Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Angthoron

Arcane
It's amazing how low-effort this game actually needed to be to succeed and yet they fucked even that up. Congrats, Bethesda!

Hellion

Arcane
Apparently they're giving all F76 owners the "Fallout classics" pack which contains Fallout 1-2-Tactics.

Bethesda

Happy Holidays!

ANYONE who logged into the full release of Fallout 76 in 2018 will receive an entitlement for Fallout Classic Collection on PC. This applies to Xbox One and PS4 players, too.

The entitlement is expected to go live in early January.

48421849_2126113287456183_7531270289347313664_o.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Nice passive aggressiveness on the part of Bethesda awkwardly fitting in the word 'entitlement' in that promo. Twice, even.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
"This isn't about the rum, this is all about getting the Fallout collector's item."

When will dumbfucks like this realize THEY are the reason the industry is terrible?

Freddie

Savant
"This isn't about the rum, this is all about getting the Fallout collector's item."

When will dumbfucks like this realize THEY are the reason the industry is terrible?
For those who didn't watch the video. Guy buys two 750 ml bottles of 35% proof dark rum for $ 79 each and and rants how they were not delivered in November like promised and missed also December shipping date and actually he haven't got them at all yet. And that bombshell like bottle model on product page turned not out to be just plastic casing around pretty regular glass bottle, worth perhaps 10 cents which he points out.

He explains a lot about how price doesn't matter and gives impression how he knows stuff but... the label of the Nuka Rum is pretty clear on one thing. It also says '...& caramel color'. It's not even dark rum. And guy doesn't get it. He is just upset about that he hasn't got his order yet and plastic casing. Yeah he was scammed, he just don't know how badly. It's all in his video but he doesn't appear to understand.

Game is shit, staff is shit, tie in products are shit, fans... perhaps not the brightest hopes for our future.

PorkBarrellGuy

The industry is, at the moment, banking on them never having that realization. They love to conspicuously consume to declare their fan-hood and establish their cred as Fallout fans or whatever, and I can't fathom the kind of idiocy needed to do that in this day and age. I can't fathom how much of an idiot one has to be to trust Bethesda at this point, either. That is some weapons-grade stupid.

While these fools deserve to be parted from their money, I don't think the rest of us deserve the inevitable decline they bring about in doing so.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It was really inevitable that Bethesda, or really Zenimax, would allow quality control to slip to the point where they're just shoving whatever shit they can out the door made as cheaply as possible for the maximum possible profit margin. The nu-Fallout/TES fanbase has been mindlessly slurping up this shit for over a decade now. They always grumble a bit at the money-grubbing practices, but then they turn around and spend enough money to justify to the executives to try something else. And it just got worse and worse and worse. Now here we are, and the fanbase, the community, the people who accepted all these anti-consumer practices, if reluctantly, are reaping what they have sewn. I can hardly blame Zenimax for taking advantage of the situation when people just keep handing them money.

Turjan

Arcane
It seems that there are some bannings going on:

The reason was using third party applications in game (probably mods from the Nexus or Cheatengine). The hilarious part is though the way the people who got banned can appeal: They are supposed to write an essay about "why using third party applications in a mulitplayer game is wrong".

This is so hilarious it sounds fake. There are at least three similar cases though, so let's see how this will develop.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/a8tz2e/i_am_reluctant_to_share_the_latest_bad_news_about/
I am reluctant to share the latest bad news about my experience
renderTimingPixel.png

So, if you've followed me at all in this community I've been incredibly active in a few ways.

• Helping people with game questions

• Adding Suggestions to the mix

• Sharing fun and unusual stories

• Separating criticism from blind hatred as best as possible while defending the game's future
Well, recently my 200+ hour character was deleted. I haven't really posted a lot since then, though I've thought about it back and forth. I have zero desire to spread negativity about the game as I've had a lot of great interactions with the community here.

Having said that, I realized that my reluctance to share this was very unhealthy. I don't know if I just didn't want to bring down the mood of people enjoying the game, or if I had some fear of being beaten to a pulp verbally for daring to say something negative about the game. Then I realized that hesitation was not what I wanted, as I value truth above all things - and its a hesitation I'd like to avoid feeling again.

Either way, I realize now that there really isn't a home for someone like me. -SOME- Youtubers clickbait, while -SOME- of the fans will ardently defend even the worst of situations and dump on anyone that runs into legitimate problems. And then there is me - right there in the middle and often hated by both sides of any argument. I don't even recognize the world I live in anymore. But I digress.

Anyways, to all of you still enjoying 76, I do hope that you continue to enjoy it. Don't let someone else's experience dictate how you feel about the game, but don't dismiss them outright as invalid out of some tribal tendency, either. Everyone deserves the most honest and good community we can create - warts and all.

I hope everyone here has a wonderful holiday and new year, and maybe in a few months time you'll see a low level slowly grinding their way back up to the top if the issues get worked out by then.

zapotec

Liturgist
Doesn't bethesda have a sort of character backup?
I remember the emulator that i used for my unofficial ultima online shard has a character recovery system :?

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Doesn't bethesda have a sort of character backup?
I remember the emulator that i used for my unofficial ultima online shard has a character recovery system :?
Pretty much any online RPG has an account rollback feature. Even barebones garbage like Guild Wars 2 have rollback tools.
Of course, Fallout 76 isn't any online rpg. It's a Bethesda game. Bethesda doesn't build features or fix bugs, they expect their customers to deal with it and be happy to have Todd's girthy, veiny dick pulsating in their mouth.

If you swallow enough, maybe we'll give ya some atoms.

I have zero desire to spread negativity about the game

Bethesda fans talk like beaten wives who still cling to their abusive boyfriend. "They completely screwed me, destroying hundreds of hours invested in a game, but it's alright, I don't want to be negative about it"

Please Todd, I need more penetrating. No I don't require vaseline.

ZeniBot

Cipher
Replace Gamebryo? err no we know for a fact that they're still using it. Todds entire success at Zenimax is due to him producing products as cheaply as possible (that and lying his ass off). If they have to reinvest in the product that runs contrary to why Todd even still has a job there.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Is this a survival game or does it have real rpg content (quests, npcs, shit to do besides grind and farm, craft shit)? Does it have a good, or any, chardev system?

Codex Year of the Donut
So according to this guy, Fallout 76 was a false flag by Todd, to convince his Zenimax overlords that Creation Engine isn't working 'anymore' and to get funds to replace gamebryo completely :lol:

I hate this non-programmer idea that game engines are like real life engines and eventually they just get too old.
The OS you're using has code in it that's decades old, does that mean your OS needs thrown out?

Risewild

Arbiter
I hate this non-programmer idea that game engines are like real life engines and eventually they just get too old.
The OS you're using has code in it that's decades old, does that mean your OS needs thrown out?
Game engines do get too old. That is why they have to release new versions of the engine every few years.

The thing is, Gamebryo is not Bethesda's engine, Bethesda bought the rights to use it, but they didn't make it. Since Bethesda didn't make the engine, they seem incapable of releasing proper new versions of it. Instead of having a new version, they change a bit here and there. It is not a new version, it is an "update".

It would be the same as trying to use Windows 95 still, even with all the service packs and updates, but it can't compare to any more recent Windows version. Because sooner or later you reach a limit, you can't update anymore, you have to shake the foundations and change too much that it requires a different version. Keeping updating it won't do anymore.

Creation Engine is an updated Gamebryo, but it is updated enough that Bethesda decided to give it a new name (also because like I said, they don't own Gamebryo). They updated quite a few things, but they still left too much of the old foundations. It's still plagued by engine bugs from Morrowind, the first Bethesda game using Gamebryo.
Creation Engine also has another disadvantage compared to other "modern" engines, it's losing it's "charm". It might look good, but it is too buggy internally, and players are getting tired of the same old bugs in every Bethesda game.

The only advantage of Creation Engine is how easy it is to use, and how easy it is for modders to work with it.
But Bethesda seems to be pushing that second advantage to it's limits. Since Fallout 4 already introduced a lot of restrictions for modders.
Luckily the team of F4SE are always hard at work to offer this amazing external tool to facilitate the modders job. Without it, most mods would be reskins or replacers.
Fallout 4 is the Bethesda game with more hardcoded stuff and modding limits since Bethesda started offering Construction Kits with Morrowind.

If Bethesda changed engines now, they would take two or three times more to make a game than they do, it would also cost several times more to make a game. It's not a sound investment in terms of profit. They confirmed that Starfield and the next Elder Scrolls are using Creation Engine. I don't know why the fans seems surprised that they would still use it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom