out and got locked behind my character.

The first thing in the game being bugged is not a good sign.

[​IMG]

However, I did notice much better performance than last summer. I no longer had any random one second freezes, and I was never disconnected either. I could even fast travel to a friend without it crashing. Major incline!!!!!

I didn't play much, but I did complete one of the early quests where you're tasked to stop a bandit group from harassing a bartender, and the quest is actually good. There were several optional tasks along the way, all of which involved attribute checks I couldn't pass because I put all my points in Endurance.

One of the optional tasks is to steal an egg from a Deathclaw, which is great design since you cannot hope to kill it at low level, but is forced to run to live and tell the tale (and return later to kill it when you're strong enough). I was presented with a diplomatic way to end the quest, but I just sneaked through the bandit camp and shot the gang leader full of holes instead.

If Bethesda had just shipped the game in this state, they would have avoided the vast majority of the controversies since their playerbase is OK with bugs (and doesn't really give a shit about physical items in a Collector's Edition they didn't buy anyway) as long as there are NPCs to interact with and choices, small or big, to make.

^ Top  
  3. Bliblablubb Arcane

Bliblablubb
    Database is database. Beth just generally is very sloppy at coding, forgetting basic checks all the time. And they don't care or are not given the time to do it. Plus they took over every fkn scripts from FO4 without even proofreading it apparently. The gutsies are still set to "ignore armor" instead of "armor piercing" because the FO4 monkey ticked the wrong box FFS. In an offline game, they just have modders to fix it for them.

Examples?
    In the Derpguard DLC for Skyrim, if you put a bottle of blood in your Serana's inventory, she would drink it, being classified as a health potion. That would then turn THE PLAYER into a vampire even if he was a furry, because Beth didn't bother to check "is the player drinking it", and "is the player a vampire already" before setting his hunger level to 1.
    Never gets fixed.
    In FO4 Yaoguai roast are supposed to give "+10 melee dmg". There isn't even a function in the script that could do it! So they set it +500% melee dmg instead. "It just works."

THAT'S how Beth rolls. The engine might be old and limited, but blaming human errors on it is uncalled for. :obviously:

That one is true. But why make only money once when you can get it every month?

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  4. Bliblablubb Arcane

Bliblablubb
    That is apparently a new bug for... a week or so. For no reason at all, there was nothing there needing fixing in the char gen.
    Leave it to Bethesda to bug out things that were runing flawlesly for a year. :hahano:

^ Top  
  5. Cirtdear Novice

Cirtdear
    After playing the game longer i'll say my proposal holds up in its diagnosis. The game leans heavily on combat & loot as a driving force.
    As a result this drives player's decision making rather than a strategy toward how you'd like to play.

In hindsight there were a couple weaknesses.

1) you must go to the areas you want to work with your strategy, or adapt your strategy.
    if your strategy involved dropping in at multiple areas in a sequence it may take too long to earn up the points.
    consequently would only be helpful toward very long term strategies.
    2) the proposed bonuses did not offset the intense need for loot.

To Solve #1)
    You can pay caps to collect points toward a bonus while not being there. However you can only do this for 1 area at a time and must remain online.
    The caps are slowly collected and if you run out of caps you'll stop earning points. While still a longterm deal, you can rely on earning a benefit from somewhere
    while not having to literally be there.

To Solve #2)
    Here are the new additional bonuses:
    -XP% Gain. (big boost for a short time)
    -Repair one item at or below your level to max. No material cost.
    -100 Caps.
    -Refill ammo type for the weapon your holding by 50.

A difference with these bonuses is only one of them should be available per location.
    XP% gain will be allowed to be carried outside the area you got it from.

^ Top  
  6. Myobi Learned

Myobi
    … or you know, Bugthesda could stop being greedy cunts and actually allow players to host real private servers, instead of this milk’me’daddy subscription-based instanced horseshit they came up with, that way, as usual, their own community could do their own fucking job and fix the fucking game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Cirtdear Novice

Cirtdear
    Bethesda games aren't built for modding they are built for mods. Modders have persevered before but it's time to let bethesda work for us for once. They just shat out Wastelanders for free.

If in 2 more months if they haven't fixed the bugs talked about, just give up. It would mean there is no division of labor they can form, and no pocket deep enough to properly fix this "passion project".

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Risewild Savant

Risewild
    Isn't it the case that Bethesda hasn't fixed some bugs reported since the game was publicly released? Also the case that they focused on releasing Atom shop stuff before they released some updates to fix serious bugs, and they actually delayed the Wastelanders while releasing the Fallout 1st service instead?

I still don't understand how people can trust Bethesda will prioritize fixing stuff over monetization.

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 12:03 PM
    ^ Top  
  9. Bliblablubb Arcane

Bliblablubb
    Bethesda's priority is always the cashshop, with hillarious moments.

Last year they placed ingame shop vendors at every trainstation, with large paper cutouts pointing towards it. And music playing. Dafuq? You can access it at any time from your map anyways, no need for an ingame version.
    My guess is some overpayed middle management had the awsome idea: "To increase sales all we have to do is increase awareness for the shop!" :hahano:
    You already get bombed by the shop everytime you log in, putting those there blurting in your ear was the proverbial drop too much.
    They quickly removed it again. Big surprise.
    :hearnoevil:

^ Top  
  10. Myobi Learned

Myobi
    It's actually even better than that, Fallout 76 has bugs that have been reported since previous Fallout titles.

"2 more months", roflmao.

^ Top  
  11. Cirtdear Novice

Cirtdear
    Myobi, Risewild

Don't buy atoms or sub to fallout 1st until you observe their next moves.

We're often told good and evil have to go together or it's too hard to tell a difference. I feel in this case the same is true of sanity/insanity.
    However there is not a single sane way to look at insane behavior. Sane is sane. The most sane way we have to look at this is something like game theory.
    On the other hand chaos theory suggests anything could happen. What I can do is make predictions and learn from them. If i'm going to test the odds that
    they will do the right thing, then given their history, it will be within a couple of months. Ofcourse a proper model of the situation is they will revert back to bad behavior no matter what.

edit:
    "It's actually even better than that, Fallout 76 has bugs that have been reported since previous Fallout titles."
    More compelling would be demonstrating the newly ignored bugs has everything to do with the patchwork job done for this game. I want to speculate but it goes back to the sane/insane thing.
    And by patchwork I do not mean subsequent patches I mean the way they glued together their multiplayer framework for release.

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 3:46 PM
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Myobi Learned

Myobi
    Thank fucking god for your brilliant advice, here I was just about to throw my credit card at the screen, god knows where I would be at this point if it wasn’t for you.

… but yes, their “next moves”, a true mystery!

Fucking hell that must be some dope ass fucking weed.

… feels like building a fancy new house on top of some shitty ass foundations, just to have it sinking little by little over the time, but instead of fixing that shit, you just keep fixing the cracks that will keep popping up on the new fancy walls every now and then because that’s just “more compelling”.

^ Top