Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Fantasy Flight Games/Games Workshop partnership ends in 2017

Caim

Arcane
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-path-forward/

In 2008, Fantasy Flight Games first began publishing great games set in the amazing Games Workshop universes. From the earliest days of the partnership, Games Workshop played a key role in the Fantasy Flight Games library, helping us further develop roleplaying games like Dark Heresy and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, while creating and establishing new board games like Chaos in the Old World and Forbidden Stars, and Living Card Games® such as Warhammer 40,000: Conquest and Warhammer: Invasion.

Games Workshop has been a fantastic partner for the past eight years, and we’re thrilled that we had the opportunity to work together and bring so many new and exciting games into the world. As much as we have enjoyed creating these games, our current licensing term is coming to an end.

Beginning February 28th, 2017, Fantasy Flight Games will no longer offer for sale any games in conjunction with Games Workshop, including Talisman and all games taking place in the Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40,000 universes.

We’re extremely grateful to our friends at Games Workshop for giving us the opportunity to play in the worlds that they created, and we wish them nothing but the best in their future endeavors.

For more details, please keep reading in the FAQ below.

What is the timeframe for the conclusion of the business relationship?
All upcoming products for Games Workshop-licensed games have already been announced and will be released in upcoming months. All Games Workshop-licensed product lines will leave the Fantasy Flight Games catalog on February 28th, 2017.

What does this mean for Fantasy Flight Games products created from Games Workshop properties?
As stated above, after February 28th, 2017, product lines dealing with Games Workshop properties will end and will no longer be offered for sale by Fantasy Flight Games.

All upcoming products for these product lines have already been announced—there will be no new announcements of additional Games Workshop-licensed products. All announced, currently unreleased products will be released before the conclusion of the business relationship between Fantasy Flight Games and Games Workshop.

The full list of product lines leaving the Fantasy Flight Games catalog is:

Black Crusade
Blood Bowl: Team Manager
Chaos in the Old World
Chaos Marauders
Dark Heresy
Dark Heresy Second Edition
Deathwatch
Forbidden Stars
Fury of Dracula
Only War
Relic
Rogue Trader
Space Hulk: Death Angel
Talisman
Warhammer: Diskwars
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
Warhammer: Invasion The Card Game
Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game
Warhammer 40,000: Conquest
• All Fantasy Flight Supply products showing imagery licensed to Games Workshop

What does this mean for Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Organized Play?
Organized Play support for Warhammer 40,000: Conquest will conclude this year at the Fantasy Flight Games World Championships. After the 2016 World Championships, there will be no Organized Play support for Warhammer 40,000: Conquest.

Retailers: All pre-orders for Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Store Championship Kits and Quarter 1 Tournament Kits have been canceled. These kits have been discontinued and will not be released. Retailers will not be charged for these kits.

A shame. The board games were pretty good from what I've read and the RPGs were an interesting bunch.

Caim

Arcane
The exact reason why is unclear though. Rumors range from the license not being renewed, FFG wanting to get into the miniature business themselves (and GW not wanting to help the competition), GW wanting to go another direction with their franchises, and FFG having drunk deeply from the Kool-Aid and not wanting anything to do with GW anymore. On one hand this last one is unlikely, but on the other hand FFG currently employs Leigh Alexander.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
In 2008, Fantasy Flight Games first began publishing great games set in the amazing Games Workshop universes.

szzANHn.gif

Baron Dupek

Arcane
When I saw "Fantasy Flight" I though it will be about that game where you can fight against flying teapot.
28069-flying-heroes-windows-screenshot-hundreds-of-other-games-let.jpg

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In 2008, Fantasy Flight Games first began publishing great games set in the amazing Games Workshop universes.

szzANHn.gif

So basically, apart from their RPG line, many FFG GW licensed board game were pretty good (Chaos in the Old World was excellent).
I think GW going back to publishing board games makes their partnership quite redundant.
If only they went back to packaging them as in the old days, with miniatures that do not require days to assemble...

Black_Willow

Arcane
Diskwars was a good budget substitute for miniature games and Warhammer Quest card game was a nice, challenging co-op that needed expansions but it won't get any. Shame.

Destroid

Arcane
Disk Wars looks pretty cool, although the mechanics look better suited to 40k which doesn't have so much reliance on facing as fantasy does. Pretty shocked that GW would allow something so close to regular tabletop to be published.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Bad news,heard good stuff about Chaos in the Old World and Forbidden Stars

Wait,Fury of Dracula was a GW game?Damn,now I will have to get one soon

Last edited:

WarHamster

Augur
Patron
Hmm, I wonder what this means for Dark heresy series.
Most probably it means The End for DH (and other 40K RPG lines). That is, unless GW grants the 40K RPG license to someone else, but I doubt they'll bother with RPGs anymore. GW hasn't shown much interest for real RPGs in a long while. In any case, FFG won't release new DH stuff and the old stuff will be OOP soon - so if you want it, get it while you can (and before the "leechers" hike the prices sky high).

Myself, I still lament the slow and inglorious death of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. The 3rd edition monstrosity which FFG published was a terrible misstep, a foolish attempt to move WFRP from a "traditional" P&P RPG to something of a RPG/Boardgame/Clusterfuck hybrid. All that it achieved was to doom WFRP to oblivion. Now GW can point at its failure and proclaim WFRP dead. Not that there is anything good left in the Warhammer Fantasy world any longer anyhow, what with the colossally stupid End Times/Age of Sigmar crap that's floating around nowdays. *shudder*

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Man, I can't get a copy of the Polish version of Chaos in the Old World: Horned Rat expansion. Everywhere it's sold out, but I think it might have been long before.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
There was a potato version of Chaos in the Old World?I am impressed,didn't know Poland had such a large customer base:thumbsup:

BTW I decided to check ebay for the lulz and prices seem pretty high already

Chaos if the Old World goes for 68 euros but shipping from Australia so the shipping cost will probably be higher than the game,it also goes for 160+ euros from the UK ,the retail price was 60 lol

Fury of Dracula 3rd edition starts from 85 euros when the retail price was 60

Forbidden Stars is sold for just 58 euros from Spain,this guy didn't get the memo it seems,others are selling around 100,near the retail price

I wonder how much these things will cost in 6 months

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
There was a potato version of Chaos in the Old World?I am impressed,didn't know Poland had such a large customer base:thumbsup:
D&D never made it big in Poland. Over there the concept of the fantasy tabletop RPG is synonymous with Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, so I imagine that games based on Warhammer Fantasy are pretty big there as well.

Andhaira

Arcane

szzANHn.gif

The WH40K line was (and is) pretty good though, at least from what I read online. I only own the Dark Heresy line, and in that 1e was great, while I hear 2e is a worthy successor, though plenty prefer 1e. No one really says 2e sucks though (except a few holdouts like yourself); one of the main points of contention is that 1e people wanted 1e style careers in 2e. I haven't played 2e yet so I can't judge.

The remainder of the WH40K line gets a lot of praise also, though I myself don't care for it as I don't care about playing Rogue Trader or Space Marines.

FFG does need to be crucified for what they did to WFRP 3e*, though 2e is still out there and a fine game so people can still play that.

edit:* and what they are doing to Star Wars

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The WH40K line was (and is) pretty good though

Was and isn't. The only thing except DH 1st ed that isn't terrible is Rogue Trader (and arguably Deathwatch if you're into that kind of thing) - everything after Rogue Trader, including all the completely tarded later splatbooks for DH, is best left unspoken.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
At least they commissioned lots of nice illustrations. Not defining art as Blanche, but certainly fulfilling their purpose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom