Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Norfleet

Since the dawn of MUDs, most players have generally viewed being PK'ed as an undesirable thing. If you put this in your game, realize that you are adding something that the majority of the general playerbase is going to consider to be a negative. Back when development was driven by visionaries, people who had a vision of how they wanted their world to work and were willing to put in things that weren't sunshine and puppies because it FIT, this was a thing that happened. But in today's profit-driven agenda, investing development effort into something that is going to be regarded as net negative value added doesn't really fit.

The only games successfully selling PvP are selling it as the core defining feature, and even then, it is always sold consequence-free. Getting murdered in a battle royale game or a World of Warmachines game doesn't really carry any real consequences. Selling actual PvP with a bite? Never been done successfully in the modern era. When was the last game to sell universal, non-optional PvP with any actual consequences? Eve? Even there, it's very peripheral.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yet people love pk shooters and fighting games like Streetfighter and mortal kombat. Don't these games have pvp only channels/servers? (Ie... its always pvp or even pvp PD-perm player death bye bye alt)?

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Survival sandboxes like Rust or ARK offer that content, but also send most MMO carebears into crying fits.

Norfleet

Yet people love pk shooters and fighting games like Streetfighter and mortal kombat.
These games don't have any consequences for death, though. If you die in Mortal Kombat, nothing happens, as you never really had any character data. And "2 players" isn't exactly an MMO by any stretch.

Latelistener

Arcane
When was the last game to sell universal, non-optional PvP with any actual consequences?
It doesn't look like PVP in this game has any actual consequences. Overall it's a PVE game for carebears. I can't imagine it having any kind of "full loot" mechanic.

Dayz was very popular at first though, despite the fact that you lose everything when you die. Rust followed that tradition as far as I know and it's still popular.

Norfleet

Are those MMOs, or more like small-server sandbox survival games? Do they actually have levels, or just stuff?

Latelistener

Arcane
Are those MMOs, or more like small-server sandbox survival games? Do they actually have levels, or just stuff?
Levels or stuff, it's called progression. When you die, you lose that progression so it's an unpleasant experience, but people are playing it nonetheless.

But those games targeted this specific crowd, while Fallout 76 was a PvE game from the start and it turns out that carebears aren't interested in PvP. What a surprise.

Now, if you're talking about a game, where, after years of playing and accumulating stuff you can just lose everything in a blink of an eye, then no one will play that shit, especially in this day and age. Not even the hardcore crowd. Either your progression must be fast enough to keep interest, or the "full loot" or "permadeath" mechanics must not allow players to lose everything.

Eve Online was probably the most successful game with "full loot", but no one there goes into PvP with anything they can't afford to lose.

Norfleet

Levels or stuff, it's called progression. When you die, you lose that progression so it's an unpleasant experience, but people are playing it nonetheless.
Level vs. stuff progression is actually very distinct. If you die and lose your LEVELS, they are GONE, and you ain't getting them back. If you die and lose your STUFF, the stuff still EXISTS, and you just have to kill that guy and get your stuff back. This is doubly true of "sandbox survival", where often, the stuff you carry on hand does not even necessarily represent the bulk of your high-value assets, and there is no character grinding, so if you get killed out in the wild and lose your equipment, you respawn with most of your assets intact. Also, these games are usually not MMOs, being much smaller in scope.

There is definitely a difference between losing all your stuff to someone that you know exists in the world and can be found again, and killed to retake your stuff, vs. losing your stuff to someone you will never see again and thus it's gone forever.

Latelistener

Arcane
Level vs. stuff progression is actually very distinct. If you die and lose your LEVELS, they are GONE, and you ain't getting them back. If you die and lose your STUFF, the stuff still EXISTS, and you just have to kill that guy and get your stuff back.
I'm not even sure it works that way. From what I remember from the mod, most important stuff in Dayz are consumables, like ammo, water or medical supplies. Weapons and armor can be damaged and become useless. It can be traded.

Also, acquiring stuff can be as tedious as leveling up a new character, if not worse. It depends entirely on a game. That's why I called it progression.

That said, I still don't think that Fallout 76 PvP is unpopular because people generally afraid of being killed in a game or see it as a bad thing. It's either they gathered a wrong crowd or it's just shit and unbalanced.

Drakron

Arcane
It's either they gathered a wrong crowd or it's just shit and unbalanced.
DBcUtoo.png

Norfleet

Pretty much. If there's nothing to lose by it, and similarly, nothing to GAIN by it (if you can GAIN something by killing someone, WITHOUT them losing anything, you get a circlejerk where people exploit the system by murdering each other in an environment that maximizes kill speed and output), then the only reason to PvP anyone is to annoy them.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
image.png
"My face is tired."

No wait, wrong developers.
Actually, not much difference between the two "B" anymore these days.

I fell of my chair laughing when the 400 pound dev said something like "Bethesda is best known for their dialogs"... Heh... But nobody was laughing, so I guess he was serious? Then I remembered that PC players are only annoying baggage for Bethesda, while the main audience are consoltards. What does Bethesda deliver Call of Duty does not have? Dialogs.
Best Beth'd dev evah.
:gumpyhead:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

New Fallout 76 gameplay was revealed during the Bethesda Game Days Wastelanders Preview panel. Here’s a look at just some of what you’ll see in Fallout 76: Wastelanders without panel commentary.

If you didn’t catch the Wastelanders Preview panel during Bethesda Game Days, you can view it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV9d5OS8IzM

In Fallout 76: Wastelanders, people are now coming back to West Virginia. Two vying factions are struggling to gain the upper hand as the secrets of West Virginia are revealed. The Settlers have come to find a new home, and the Raiders have come to exploit them. Embark on a new quest for the Overseer, forge alliances with competing factions, and uncover the truth of what's hidden in the mountains.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom