Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout: New Vegas - New California Total Conversion Mod

Ziggy

Scholar
xFRmUQGYj4A.jpg

Played for a few hours, seems rather good. There's some bugs but not to expect any from open beta of a massive mod for New Vegas would be silly. Unlike the original game, charisma is no longer a dump stat, and the thing itself is rather linear but with a lot of choices, going from event to event instead of wandering around. Way too many weapons in pristine condition laying around, that's the worst thing I could say about this at the moment.

edit: good production values, shows that it's been in the making for years. Most new assets are only grating a little bit just because I sank hundreds of hours into New Vegas and see something new all of the sudden. Except for a raider dressed up like a viking, that was a weird one.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I played this for a very brief time. Didn't make it past the big building posted in the screenshots earlier.

My impressions:
  1. Seven years in the making, and it shows.
  2. Fan-made, and it shows.
  3. To put it bluntly: "better than your usual voice acting" doesn't necessarily mean good. We can talk about New Vegas' voice acting all day long, but truth is I came across a grand total of seven NPCs from the beginning of the mod to the point I dropped it, and there were some pretty noticeable sound issues (like voices being considerably low), and some pretty bad voice acting overall (like the football bully you meet just before you leave the medical station).
  4. Modders tend to go overboard with assets, and here's no different. I moved my camera one way and my game started stuttering in a way it never did in vanilla New Vegas. This is without any mods at all.
  5. The writing is... ugh. All I ask is serviceable writing, not even "great" writing. Just stuff that doesn't make me cringe.
  6. The game leans too heavily on "you are a teenager" and it shows through the rather edgy lines you are given.
  7. The assets are all over the place. I think the Vault suits look fantastic, but one peek into that building I mentioned earlier and it seems pretty obvious they didn't gave it much thought besides a basic artstyle. It looked really odd, like those HD texture packs that are literally HD textures installed on top of the vanilla ones without any second thoughts.
  8. Some serious lighting issues. Depending on where I moved my camera, lights would pop in/out of existence. This was especially noticeable in the long tunnel leading out of the medical station.
You may ask "why such a short run? What do you gain out of it?". I just find it interesting to see how people always claim these mods to be excellent or very professional, when they are anything but that.

It was interesting to uninstall the mod, and take just five minutes to replay through New Vegas' introduction. Just to see what an actual, professionally done game introduction plays like. Short, to the point, polished, no unsolicited edgyness.

Feel free to try it out, though. Someone with a higher tolerance for sloppy fan-made mods may find something of interest there.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
I played this for a very brief time. Didn't make it past the big building posted in the screenshots earlier.

My impressions:
  1. Seven years in the making, and it shows.
  2. Fan-made, and it shows.
  3. To put it bluntly: "better than your usual voice acting" doesn't necessarily mean good. We can talk about New Vegas' voice acting all day long, but truth is I came across a grand total of seven NPCs from the beginning of the mod to the point I dropped it, and there were some pretty noticeable sound issues (like voices being considerably low), and some pretty bad voice acting overall (like the football bully you meet just before you leave the medical station).
  4. Modders tend to go overboard with assets, and here's no different. I moved my camera one way and my game started stuttering in a way it never did in vanilla New Vegas. This is without any mods at all.
  5. The writing is... ugh. All I ask is serviceable writing, not even "great" writing. Just stuff that doesn't make me cringe.
  6. The game leans too heavily on "you are a teenager" and it shows through the rather edgy lines you are given.
  7. The assets are all over the place. I think the Vault suits look fantastic, but one peek into that building I mentioned earlier and it seems pretty obvious they didn't gave it much thought besides a basic artstyle. It looked really odd, like those HD texture packs that are literally HD textures installed on top of the vanilla ones without any second thoughts.
  8. Some serious lighting issues. Depending on where I moved my camera, lights would pop in/out of existence. This was especially noticeable in the long tunnel leading out of the medical station.
You may ask "why such a short run? What do you gain out of it?". I just find it interesting to see how people always claim these mods to be excellent or very professional, when they are anything but that.

It was interesting to uninstall the mod, and take just five minutes to replay through New Vegas' introduction. Just to see what an actual, professionally done game introduction plays like.
Ouch. That bad, eh? I have similar problems with fan mods. I find them to be of terrible quality. I remember installing Falskaar and being shocked at how bad it was. I didn't even like Enderal that much, gave up after a while.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Ouch. That bad, eh? I have similar problems with fan mods. I find them to be of terrible quality. I remember installing Falskaar and being shocked at how bad it was. I didn't even like Enderal that much, gave up after a while.

I posted that in good faith, but it is worth repeating that I played VERY little of it. I just didn't like anything about it, other than the Vault suits I mentioned. I did think that the mod has an interesting re-imagining of Vaults.

There's this, also, which should give you a pretty good idea of what this mod basically is like:

1540306221317.jpg

Another thing I forgot to mention, and it deserves its own paragraph: look, we know Fallout is a roleplaying franchise, and that's cool and all. But you don't need a million of POINTLESS skill checks shoved down our face for us to remember that. Fallout and Fallout 2 weren't like that (for obvious reasons, they were invisible); New Vegas wasn't like that. Skill checks should be meaningful, not something you just shit into any dialogue for no real purpose. Like, a fucking skill check just to insult an NPC? Seriously?

Last edited:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This sounded similar to a mod I played long time ago called Project Brazil, and then I found out that this is finished and renamed version of that mod.

I played the early version few years ago and found it to be just terrible.

Here is a video of that build, can someone tell me how much better is the new version.

Sykar

Arcane
A mod for one of the worst engines ever made.

I cannot decide if Gamebryo or Unity is worse...
gamebryo
people who bash unity don't even understand what they're talking about

Maybe not the details and the underlying cause but for sure the effect, like GPU heating up like mad, load times, etc.
Of course it is hard to know whether these are all related to Unity or the developers not being able to properly optimize it.

Psquit

Arcane
I have soo many mods that tweak the difficulty. I don't really know (i get one shotted).

The assets are all over the place. I think the Vault suits look fantastic, but one peek into that building I mentioned earlier and it seems pretty obvious they didn't give it much thought besides a basic art style. It looked really odd, like those HD texture packs that are literally HD textures installed on top of the vanilla ones without any second thoughts.

This, the modders abused the prop placement, vegetation, etc. I think that simple is better when it comes to Gamebryo shit.
Also, it fucked my previous saves, welp.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok, this is great but I have two moderately distracting graphical bugs. Firstly, somtimes I see lighting from other parts of the level (I'm using Ruby ENB now). Secondly, sometimes Jamie Campbell's face goes a bit...concave...anyone got any ideas? I posted my modlist before. Really enjoying this apart from these two problems

Cromwell

Arcane
Ok, this is great but I have two moderately distracting graphical bugs. Firstly, somtimes I see lighting from other parts of the level (I'm using Ruby ENB now). Secondly, sometimes Jamie Campbell's face goes a bit...concave...anyone got any ideas? I posted my modlist before. Really enjoying this apart from these two problems

did you deactivate aa and anti filtering ingame when using enb?

DeepOcean

Arcane
I'm playing this and it is interesting for a mod, thinking of doing a Let's Play if things don't get too bad and this become unbearable.

So far, there are moments where my cringe alert gone 9000 points on full red alert, the whole intro sequence with the football stuff and the coach speech were fucking cringe of the highest order but things arent so hopeless, after that cringe fest, the mod has even some smart moments.

To place things into perspective, we live on a world where a "AAA" company makes a quest where a ghoul lived 200 years inside of a closed fridge and this same company won awards for best gaming writing, despite the cringe level getting high sometimes, at the worst moments, the writing still didn't reach the "[Intelligence] Did you seen my father, he is a middle aged guy." epic moment or Little Lamplight Majestic Epicness yet. Yes, writing from modders isn't as bad as Bethesda writing, that is for sure.

They even did some "clever" things with the lore, well... so far, they are more respectful towards the lore than little Todd Hack Howard could be, I say "clever" because they made the mistake of taking Fallout 2 lore too seriously and oh boy... I hope I'd ever got to hear about New Reno, the Hubologists or Vault Tech experiments again...

They seem to have gone very detailed on stat checks, inside the vault, you get more stat checks than probably half of New Vegas and there seems to be some choices available right on the starting vault, heard about some self destruct button that I totally plan to use when I get to it, for example. On a single dialog, I got two perception checks and 2 charisma checks.

Well... I have some reservations about the visual tastes of the modders, some areas look rough on the "What is lighting? What is it for?" kind of way, while other areas look indeed cool. The character models and the voice acting are... let's say... modder standard quality, some voices are acceptable (As if Bethesda voice acting was anything remarkable) while dreadful at moments, try not to cringe when you see some purple hair bimbos on sexy attire as NPCs, this mod is the result of the Bethesda modding community after all, so don't be surprised by this.

Some light spoilers with highlights from the first hour of the mod about some stuff I think they used the lore on clever ways so far:
Vault 18 was some sort of control vault but instead of following Vault Tech orders, the Vault Tech representatives were murdered and the people on the vault deactivated the experiment that was supposedly to take place.
The vault is actually an open vault instead of a closed one, once the vault opened, there was a split and two factions wanted two different things, the younger generation just left the vault in time and only the older people remaining in with the average age of the vault getting higher and higher, they started accepting people from outside.
The NCR offered them a deal to be integrated on the NCR that they refused, then NCR started strong arming them.
There was a war between the NCR and the Brotherhood, probably because the Brotherhood was being strong armed by the NCR too, and on the middle of this, Vault City is only rubble now.
NCR after defeating the Brotherhood and the Enclave, pushed all the raider groups out, those groups united and formed some survivalist independent group that still practices slavery and is one of the factions of the game.
New Reno is now controlled by the Bishop family and is on the sight of NCR for annexation.
The Enclave is on the shadows and still putting out a fight, as it didn't just magically disappear after the tanker being destroyed.
The Hubologists now work like the financial sector being the bankers on New California.

Black Angel

Arcane
Vault 18 was some sort of control vault but instead of following Vault Tech orders, the Vault Tech representatives were murdered and the people on the vault deactivated the experiment that was supposedly to take place.
The vault is actually an open vault instead of a closed one, once the vault opened, there was a split and two factions wanted two different things, the younger generation just left the vault in time and only the older people remaining in with the average age of the vault getting higher and higher, they started accepting people from outside.
The NCR offered them a deal to be integrated on the NCR that they refused, then NCR started strong arming them.
There was a war between the NCR and the Brotherhood, probably because the Brotherhood was being strong armed by the NCR too, and on the middle of this, Vault City is only rubble now.
NCR after defeating the Brotherhood and the Enclave, pushed all the raider groups out, those groups united and formed some survivalist independent group that still practices slavery and is one of the factions of the game.
New Reno is now controlled by the Bishop family and is on the sight of NCR for annexation.
The Enclave is on the shadows and still putting out a fight, as it didn't just magically disappear after the tanker being destroyed.
The Hubologists now work like the financial sector being the bankers on New California.
:deathclaw:

These aren't even bare minimum-tier acceptable. Or perhaps I've been spoiled by Fallout 1.5 and Nevada....

DeepOcean

Arcane
:deathclaw:

These aren't even bare minimum-tier acceptable. Or perhaps I've been spoiled by Fallout 1.5 and Nevada....
I didnt play enough to make a definitive judgement about this, could be more later, dont know yet.

They could make cool use of lore or go completely on Bethesda retardation, dunno yet, I will see.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

did you deactivate aa and anti filtering ingame when using enb?

Thanks for the tip. No faces inside out in the last two hours. Still enjoying it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom