Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Fargo being serious about crowdfunding Wasteland 2

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Zed, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    Tags: Brian Fargo; Wasteland; Wasteland 2

Brian Fargo recently posted the following couple of tweets on his twitter:

Pondering bringing Wasteland back through this crowdfunding. It's a world I have longed to work with again.

and moments later

Very encouraging to see all the love for a new Wasteland. Crowdfunding might be the perfect way to make it a reality...

Matt 'Matt Chat' Barton followed up on this, with Fargo confirming his interest in the idea of crowdfunding a sequel to the predecessor to Fallout:

"I thought you all might be interested to know we are seriously looking at bringing a new Wasteland back with crowdsource funding. If we get enough support it could finally happen. Nothing would make me happier."

Fargo's Wasteland 2 vs. Avellone's RPG. Who will start a funding project first? Who will raise the most money? Place your bets.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Chuck Norris Learned

Chuck Norris
    Don't understand the appeal for Wasteland II. Wasteland itself wasn't a true classic to begin with and most people know the game because of the fact that it inspired Fallout. I'm not saying it was bad or average, it was good. Just not great as some people think it is. Fargo himself has lots of balls talking about crowd funding when all of the games he was involved in the last decade were sub-par.

^ Top  
  3. Andyman Messiah Mr. Ed-ucated

Andyman Messiah
    There you go.

I'd take Wasteland 2 if it meant I'd have a really good alternative to the Bethesda-developed Fallout 4. Count me in, Brian.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I think this is a bad idea. Join forces instead of dividing the money and attention of the hardcore RPG fans.

^ Top  
  5. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    Zenimax says no.

^ Top  
  6. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    Give money to developers that have been working on good titles, not ones that sold out and now that they see money claim that they wanted games like this all along. Wouldn't be shocked if Wasteland 2 tried to get finding with the name, then went all next-gen after they got the money.

^ Top  
  7. PlanHex Arcane Patron

PlanHex
    Huh, never thought of that.
    Obsidian and inXile teaming up to develop Wasteland 2 via a Kickstarter project.
    Could probably get a decent amount of money.

^ Top  
  8. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Once the buzz is over these people aren't going to be able to get their projects funded anymore. People have such short attention spans that the next one trying this is probably going to get dramatically less.

^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yes, they should probably wait until DoubleFine's game is released, so that it in effect becomes a sort of sequel.

Of course, for that to work, DF's game will have to be good.

^ Top  
  10. rpgcodexusername Arcane

rpgcodexusername
    Fallout 1 is wasteland 2
    9_^

^ Top  
  11. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Magister

MMXI

^ Top  
  12. curry Arcane

curry
    You guys really think he's going to make an "isometric turn-based RPG" if he gets the funding? Pffft you wish.

^ Top  
  13. Melcar Arcane

Melcar

^ Top  
  14. Turisas Arch Devil Patron

Turisas
    Fuck 'em.

^ Top  
  15. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Which could still be enough to develop and publish the MCAvellone/TimCain/BrianFargo Wasteland 2 CRPG that we all would like to see.

EDIT to include quote

^ Top  
  16. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I'd LOVE a proper Wasteland 2, but there's currently NO developer able to do one.

:(

^ Top  
  17. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    He posted another tweet just a minute ago:
    I don't like it. I want the developers themselves to outline exactly what they want to do with it. THEN I will consider help funding it.

^ Top  
  18. Turisas Arch Devil Patron

Turisas
    They can still do that - just ask for opinions before starting any Kickstarter campaign. Then based on that, outline the project in detail to see if people want to fund it. Trying to please everyone won't ever work, but some very worthwhile ideas could be gained from a dialogue between devs and fans.

^ Top  
  19. curry Arcane

curry
    He reads Codex just like many other RPG developers. They should really start posting here with their own names again.

^ Top  
  20. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    Why should we give money to studios that aren't making the kinds of games we want, when there already are people working on these games? 200k would go a lot further with VD, the Eschalon guys, Vic Davis, the KotC guy, funding Cyclopean, etc. With these large companies, it'd just go to more bloom, and they'd probably put the kick-starter goal at a million or so. At the same price of funding one of these guys you could fund several good indie studios already working on the kinds of games we want for several years. Hell, if the money they probably want from one kick-starter was spread out over the developers I just mentioned, we'd probably already AoD out, Cyclopean on it's way, KotC almost done, etc.

Fund the people that are doing this stuff now, not the people that suddenly salivate when they see the dollar signs.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  21. Phelot Arcane

Phelot
    Fan Ideas: I THINK IT WOULD B COOL 2 HAVE MUTANTS THAT US SIONIC POWERS AND HAVE BATTLE COPTERS THAT ARE ACTUALLY MUTANT TIGERS I GAVE $5 MAKE IT HAPPEN

Seriously, though the last Matt Chat with him didn't sound so good. He pretty much sounded like he was resigned from the whole old school design doctrines.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Castanova Prophet

Castanova
    almondblight is correct. If these guys really wanted to make a solid cRPG they would just go ahead and do it. The reality is that they're comfortable in their current roles, making semi-mass-market RPGs, and some funding ain't gonna change that.

^ Top  
  23. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Seriously. Does anyone have any faith in Fargo after he was responsible for these two atrocities?

^ Top  
  24. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    To me, until proven otherwise, Kickstarter game development is a scam waiting to happen.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)