Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favourite game places to visit

Beastro

Arcane
Need time to think of more, but a lot of places in EQ stand out both for the beloved stomping grounds and for elusive areas I never did much in. There's too many to mention and each had their own neat vibe, even some place small and near devoid of much had that, like Erud's Crossing or Beholder's Maze. The main though was the Freeport/Commonlands/Nektulos Forst/Neriak area and the nexus of the game's world originally which also was the center of my murderous hunting as a troll newbie PK.

One odd one that stands out in my mind was playing a Barbarian newbie to try out the shaman class. All other non-human races have some sort of nightvision, but Barbarians being a human race, don't. No nightvision in EQ originally meant you saw black unless you had a light source or was by one (and better NV was a major factor in early EQ which left the human races highly unfavoured by many). The neat thing was that with human vision the snow of their newbie zone glowed in much the same way real snow in winter does, but doesn't with the two nightvision filters applied. That means other players choosing other races to see better at night are robbed of the experience, leaving this pretty touch to that zone as you navigated it as a human. I assume the later snow zones of Velious had that too for humans without any nightvision abilities.

Even on its own, human vision was neat and really showed off how lovely the games lighting was, whereas the two nightvision filters gave the game a land, faded out appearance to it at night that diminished light sources even if you saw more of it.

Sadly it's something that cannot be replicated revisiting the zone(s) today as modern video cards don't produce the same glow.

Edit: went looking for some pics and came across this as a comparison of visions. EQ's the only game outside of first person stealth games that I can think of that really emphasized darkness as a subtly significant facet of the game world: http://www.nostalgiaeq.com/2016/10/human-night-vision.html

The satellite towers at the far right hand side top corner of fallout 3's map

the best fight in the game isnt even a quest, just taking those towers from bandits is very entertaining

Funny you mention that, as it's the only real place I was fond of in FO3 as well. I think it's because it's the only real honest hiking simulator part of the game that allows you some decent wilderness and structures to explore.

Tristram in D1. Cozy but desolate and there's a chill in the air that tells you things are not quite what they seem. The music and overall visual makes me think of a dark Autumn night in a small rural settlement where you can smell the campfire all around but there's this sense of unease accompanying it.

It's a place with perfect music that allows you to dick around and never get sick of the place, as I endured much of my brothers gear and money management downtime playing coop with him.

Many of the villages at night in Blood Omen 1. Walking into homes in the dead of night, hearing people sleep soundly, maybe a storm is going on outside with a flash of lightning to illuminate the room for a split second so you can better see the unsuspecting in their beds... and then you siphon their blood to restore your health.

One of the big problems of the later half of the game is how much the town aspect of the game drops off and it's mostly dungeons and wilderness from then on.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
The brothel.
image.png

cruel

Cipher
Demon's Souls - The Nexus, Tower of Latria
Dark Souls - Firelink Shrine, New Londo Ruins, Ash Lake
Planescape: Torment - Mortuary

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom