Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout: Wasteland Warfare - official tabletop miniatures game

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll just leave this here.

fo-promo-scene-a-layout-a-no-background-black-text-low-res-orig_orig.png

FALLOUT: WASTELAND WARFARE - The tabletop miniatures game coming soon!

http://www.modiphius.com/fallout.html

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, shame it uses Bethesduh's shitty models. The fuck, they look like they could be from any generic sci-fi Halo-inspired shit.
Also shame that buying any of them would mean giving money to Bethesda.

At some point I was thinking of doing some 3D models and print them for the original Fallout Warfare (that came with Fallout Tictacs) but obviously it didn't get anywhere and probably couldn't find anyone to play with anyway.
But maybe I should do them just to have them as miniatures.

Severian Silk

I think I will be buying several sets, just to help me remember all the great things Bethesda did for the Fallout franchise!

Shame about Bethesda's models. Modiphius tends to publish good stuff (Mutant: Year Zero, Achtung! Cthulhu, Mutant Chronicles 3rd) so I'll keep an eye on this in case they also release an RPG. Not interested in buying more plastic crack, though; I've already got a Warhammer Fantasy army gathering dust.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/42655/bethesda-softworks-fallout-adapted-role-playing-games

BETHESDA SOFTWORKS' 'FALLOUT' ADAPTED FOR ROLE PLAYING GAMES
From Modiphius Entertainment
Posted by William Niebling on March 6, 2019 @ 1:26 pm CT

Modiphius Entertainment will produce two role playing games based on Bethesda Softworks hit Fallout series. The first, the Fallout: Wasteland Warfare Roleplaying Game Expansion, will be based on Modiphius’ own miniatures game and will release this summer. A second, as-yet-unnamed game will release in 2020.
The Fallout: Wasteland Warfare Roleplaying Game Expansion will be a hybrid product that can be used as a role playing expansion for the miniatures game (see “Modiphius Preps ‘Fallout: Wasteland Warfare’”) or separately as a stand-alone role playing game. The book, written by Fallout: Wasteland Warfare’s designer James Sheahan, will expand on the narrative aspects of the miniatures game, including rules for creating characters and writing adventures.

In addition, the book includes background information on the locations and factions that appear in the game, a campaign of three linked adventures that are also suitable as stand alone scenarios, and recommendations for game masters who want to run a campaign in the Fallout world. Along with the book itself, buyers will get access to digital files including a pdf copy of the book and character and weapon cards from the miniatures game that are needed to play the role playing game.

The game is intended for groups with 1 game master and up to 6 players, ages 14 and up. MSRP has not been announced.

Modiphius plans to release a standard “Sole Survivor” edition as well as an upgraded “Vault Tec Collector’s Edition.” A complete boxed set is also in the works, releasing in the holiday season.
Next year, the company will release a completely separate role playing game built on its 2d20 System, the system used in Infinity: The Roleplaying Game, Star Trek Adventures, and Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of. This system is currently in development under the lead of Sam Webb (Star Trek Adventures).

"Bethesda Softworks' Fallout"

:dead:

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/42655/bethesda-softworks-fallout-adapted-role-playing-games

BETHESDA SOFTWORKS' 'FALLOUT' ADAPTED FOR ROLE PLAYING GAMES
From Modiphius Entertainment
Posted by William Niebling on March 6, 2019 @ 1:26 pm CT

Modiphius Entertainment will produce two role playing games based on Bethesda Softworks hit Fallout series. The first, the Fallout: Wasteland Warfare Roleplaying Game Expansion, will be based on Modiphius’ own miniatures game and will release this summer. A second, as-yet-unnamed game will release in 2020.
The Fallout: Wasteland Warfare Roleplaying Game Expansion will be a hybrid product that can be used as a role playing expansion for the miniatures game (see “Modiphius Preps ‘Fallout: Wasteland Warfare’”) or separately as a stand-alone role playing game. The book, written by Fallout: Wasteland Warfare’s designer James Sheahan, will expand on the narrative aspects of the miniatures game, including rules for creating characters and writing adventures.

In addition, the book includes background information on the locations and factions that appear in the game, a campaign of three linked adventures that are also suitable as stand alone scenarios, and recommendations for game masters who want to run a campaign in the Fallout world. Along with the book itself, buyers will get access to digital files including a pdf copy of the book and character and weapon cards from the miniatures game that are needed to play the role playing game.

The game is intended for groups with 1 game master and up to 6 players, ages 14 and up. MSRP has not been announced.

Modiphius plans to release a standard “Sole Survivor” edition as well as an upgraded “Vault Tec Collector’s Edition.” A complete boxed set is also in the works, releasing in the holiday season.
Next year, the company will release a completely separate role playing game built on its 2d20 System, the system used in Infinity: The Roleplaying Game, Star Trek Adventures, and Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of. This system is currently in development under the lead of Sam Webb (Star Trek Adventures).

"Bethesda Softworks' Fallout"

:dead:
Well, what'd you expect? They are the current owners of the intellectual property.

Ali Assa Seen

Arbiter
From watching some Battle reports of Wasteland Warfare I have to say I'm not overly impressed with it. The game looks overly fiddly (yet not intricate) in an ham fisted attempt to make a tabletop version of a crpg's mechanics, and it comes out mutilated as a result. I guess if that is what you want, a tabletop version of Fallout - with all the Nuka Cola trappings, it works somewhat, but there are much better post-apoc miniature games out there that you can easily make the Fallout setting work in. This Is Not a Test being the first to spring to mind.

I would also recommend staying clear of those miniatures, they are PVC in the cheaper sets and constantly need to be put into warm water to repose them. Brother Vinni does some nice Fallout models, a tad on the pricey side and he does rotate the range every so often but they do the job.

Inb4 someone does Classic Fallout :obviously: conversions:

- Classic Leather Armor
- Classic Metal Armor
- Propa T51b
- Classic Super Mutants (complete with those cords to hold their thick lips)
- Classic Enclave

There are models far closer to the old fallout aesthetic than those, so conversions would be far easier. In addition to the aforementioned Brother Vinni there is also Copplestone, EM4, and Moonraker Miniatures (it's all from the same range with some resculpts) that do raiders and tribals, with various figures in metal and leather armour that could work as a stand in. Crooked Dice have released a few wasteland sets, too, so they have some stuff but more in the Mad Max style. Really the one thing missing decent models are the old Super Mutants, which might be best done with converting some Orks with Ogre heads, perhaps?

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
in related News, anyone played this?

Fallout by Fantasy Flight Games

looks way more enjoyable to me than a Fallout wargame.

If you've played it, does it use S.P.E.C.I.A.L/ is there something like a Charisma stat? If so, what does it do?

The higher it goes the more caps you get from trade.

Disclaimer: I just made that up.

that's kind of what I would expect. No scratch that, that already sounds too complex.

Rephrasing the question: what kind of "interactions" can you have in the game? Or is it basically combat/ skill use only?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
81cgkaeV9WL._SY88.jpg

Tiny pic for Tiny Todd.

Amazon review:

Played 3 games so far, two solo and one with 2 players. I can say the games last a LONG time. Minimum 2 hours from what i've played and will more than likely last longer but that's not technically a bad thing as long as you're having a good time.

Pretty easy to learn and I love how the instruction manuals are set up. 1 to learn the basics and then another for all the rule references. Lots of pictures and examples to help explain as well. The minis are very detailed and look great. There are 5 character classes to choose from and each has a different starting card which makes them all play really differently.

There is a TON of variety for multiple playthroughs. Firstly there are 4 scenario cards, so 4 different all encompassing scenarios (worlds) to choose from that set up different from one another. Beyond that you have a number of hidden tiles that you mix up and place down without seeing, so each game regardless of scenario will be varied as far as which tiles you discover where. On top of that when you draw quest or encounter cards, depending on what decision you make out of the usual 3 choices on each card will determine what other quests cards you place. And there are over 150 different quest and encounter cards to choose from. Lots of branches in this tree.

The leveling up aspect is very well done and fun and there is a shop to use caps to buy upgrades and status effects like getting addicted to chems or vilified plus more. These little effects will have an effect on quests as well.

For the most part I really love this game however there are a few factors about it that I don't much care for. The game starts out VERY exciting as the majority of each map (scenario) is hidden so you have to explore to start uncovering tiles and locations. However once you eventually get all the tiles explored and flipped, the mystery dies a little and with it, the fun....but just a little. By this point of the game (probably an hour or more in) you will hopefully already be super deep into a quest line and have some idea on what you need to do to get those last few remaining influence points to win.

Which brings me to the next downside, the win condition. To win you need to acquire a certain number of influence points throughout the game based on how many players there are. For a 2 player game it's 10. You can acquire influence mostly by completing quests but there are a few other ways to get it. Each influence card you have is worth 1 influence point but the catch is, you can only have a total of 4 influence cards in your inventory. So then it comes down to utilizing the text on the influence cards to try and maximize the amount of influence you get per card based on whatever it reads on a particular card.

Most commonly this would boil down to supporting one of the two other factions that are included in the particular scenario you picked. Here's the catch, when you support the AI faction, USUALLY they will gain influence as well and if they gain enough, they can win and you lose. SO it's an interesting balance game that you need to play in order to make sure they stay on top BUT not too far on top. Basically just enough to help you win.

So for me the second half of the game isn't as much fun as the first half when you are exploring. That's not to say that the second half is bad, it's just different. Which brings me to my next point, the enemies and fighting. As you travel around discovering tiles you will also unlock enemies of all kinds which you can fight to gain experience and loot, which is always a welcome thing. The thing is, the enemies never REALLY die. Once you kill one you replace the enemy tile with another facedown inactive enemy tile. So it lingers inactive till the enemy phase which activates it, which could be a few turns depending on if that enemy type is chosen.

This isn't a terrible thing....until the later half of the game when you have all tiles exposed and around 15 enemies chasing you all over the board. At that point you can never linger too long in one spot as they can and will gang up on you. I can see why this mechanic is the way it is though, if you get to that point of the game and you still haven't won, more than likely one of the two factions is about win. It's like the game wants to end and ramps up the difficulty the longer you play. Of course this for me was about 3 or so hours in.

My favorite thing about the game by FAR is the sheer amount of story and quest cards with so many different decisions. The flavor text on each card is amazing and when one gets drawn, the person to your right reads it and your options.....but not the consequences..........freaking awesome. So you have to go with your gut and pick what you think you would actually do......and hope it turns out to be the right choice.

2/19/18 Update -- Have played many many more games with varying group sizes and this game is still very fun. The only downside I can point out would be the win condition which needs a bit of tweaking. Also posted another photo of the minis the game comes with. Note that I have painted them myself and they do not come painted.

---

Like Arkham Horror except retarded.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
yeah I've read that review. Mechanics remain obscure. Maybe some Kodexer has actually played it.

I like the "enemies can be fugged for XP and loot but will remain active" thing. Kind of allowing for and yet containing the grind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom