Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Fallout: New Vegas Review Linkathon

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well looks like Hardcore mode is a failure -- give it a year and there will be some mods to make it tolerable.

random_encounter

Educated
Fuck, can Obsidian release anything that doesn't have some kind of technical shit smeared all over its code? While I'm at it, fuck Steam as well in their cloudhole. Now excuse me while I repeat several hours worth of work thanks to the Quicksave bug.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
NEWSFLASH: Obsidian is better off making games absed off of others name so they cna make money because their own name doesn't sell shit. R00fles!

P.S. Hope you biatches enjoy another Bethesda turd as I'll be waiting for DS2.

random_encounter

Educated
racofer said:
random_encounter said:
Now excuse me while I repeat several hours worth of work thanks to the Quicksave bug.

So.... that's what passes as "work" these days.
Thanks to Obsidian's technical wizardry, yes, the game quickly becomes a job interview quizzing PC players in fixing their problems. You win a cookie for comprehension.

The good news is that the saves make backups of themselves, appending .bak to the file type (quicksave.fos.bak). Should have noticed this earlier, but here are the steps to fix this if you run into it:

1) If you start the game up and look at your list of saves and see that they're not the fucking saves you made just an hour or so ago when you Quicksaved and left the game for a piss, exit the game. Now.

2) Go to the directory where the saves are. Under XP, that's usually:

C:\Documents and Settings\RPGCodex\My Documents\My Games\FalloutNV\Saves

3) You'll notice that for whatever reason, the game updated the quicksave and autosave .fos files by the date. But it usually leaves the .baks alone until you go so far into the game and try to save again.

4)
Copy the .bak files out someplace like your desktop or your anus. You decide. Keep the folder open.

5) Remove the .bak from the file name so that only .fos is left

6) Start the game up. When it gets to the menu with the Load option, Alt+tab out, copy and paste the 'good' saves over (the ones you renamed without .bak), replacing the ones in the directory from Step 2, and then hit the Load button. You should now see the saves you wanted.

Oh, and -

falloutnvtabitha.jpg

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The reviews actually give me a glimmer of hope that the game might be playable. After a few patches, that is. I'm looking forward to a proper review, though. A codex one, or maybe one written by VD?

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's sad that you have to be doing tweaks and editting files and what not, this should not be the case with development budgets that are common for "AAA" titles.

I understand that games a decade or two ago did not have the same testing prodecures that should be common these days, but even now if a player gets the thought of "did they even play their own game?" that is a sad state of affairs, gentlemen.

Reminds me of cheating in Nethack by backing up your save game manually. Incidentally, Nethack is probably more fun. Either way, I should get a free copy for the lulz after a patch or two come out.

Topher

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
Petey was a response to that. And a wrong one. Tabitha is Sawyer's shit.

You've got a real gear to grind against Sawyer.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I've only seen one bug so far. It was an engine bug. Enemies shooting at me from inside the ground with only their torso above ground at their most exposed moments. That isn't really Obsidian's fault.

As far as the game goes. In the initial quests in Goodsprings there are a lot of skill check dialogue options. If your skill isn't high enough: oh well, make due. It is spelled out for you pretty simply, though.

"20/25 Speech: Will you help me, pls?"

You can obviously see that you need 5 more speech points to succeed. Dumbed down for the console kids. It's better than nothing, though.

I love the music.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"P.S. Hope you biatches enjoy another Bethesda turd as I'll be waiting for DS2."

That happened five years ago. Where have you been? Do I even want to know?

MicoSelva said:
I'm looking forward to a proper review, though. A codex one, or maybe one written by VD?
NMA frontpage confirmed a VD review in a few weeks.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jaesun said:
Escapist (4/5)

It's disappointing to see such an otherwise brilliant and polished game suffer from years-old bugs, and unfortunately our review score for the game has to reflect that. Reviewing 2008's Fallout, I felt inclined to give a certain amount of visual glitchiness a pass because that game covered so much ground, from a development point of view, and was simply awe-inspiring in many respects. Seeing the exact same bugs in a new game, two years later, is harder to excuse. Truth be told, I enjoyed New Vegas a lot more than Fallout 3, but I can't give it a full score on the basis of the bugs alone.

So Obsidian was contracted by Bethesda to fix all of Bethesda's remaining bugs AND make a new game? What a complete fucking idiot.

You're the fucking idiot. They were contracted to make a new game. Bug fixing comes with the package.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sceptic said:
I don't get it. Both games had the same engine-inherited bugs, NV is a better game, but it gets a lower score? :?

If you don't get it, take the codex cock out of your mouth and look at it again, they explain why it gets a lower score: there's no excuse for letting bugs they know about slide. Nevermind that I haven't had a single save game glitch with any of bethesda's games, that was Obsidian's own doing.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Played it for a few hours. Engine is still rather crummy and there are plenty of bugs to go around. It however does have that certain "fallout" vibe to it. The NMA review seems to be pretty spot on. I'm buying this puppy.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why are you a dumbfuck, Trash? You used to be pretty cool, except maybe in 2002. And still seem to be. What did I miss?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Jasede said:
Why are you a dumbfuck, Trash? You used to be pretty cool, except maybe in 2002. And still seem to be. What did I miss?

I wanted to visit Sheek for steak, a few beers and some quality sodomy. DU was a spoilsport. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom