Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Modding Roundup !

European Commonwealth: Paris
Let's see how long frenchman Grayswandir develops this game untill he surrenders. Based on Fallout:Tactics. The game can best be described best as Fallout in France.

Fallout of Nevada
Doswidanja! Experience the live results when russkis try to create something Fallout-like. This can only result in awsujumune'ss, right?
Provided you can speak the russian language, a demo was already released!

What Remains
Based on the 'freshly' released FOnline engine or rather SDK.
Solar Surf the creator shamelessy is trying to copy a Fallout experience set in the "Big Lakes" region of the USA. He promises 3-4 locations with some smaller locations around. His ambitions are humble, thanks to Gareth for giving him useful advices to avoid repeating the same mistakes he did.

Red Dwarf Mod

Based on Fallout, the idea is simple. Instead of towns you can travel to different planets via the overland map. What horrendous aliens will await us there? No one knows but the logical assumption is the strange beings look like little red dwarfs hence the name

For screenshots, more info:
http://nma-fallout.com/

Fonline SDK
Maybe some of the Codexers here want to try to put a roleplaying game together? According to several gentlemen on NMA you can create singleplayer or multiplayer games(MMORPG) much easier than the original Fallout 2 modding tools. I'm suggesting technical savvy people should take a look:

Links:
License Agreement: http://fonline.ru/license.html
The SDK repository: http://svn2.xp-dev.com/svn/fonline_sdk

Unfortunately there is no .zip or .rar file, use this handy program instead:
Turtoise
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

:salute: Good luck

lisac2k

Liturgist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
SimpleComplexity said:
Fonline SDK
Maybe some of the Codexers here want to try to put a roleplaying game together? According to several gentlemen on NMA you can create singleplayer or multiplayer games(MMORPG) much easier than the original Fallout 2 modding tools.
The SDK is intended to be used for Fallout 1&2-like stand-alone singleplayer/multiplayer/MMO games. Custom cRPG would need access to the source code, which is currently restricted to the engine proprietor and the Rotators development group (aka Cvet & Rotators).

The source code itself is flexible enough to support custom hex-based RPGs, and I think there is support for square grids already implemented (or about to be implemented, not quite sure). One would just need to play with it for some time before getting everything under control.

If you're interested in more info, I'll be walking these planks around.

I just finished downloading the SDK myself, should be about 770 MB correct? Therefor i have no idea how much you can influence without the use of the source code if you want to spill some info about that you are welcome. And if there are any plans to release said source code in the future or if developers need access they have to contact cvet/rotators?

Edit: While i'm at it, this SDK supports 3D models too?

lisac2k

Liturgist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm not sure about the exact size, but 770 MB sounds OK to me.

The SDK allows you to create your own maps using the FOnline mapper, add custom scenery, even big single pieces, in different formats (old FRM or new PNG) and edit object properties (instead of using old proto file format, everything has been externalised now into new format, easy to read and edit). You want to set 10mm Pistol damage to 80-100? No problem, it takes 2 seconds.

Additionally, you can easy write and set up dialogs using the dialog tool that comes with the SDK and hook them up in the mapper to any NPC you want. Dialogue editor supports the basic stats and skills checks (which you shall probably use most of the time) plus some other nifty features. With just a bit of Angelscript knowledge you can make functions in your scripts which can be called from the dialogue files and do something "more", if you want.

One of the most important issues when it comes to gameplay are the global variables. SDK allows you to set up most of the gvars easily, thus shaping up the game the way you want. E.g. you can set up how many real-time seconds takes a day in your game etc.

Last, but not least, the 3D support. You can use 3ds and X format for characters and weapons, which allows more costumisation in terms of visual appearance. There is even the X-exporter plugin for 3dsmax 2010 and model viewer tool, so you can always check out the models the way they will show up in the game (camera angle, the size and other parameters in the tool are already preset). We prefer to use X over the old cranky 3ds, however Cvet recently implemented the support for the latter due to some community requests, I guess. The engine has been updated to support 2.5D, rather than pure 3D.

What you CAN'T do with the SDK:
- change the character creation process (which is same as the one used in Fallout 1/2)
- change the SPECIAL system, since the SDK relies upon it
- change the hex-based gameplay
- change the GUI (it is possible to change its appearance and offsets, but the functionality remains, which means e.g. the PIPBoy button will always call the PIPBoy window, the inventory button will always call the inventory etc.)

To put it lightly, the SDK is meant to be your way to easy create a Fallout-like game, based on the SPECIAL system.

The current features can be changed in the source code, since we already changed some of those to suit the MMO world of FOnline: 2238 (recent changes to radio GUI comes to my mind right now). The source code is closed for the public right now and, honestly, there is a slim chance that this will be changed any time soon. However, if there is a creative, organised team behind a cRPG project who wants to use the FOnline engine for their project, be it commercial or non-commercial, I could ask Cvet about the cooperation details.

I may have missed something, but, as always, just ask and I'll try to dig it up for you. The same goes for Fallout 2 modding in general. I wish this topic was started in the Workshop instead of here...

Thanks, very informative post you got it all covered.
From what i understand this seems to be the quickest and easiest way to create something Fallout-like even for people who aren't rocket scientists. You heard it Codexers, get off your lazy asses and start modding! (long silence) It's much easier to bitch about games then to develop them (not exluding myself). Best thing we can hope for is people download it, take a look at it and 5% actually do something with it.

Workshop good idea, seems more fitting. If any mod read this, please move it there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom