Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Shelter, Bethesda's Vault management sim - now on PC

Lhynn

Arcane
Of course not, they want to force you to register and probably install some kind of spyware. What you are downloading is a launcher, not the game itself.

So this is supposed to be the first close to decent Fallout game Bethesda has released or something? Is it a good port of the mobile version at least?

pippin

It's not really close to decent, people got bored of it quite fast. Which is what happens with mobile games after all. Post Apoc Bunker management with a few Sims elements isn't a bad idea but this is Bethesda.

Severian Silk

The graphics are nice, and there are enough features to make reviewers think it's an actual game for that tasty, tasty 8/10 rating. That's all Bethesda cares about.

uaciaut

Augur
Sounds better than EA's rape-take on reviving Dungeon Keeper. Might give it a shot when it comes out on android.

ortucis

Prophet
So this game is like "This war of mine." (TWOM)?

That game was boring enough, don't need another.

EDIT: Just played it. Had to download a fucking launcher for a free game. PC gamers are getting anally gaped by every company that thinks it needs a fucking launcher for 2 games it has on PC.

Anyway, game is a lite version of TWOM. Maybe it's just me but it seems you have to wait even longer for game to progress than TWOM. At least with later, you can sleep and progress and events happen regularly. That said, game is similar in many ways and fun for a while.. then the boredom hits.

EDIT 2: apparently this is one of those games which pretends to keep playing while turned off. In other words, turn back your PC clock or forward to insta-win this shitty waiting game. I basically completed the whole Dragon Age: Inquisition "War Table" by alt-tabbing and increasing system clock. Bleh.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Its shit, tried it for like half an hour and saw what the whole thing is. its a waiting game, all you do is wait and click on thingies every 1-3 minutes. Beyond retardedly bad, especially for PC.

Last edited:

ortucis

Prophet
Yeah this game is for mobiles. To be honest, I don't even see how it's fun on mobiles, unless you do nothing but game on mobile exclusively. The AI doesn't exist, so basically, if you don't sit around clicking every 3-4 minutes, they refuse to "collect" power, water or food by themselves.

The only thing fun is sending out your dwellers in wasteland. After finishing Technomancer, I am not in the mood to sit around shoot or hit anything, so I am OK with just sending a dumb AI to go out on adventure (while I read quest log..). But holy fuck, it takes forever for these fuckers to level up even when they are earning shitload of XP. And even then, levelling up only seems to increase their HP. So their stats are only increased through equipment.

Anyway, This War of Mine has more things to do, but to be honest, I found myself bored an hour in in that game and this. Though I can see them being fun (for me) with some gameplay changes (basically, remove the waiting period, for starters).

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Its shit, tried it for like half an hour and saw what the whole thing is. its a waiting game, all you do is wait and lick on thingies every 1-3 minutes. Beyond retardedly bad, especially for PC.

You don't have to wait if you pay :smug:

pippin

So they kept the microtransactions? I guess that's why they needed the launcher.

I also wonder if the launcher means baby steps into making their own store like Ubi, EA et al. I kind of see a future where every dev sets up their own store and leave Steam altogether.

ortucis

Prophet
You don't have to pay for jack. Just keep completing objectives and you will keep getting lunchboxes every now and then.

Also, you don't even have to way much to do anything. Just keep "rushing" every room, you will end up earning a lot of XP and caps, allowing you to create everything easily. Also, I was wrong before. When you leave the game alone, the power, water and food stockpiles but doesn't deplete fully, so the dwellers don't die.

I unlocked a level 11 "Douglas Martin" when I started a new vault. Sent him outside vault when I went to sleep, woke up to find him carrying 9 different weapons and armor, 1500+ caps and levelled up to level 16.

While we're at it. Three raiders attacked me once before, only once. They just randomly ran around hitting air while my dwellers barely fought back, even those with guns only shot them few times. So one of the raiders died, two of them ran away. I have no idea what was the point of that. It did no property damage (or it was minimal) and they didn't attack any dwellers, even the pregnant onces. I thought they would butcher them all..

PS: I think this is more fun than "This War of Mine". Not sure why. Maybe it's because I haven't spent much time actually in-game compared to TWoM, I just let it run while I slept, while in TWoM, you have to sit and watch the slow process.

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Loool

Installed and started it just now and then went on to create my first vault.
And of course the game first asks me to pick a vault number.

This is what showed up without me doing anything:
jwSODe2.jpg

Jawoll, mein FĂĽhrer!

3UlP9oB.jpg

Maybe they are trolling me because I chose Nazi German as nationality?
:hmmm:

ortucis

Prophet
They create vault dwellers (their skin color only) at start based on your location as well.

Tried this a bit. This game is MAJORLY fucked up mechanics wise. It makes Oblivion look like a finely-honed system. Everything is level scaled such that you have to play in the dumbest way possible to do well.

- This is supposed to be a builder game, right? You want people, but people consume resources, and infrastructure producing resources takes money. So ideally you want to build up your infrastructure to maximize efficiency (especially for basic resources so that you can support a larger advanced-resource economy), right? WRONG. The difficulty of room spawns is level scaled. If you pump up a max efficiency room immediately your settlers will take 50% of their health in damage from a single fire outbreak. Yes, FIRES are level scaled. You can't level up your extinguisher skill. And you can't even produce stimpacks until several hours in, so you can only rely on the completely inadequate slow healing which is suicide.
- Your actual character levels affect almost nothing. You start out with 100 health and every level gives you +2.5 + 0.5 * END. That's it, no damage or damage resistance or production or anything. Which is basically shit when you realize that every character starts out at 1 or 2 END and stats can't even begin to be improved until late in the game. So a level 30 character might only have 190 health because you couldn't level them up "correctly". Invasions are level scaled, and level way faster than your health does. So you have to play the game trying to avoid accidentally clicking the button ontop of your settlers heads that says "level up".
- Room spawns are insanely high and very deadly once you've leveled rooms up. The catch? They can only spread to adjacent rooms. Build your rooms diagonal from each other and you can just run away from the rooms and they self-extinguish threats (whether bug or fire). No harm no foul.
- Invader spawns are... what were they thinking. It's like invaders just walk through your rooms to spend around 10s in each, then walk to the next. While they are in a room they emit a DoT effect. But you can just walk your settlers past the enemies and they'll do... nothing? So all invasions can also be "beaten" at zero risk or difficulty.
- Rushing is insanely OP. It goes off the average luck of the room and finishes a job instantly. So you just need to have one super-lucky character that goes to a room, move everyone else out, hit the rush button and you've obtained probably several minutes worth of production. A size-3 perfect upgrades medbay producing 16 stim packs might take an hour for several buffed-INT characters to complete, and instead a single character can rush it instantly once every 10-15 mins or so then move on to the next room. And unlike normal production (which only happens when the game is running and characters are in it) the "rush" risk always ticks down in the background while the game is closed.
- Also, invaders and room problems can't even HAPPEN if you have the game closed. Ideally you want to open the game, play a few moves to gather resources as fast as possible, then immediately close the game before you are presented with the tedium of waiting for an attack or event to finish up.

So the optimal strategy is to have a bunch of super large unmanned rooms that are spaced diagonally, having a handful of super-lucky characters running back and forth to rush things, and play as little actual time as possible. Also savescum the first lunchbox until you get a super-character then send them out with the max stack of stimpacks and radaway. You get better loot the longer they are out so just ignore them for a day or two and they'll come back with the uber stuff.

Most of this can probably be ignored if you aren't playing on survival mode but I couldn't bear to consider myself casual scum on a phone game.

On the plus side this game was possibly the least jew-y freemium game I've found. There's basically zero incentive to spend real money on anything. It seems Bethesda did actually make this as a promotional tool for Fallout 4 first and foremost rather than a money grabbing scheme in itself. Would be way better if all the production silliness was worked out, level scaling was scaled back hard, defense was more of a tower defense-style thing rather than just running away or having the biggest weapon handy, and exploration actually had some exploration to it. Which basically means I rather want an almost entirely different game.

Last edited:

ortucis

Prophet
I didn't know fire level-scaled. To be honest, I rush every room and fire doesn't really do much to my settlers (most of them are level 13+) since they use fire extinguishers very successful (well, fire lasts for like 5 seconds for me). I am getting more Radroach attacks over fire though, not sure why.

Anyway, the only time This War of Mine was fun for me was when you were out exploring, collecting resourcing, hiding from people. I wish they had that on this game, but Fallout Shelter is a lite version of former, they weren't planning for it to become a hit.

I am guessing, Fallout Shelter 2 will have more exploration. My initial reaction was negative, but after spending more time in-game (well, you can play this for like 15 mins at a time, then close it and come back later), it's fun. Maybe they'll add more features with new updates.

Lhynn

Arcane
- Also, invaders and room problems can't even HAPPEN if you have the game closed. Ideally you want to open the game, play a few moves to gather resources as fast as possible, then immediately close the game before you are presented with the tedium of waiting for an attack or event to finish up.
Just change your clock while the pc is running. it will fast forward and nothing bad will happen. you can do this every minute or so to pick the stuff you need. Its incredibly tedious tho.
Anyway, 45 minutes were enough of this piss. Its gone from my computer.

pippin

In the mobile game you were supposed to buy lunchboxes.
Also I think you guys are overthinking what's supposed to be a cheap timewaster.

Yeah this game is for mobiles. To be honest, I don't even see how it's fun on mobiles, unless you do nothing but game on mobile exclusively. The AI doesn't exist, so basically, if you don't sit around clicking every 3-4 minutes, they refuse to "collect" power, water or food by themselves.

The only thing fun is sending out your dwellers in wasteland. After finishing Technomancer, I am not in the mood to sit around shoot or hit anything, so I am OK with just sending a dumb AI to go out on adventure (while I read quest log..). But holy fuck, it takes forever for these fuckers to level up even when they are earning shitload of XP. And even then, levelling up only seems to increase their HP. So their stats are only increased through equipment.

Anyway, This War of Mine has more things to do, but to be honest, I found myself bored an hour in in that game and this. Though I can see them being fun (for me) with some gameplay changes (basically, remove the waiting period, for starters).

The main sources of satisfaction in this game, comes from that gambling thrill that comes from opening Lunchboxes hoping for great stuff (like trading card booster packs/Hearthstone), or random chance for finding said great stuff while exploring/questing. All spiced up by being sparingly dosed, without money of course.

As a cow clicker meant for spending 10 minutes on a toilet here or there, it's alright, I guess.

I am guessing, Fallout Shelter 2 will have more exploration

ortucis

Prophet
Yeah I already know about exploration. I found out when I created overseer office and there were quests (I never bothered reading about 1.6 update).

It's still you doing nothing much but clicking one room after another while AI stands around taking turns. I am guessing Agility stat makes them attack faster because enemies seem to attack more often. Not that it's a issue, I have been sending 25+ level dwellers into 6+ level quests. Always easy (plus I load up on stimpacks and radaway).

This War of Mine had better exploration, I was thinking more of that with Fallout Shelter 2, not the current type.

As far as lunchboxes are concerned, I have only gotten like 5 so far since there is no way in hell I am spending real money on in-game purchases, first time around I got a high level special character, but after that, pretty meh. But what I like most is sending dwellers on to quest and reading their quest logs. It'd be really cool to see random pictures of dwellers doing something, taken automatically by the AI in these logs.

Zerginfestor

Learned
with these updates, it's surprisingly more entertaining to play this than Fallout 4. No fucking idea why. Also, what's with the colorful pets? So weird. Now I just need to make a squad complete with rottweilers as the true kill task force.

pippin

No fucking idea why

Perhaps because unlike 4, Shelter isn't a big scam whereyou play something while pretending to be playing a completely different game?
I mean, the backgrounds of the vaults give you the basis for a really nice Fallout themed sims game. But that won't be achieved by Bethesda.

Zerginfestor

Learned
No fucking idea why

Perhaps because unlike 4, Shelter isn't a big scam whereyou play something while pretending to be playing a completely different game?
I mean, the backgrounds of the vaults give you the basis for a really nice Fallout themed sims game. But that won't be achieved by Bethesda.

True, they don't hide any bullshit with Fallout Shelter, so you don't feel scammed or anything. Anyhow, I think they still have that terrible mechanic where if a Vault dweller levels up, their stats permanently increase, and stay there despite increasing their Endurance to 10 later on which doesn't affect their health before hand, meaning you should never level them up until they hit 10 Endurance for maximum health. Bleh.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why?
Just install that Bethestard launcher and you're good.

How "hard" is this game btw? Didn't really start playing yet and if this is another one of those mobile games where you basically can't lose no matter how retarded you play it I think I'll pass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom