Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout New Vegas: worth it?

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
Hi pals, now I want to know what is the general Codex consensus regarding FNV, I see that the game is 8th on the uber list of pc rpgs but I'm not quite convinced. I started with 3 and I liked it, than played Fallout 1 and was completely blown away by the awarness of the sheer difference between the two titles and the depth of the darkness that for so much time clouded my mind in a thick dome of ignorance. I fear NV is too similar to fo3. I know it uses the same shitty engine and 1st person shooter galore, but what about quest design and dialogues? Factions and C&C? Consistency with the background of the classic titles? Is it a good game to expand the experience of the first two?

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I would suggest playing it right away with mods that makes shooting experience tougher/more realistic. I wish I had that one when I started. Much better with it. Also the ones with bugfixes and graphics.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just don't max your strength out to 10 at the very beginning, let it go to 9 at the most, if you want a high Strength bloke.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
New Vegas has great RPG mechanics, factions and post-apocalyptic wild west aesthetic but the actual gameplay is shit, like you would expect from Fallout 3 engine. It might be good idea to play as a stealthy sniper character or something so you can deal with enemies without any actual firefights, unless you can stomach the clunky combat.

You may also want to install jsawyer mod and Project Nevada which includes sprinting, which makes running long distances less frustrating, and bullet time, which makes the bad gunplay easier to manage, among other things.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
NV is pretty much a must-play. You don't need any gay mods. The game is far too easy even on hard with hardcore mode on, but if it's your first time playing it should be bearable. Unless you get the sniper dude from the T Rex, he pops all the moles before you even see them. Once you finish the main game, do Dead Money and get REKT at the Sierra Madre by the massive spike in difficulty, and experience the incline in writing and atmosphere. The other DLCs are not as good but still good enough.

laclongquan

Arcane
1st run: No mod, play like normal until you feel overpowered compared to usual enemies. Then you can abandon and restart, because that's whenyou grasp somewhat game's mechanics.

2nd run: Install those DLCs. Now is when you try your hands at those extra: 1st should be Honest Hearts because it's easiest. Then Dead money for a kick in the balls. Then Old World Blues. Finally Lonesome Road. You should feel like wanting to restart after that even if you havent finished main game yet.

3rd run: Install a slower level progression. I recommend a 3x rate for proper veteran. Enjoy the hard game with your bag of tricks and knowledge.

If you feel the game is too easy, play it as a nudist~

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I started with 3 and I liked it,

:whatho:

I fear NV is too similar to fo3.

:negative:

I know it uses the same shitty engine and 1st person shooter galore, but what about quest design and dialogues?

Writing-wise, FNV is everything that F3 is not, namely, "decent-to-good-to-quite-good".

Factions and C&C?

Factions are ok and so are C&Cs: there are a few highlights, and a lot of OK-ness.

Consistency with the background of the classic titles? Is it a good game to expand the experience of the first two?

Dunno what to say to that. To me, it just feels like something else altogether, I can't say I actually perceive it as "belonging" to the same universe: they just happen to all be post-apocalyptic games, but I don't think there aren't that many "direct ties" between 1+2 and FNV, if any at all (I haven't played FNV in quite a while), other than some factions and background lore... On second thought, I really dunno what to say, so I'll leave it to someone else to reply to that more thoroughly.

Hi pals, now I want to know what is the general Codex consensus regarding FNV, I see that the game is 8th on the uber list of pc rpgs but I'm not quite convinced.

The list is the closest you'll get to a consensus, friend. At least more than asking people individually in a thread. But I can tell you're a gentleman of refined taste who values his ti-

I started with 3 and I liked it

Nevermind.

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
Hi pals, now I want to know what is the general Codex consensus regarding FNV, I see that the game is 8th on the uber list of pc rpgs but I'm not quite convinced.

The list is the closest you'll get to a consensus, friend. At least more than asking people individually in a thread. But I can tell you're a gentleman of refined taste who values his ti-

I started with 3 and I liked it

Nevermind.
I'm sorry I discovered the classic Fallout games after playing the third, it seems like you were born with an integrated sense of enlightenment or some kind of internal compass that makes you immune to mistakes. I'm sorry for being a mortal, master, but I'm working hard on it, maybe a time travel machine is what I need, to go back in time and convince myself when I was a kid to play FO1 when I didn't even have a pc and the only English word I knew was hamburger.
Anyway, I saw the endings and was pretty impressed with the game keeping track of every single choice, even minor ones, that you made throughout the game.

That's not the point, dumb-dumb. I could understand being doubtful if you loathed 3, but if you liked it back then there's no reason for this thread to exist. Hay guise is this game that is similar to that other game I liked, only better, worth trying?

Yeah, New Vegas is definitely worth playing for any serious RPG fan. It might be the best of the new cRPGs (after early 2000s) and a very good game in its own right, with one important caveat. F:NV has very good writing, C&C, and exploration by default, but is a flawed gem with shitty out-of-the-box combat. That's why several steps must be taken to improve the combat significantly, and turn this into a really good all-around game:

1) Don't use VATS, ever. EVER!
2) Use Project Nevada or JSawyer mod or something else like it to lower hitpoint bloat across the board. Project Nevada is best, as it lowers it the most.
3) Play on Hardcore mode to get rid of broken Stimpak insta-healing.
4) Install "no neos" mod from the Nexus that stops NPCs side-dodging bullets (stupid feature of F3 engine)
5) Try to use single shot weapons and weak armor for best effect.

These steps will turn F:NV combat into a halfway decent shooter, which by RPG combat standards, would make it pretty damn good. The biggest shortcoming of it will then be the quest compass and quests being broken down into small digestible pieces, making you feel like an errandboy a lot of times. Otherwise, high quality RPG.

NV is pretty much exactly what you're looking for. You liked Fallout 3 when you played it, FNV is Fallout 3 but better in every way when it comes to gameplay, more of an RPG, with a better combat system. You liked the original Fallouts and disliked that Fallout 3 ignored the lore, FNV is closer to the original games and is a direct continuation of the lore and factions of the last two games.
what about quest design and dialogues? Factions and C&C? Consistency with the background of the classic titles? Is it a good game to expand the experience of the first two?
Strong yes, to all of these.

For mods, use the unofficial patch with Jsawyer over it. There are alternatives to Sawyer, but they generally are tedious to install and do more than necessary, Jsawyer is also the most inline with the original vision of the lead designer. Some say to play the game vanilla first, but I don't really think it's necessary.

After the first playthrough though, there's plenty of great mods to make another one worth it, and the game has enough choices to warrant it. There are probably some threads around here with suggestions.

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
That's not the point, dumb-dumb. I could understand being doubtful if you loathed 3, but if you liked it back then there's no reason for this thread to exist. Hay guise is this game that is similar to that other game I liked, only better, worth trying?
Hello genius, that's exactly the point: I liked it back then, BUT I don't like it now, after playing Fallout 1. I'm afraid you might have some serious sentence comprehension issues, good sir, but I'm sure you'll find another fine argument to both contribute in a very productive way to this thread by addressing the formal inconsistencies of the logical structure underlying this discussion and save your ass finding a satisfying way of satiating your ego.

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
Yeah, New Vegas is definitely worth playing for any serious RPG fan. It might be the best of the new cRPGs (after early 2000s) and a very good game in its own right, with one important caveat. F:NV has very good writing, C&C, and exploration by default, but is a flawed gem with shitty out-of-the-box combat. That's why several steps must be taken to improve the combat significantly, and turn this into a really good all-around game:

1) Don't use VATS, ever. EVER!
2) Use Project Nevada or JSawyer mod or something else like it to lower hitpoint bloat across the board. Project Nevada is best, as it lowers it the most.
3) Play on Hardcore mode to get rid of broken Stimpak insta-healing.
4) Install "no neos" mod from the Nexus that stops NPCs side-dodging bullets (stupid feature of F3 engine)
5) Try to use single shot weapons and weak armor for best effect.

These steps will turn F:NV combat into a halfway decent shooter, which by RPG combat standards, would make it pretty damn good. The biggest shortcoming of it will then be the quest compass and quests being broken down into small digestible pieces, making you feel like an errandboy a lot of times. Otherwise, high quality RPG.

NV is pretty much exactly what you're looking for. You liked Fallout 3 when you played it, FNV is Fallout 3 but better in every way when it comes to gameplay, more of an RPG, with a better combat system. You liked the original Fallouts and disliked that Fallout 3 ignored the lore, FNV is closer to the original games and is a direct continuation of the lore and factions of the last two games.

Strong yes, to all of these.

For mods, use the unofficial patch with Jsawyer over it. There are alternatives to Sawyer, but they generally are tedious to install and do more than necessary, Jsawyer is also the most inline with the original vision of the lead designer. Some say to play the game vanilla first, but I don't really think it's necessary.

After the first playthrough though, there's plenty of great mods to make another one worth it, and the game has enough choices to warrant it. There are probably some threads around here with suggestions.
Thank you for the extensive answers. I'm more oriented towards a vanilla experience since I don't care if the combat is shitty, I'm more interested about the C&C/factions/npc interactions because I wanted a good rpg faithful to the legacy of the classics.

Last edited:
There are still reasons to use Jsawyer though, even outside of the improved combat. It fixes bugs but also inconsistencies, and fills out the leveled lists with the items from the DLCs that logically fit into the game, as well as combining pointless duplicates, assuming you get the GOTY edition.
It also plays better as an RPG, since NV relies on a lot of stat and special checks. Without Jsawyer the game tends to overload you with levels like Fallout 3. Unless you happen to be a fan of that Bethesdaman jack of all trades playstyle, you'll definitely want to install it.

Hello genius, that's exactly the point: I liked it back then, BUT I don't like it now, after playing Fallout 1.

You know about the forum's opinion of 3 and you know Vegas is in the list anyway, so you're either asking if yes means yes or this is babby's first brofist harvesting. Guise I have seen the light!

bravo_smiley.gif

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
Hello genius, that's exactly the point: I liked it back then, BUT I don't like it now, after playing Fallout 1.

You know about the forum's opinion of 3 and you know Vegas is in the list anyway, so you're either asking if yes means yes or this is babby's first brofist harvesting. Guise I have seen the light!

bravo_smiley.gif
Thank you, thank you, it's a pleasure to satisfy the audience and I must admit that your dialectic skill has seen a substantial improvement since last time:excellent:

Lujo

Augur
After a lot o staring at Fallout 2, modding it and doing forensics on the inconsistencies and missing stuff and reasons for things that made no sense in that game etc, I have to conclude that Fallout New Vegas is not so much a sequel to Fallout 1 & 2 as much as a remake of Fallout 2, or whatever Fallout 2 was originally supposed to be but for various reasons wasn't and couldn't be when it was made.

This is not to say it's good or bad or anything, that's just kinda the "what it is" of it..

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
After a lot o staring at Fallout 2, modding it and doing forensics on the inconsistencies and missing stuff and reasons for things that made no sense in that game etc, I have to conclude that Fallout New Vegas is not so much a sequel to Fallout 1 & 2 as much as a remake of Fallout 2, or whatever Fallout 2 was originally supposed to be but for various reasons wasn't and couldn't be when it was made.

This is not to say it's good or bad or anything, that's just kinda the "what it is" of it..

Except FO2 shows the NCR in it's early days while NV doesn't. If anything, NV is what it's overriding story slaps with you, a compromised Van Buren that either focuses more tightly on certain elements of the game or accepts it as canon and takes place down the line after the events in VB are sorted out and the Legion and NCR have assumed more a presence in a part of the region that was in the game.

Unless you mean that FO2 was originally meant to focus on a figure like House, has Tim Cain or anything else close to FO1 but not really involved in 2 said anything about what they might have intended for a potential sequel?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom