Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 2 - opinions?

Divinity: Original Sin
Clockwork Knight said:

First video is ok, though there's suspicion arousement.

but the second is fail. Garrett disaproves. Explosions? Noisy guns? getting hit and spotted?

Real stealth is being silent and invisible. And if possible, AVOID confrontation.

If you wanted avoiding-combat stealth instead of kill-while-unseen sealth, you probably wouldn't be playing a shooter to begin with. But you could try and get past the trash enemies (they'll respawn in a minute anyway. r00fles!) for the missions that don't consist of "kill everyone", I guess.

Abhay

Augur
Sorry for the bump

I came across this amazing video dedicated to the game and thought it was worth watching for the codex.

Aesthetics of Far Cry 2

Naraya

Arcane
I finished the game yesterday. I admit I didn't get out of my way to find all the diamonds (I think I've found ~100 suitcases) or scout all the camps. That's because in general I'm not the achievement kinda guy (TBH I despise achievements in games for various reasons) - not because it was unfun or something like that.

I really enjoyed the game. Both graphic and gameplay wise it really did age well. There are some unique mechanics that are fun and add to the overall feel (eg. weapon jamming).

I have no idea why majority of people complain about the malaria mechanic. To me it had a negligible effect and just by playing the game I had ample supply of antimalaria pills...

Falksi

Arcane
I hate the Far Cry franchize in general, it's feels really fucking cheap, but I had a blast with 2.

There's just something about the atmosphere and world which really clicked with me. Had an underlying sense of realism to it.

Never finished it because of bugs wrecking the things though, but have played it up to around the 80-90% mark 3 times.

Last edited:

RapineDel

Augur
Nice to see some positive comments about this game.

I've never played FC1 but 2 really immersed me in terms of it feeling like I was in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of crazy mercenaries out to get me.

The open world design was also subtle enough that planning my way into enemy camps felt like I was genuinely coming up with my own ideas and I wasn't essentially following the arrows to a convenient hole in the back entrance no one was guarding.

Far Cry 3 onwards are just boring amusement parks designed around you getting a dopamine hit every time you find something useless every couple of meters, all designed around your eyes being glued to your mini map.

The series started out promising but now basically has no identity aside from being a cooking pot for Ubisoft to throw in random ideas that they can then take and use in other franchises if they work.

Casual Hero

Augur
It was very fun for me to mess around in, but it does grow a bit old with the respawning enemies. I'll probably play it again at some point.

Sarathiour

Cipher
I hate the Far Cry franchize in general, it's feels really fucking cheap, but I had a blast with 2.

There's just something about the atmosphere and world which really clicked with me. Had an underlying sense of realism to it.

Never finished because of bugs wrecking the things though, but have played it up to around the 80-90% mark 3 times.

Ending is unfortunately pretty garbage, it's a lame bossfight with ton of health, and then proceed to offer you the choice between suicide and suicide.

Far cry 1 was a nice shooter with at least barebone stealth mechanics and camp attack that offer quite a few possibility. I never finished it because the last level is way harder than the rest of the game. The setting was also original at that time.

Far cry 2 does many things right, gunplay is alright, weapon jamming add a bit of spice to the encounter, and the game offer diverse possibility to camp assault, like bushfire or bait and trap. Also, they were attention given to detail : if you maim someone during a gunfight, one of his friend might try to take him back to cover and heal him, or he will try to crawl to safety, and defend himself with a pistol if you approach him afterward.
It also got serious issues : the diamond chase is retarded and get old very fast, camp that respawn at the speed of light, and the faction system is a joke. I think that at least half the playerbase did not even notice that there allegedly a reputation system.

schru

Arcane
The original Far Cry was a very good shooter and was quite different from the later instalments made by a different developer. The levels were fairly open-ended, but they were still designed around carefully prepared set pieces and encounters, and the amount of ‘realism’ in how the shooting, movement, and damage were balanced was quite satisfying, making for an unusually challenging game as far as most shooters go.

The later games have so little in common with the original that they're definitely not a legitimate continuation. Crysis wasn't particularly good either. Far Cry 2 does seem interesting given the setting and the way attacks on bases are, but I couldn't get into it when I tried it. It had a bunch of annoying console design elements, the combat wasn't as interesting and intense and resembled console shooters more, the stealth seemed to work even worse, the side-missions (which I think were required to some degree) were that kind of formulaic fake gameplay, the check-points with respawning enemies were very annoying, and the way the open world was laid out felt artificial and probably wasn't very different from the later ‘theme parks’, save for having a more serious tone.

JDR13

Arcane
I've only played the first 3 games, but I thought Far Cry 2 was the worst by far. The destructible buildings seem cool until you realize they respawn as soon as you leave the area.

Crysis wasn't particularly good either.

It's better than the Far Cry games.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I think that at least half the player base did not even notice that there allegedly a reputation system.
I finished the game several times and it is the first time I hear that it has a reputation system

It has absolutely no effect whatsoever and randomly go up and down, but if you check your menu/note, it's here.

Nope, it has an effect the higher your reputation the better your enemies are equipped also it affects combat chatter and supposedly even enemy AI gets better.
Though your reputation simply increases automatically just by doing main missions so it's really just a number to track your progress in the story.

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Dodo1610 is spot on:

Reputation is a "passive" but notable statistic. Each time the player completes a faction mission (whether it be done through the Buddy's way or not), or a buddy mission, their reputation increases. This means that APR and UFLL troops step up their game to be better prepared against the player: they have better firearms, snipers may replace their rifles with rocket launchers or mortars, and troops install heavier weaponry on their vehicles (such as replacing the M249 on Assault Trucks to .50 Cals or grenade launchers).

There are five levels of reputation, and they each have noticeable effects not just on enemy awareness, but on their behavior as well. Initially, the player character starts off with a low reputation. Soldiers in ceasefire zones will often harshly remind him of the rules, will make snide remarks as he passes by, threaten the player if he walks into a restricted area, and even push him around should the player agitate a soldier. When in combat, enemies will chatter amongst themselves as to who the player character may be, and goad him into revealing himself.

However, with a higher reputation, soldiers in ceasefire zones will be much friendlier and lenient with the player character, often greeting him. In combat, enemies will begin to become flustered and scared, even going as far as to break down and fear for their lives. Sometimes, though rarely, they also perform tactical retreat, and try flanking the player from a distance.

Source: https://farcry.fandom.com/wiki/Reputation

Sarathiour

Cipher
Well my bad then, i thought weapon enemy progression were just tied to your progression in the storyline. Also, it reset when you unlock the second map, because ??? .

Also, the wiki itself state that the system is pretty hazy.

In the end, it's like a lot of things in far cry 2 : good idea, bad execution.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Glad to see this game still getting discussed, it's one of my favorite shooters ever. It's tough to argue objectively against a lot of the most common complaints of FC2, but for me the game's "flaws" are essential to its character. I think anyone looking for a casual AAA shooter experience was disappointed in FC2, as were fans of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or other more "realistic" "immersive" shooters, since FC2 - despite all the talk of "realism" is pretty arcadey and certainly doesn't have the systems depth of more realistic shooters. It still demands a lot more from the player than most mainstream shooters did, even back then (at least on Infamous difficulty, which I recently replayed on) but lacks a real ballistics system, survival mechanics etc. It sits in a weird middle ground between different types of games. I really like where it sits.

I think a lot of FC2's "realistic" mechanics got blown way out of proportion. Certainly stuff like respawning guard posts, the healing animations, guns with their ejection ports on their wrong sides etc. isn't really realistic at all - more like a fever dream of reality (makes sense) that really sets the overall tone. Respawning guardposts in particular might get really old but on the other hand contributed to some of the best moments of my time with the game - clearing out a couple guardposts on my way to a mission objective, shit goes sideways on the mission and I end up having to fight my way back through the posts on low health after burning through my ammo and syringes. Always sold me on that desperate feeling. And I'll always have love for all the world details like your merc buddies, the computer interface for buying guns, and the weapon arsenal itself which was GREAT.

Not really a game I want to sit down and play for long periods of time - it's a little repetitive for that. But it's a game where most days I'd have no problem sitting down and giving it 45 minutes. I'll always come back to this one. So much good stuff that was never properly iterated on.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I was going to play FC2 but I had just burned out on FC4 (which i had played before FC3) and FC3 and couldn't bring myself to do it. Recently tried FC5 but it was so simplified and dumbed down compared to all that came before that I just couldn't stomach it. I suppose changing options in the HUD settings to make it less hand-holdy would have helped but I just couldn't muster the enthusiasm to do it, so I played Ghost Recon Wildlands instead. I'm so over Far Cry.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I was going to play FC2 but I had just burned out on FC4 (which i had played before FC3) and FC3 and couldn't bring myself to do it. Recently tried FC5 but it was so simplified and dumbed down compared to all that came before that I just couldn't stomach it.

I just finished FC3 on the hardest setting and it was a joke difficulty-wise. I've only played a little of the later ones. They're in my library for when I get the itch. Far Cry post-2 is a guilty pleasure of mine. Gives me the same feeling as eating Taco Bell. The wannabe edgy writing and terrible scripted story missions are always a treat. Haven't gotten around to FC5 yet but hard to imagine it could be MORE dumbed-down than FC3. FC3 is the most reactionary game I've ever played - every common complaint regarding FC2 has been massively and hilariously over-compensated for. A theme park providing some dumb fun but none of the cool ideas, immersion and grittiness FC2 at its best delivers.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Okay I gotta talk about more things I adore about FC2.

Graphics - Yeah, textures, animations etc. are pretty of their time but the same is so subtly stylized that I still love looking at it. Played it at 4K DSR on my 1080p monitor and it was like seeing the game for the first time again. If only the PC version didn't bug out running higher than 60 fps...

AI and stealth - Stealth is tricky especially compared to later FC titles. No takedown mechanics or enemy tagging and only a couple silenced weapons. If you don't land those headshots you're going to put everyone on alert. I usually lack the patience for stealth and end up going loud. Enemy AI isn't magical - break line of sight and they won't track you, although they'll try to flush you out, head you off, rush your position. This leads to a lot of hit-and-run tactics and use of terrain and cover. Pitched firefights in FC2 really make me feel like a guerilla warrior - the promise of the later games that they never really deliver on. Enemy AI can be pretty janky, but when it all comes together it's sublime.

Resources - Ammo/explosives/stims aren't hard to find, but you can't carry much. As you raise the difficulty you can carry even less - I think two spare AR mags and three syringes on the toughest setting, until you get upgrades. Running dry in a firefight is a real danger. You're not worrying about long-term resource management, only short-term - it works really well for the kind of game FC2 is, and creates a cool "living off the land" feel.

Buddy system - As others have mentioned, buddies as respawn mechanic is genius. The cooldown period after they bail you out really adds to tension if you can resist savescumming (PC version lets you save anytime, not sure if console versions were the same. I try to save only at safe houses). It's a simple system but I can't believe it hasn't been copied - I haven't seen something like this in any other game I've played.

The FC3 developers' refusal to iterate and improve on everything that made FC2 unique - instead trying to act like the game never existed - was probably just bad for FPS games in general.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Far Cry 3 had my favorite ending ever in an open world game. But I took the "death-by-bad-girl" ending so... YMMV, if you decide to rescue your friends.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I was going to play FC2 but I had just burned out on FC4 (which i had played before FC3) and FC3 and couldn't bring myself to do it. Recently tried FC5 but it was so simplified and dumbed down compared to all that came before that I just couldn't stomach it.

I just finished FC3 on the hardest setting and it was a joke difficulty-wise. I've only played a little of the later ones. They're in my library for when I get the itch. Far Cry post-2 is a guilty pleasure of mine. Gives me the same feeling as eating Taco Bell. The wannabe edgy writing and terrible scripted story missions are always a treat. Haven't gotten around to FC5 yet but hard to imagine it could be MORE dumbed-down than FC3. FC3 is the most reactionary game I've ever played - every common complaint regarding FC2 has been massively and hilariously over-compensated for. A theme park providing some dumb fun but none of the cool ideas, immersion and grittiness FC2 at its best delivers.

Okay I gotta talk about more things I adore about FC2.

AI and stealth - Stealth is tricky especially compared to later FC titles. No takedown mechanics or enemy tagging and only a couple silenced weapons.

I liked the stealth mechanics of FC3/F4. It's no Thief/Splinter Cell but I liked them. Never played FC2 so can't compare. But a very strong memory I have of FC4 (which I played about 6 years ago) was sneaking into a camp very early in the game that was rated at maximum difficulty and succeeding... the whole satisfying risk vs reward thing. Takedown mechanics are a blast. However, the tagging enemies thing is disgusting and extremely immersion-breaking and feels like an extreme form of cheating so i agree with you there. I will probably never play FC2 because of what I hear about re-spawning and no acceptable method of QoL fast travel. Days Gone did a fairly decent job with the latter, at least in early game, since its Fast Travel system used up some of your fuel resources. I tend to agree with what someone said earlier about FC2 needing a modding scene to remove some of these annoyances. Fuck you, Ubisoft, and your hardcoded ball-clamps.

Sarathiour

Cipher
AI and stealth - Stealth is tricky especially compared to later FC titles. No takedown mechanics or enemy tagging and only a couple silenced weapons. If you don't land those headshots you're going to put everyone on alert. I usually lack the patience for stealth and end up going loud. Enemy AI isn't magical - break line of sight and they won't track you, although they'll try to flush you out, head you off, rush your position. This leads to a lot of hit-and-run tactics and use of terrain and cover. Pitched firefights in FC2 really make me feel like a guerilla warrior - the promise of the later games that they never really deliver on. Enemy AI can be pretty janky, but when it all comes together it's sublime.

This is probably my favorite thing about the game.
Having a partial stealth approach is rewarding, but probably never enough to clean out a whole camp. Guerilla warfare was also very satisfying, i pulled out nifty thing with explosive pack and molotov. Only thing that pissed me off is that sometimes a patrol barge with a jeep and proceed to roll over you despite the fact you're nowhere close to the road.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom