Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout: Tactics - Any tips from the pros?

laclongquan

Arcane
As far as I remember taking the fort is pretty pointless (I only took it once a long time ago and never did it again in subsequent plays). XP gain is minimal, you don't get anything useful : the M2 can be had on other mutants, the gun in the chest can be taken by stealth and the littlle DU ammo mutants have is mostly used once they are dead. I lnow I did it once to show them that mine was bigger than theirs, but is there any other valid reason ?

XP from the fort is higher than normal Sm around the map, because the fort team are elite. I suspect either you use a mod that change normal into elite, or something.

Cael

Arcane
As far as I remember taking the fort is pretty pointless (I only took it once a long time ago and never did it again in subsequent plays). XP gain is minimal, you don't get anything useful : the M2 can be had on other mutants, the gun in the chest can be taken by stealth and the littlle DU ammo mutants have is mostly used once they are dead. I lnow I did it once to show them that mine was bigger than theirs, but is there any other valid reason ?

XP from the fort is higher than normal Sm around the map, because the fort team are elite. I suspect either you use a mod that change normal into elite, or something.
Other way round, laccy? Elite into normal?

Unwanted

Bladeract

It's Neckbeard Shitlord. Again.
Dumbfuck
What you can do is sneak up on the idiots at Macomb and take their rocket launchers with ammo intact. Both of them can be snuck up on from the rear if you circle around them. You should end up with 3 rounds of ammo. Then, at St Louis, find a mutant entrenchment with a M249 and let him have it in the face with the rocket launcher. Pick up the M249 and profit from there on in.

The game isn't hard. I am doing a playthrough where I am using minimal 7.62mm rounds. That means no hunting rifles or AK47 in the early game. I am currently relying on punching, MP5 and shotguns to get through the game (just completed Quincy). It helps to have a person dedicated to Stealing in the squad. There are quite a number of goodies to be pickpocketed that will help you immensely, including Jackhammers and Miniguns.

In the sniper vs fast shot debate, sniper is pretty much king in this game. The knockout ability of snipers is ludicrous. With a weapon rating of 150+, you can aim for the eyes at 95% almost out to the maximum range of the weapon. Knock them out and then close in and punch them to death or use more damaging but shorter ranged weapons to do the same. With the sniper rifle, shotguns, a high small guns and sneak rating, good perception and the right tactics, you can basically take out St Louis, including that big fort of theirs, without the supermutants being able to fire a shot.

Why no 7.62? Is this just to make it harder or is there some gamey reason?

St. Louis is easy in the dark because I would have a sneaky char ahead to spot, and then use big guns or snipers with long range to blast them to pieces once spotted while the mutants could see nothing at all. They usually just sit their dumbly until they keel over.

laclongquan

Arcane
No way to know. Both the mods I mentioned pass several cycles changing back and forth, so who know if that game got an early version that mess with that aspect?

Anyway, in vanilla 7.62 is ammo for sniper rifles and it's not easy to stockpile it, so I remember farming the encounter to get enemy that use 7.62.

Cael

Arcane
Why no 7.62? Is this just to make it harder or is there some gamey reason?

St. Louis is easy in the dark because I would have a sneaky char ahead to spot, and then use big guns or snipers with long range to blast them to pieces once spotted while the mutants could see nothing at all. They usually just sit their dumbly until they keel over.
7.62 is the workhorse ammo of much of the game. The entire early-mid game uses it as your main ammo. Take AK47 and hunting rifles out of the equation and you are basically left with shotguns and 9mm SMGs. It is not until Preoria that you get M16 and M14s and not until Quincy that you get M1s. That means that you are basically limited to the 25 range of MP5s and the 10-20 damage of the same, probably much closer if you want to be in any way accurate. The tactics you use would be far different to when you can safely blast enemies away at 40 range.

It is just a challenge, and I should probably also have mentioned that I don't use any of the more exotic ammo like 30.06, .303, .50, .44, 9mm AP/JHP, various shotgun ammo types other than the red ones (i.e., I only use the basic shotgun ammo), rockets of all types, etc. The only ammo I usually use are 9mm ball, 5.56 (as a sub for 9mm ball when it runs out, or now when I am not using 7.62), 7.62 and 12-gauge. This is true all the way up to the end of the game except when I run into Behemoths and low on HP (and therefore can't take the time to knock it out with eye shots).

The point of my tactics is not to allow the enemy to open fire at all. Every round THEY fire is a round you don't get. That is how I ended up with over 42k 7.62 and 8k-ish? .50 rounds in my last sniper run while starting Newton (I stopped playing there to play Warlock 2 for a couple of months and never returned to complete it; started a new punching run instead). I am hoping to beat that 7.62 stash by not using 7.62 this time round (although I don't see how can avoid using 7.62 with the sniper rifle later once I get it; that 50 range is just too good).

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I didn't use any mod. I just don't remember any significant XP boost. Maybe I got one more level out of it, maybe not. I just remember being disappointed and finding the extra challenge not worth the trouble. Then again I'm not a .50 cal DU enthusiast anyway.

Cael

Arcane
Anyway, in vanilla 7.62 is ammo for sniper rifles and it's not easy to stockpile it, so I remember farming the encounter to get enemy that use 7.62.

Dude... what???

FOT_Ammo.png

This is before Great Bend (but after Coldwater)

laclongquan

Arcane
Eh? I thought vanilla 1.27's 7.62 ammo is not that easy to stockpile especially middle game.

IIRC we shoot AK like crazy so the 7.62 was burnt like no tomorrow. Then we have to save ammo and use Sniper Rifle.

Cael

Arcane
Eh? I thought vanilla 1.27's 7.62 ammo is not that easy to stockpile especially middle game.

IIRC we shoot AK like crazy so the 7.62 was burnt like no tomorrow. Then we have to save ammo and use Sniper Rifle.
No way, man. 7.62 is more abundant than water. I am talking literally thousands of rounds dropping from dead bodies. Macomb alone is at least 1500 rounds. Springfield is easily over 2k, if not 3-4k. Every supermutant mission gives you 240 rounds per mutant with a SAW or M60.

That is why I am using it like my score :D

filpan

Scholar
I have never tried to play the game turn based style, only real time. Any opinion on turn based?

Cael

Arcane
I have never tried to play the game turn based style, only real time. Any opinion on turn based?
Completely different game from what I can see. I only used CTB to run away from two enemy types killing each other in the early game (before my Outdoorsman went up to 100+), so I am not too certain of my analysis for it.

TB is more geared towards ambushes. It allows you to carefully position your guys before opening fire. However, it also means that the AI cheats and the enemy is ALWAYS on overwatch. What you don't kill in the first salvo will retaliate fire, so plan accordingly. Sneaking is far better in TB as well.

RT is smoother, more chaotic and melee combat has an easier time of it as you can attract fire and then rush in before their AP regenerates (TB usually means you eat one or two shots once their turn comes along, and when it is burst weapons, you are in deep doo-doo).

The tactics are different and it really depends on what style you like to play. Mine is definitely more TB than RT.

filpan

Scholar
Thank you. I havent played FT for 8 years probably so will incorporate some TB when I play it again.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Use a vindicator minigun(or multiple) at long range, see how long that 7,62 lasts haha.

Or use it at short/medium range and kill everything before you run out.

Cael

Arcane
Oh, man. I forgot how bloody annoying Mardin was... Beast Lords kept hiding and not even 10 Per and 160 Stealth can detect the bastards. I had a BL with an AK run around the corner and didn't appear until he was right next to and kissing my guy. Luckily, it was TB and he didn't have enough AP left to open fire, and was promptly punched into explosion. The barracks area had 2 stealthed guys with shotguns and another two with needler and M1. None of my guys could see them until they opened fire. And all of the baby Deathclaws in the throne room and at least 2 BL were stealthed.

Luckily, next mission is St louis. No more bloody stealths. Grr!

laclongquan

Arcane
Oh, man. I forgot how bloody annoying Mardin was... Beast Lords kept hiding and not even 10 Per and 160 Stealth can detect the bastards. I had a BL with an AK run around the corner and didn't appear until he was right next to and kissing my guy. Luckily, it was TB and he didn't have enough AP left to open fire, and was promptly punched into explosion. The barracks area had 2 stealthed guys with shotguns and another two with needler and M1. None of my guys could see them until they opened fire. And all of the baby Deathclaws in the throne room and at least 2 BL were stealthed.

You need a high Perception stealth guy in first to detect them. Use drugs if you have to. Sneak to the last flight of the stair and start checking them out. Then a sniper team from the top of the stair start taking pot shot at the most vulnerable target and draw them toward the stair. The long stair (with a hidden spotter) can reveal most of them. The ambushing guys with burst weapon can shoot them dead before taking much damage.

some drugs to raise survival rate is called for, like Vodoo.

Mind you the deathclaws is really good at stealth and you are guaranteed to get your teeth kicked in. The design seem to try to get a few of your guys killed, to prepare space for the BG guys in the pool.

This is the last mission before Supermutant appear, and render burst SMG type ineffective, so make the most of it.

Cael

Arcane
So, Cael, can we have a St Louis mission report? We want to know how it went...
In brief:
All mutants killed. Unable to recover 20 rounds of 7.62mm (due to damned mutants using them first :argh:) and one lead pipe (due to death bug where if two enemies have the same death sprite on the same spot, you can't loot the body at the bottom :argh:).

Full combat report:
Listen up, you scrubs! Today, we are going to talk about tactics. You know, the thing that requires you use that vast empty space between your ears you call "brains".

On your desk are copies of reports from K-Squad's mission at St Louis during the war against the muties. Shut up, Trent! One more whine from you about "how supermutants are people, too" and you will be cleaning latrines until Mankind has melted the whole planet with nukes. DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?

Good. Now, do you know why they were called K-Squad? Because they were damned psychos, that's why! K stands for Kamikaze, and the bastards lived up to their name. Turn to page 1 of the report. No, Trent, the page AFTER the Summary, you imbecile!

Combat equipment, K-Squad.
KS1: Walther MPL, 50x 9mm (ball), CAWS, 50x 12-gauge, leather armour Mk2, doctor bag, paramedic bag
KS2: MP5, 50x 9mm (ball), Pancor Jackhammer, 50x 12-gauge, leather armour Mk2
KS3: MP5, 50x 9mm (ball), CAWS, 50x 12-gauge, leather armour Mk2
KS4: MP5, 50x 9mm (ball), Pancor Jackhammer, 50x 12-gauge, leather armour Mk2, first aid kit, combat first aid kit
KS5: MP5, 50x 9mm (ball), Pancor Jackhammer, 50x 12-gauge, leather armour Mk2
KS6: MP5, 50x 9mm (ball), Pancor Jackhammer, 50x 12-gauge, leather armour Mk2

We will now be using names here. KS1-6 are the K-Squad members. As an indication of how much crazy is in that team, take a look at the equipment loadout of that team. That's right, scrubs. Every member was armed with either a MP5 or Walther MPL and CAWS or Pancor, and wearing Leather Armour Mk2. If I find any of you jerks going against muties with only those equipment, I will personally castrate you so that you dumbfucks don't get to despoil the human genepool any further!

St_Louis_Map.png

Eyes forward. On the screen here is the map of St Louis as it was back when K-Squad did its run. Every MS is a mutie machinegunner. Every MR is a mutie with a rocket launcher. Every MG is a mutie with 17 grenades and a bad attitude. MM are muties with lead pipes the size of your mother's asshole after that train ran through it. Oh, I'm sorry, Trent. I forgot you don't have a mother. It is your fathers' instead. BOTH OF THEM!

See those UM tags? Those are ultramutants. Muties wielding M2 Brownings loaded with DU rounds and amped up on something we have never been able to identify because K-Squad pumped them so full of buckshot, your girlfriend can wear them for a pantyhose. That's right boys and girls, K-Squad killed every motherfucking last one of them mutants on the map. How did they do it? That is why we are here.

You know the history of the St Louis mission. Fang Squad blah-blah-blah. I HEARD THAT, TRENT! It was part of your required reading. You're on fucking latrine duty until you can recite the thing backwards, you hear me?

Where was I? Right. Mission start was at P1. The sane thing to do is to take the APC and grind the muties into the dirt, but that is not the K-Squad way. They snuck their way to the ruined bunker at P2 to liberate a sniper rifle there. Someone from Fang Squad must have dropped it there because one of the dumb bastards had nothing but mines on him when K-Squad finally found them.

KS1 went to shooting position S1 while the rest assembled at S3. From S1, KS1 started shooting at MS1 and managed to kill him before the rest could react. Even took a shot that winged MS2. MG1 first tried to duck but that is a bloody stupid thing to do when the shooter had a clear line of sight to you, so he got up and charged instead. MS2 decided discretion was the better part of valour and ducked behind the sandbags. KS1 finished off the charging MG1 with aimed shots to his eyes using the Walther. Did I mention K-Squad hunted M2, SAW and rocket armed muties in the wilds with their Walthers and MP5s? Well, I have now. Bastards were psychos.

Restealthing, KS1 went to firing position S2. From there, he punched 7.62mm holes into MS4 (killed) and MS5 (injured). MR1 tried to duck but decided to charge after MS5 got his ass killed the next round. K-Squad moved forward at this stage and KS1 caught MR1 as he was climbing down the ladder which was right next to where MS4 is marked on the map. A couple of shots sent the mutie to the ground, knocked out. The rest of K-Squad beat the poor bastard to death with their bare hands. KS1 then moved to S4 and shot the injured MS2 to death before sneaking to S5 and shooting MS7 dead. After waiting for the brouhaha to die down, KS1 then snuck to S6 and snipered MS6 off the map.

The squad regrouped at P3, the site of Fang Squad's last stand. Then, they moved down- Hmm... Some dumbfuck forgot to make the shooting positions here. Wait till I lay my hands on the bastard and his dog. K-Squad moved down the valley towards MS3, snuck up behind him and blew him away using Pancors and CAWS. Once the entire eastern side of the map is more or less secured, KS6 went to get the APC while the rest of the squad looted all the bodies except MS6 and 7. There is a minefield in the area (MF3) and they didn't want to muck around near it until they are sure the area is cleared of muties. KS6 parked the APC at S1 and the squad dropped all the looted weapons and excess 7.62mm ammo into it.

Then, fully stealthed, KS1 made his way to S7 while the rest of the squad made their way to S8, which was a stand of trees and rocks. Once the rest of the squad were in position, KS1 fired on MS8, injuring but not killing him. MM1, MG3 and MS9 promptly charged KS1, while MS8 ducked for cover. MS10 moved to take cover behind the rosk above where MM1 is marked on your map. Here is the important bit: The rest of K-Squad did nothing. Do you know why? That's right, Hartfield. If they had revealed themselves, they would be caught in the crossfire between three SAW wielding muties, a mutie grenadier and had the likelihood of a pipe shoved up their collective asses. KS1 retreated towards S1, firing all the way at MG3 and MS9. It took a few rounds, but by the time MM1 caught up to KS1, both MG3 and MS9 were dead. KS1 promptly shot MM1 to death with 9mm rounds to the eyes, and THAT was when the rest of K-Squad opened up on MS10. MS8 popped his head up but K-Squad was hidden behing the rocks that gave them line of sight to MS10 but shielded them from MS8. Positioning, kids. Learn it well. KS1 snipered MS8 off the map after dealing with MM1.

While all that is going on, MS11 and MS12 were hunkered down behind the slopes, but muties are too big to really hide. KS1 snipered both before sneaking to S9 and taking out MS29. MM2 promptly charged KS1 while MS13 ducked into the trenches. KS1 took out MM2 before the dumbfuck even got within 30 feet. People look down on the 9mm ball rounds, but, by God, K-Squad used them on every mission they ever went on. The rest of K-Squad did another round of looting and storing while KS2 went and defused the minefield at MF1. It was a large one. A full 24 mines, but she took them all out, adding 120 pounds of high explosives to the squad's list.

KS1 took up position at S10 and shot MR2 to pieces. MG2 ran in and the squad met him with aimed 9mm fire and killed him before he could get a grenade off. KS2 diffused the minefield at MF3 and KS1 took up position at S11 and snipered MR6. The squad then returned to the other bridge after looting the local muties. Why? See where all the muties are waiting in ambush at anything coming down the road where MR5 and 6 are? That's why.

KS1 snuck to S12 and took out MS14. MM4 charged at him and was killed for being stupid. KS1 then went to S13 and blew MS15 and MR3 away. MR4, MS16, MS17 and MM6 promptly charged him. Where was the rest of K-Squad all this time? Chilling at S10 near the bridge. If KS1 had to retreat past them, whoever that is crossing that bridge is going to get a face full of buckshot. That wasn't necessary. KS1 snipered off MR 4 and both MS and then Walthered MM6 to death. Looting the nearby bodies (i.e., not MR4 or MS16 or 17), KS1 found another sniper rifle on MS15. Now they have TWO snipers. Ho. Ho. Ho!

The squad then split. KS1 and 2 crawled to position S15 while the rest went to S14. KS1 and 2 started this round of combat with full Pancor and CAWS bursts into the back of MS13. Before any mutie could react, KS3, 4 and 5 pumped about 12 rounds of 9mm into MG4, killing it. Restealthing, S1 and S2 went to S16, sniper rifles at the ready. KS3 and 4 went to S17 while KS5 and 6 headed for S- wait a second. That is wrong. Goddamnit! I'm going to kill his DOG then the rest of the family and then cut his dick off! Cross S19 out, kids. S19 should be where MG4 is. Right. KS5 and 6 went there. From S16, KS1 and 2 snipered off MS22 then ran back towards S15. KS3 shot MM3 and injured him while KS4 had overwatch. MS32 and 33 came charging out of their bunker, MM6 and 7 moved towards the area under MG7's tower and MS21 moved south to slightly past MG6. That's the one under the purple line. KS1 and 2 shot and injured MS32 and continued the retreat while KS3 finished off MM3 and both KS3 and 4 restealthed and headed towards S18 using the trench. It took a while, but by the time they are in position, KS1 and 2 have killed MS32 and 33 as well as MM6 and 7, all four muties dying in the area under the tower. KS1 and 2 were in the area just south of the trench where MS13 was. KS3 and 4 ended the battle by punching MG5 full of 9mm to the eyes.

As KS1-4 were making their was back towards where MM4 is marked on your map, KS5 and 6 crawled to near where MS30 is and pumped him full off buckshot with Pancors on full auto. They, too, retreated back to MM4. While waiting for them to turn up, KS1 and 2 went to S20 and snipered off MR5. Another round of looting and storing here for all the nearby bodies. KS1 and 2 then snuck to S21 and waiting while the rest hugged the north wall and snuck along route R1. Their objective was to get inside the bunker at P6 and catch MR7 from behind. At S22, it was determined that they have line of sight to MR7 but it was too risky to open fire there as there is a high chance that most of the buckshot would be wasted on the sand. Proceeding as planned, they reached shooting position S23 and filled MR7 with buckshot from the rear. I believe cries of, "My children!" were involved but that could not be verified. KS1 promptly shot MS20, but in a stroke of battlefield randomness, the shot knocked the mutie out instead. Restealthing, the whole team converged on MS20 where KS1 and 2 took up position at S25 while the rest of the squad beat MS20 to death. The KS3-6 then moved to S24 where they shot MM5 in the eyes. KS1 and 2 only managed to injure MS26, but forced MS23-26 to duck. They then killed MS21 and MG6, both of whom were horribly exposed by their earlier movement when MS22 was killed. SW3-6 restealthed and crawled to S26 where they pumped MS18 full of buckshot.

And that was when the easy stuff ended. The squad has gotten this far without a single mutie actually managing to fire a single shot. Well, shit is about to get real, and they only have leather armour. No, Trent. No one died, you horrible little shit! K-Squad is on our side!

As you can see, MS19 is in an area where any approach is going to reveal sneakers. The only way to approach the bastard safely is to get to S27 overlooking him. The problem is, whoever that is doing that is going to reveal himself to MS23-26 on the walls. KS5 and 6 were detailed to try and take out MS19 as they were the toughest of the squad by a good margin. KS1 and 2 kept a lookout with their sniper rifles and hopefully taking out any mutie before they can open fire. KS4 had her first aid kit ready. It was twitchy for a bit, but success! KS5 and 6 made it to S27 without being detected! They aimed and opened fire with full Pancor bursts and... Over half the shots missed. MS19 survived where MS3, MS30, MS13, MS18 and MR 7 died. And before you can say "What the f-", MS19 fired back. This time, it was MS19 on the receiving end of battlefield bullshit as he missed KS6 altogether and only winged KS5 (lost 20% HP). KS6 promptly killed him and both of the squad members restealthed and got out of there. Another round of looting and storing, and the APC was brought to where MF1 is labelled.

The whole squad assembled at S28, where KS1 took a few potshots at UM1 (minor injury only), causing UM1, UM2 and MS31 to duck. The rest of the squad started sneak crawling on route R2 while KS1 ran back towards S26. Towards the end of R2, the squad split again. KS5 stayed at S31 to keep an eye on MS26 while the rest took the green route until KS3 and 4 split off to go along the blue route. Both pairs took up positions inside the bunker so that KS3 and 4 would shoot at MS27 while KS2 and 6 shot at MS28. KS1 was hanging around S26 by now waiting for his oppportunity. Disaster! KS3 and 4 forgot to flip with Pancor selector to burst mode [yeah, my own bloody fault. I should have checked, which I usually do but not that time for some inexplicable reason]! MS27 survived and fired back, missing KS4 but hitting KS3 (lost about 40-45% HP). KS4 killed him before he could fire another burst. MS26 ran forward towards the bunker and crouched down right in front of KS5 [:lol: it was as if I planned it, but no, I was only expecting him to turn around in place]. MS 23-25 stood up [now, this, I planned for, hence why KS1 is hanging around where he is] and looked towards the revealed squad members. Goodbye, MS23. KS1 snipered him to pieces, followed soon after by KS5 blowing away the injured MS26 with kissing-range Pancor shots.

KS3 and 4 stealthed up and crawled to S32 via the orange route. KS2 and 6 stood up at the south corner of the bunker, safely out of line of sight from MS31 and UM1 and 2 who could all detect them, so no stealthing. KS1 ran back towards S28, but saw MG7 standing up. Well, he wasn't standing for long. KS5 hid in the bunker were MS26 was as he can't stealth (MS24 and 25 has him on radar). By the time KS1 is back at S28, KS3 and 4 were lined up at S32. One forced drop out of combat followed by Aggressive stance on KS3 and 4 kicking in (remember we used Aggressive stance to trigger the bunker ambush where I made my one mistake of the map) later, both MS24 and 25 were dead. KS1 opened fire on UM1 and all three remaining mutants (MS31, UM1 and UM2) dropped prone. KS2 stepped out from behind the wall to the bunker viewport and hosed MS31 with two bursts of Pancor buckshot and ducked behind cover. KS6 did the same and killed MS31. UM1 and UM2 got back up into a crouch and turned to face the bunker. KS1 shot UM1 again while KS3-5 crawled along the orange route. UM2 had enough and got up and ran towards the bunker. UM1 dropped prone. KS2 can't see UM2 from the viewport, so had to run out the bunker entrance a little bit to S29. She only had time to fire off a burst before ducking back into the entrance area. KS6 had time for 2 bursts. UM2 just stood there, probably on Overwatch. KS1 moved forward and shot him in the back before running back across the bridge. UM2 dropped prone and UM1 stood up. Dumb chucklefucks. KS2 promptly finished off UM2 with a Pancor burst and then single shot UM1 (needed the extra range on the single shot mode). KS6 finished him off with three single shots. KS3-5 never got into firing position.

After that, it was looting (including the Enfield at P7) [this was where I discovered that the two melee mutants that died under MG7 was piled one on top of another], storing and finding Talon Squad (P5) and getting out of there (P8). Oh yeah. KS2 couldn't disarm the minefield at MF2, so she shot them all up using her Pancor.

Yes, Hartfield? K-Squad wasn't censured for violating orders. General Barnaky was captured by the muties and taken into the fort. K-Squad witnessed it. Their orders were to perform a search and rescue and they performed one for the general. As per orders.

Now, think on what you learnt there. Dismissed except Trent. You, my boy, are going to be very intimately familiar with the bunker latrines. It is going to be the start of a long and beautiful friendship.

And yes, I forgot all about Burke... He is still there screaming for someone to disarm him :lol:

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane

You need a high Perception stealth guy in first to detect them. Use drugs if you have to. Sneak to the last flight of the stair and start checking them out. Then a sniper team from the top of the stair start taking pot shot at the most vulnerable target and draw them toward the stair. The long stair (with a hidden spotter) can reveal most of them. The ambushing guys with burst weapon can shoot them dead before taking much damage.

some drugs to raise survival rate is called for, like Vodoo.

Mind you the deathclaws is really good at stealth and you are guaranteed to get your teeth kicked in. The design seem to try to get a few of your guys killed, to prepare space for the BG guys in the pool.

This is the last mission before Supermutant appear, and render burst SMG type ineffective, so make the most of it.
Didn't work. My lead guy has 10 Per and still couldn't do it. The problem is not surviving their shots. That is a given. The problem is them using rare ammo (needler and 30.06) :D

Cael

Arcane
By the way, I was looking through some of the earlier comments.

I don't know this for sure, but I have always felt that the damage calculation for FOT is the OPPOSITE of what it was for FO2.

Say you have DT6 and DR50% and you got hit for 40 damage.

In FO2, the calculation is that you take away DT first, then apply DR, which meant you took (40-6)*0.5 = 17 damage.

In FOT, you applied DR first, then took away DT, which meant you took 40*0.5 - 6 = 14 damage.

That is why you get such a big difference in damage between the two when you start encountering armoured things.

By the way, I was looking through some of the earlier comments.

I don't know this for sure, but I have always felt that the damage calculation for FOT is the OPPOSITE of what it was for FO2.

Say you have DT6 and DR50% and you got hit for 40 damage.

In FO2, the calculation is that you take away DT first, then apply DR, which meant you took (40-6)*0.5 = 17 damage.

In FOT, you applied DR first, then took away DT, which meant you took 40*0.5 - 6 = 14 damage.

That is why you get such a big difference in damage between the two when you start encountering armoured things.

Have you looked at the wikis? You should do some testing, and if your results keep happening, I suggest posting it at the FOT modding section in NMA - it would be helpful to modders, and they're the ones that can try to peek under the hood and make sure, maybe.

Cael

Arcane
Have you looked at the wikis? You should do some testing, and if your results keep happening, I suggest posting it at the FOT modding section in NMA - it would be helpful to modders, and they're the ones that can try to peek under the hood and make sure, maybe.
It is just something I noticed. I haven't actually done any verification on it. Just my feeling on the matter.

I don't mind it, to be honest.

The FO2 way made armour less of an impact in battle, virtually zero with the right weapons. For example, if you are using the CAWS and have the Sniper perk, you basically ignore all armour. DR gets reduced to 0 on a crit, and the weapon penetrate perk reduced DT by 80%. BAM! Even powered armour only take away 2-3 points from whatever damage you take. Even if you don't have those, you always do damage to someone unless they do so little damage that your DT absorbs everything.

In FOT, crits don't automatically take away DR and DT has a far greater impact. You can do zero damage because DT is effectively multiplied by DR. A 50% DR with 15 DT is effectively 30 DT in the FO2 system. A 90% DR is basically 150 DT. That is why you get hunting rifles plinking off turrets in Preoria, while you can use hunting rifles to kill Enclave patrols in FO2.

Frozen

Arcane
I remember playing this like an arcade shooter-4 deathclaws as an extra place to carry loot, a medic and my character as the only one do the killing and clearing maps.
It was fun if you ignore tactic element that is broken and clunky.

Cael

Arcane
I remember playing this like an arcade shooter-4 deathclaws as an extra place to carry loot, a medic and my character as the only one do the killing and clearing maps.
It was fun if you ignore tactic element that is broken and clunky.
:nocountryforshitposters:

giphy.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom