Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout and Windows 2000

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I'll be stuck on a Windows 2000 Pentium 300 laptop for a month and I thought it'd be a good chance of replaying Fallout again. But unfortunately the game tells me "This version of Windows is not supported".
Does anyone know if, and how, is it possible to play the game on that system? Thanks in advance.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Have you tried setting the compatibility? Right click the fallout executable and go under "compatibility" and you can configure it from there. Worked for me.

Elwro

Arcane
Naked_Lunch said:
Have you tried setting the compatibility? Right click the fallout executable and go under "compatibility" and you can configure it from there. Worked for me.
Heh, I'll try that. It's such a simple idea, but I have no experience with the system.:) Thanks!
Interestingly, Fallout 2 plays just fine with no tinkering.

Elwro

Arcane
Well, sth strange happened, but at least I'm now able to play the game.
At first I couldn't even install it. The system didn't display the compatibility options for setup.exe, and install.exe didn't work - it just started and abruptly CTDed after a few seconds. So I tried the DOS installer and to my surpirse everything went fine and the game even has sound.
This Windows 2000 thing is a strange system :D . I'm happy that I have XP on my own machine.

Atrokkus

Erudite
And I have some really weird shit with old programs. Like, even PieGates or Fallout... and it goes like "the Autoexec.NT is not suitable for executing MS-Dos and IWndos applications."
(compatibility options don't help)
I think it's because I have only SP1 installed... gotta get the SP2, maybe it'll fix things.

Anybody encountered that?

Elwro

Arcane
mEtaLL1x said:
And I have some really weird shit with old programs. Like, even PieGates or Fallout... and it goes like "the Autoexec.NT is not suitable for executing MS-Dos and IWndos applications."
Well, actually, that's precisely the kind of a message I expected to get when I tried to run the DOS installer for Fallout under Windows 2000. It's synonymous to "Holy shit, dude, DOS times are over1!!!" except for the IWindows part of which I haven't heard. You can't expect compatibility options to always work, too.

Elwro

Arcane
@mEtall1x: I use XP with Service Pack 1. Everything works fine.

@Dunduks: yes, I managed to run it. Thanks for the info, somehow my googling skills failed me. (but anyway, the DOS installer worked very well).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom