Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry New Dawn - is now an RPG

racofer

Thread Incliner
OJog9Pg.png

That was fast. What is the point of Denuvo again?

Dodo1610

Arcane
Honestly, FC New dawn is maybe the most fun game in the series. The difficulty has increased and you now often fight a lot more enemies at the same time than in previous games. The bases are now smaller which makes stealth more challenging which makes repeating them to get resources for crafting more fun. Especially the expeditions are really great side activities.
Can't really say whether I like the new crafting system since it replaced the gun customization. This means that you are forced to try out different guns but I still miss having a few options like a decent low-level pistol or an endgame double barrel shotgun.
I have to admit I'm surprised that the game looks this much better than FC5 the VFX effects and the flora look a lot better than before.
Though there is barely any lipsync or cutscenes which makes the game feel cheap.
Sadly that comes at the cost of the game's narrative which is entirely forgettable. Even the 2 villains are just boring.
I enjoy the game as a hardcore fan of the series but I can only recommend it to people that have played through and enjoyed the predecessor.

Just finished this. Is kind of fun, with bases, expeditions, etc being varied.
But the main plot is bethesda level stupid.

The twins and their gang are probably the least intimidating postapo faction you will ever meet, but we are supposed to act scared around them or something.
And the MC is forced to do some of the dumbest shit I've seen towards the end.
Baddies abduct your friend? Ok let's get there and disable some traps to release regular hostages. Then the twins ask you to walk into a room alone, with no guns, handcuff yourself (while they were unarmed themselves and could have fought them off). oops, they kill your friend in front of you :argh:

Codex Year of the Donut
Only later, after undertaking a quest to recover a book of Joseph Seed's writings will you be allowed in, again by the masked figure. Joseph Seed's son is running things in Eden's Gate, and later the masked figure, known as The Judge, will become one of your companions.
are the companions actual combat companions?

Only later, after undertaking a quest to recover a book of Joseph Seed's writings will you be allowed in, again by the masked figure. Joseph Seed's son is running things in Eden's Gate, and later the masked figure, known as The Judge, will become one of your companions.
are the companions actual combat companions?
Yes, and they "level" by killing stuff, getting new skills. In normal diffculty you cas solo it no problems (what I did). But there are a couple of bullshit point were they come in handy, like the last fight against the twins, who for a couple of skinny bitches in motor sport armor can take an unholy amount of .50 cal to the face.
My favourite companion is a giant hog.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
My favorite is FC4. After that, Primal.
New Dawn is cool too but the antagonists are cringy.
As for companions, I use Timber because he marks enemies and loot. And for perk farming I just go to the Broken Forge outpost, call Horatio (maxed out) and he alone takes out all the enemies. Sure he goes down once in a while but due to his perk, he gets up again after 10 ore 15 seconds.
Also, farming the airplane (Paladin airplane from Blacklist) for resources.
I also like the upgradeable perks and weapons. I hope they combine this with Primal's systems for their next game, as well as bringing back hunting, skinning, crafting, grenade, vehicle, wingsuit takedowns from 4.
And this is why FC is my preferred franchise now, by Ubisoft, because they didn't get the whatever formula they were going after as they did with AC for example, and this, in turn allows them to experiment, try new stuff, leading to improvements. Whereas AC, WD, GRWL\BP, they're all the same game, just set in different time periods with essentially the same mechanics and online elements.
Not even going to mention SC and PoP, those are dead. Although, some things have been happening lately with the PoP IP.

Codex Year of the Donut
Of all the newer titles I've played, this easily has some of the best performance. Most new games run like shit.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Imagine enjoying Ubisoft's openworld checklist simulators. "Runs well" is probably the only good thing about them.

Codex Year of the Donut
Finished the story and all quests, probably took about 18 hours but I kept leaving the origin client open and steam tracked that so it's a guess.
Not a bad little game. Combat is fun. There's probably replay there if you like shooty shooties.

Watching the companions/named NPCs interact with each other in Prosperity, it was above what you'd see in a lot of RPGs tbh.
also, Horatio is the best companion once you get further into the story and enemies start wearing armor.
The storyline involving New Eden was 100x more interesting than anything involving the ...I don't even remember their name and I just finished it. That's how boring the raiders or whatever they are were.

I'd have liked to have seen more interesting post-apoc weapon designs like the saw launcher.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom