Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorite Locale

thathmew

Zero Sum Software
Developer
What's your favorite location in the game?
Why -- Quests? Characters? Layout? Feel? Music?
Just curious as I think about future areas and expansions...
Dern it, I can't get a poll to take all the areas:
Kellen
Academy
Land's End
Barrier
Citadel
Ironwood
Crossing East
Jerrock
Monastery

Kyminara

Novice
I like the way the Citadel is laid out - very structured and many parts of the city are nice looking. I suppose I would say Land End is good for the same reason. It's chaotic with homes spread out through the forest which is how I imagine people of the river would live, but it's awfully difficult to find my way around without constantly using the map.
Also the map in Lands End seems to always ask if you want to automatically travel to your destination, even though it's in the same city. This is annoying because then it seems to spend 8 hours just to cross the river.

Munky

Novice
The barrier is probably my favourite. Its a little smallish but the NPCs and quests are quite good. The arms dealer rocks!

The north-south hatred thing seems a little weird though, considering the town is about 40 metres wide, not much to seperate the two either... other than that it works though.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Munky said:
The north-south hatred thing seems a little weird though, considering the town is about 40 metres wide, not much to seperate the two either... other than that it works though.

Yeah, it would have been nice to see something more tangable in what divided the North and South, like check points and barracades. Basically, all they did was talk about how the other side sucked. You'd think the south side would have had the cash to put up some sort of structure to keep the north people out, especially after that house was sacked.

I also agree the town should have been larger, at least the north part.

CP

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Munky said:

Yeah, it would have been nice to see something more tangable in what divided the North and South, like check points and barracades. Basically, all they did was talk about how the other side sucked. You'd think the south side would have had the cash to put up some sort of structure to keep the north people out, especially after that house was sacked.

I also agree the town should have been larger, at least the north part.

Of course it's impossible for me to be completely objective, but I kinda disagree on both points. If the Barrier was any larger we would have had to add another few hundred NPCs to make the city keep its congested/busy feeling. As is there are about 200 NPCs in the Barrier, most of whom don't add a whole heck of a lot. Having a glut of new useless characters would have been irritating to a lot of people. It also would have spread our portraits thin (we try to re-use them as little as possible).

With regard to North/South animosity I agree that there should have been more to physically seperate the 2 groups. However, I don't think that living close together would create a friendly atmosphere. People in cramped cities have historically drawn distinctions between one another for as little as living in a different building. Given the history of the Valley the poor and the rich must co-exist in the Barrier, but that certainly doesn't mean they have to like each other... does it? That's just my opinion -- and, well, reason for designing the Barrier the way I did. :)

CP

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
CP said:
With regard to North/South animosity I agree that there should have been more to physically seperate the 2 groups. However, I don't think that living close together would create a friendly atmosphere. People in cramped cities have historically drawn distinctions between one another for as little as living in a different building. Given the history of the Valley the poor and the rich must co-exist in the Barrier, but that certainly doesn't mean they have to like each other... does it? That's just my opinion -- and, well, reason for designing the Barrier the way I did. :)

Often times though, even in modern cities, the rich people live in gated communities, especially when there's crime areas near them. Given the money they have and the recent vandalism on that one lady's house, as well as the murder, you'd think the rich people would have demanded more protection - like a wall.

thathmew

Zero Sum Software
Developer
Well, part of the whole conceit of the Valley is that most of these issues are all fairly "new" i.e. there may have been some snobbery and what-not in the past, but vandalism and robbery and violent crimes are a lot more recent, so people really don't know how/what/where to respond in many cases. <shrug> Although it might indeed have been cool to have a temporary barrier erected. Ah well, hindsight's 20/20. :)

-mat

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom