Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fear & Hunger - Survival Horror Rogue-Like Blobber *qualifier overflow*

Solfear

Novice
Do you know if someone already finished/won the game?

Deleted Member 16721

I'm waiting on the Steam release. I'll pick this one up for sure.

Deleted Member 16721

Thanks for the heads up, gotta play this sometime. Any word on how long of a game it is?

Mortmal

Arcane
Thanks for the heads up, gotta play this sometime. Any word on how long of a game it is?
Quite a few hours cause of the many restarts, if you could instant save everywhere i'd guess it would not be more than 3 hours.

Karl Barx

Novice
lightbane said:
games set in high school or with underage-looking characters, even if they have no erotic content, still get the banhammer. Meanwhile, games from big developers like Senran Kagura, which is as subtle as a sack of bricks as you may think, are left untouched, and so are games with gay sex

Probably because they think, native japs doing their thing is OK. But a westerner doing the same must have some dormant twisted kink; better stop him before he brings the "futa choirgirl" party member.

Solfear said:
Do you know if someone already finished/won the game?

There are videos of yootoobers reaching some endings. But, thus far, not all of them.

Bought the game today and properly explored the first few levels. I like the new chargen. Currently alternating between fast attack+spear+dash knight and lockpicking+backstab+dash. Dash seems really crucial and I have no idea why anyone would pick consumables over it.

Unfortunately, I appear to be stuck. I went down to the prisons via both routes (meat hallway that the torturer guards and the hallway patrolled by the big ol' gilded boi near the bed savepoint) and besides discovering that the area loops around I found no way to progress. These are a bunch of cells that are locked and I don't have the consumables to open. I found the meadow area, too. I guess I haven't tried jumping down the toilet but that made me actually get stuck in the demo so fuck trying that. Any ideas? Karl Barx

Beside all that, I am really enjoying the game. It is very different, random and arguably unfair by design, but so far is a ton of fun to explore. There are a lot of really esoteric mechanics that require pretty specific actions so the game feels mysterious on both narrative and mechanical levels if that makes any sense. Below are some highlights:

1. I found a meadow full of entranced people fucking the shit out of each other while wearing bunny masks. You can participate in the orgy yourself for a full renewal, communion with the old Goddess of Love (which in turn allows you to take abilities in her skill tree upon leveling up) but doing it more than once carries a chance of being lost in the fuck-trance forever. Doesn't matter; had sex.

2. Via a random drop from one of the bookcases I found a tome detailing the story of some mythical city. Upon reading I was transported to what is apparently the illusory version of that city - which was a dreamlike thing of light and splendor with a hint of decay underneath it all - which gave me scarce little time to explore it before I was pulled back to reality, with the implication that I can return to the city by discovering other tomes. That a random item allowed me to access a substantially different area really intrigued me.

3. I found another random book that detailed the way to create a homunculus of sorts from blood and black alchemical fluid. I had some empty vials in my inventory that I have been absent-mindedly filling up with random stuff whenever prompted so I opened my crafting menu and what do you know - I was able to craft a fucking fetus from a blood vial and a black vial. Discovered two uses for it so far: eating it for a major reduction in hunger or sacrificing it to appease the old gods. The book mentions it growing quickly into something resembling a child, but I have no idea if that is actually something that can happen.

4. I freed a little girl and then fed her to a writhing mass of flesh (which entailed a rather gruesome animation) and got nothing for it. That's actually awesome - you'd expect it to lead to some dark pact but no, its just some horrible abomination that wants meat and I turned out to be a sucker who gave it to them.

While clearly not for everyone, I don't think this game should be overlooked on the basis of being an RPGmaker game alone. I think it has enough gameplay additions (body targeting, stealth elements, and constant resource management/attrition) to stand on its own. After about 3-4 collective hours of play I am not experiencing the fatigue Mortmal describes but YMMV.

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
At first I was "Oh, that's interesting", but then I saw this:
fh-1_s.jpg
...aaaaaaand fuck it. Another jRPG Maker shovelware.
Move this shit to jRPG and anime ghetto

I mean, Satan raises a good point. Once I was excited to play Anachronox but as soon as I found out that it ran on the Quake II engine - the same engine Daikatana used and boy was that an icky game! - I uninstalled it, dropped an industrial magnet on my HDD, and shot myself in the head.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
The game is not really well balanced. Some characters like the Dark Priest start the game with incredibly powerful spells that can wreck face, the merc can evade pretty much any fight that he cannot handle while guys like the Outlander and that paladin woman are pretty meh.

The game also suffers from grim dark syndrome. Its so ridiculously edgy that the player just cannot take it seriously. You can get a new party member by fucking a corpse. You can upgrade your stats by fucking a party member. The human hydra is a product of a gang bang. You regain sanity by fucking. The monster guard has a lust for human ass. A potential party member is a product of man on beast love. Another potential party member is a product of a god and a human fucking.

Its just so over the top and silly.

This game is like, hella dank, yo. Yes it is unbalanced and unfair in many ways but it is really fun to explore, even to the rather oldskool point of figuring out various ways to break it. I also get the roguelike rush from playing whatever hand the RNG gods deal me in terms of items and drops (although the core of the game in terms of story and encounters is still very much preset, mind you - much like Darkwood this is very much a game that remixed between playthroughs rather than being fully reconstructed.)

You can make the safe point on level 3 risk-free by overcoming the horror that haunts it and at that point the game becomes less roguelite and more of a traditional RPG. I recruited multiple characters by spamming dialogue actions in combat and being careful with what I say and having the right gifts for them (one of them is Torment-esque to say the least.) I partook in various dark rituals that allowed me to put skill points into powerful, game-changing spells. Also, the interconnectivity is pretty good for a game of this perspective - the first 3 levels basically loop around on one another such that its overwhelming at first but as you master your environment navigation between early areas becomes pretty easy.

You have to have some tolerance for bullshit to enjoy this but I'd bet that, ironically, the very grognards that dismiss this game outright based on the way it looks would enjoy figuring out how to overcome its seemingly impossible encounters with cheesy strats or exploring its obscure mechanics.

The game's writing is unfortunate, having a style that appeals to me greatly but being at a clearly ESL level. It is never unreadable, but expect occasional typos, generally weird sentence structure, and redundancy ("You hear distant barking from afar.") Its part of the charm to me.

Fluent stop making random threads and play this you useless fuck. This game is exactly the kind of unpolished autism that appeals to your particular mindbrain.

Last edited:
The game gives you a permanent save point later on and there are at least two. The early/early-mid game might very well be the most challenging part of the game, but also one that becomes the most manageable and predictable as you become more experienced in the game as a whole. Figuring out how to master the initially unforgiving early areas of the game has been incredibly satisfying for me.

The final act takes place in a sprawling hub area complete with shortcuts and hidden passageways that you can explore by switching between two different timelines of the same area. This concept was done in other games but here it made exploration very engaging as I was trying to figure out which timeline was best for traversing each particular area (its not some dumb gimmick you use to get over a few obstacles, the entire zone is changed substantially with different enemies, loot, and pathways in each timeline).

This game also has C&C out the ass. From poking around on the wiki, my party composition could be completely different from what is is now, and there is even stuff like inter-party conflict if you travel with too many disagreeable individuals. You can also betray all of your companions (as can some of them!) in simply horrible ways, out of desperation or avarice.

The RNG drops, which might very well be the most "unfair" element of the game, can significantly change the course of your playthrough. For example I never found a basic alchemy tome that would allow me to craft healing potions, so I was consistently low on those items...but I did find a recipe for a homunculus which I was able to sacrifice in the stead of one of my followers so as to unlock powerful blood magic spells.

In terms of story, issues with writing aside, its pretty interesting stuff. I did not find it particularly original and to be fair it does wear its inspirations on its sleeve (Berserk is a core influence) but the way some of its themes are reinforced through gameplay is truly engaging stuff, like how difficult but possible and even profitable it is in some cases to parley with your enemies in combat or how you can struggle to keep a weak companion alive who turns out to be very significant to the story. Each new area usually engages you with some implication or straight up hits you over the head with some great revelation. I believe I am close to the end but I fear that the choices I've made locked me into a very peculiar ending indeed.

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
The game is not really well balanced. Some characters like the Dark Priest start the game with incredibly powerful spells that can wreck face, the merc can evade pretty much any fight that he cannot handle while guys like the Outlander and that paladin woman are pretty meh.

The game also suffers from grim dark syndrome. Its so ridiculously edgy that the player just cannot take it seriously. You can get a new party member by fucking a corpse. You can upgrade your stats by fucking a party member. The human hydra is a product of a gang bang. You regain sanity by fucking. The monster guard has a lust for human ass. A potential party member is a product of man on beast love. Another potential party member is a product of a god and a human fucking.

Teenager + Dark Souls + RPG Maker

=

Much edge, so dank

I think art is 100% subjective so any particular thing is either going to appeal to you or it won't. That being said, you can distill any theme or aesthetic into something so obscene as to be ineffective, and grotesque/psychosexual horror is most vulnerable to this mistreatement because it deals with issues that can be ridiculed quite easily. I can say that Alien is a movie about a massive dickmonster that runs around sodomizing and tearing apart people and an android who orally rapes the main female lead with phallic object. Would I be wrong in describing the movie like that? Not really. Would that description accurately evoke the theme and atmosphere of the film? I don't think so.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Could someone change the fucking title of this and remove blobber-like. There's nothing blobber-like about this and I always click on this since I never remember its just another RPGmaker game

Aaand I'm done after about 20 hours with the game on the three last days on my vacation. I don't know what I was expecting. This will be my last post on the subject unless discussion picks up, since I am basically just blogging at this point, but I want to vent my general feelings on the ending/point of the game, knowing full well none of you guys will have the context for this (but perhaps some of you will read it in the future after having played the game and some of my wretched experience will resonate with you.)

(really, I could provide some context by spending a few more minutes actually explaining the game's metaphysics about how the mass belief of people = reality and godhood is a kind of inherited state and the most powerful entities are in fact personofication's of mankind's or indeed the natural order's ideal forms blah blah blah but this is pretty standard stuff for those familiar with your Berserks and your Warhammers and your Scott Bakkers and, more importantly, it probably wouldn't be interested for those unfamiliar with the game in the first place.)
((also the formatting is fucked because I'm copy-pasting this from elsewhere))

Got ending A first and was so devastated I almost quit & uninstalled right then and there. This is not a game where the hardest to get ending is the happiest.

Loaded a save, got merciful god ending, youtubed the others. Seems like the least shitty one (arguably a rather unshitty one actually) although I suppose there is an argument for Ending A to be good in its own wonderfully fucked way.

So I feel comfortable with where my particular journey ended.

The true nature of Ending A is more or less telegraphed, too. If one knows that the Old Gods are the kind of pure, primal metaphysical foundation of the world or w/e, one can expect that the egregore to arise out of this shitty fucking situation wouldn't be a very pleasant one.

I think this game actually portrays a very... responsible? kind of metaphysics,
where idealism (of both the moral and metaphysical variety) is tempered with a heavy dose of pragmatism (heavy enough to kill a horse. Or a dozen.)

The power of the old gods, that is purer (on a foundational, metaphysical level - baser would be a better word, of course, but "purer" is the term the game uses and its clear that the writing of this game begs and deserves better wording in general) is not necessarily more benevolent than the false, transient power of the New Gods,
which, while succumbing to the kind of petty avarice of mere politicians, can ultimately affect humanity in a positive manner, even through lies like religion.
This message is reinforced through gameplay as you constantly balance your, uh, pedestrian ethics with the pressing concern of NOT DYING.

One nitpick I have is where is the ending where you just let Le'garde do his thing and fuck off

Other than that, I see what the game did and I appreciate it greatly

FIN

I certainly got my money's worth out of the game so if the art style doesn't immediately put you of I'd say give it a shot. Your first few runs will be a short roguelite experience but if you master the saving system as I have (and admittedly get somewhat lucky) you can play it more or less like a more traditional experience with savepoints, as indeed I have for my final run was about 16 hours in length.

lightbane

Arcane

Sounds fitting that the most grimdark possible PC is the most capable in a grimdark game.

Just like Berserk!

Karl Barx

Novice
daveyarsegallant said:
You regain sanity by fucking.
No need to go so far. Getting drunk or stoned also gives points back ^^.

Lithium Flower said:
Any ideas? Karl Barx

Sorry mate, wasn't patrolling the Dex while you were stuck.

So, my dear Lithium Flower,

Lithium Flower said:
The book mentions it growing quickly into something resembling a child

You probably found out ; but yes it can happen.
It is creepier than the Girl, but useful, because:
- you can sell it to the cat ;
- you can sacrifice it ;
while still keeping the Girl for the glorious finale.

Lithium Flower said:
my general feelings on the ending/point of the game

Though being clumsy (agreedingly needing a native English reviewer), the game's writing indeed carries a deep lore with some metaphysical overtones.

The New Gods are very similar to the pagan Gods of Greek/Norse/Whatever folklore.
They are somewhat human, with lots of flaws such as greed, sadism, delusion ; though, you can relate with them.

The Old Gods are pure manifestations of energy. They have nothing to "say" (though one does speak in the game, for the benefit of storytelling), they just "are".

The game doesn't answer this question: what is the meaning of all this. Was there a reason for the Old Golds to exist ? Of course it doesn't; nobody really did in all humanity's story arc ^^.

The game really seems to be all about salvaging individuals rather than principles, which it somewhat ridiculizes (New Gods are lame, Old Gods are useless or dreadful, killing/dying for godlike powers doesn't seem such a great idea, makes you become an animal in the circus).

If we are creatures of "something", and this "something" isn't eager to manifest itself, and gaining powers means raping your whole family ; then just let us be for fook's sake.
The most happy characters are to be found in the bunny meadow.

The game really seems to be all about salvaging individuals rather than principles, which it somewhat ridiculizes (New Gods are lame, Old Gods are useless or dreadful, killing/dying for godlike powers doesn't seem such a great idea, makes you become an animal in the circus).

Yeah, that is a great way to put it and mirrors my own conclusion. In the end, despite how fucked up some of the game's endings are, the message is strangely uplifting.

I would almost describe Old Gods as concepts, having little no agency yet responding to the will of the world's denizens. Gro-Goroth is destrudo, Sylvan is libido, and All-Mer - most curiously! - is mankind's relationship and is arguably not even a true Old God. You probably know all this, of course. I bring it up because it makes the above point all the more profound - Old Gods have true power, but why would anyone truly want power for its own sake if it entails the loss of individuality, autonomy, and everything? A mountain is more "powerful" than a monarch in its own right, yet no one wants to be one. The player character may choose to pursue a path to true Godhood and is beautifully and horrifically mocked for it (although in some way is ascended by the revelation of pure, undistilled, ideal form of fear) and even seeing out a prophesy turns the world into a shithole. No, better sit on a chair and wield lesser power that can actually lead to something resembling personal salvation, however illusory.

Tried the sequel's demo.

To summarize the few hundred blog posts I wrote earlier in this thread, my opinion of the first game is that it is the roughest gem in the known universe that I would recommend to anyone who takes pleasure in puzzling out obscure and undocumented game mechanics and on whom the words "Gnostic Rape" as a description of aesthetics or narrative have at least a mildly arousing effect. Might not be as enjoyable or polished or indeed even sensible as your pillars of divinities or what have you, but IMO infinitely more interesting. It is also made by a skilled Scandinavian artist blessed with a tenuous grasp of the English language and a Berserk obsession, so, you know, yeah.

Now I've written up a few paragraphs of impressions for the sequel's demo but accidentally, like, deleted it, so TL;DR its got mechanical and design advancements like a reliable save point that can be accessed very early on after clearing a difficulty speed bum, and the RNG elements being less present and it being possible to weigh them in your favor by expending certain resources. I'm apprehensive about the shift towards larger numbers of same-ish enemies versus the fewer but more tailored encounters in the first game and am curious to see if the new map, which promises to be more of a horizontal sprawl, won't be less interesting than the prequel's more vertically interconnected dungeon crawl. Overall this has the potential to be a much more refined and easier to recommend game than the first one, but I will see how later versions and the full game shake out.

Oh and the writing is still crude and clumsy as all shit but more confident and I found the premise, which is much more Silent Hill than Berserk this time around, more compelling - its doing a good job building on the revelations from the first game while being an indirect enough sequel that knowledge of the prequel is not necessary.

lightbane get in on this shit, I when I get my free time back and begin sperging out about this I'd much rather make it a dialogue than a monologue ok

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom