Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Well, this will likely be the last Fallout game for a long time since Beth's gonna have its hands full with Starfield and TESVI for the next >5 years.

I would even say there will be no other Fallout games after this.... this is a service, so they will be expanding this for years.

Starfield and TES VI will be the SP rpgs now, and Fallout an online game.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
An online fallout should let you build factions and go to war. You can’t really do that in a meaningful sense with 24 people.

That's your definition of online fallout, not mine

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Makabb That definitely won't happen in FO76
Yeah. With nothing else to do, they will beeline you and shoot you just to break the boredom. 30 minutes? You won't have peace for 5 seconds.

Only if they know where you are, but with such a big map you won't be easily found if they can't see you on map ( i doubt they will let other people see you on map)
The other players can track you in 76 so the lower number is no deterrent.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
lol,no one has played the game even yet, it's not released and you talk about those things like they are set in stone, Todd said they are constantly changing things now, again, I doubt that they will let other people see you on map.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Makabb That definitely won't happen in FO76
Yeah. With nothing else to do, they will beeline you and shoot you just to break the boredom. 30 minutes? You won't have peace for 5 seconds.

Only if they know where you are, but with such a big map you won't be easily found if they can't see you on map ( i doubt they will let other people see you on map)
The other players can track you in 76 so the lower number is no deterrent.

And this is an essential feature. Without it you will never see another human. Map is too big.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Map is too big!
Map is too small!
There are too many people!
There are not enough people!

Tell me the definition of insanity.

Quillon

Arcane
I doubt that they will let other people see you on map.

Unless if they add a harry potter magic map, man I cringed so hard when I heard/saw wherever it was that they were gonna add spells to Fallout 4 :P How dumb must they be? Fortunately their tech stopped them somehow and unfortunately game is shit anyway.

Cael

Arcane
lol, one has played the game even yet, it's not released and you talk about those things like they are set in stone, Todd said they are constantly changing things now, again, I doubt that they will let other people see you on map.
Yes, son. And New Zealand would win the World Cup this time round, eh?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Map is too big!
Map is too small!
There are too many people!
There are not enough people!

Tell me the definition of insanity.

...this is easy to wrap your head around. If it’s going to be multiplayer with no NPCs, it should have enough people to create drama and conflict organically. In a huge map, that means there should be a large number of players. Or, if they want to stick with 24 players, they could go with a smaller map.

The issue is the number of players per square mile. As it currently stands, that number seems way too low. I would prefer a singleplayer game but if they’re doing multiplayer they should do it right.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
lol, one has played the game even yet, it's not released and you talk about those things like they are set in stone, Todd said they are constantly changing things now, again, I doubt that they will let other people see you on map.
Yes, son. And New Zealand would win the World Cup this time round, eh?

There is a BETA for this purpose, the game will change before its even released.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
btw we don't know the exact player count yet.

Todd only said 'few dozen' which could be 24-99.

I'm thinking that it will be around 50 people on one server.

Black Angel

Arcane
thats one shitty argument.
Anyway, f4 actually had proper shooting mechanics/engine, no bullet bending and so on. It wasnt uniform that hitting head is best target for each creature. It still got some issues with you hitting an obstacle if you try to shoot from cover. Again, its less of an issue as your gun hole aligns better with vision but it is annoying. There are also enemies that teleport-throw grenades... but i still stand by calling this a proper shooter.
Except for the fact that Bethesda's had some help from id Software when developing Fallout 4's shooting mechanic. Unless id Soft are gonna return to help with 76, I don't see how Bethesda themselves are gonna be able to keep up these 'proper shooting mechanics' you're talking about. Add the issues with multiplayer balancing on top of that, and how they gonna deal with griefing problems yet at the same time, trying to keep all the 'drama' :lol: now you can LARP with other LARPERS

Also, holy shit Makabb channeling his inner
bethestard.png

Jarmaro

Liturgist
They said you blind fool. I don't remember, but it was around 24-32~

Edit:
24-32 players at once. It was a challenge deciding on how many players would be in the game, and how frequently they wanted players to bump into each other. They want meeting another player to feel special, so they didn't want it to be too frequent.

Aim1ess

Novice

Edit:
24-32 players at once. It was a challenge deciding on how many players would be in the game, and how frequently they wanted players to bump into each other. They want meeting another player to feel special, so they didn't want it to be too frequent.

The guy is just denying anything thats obvious and probably a negative. And if it's undoubtably confirmed then the answer will be "it will be fixed on release" - basically hands in ears "I can't hear you" style, he's in denial.

But based on his other posts the guy likes Rust, so I mean why bother even trying to engage with him? lol.

Rodcocker

Arbiter
So they are taking an engine that was built from the ground up to be totally open and moddable, with lots of people with experience of doing such modding, and think it is not going complete hack-fest after some modifications to enable online play?

So many online games have been wrecked by hackers because the patch the hack/symptom approach can never truly fix an underlying unsecure core. Really if they want an anti-hack online experience they needed to have built an engine from the ground-up with security baked into every single design decision. They might pull it off. But I'd be surprised.

Okagron

Prophet
Probably the same retard who's been the lead writer since fallout 3 (and who did the dark brohood questline in Oblivion), Emil Pagliuo-something
Yeah, he sure gonna write a lot when apparently the game barely has a story or none at all, all the quests are gonna be "kill this or get this" and all of the npcs are apparently robots, so no need to write any personalities for them.

Maybe it's a good thing that there's barely any need to write anything in the game, no need to endure trash Bethesda writing.

Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane
I doubt that they will let other people see you on map.

Unless if they add a harry potter magic map, man I cringed so hard when I heard/saw wherever it was that they were gonna add spells to Fallout 4 :P How dumb must they be? Fortunately their tech stopped them somehow and unfortunately game is shit anyway.
IIRC Todd said everyone will be always visible on the map.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Edit:

The guy is just denying anything thats obvious and probably a negative. And if it's undoubtably confirmed then the answer will be "it will be fixed on release" - basically hands in ears "I can't hear you" style, he's in denial.

But based on his other posts the guy likes Rust, so I mean why bother even trying to engage with him? lol.

Denial of what ? I said 24-99, so if its 32, then its in that range

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Didn't know that there are that many mmo fans here,this thread is unnaturally active.
Is it MMO tho? It sounds more like Dungeon crawler with open world. It's literally Hack&Slah from First Person. Only thing you will do in this game is Leveling, exploring and gathering better items.
Story will be practically non-existence, there's noone to talk to, there are only randomly generated quest.
Even Diablo 2 was more RPG than this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom