Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout: New Vegas : Robot Copulation Confirmed

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jim Cojones said:
In Fallout 3:

• - you can only see 4 lines of PC responses in dialogues which mean a lot of unnecessary scrolling,

- hotkeys are completely unintuitive. Average RPG player would assume that pressing I takes you to the inventory screen while C - to character screen. [...]

I'd put it that way:
Information and stats were presented better in F1+2, interaction and player control was better in F3.

Oh, while we're at it.. are there any screens of the inventory in New Vegas?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Jim Cojones said:
you can only see 4 lines of PC responses in dialogues which mean a lot of unnecessary scrolling,

You were saying...

screenshot3w.jpg

Delirius said:
This gave me a huge fucking boner.

Well, considering all of these were in the previous games (except sex with robots and collar bombs - there was sex with a supermutant, though), it can be said you're a true Fallout fan!

Jim Cojones said:
- there's no option to push a character that is blocking your way.

No need to since you can just run into them.

Dormir Con Las Aranãs said:
Fallout 3's console-to-PC interface is easily worse

On a console it works perfectly, though. So it's a case of disgusting laziness, rather than complete incompetence.

Cassidy

Arcane
The only glaring error of Fallout's interface to me was the way new items were put in the bottom of the inventory instead of the top. It may sound insignificant, but it was the only UI mistake that could lead to some nuisance, and Fallout 2 fixed it.

When I was 14 and played Fallout 2 for the first time, I never found any problems with its interface and considered it quite clean as well, specially thanks to the hotkeys and lack of clumsy radial menus. Guess some people are just too used with consoles or too plain dumb.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
clumsy radial menus.

Those are some of the worst things that happened to UIs.

Why have a normal drop-down menu when you can have a stupid radial one that forces you to move the mouse in all possible directions until you get to what you want?

Horrible, horrible things.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
FeelTheRads said:
that forces you to move the mouse in all possible directions until you get to what you want?

Yeah for the few minutes that it takes to memorize the menu? Radial menus aren't ideal but they're not completely terrible either.

deuxhero

Arcane
ToEE's menus weren't bad at all.

Fallout's lack of definable controls (I either have to enter a bulky menu or reach around my keyboard to pick a lock ughh), and 640x480 resolution designed interface (yes, there are high-res mods but they don't change the interface to make use of my 1280 by 1204 and say, show both equiped items at the same time) and pixil hunt elements to find something I can interact with (Arcanum made the doors easy to see with its coloroing, fallout's brown is hard to find that door in) is the reason I don't replay Fallout 1 and 2 that often (other games from the same era hold up far better and get replayed at lot).

Annonchinil

Scholar
FeelTheRads said:
Annonchinil said:
Where did I state it was do to the games difficulty? Which is what you keep on talking about saying it was to hard for me.

FeelTheRads said:
First, you stated the interface was too difficult for you. So difficult in fact you can't get into the game.

Jesus, man, do we have to do this all over again?

You can't get into the game because of the interface and "having to switch between moving and selecting objects".

So, if it wasn't too difficult then what? It was so bad that you had trouble to get into the game? Again, if that's the case then you're either a liar about when you started gaming or you've only played a couple of games in your life.

And again, what was with that totally unrelated post? Don't remember anybody asking you if you thought the Fallout 3 interface is better or there being a discussion on the matter.

Mastermind said:
NWN2 HAZ GOOD ITRAFACE !LOZLOR!"

I specifically said the game is not difficult. Yet you continue to pretend that I had not said so early on. Now you finally mention it. What was the point of all your arguments about how the game was 'too hard or complex' for me? I mentioned the interface as feeling clunky. You see there is a difference between complaining that something feels clunky and something that is hard or complex. Usually complaining something as being too complex means that they do not understand how it works. I understand how F1 interface works just fine. Feel is an entirely different matter. I think stuff like pixel hunt and console style inventory are annoying and could be done better. They create odd key bindings and require multiple clicks. Other aspects feel slow, like switching weapon fire settings. Too much information is also presented in the bottom left instead of floating. Stuff like this make the game feel dated and difficult to get into. Its mechanics and the way the interface are structured are not complex. Which is why I stated there is no complexity barrier between people enjoying F3 and F1. 'Feel' anyways is a temporary matter and can be overcome. Sort of like switching from Windows to a Macbook.

Finally as to why it was all brought up is because the discussion was heading into the direction of if a good Fallout game could be done in the Fallout 3 engine. I think so. The only reason I talked about 'feel' and not interface design is because it is a poor comparison. Its hard to compare an isometric and an FPS game interface. Obviously pressing 'C' in an FPS view is not going to result in access of the character screen. It didn't do so in Morrowind and I don't remember people complaining about the game's interface. Things like presenting statistics could be changed and are not tied to the engine. The big difference, other than the perspective is VATS vs. TB. VATS is inherently odd while TB in Fallout, so far is ok. I would prefer either a good TB or a good FPS.

And in case you are wondering I am playing F1 right now and the game is fine. The first part is dull. Although it is for most rpgs.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
FeelTheRads said:
clumsy radial menus.

Those are some of the worst things that happened to UIs.

Why have a normal drop-down menu when you can have a stupid radial one that forces you to move the mouse in all possible directions until you get to what you want?

Horrible, horrible things.

Multiple directions confuse you? :smug:

FeelTheRads, splitting atoms with his mind.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Jim Cojones said:
- there's no option to push a character that is blocking your way.[/list]

There is. Walk into them. They'll slowly slide in the opposite direction.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah for the few minutes that it takes to memorize the menu?

And for the rest of the game when trying to get to an option you want? Because you know... radial menu with the options arranged in circles?

ToEE's menus weren't bad at all.

They were. Of course, the worst radial menus were in the NWN games.

Again, why a simple drop-down menu isn't enough, I don't know. POR2 had one and it worked just fine. And they should be familiar for anybody who used a computer instead of a "Simon Says" machine. :roll:

Multiple directions confuse you?

Listen fucking dumb kid, once you make the claim that NWN2's interface is good you are out of any discussion regarding interfaces and, if it were for me, also the right to waste oxygen. Period.

Melcar

Arcane
The radial menu in ToEE sucked hard at first, but then you get used to it and find it rather efficient, what with all the options and shit you get. It's a TB game anyway, so you can take your time with the menu. I still prefer the classic drop-down menu system, though.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
FeelTheRads said:
Listen fucking dumb kid, once you make the claim that NWN2's interface is good you are out of any discussion regarding interfaces and, if it were for me, also the right to waste oxygen. Period.

Hey, I understand. If multiple directions are too much for you to handle, I can see why NWN2's interface might grate on you. Which is why I recommend the Quake 2/Hexen/Heretic line of RPGs. You don't even need a mouse to access the inventory, you can manipulate it with 3 buttons, and they make it real easy by not having any other special abilities for you to select from any menu, radial or otherwise. :smug:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Clockwork Knight said:
If the intention is to save work / time, a radial menu is better than a drop down one. You just have to move the mouse a little bit.

Not if you have to figure out how all this direction shit works.

SoupNazi

Mastermind said:
Not if you have to figure out how all this direction shit works.

Which doesn't take more than a minute or two unless you've got the intellect of a nine year old.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Melcar said:
Bro, he's 8. Give him a break.

I was being sarcastic. FeelTheRads is the one confused by having to move the mouse left and right. Or, God forbid, diagonally. :smug:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
thesheeep said:
There is no work at all necessary to "figure out" a radial menu when the symbols/texts are clear.

There is extra work which is not necessary with a dropdown menu. Having to go back and forth/up and down with the mouse to reach a submenu 2 or 3 levels down is stupid, and NOT SAVING any time, but rather wasting my time.

Because that's what I was talking about not about a radial menu with only one level.

So, again, the point of a radial menu is.... ?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
I wonder if we can convince Jimbob to put FTR up as Sloth on his new story.

Only if you're gonna be Captain Sometimes Obvious.

Also, "can't right-click to switch between actions" >>>>>> "can't use radial menu" in terms of laziness, so I wouldn't want to take the guy's place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom