Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout: New Vegas - New California Total Conversion Mod

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/...nia-mod-set-to-release-on-october-23rd/60275/

FALLOUT: NEW CALIFORNIA MOD SET TO RELEASE ON OCTOBER 23RD
Posted on June 1, 2018, 9:05 pm By Ethan

(Last Updated On: June 1, 2018)
Looking for a good Fallout mod to dive into near the end of 2018? There’s good news for you in that the team behind Fallout: New California (a Fallout: New Vegas mod) will ship for public consumption come October 23rd. This PC mod for Fallout: New Vegas also has a planned beta for release this summer.

Bethesda Softworks and Obsidian Entertainment’s Fallout: New Vegas is two years out from turning 10, and while I’m sure you might like a new iteration or installment in the New Vegas setting to celebrate that, it looks like modders have you covered this year.

The latest mod prepping to debut during Q4 of this year comes Fallout: New California. The mod in question takes players to the 31st state of the U.S., in a post-apocalyptic setting, of course, Fallout-style.

If you’re looking for a reason to get back into Fallout: New Vegas, do know Fallout: California is a mod that spices up the west coast with all new things to discover, which you can look over right here via the “narrative trailer.”

The good news is that if you like the trailer and want to play Fallout: New California early, the devs are set to hold a beta sign-up trail during the month of July. As of course, you’ll be helping the team test the mod and squash bugs along the way, as noted below:

“We’ll be having BETA sign ups in July if anyone would like to come test the mod — the Main quest is now feature complete in the core narratives, and we have a cap over the parts that aren’t accessible (because there was no one available to code them. Mostly a two man operation here in New California’s CIC.)”

You can stay up to date on all things Fallout: New California by heading on over to the project’s Facebook or ModDB page.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I keep saying that mods should always just use that generated robot-voice from text-to-speech programs and be done with it. I'd rather listen to SAM or Glados than to some jerk with a $30 mic.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Posted about this in th New Vegas mod thread, but hopefully the mod is good enough to be deserving of this thread.

Lurker47

Savant
This is going to be a trainwreck, I bet. I doubt any rando mod writer will have enough nuance to make an almost completely unified area interesting. I don't even know what kind of quests could be made of it. Looking at the trailer, it just kind of seems to brush over what California is probably like by now and just shows some Fallout 4-ish vistas and RADIANT(!!!) combat.

Black Angel

Arcane
If only these modders would learn to utilize Fallout 1 and 2's engine.... maybe we can have a TC mod just like Fallout 1.5: Resurrection and Fallout of Nevada.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
my dude, creating 2d art assets (or just working with them) is like 250x harder than making stuff with polygons

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah better get some team of translators to make them available for wider audience.
Same issue with Stalker mods - beside one guy doing machine translation there is not a single one translator for this job.

Black Angel

Arcane
my dude, creating 2d art assets (or just working with them) is like 250x harder than making stuff with polygons
Sure, but I think it's not a matter of difficulty to work with the tools; it's a matter of loving the labor of producing something with them. Otherwise, stuff like Fallout 1.5 and Fallout of Nevada wouldn't get released, no?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
The developer recommends that you use these mods. But are there any others one should have? To make it a bit more Fallouty I mean.

You'll want an UI mod at least (Darn for instance, or Revelation or Vanilla UI Plus) - really you can use just about any NV mod, but unless you want to continue with that same character over on to New Vegas, there's no need to add quest mods for instance or anything that'd affect the Mojave worldspace. I personally wouldn't recommend Project Nevada since it's kinda old and crappy now and superceded by better, more recent mods; Solid Project for instance has a far better implementation of sprinting.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
My first impressions: this does seem to be good. I'm still inside the vault but have completed a couple of small quests so I have a vague impression of the quality of at least the first area. It's like what an Obsidian Fallout would be in an alternative universe where they hadn't already made NV.

To answer the concerns of the thread, the voice acting is pretty fucking good for a mod (perhaps better than some in the original game) and the lines themselves are pretty good too.

I have a bunch of mods I played through the main game with and they all work though occasionally my ENB goes a bit bananas. They recommend "Ruby ENB" and I can't remember what I have but it isn't that.

My top tip: disable the DLC item packs (eg "Caravan pack") and maybe get a the mod they recommend that delays DLC announces (see Feyd's post above).

Some screenshots:

mcYrCmk.png

JNsly6k.jpg

HcrucEt.jpg

IY4pIED.png

XIFbjKt.jpg

And my modlist as shown by FOMM:

sY2uJae.png

EDIT: Oh and one other helpful detail - FOMM crashed trying to import the mod as 7z files, probably because the first file is massive. You can just follow the alternate instructs to unzip the files straight into your game folder. That worked fine for me

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
how is all of this good stuff coming out at the same time? just trying to choose between this and Kingmaker is making me incredibly anxious. fuck!

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
My top tip: disable the DLC item packs (eg "Caravan pack") and maybe get a the mod they recommend that delays DLC announces (see Feyd's post above).

Those are already included in the main installation as additional .esp's, did you install manually?

how is all of this good stuff coming out at the same time? just trying to choose between this and Kingmaker is making me incredibly anxious. fuck!

It's still in beta, with some issues (like performance in certain areas) - if you've something else to play you can safely put this on hold for now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom