Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Feargus talks about Project Eternity and Kickstarter (and not South Park) at Rock Paper Shotgun

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Kickstarter; Obsidian Entertainment; Project Eternity; South Park: The Stick of Truth

The second and final part of Rock Paper Shotgun's DICE interview with Feargus Urquhart is up. In this segment of the interview, Feargus talks mainly about Project Eternity and Kickstarter in general, and also a bit about Obsidian's glitchy reputation. He doesn't really have anything particularly interesting to say about Eternity, although the information that the size of the game's development team is currently at "12 or 13 people" should be noteworthy for all of you industry stalkers. More interesting are Feargus' opinions on the Kickstarter phenomenon as a whole. Here's an excerpt:

RPS: At that point, what does Kickstarter become for companies in your position, then? Is it just some kind of nostalgia farm? The biggest successes have definitely hinged on nostalgia, but I think for a while a lot of people looked at it and said, “Maybe this is a truly viable alternative form of funding that could get more innovation into the industry.” Now it’s shifted back towards, “Well, it’s difficult to get real innovation going now unless your budget is $20,000 dollars.”

Feargus Urquhart: Yeah, definitely. It goes back to what we were talking about before. First of all, there’s this haze of just the gold rush. There’s a lot of chaff. It has to resolve itself. Once it resolves itself, Kickstarter will be there to fund things that people want to back. It’s stupid, right? You can look today at what people look to back.​

[...] Things like what we did with Eternity, those might go away. Or maybe they don’t go away, but only so many can be done. A few a year. Four or five a year can get funded that way. But for the other things, we could see a ton of them. At that point, when your goal is down to a certain point, it’s more about people. One, they feel the goal is achievable. Think about it this way: When you have a goal of $2 million dollars, my $10 dollars moves it this much. When I have a goal of $20,000 dollars, my $10 dollars moves it this much. It’s not just that I’m getting something. It’s my feeling that I’m helping out. I’m giving to the industry. I’m letting someone do it. When it feels like my impact on that is meaningful, rather than $10 dollars moving it .00001 percent towards the goal, that’s what helps.​

RPS: So where does that leave crowdfunding for Obsidian as a company? Is it ultimately more of a sidestep – after which you’ll go back to publishing more traditionally for your projects? Or has it been a transformative experience for all of you?

Feargus Urquhart: These are enjoyable games to make. I think it would be great to keep on making them. It helps us build a brand. So that’s where it’s transformative. It’s going to change our business, absolutely. Is it going to change the entirety of our business? No. I would still love to make Fallout: New Vegas 2, or whatever. Or even take Eternity at some point and have Eternity the [Infinity Engine] games and then Eternity the big open-world CRPG. I think that would be really cool.​

Nothing stops us from being able to do those two different things. It’s going to make us look at Eternity as a brand. What else can we do with it? I want to hook up with the Pathfinder guys and see about doing a Pathfinder Eternity world book thing. It sounds a little weird, but… A card game. A board game. I’ve already been chatting with Cryptozoic Entertainment. We have nothing going on specifically, but they have a lot of experience in board games and card games. That’s what’s going to be transformative.​

But overall, we still love making those big games. I don’t think we have to say we have to do one or the other.​

The interview concludes with a spectacularly unsuccessful attempt by the interviewer to get Feargus to say something about the state of South Park: The Stick of Truth since THQ's demise. Apparently, it's going to be "the most horrible game" that Feargus ships in his career (but of course he means that in a good way).

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I wonder what it's changed to by now.

^ Top  
  3. Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Some balanced rock-paper-scissors system.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    Damn I want to be Steve when I grow up.

^ Top  
  5. Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    What if it's a meeting about bashing doors?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    I didn't read the interview but the fact that he won't comment on it means it's shit.

^ Top  
  7. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    You don't talk about such things at Obsidian.

^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Won't comment on its release date, not the game itself.

^ Top  
  9. l3loodAngel Proud INTJ Patron Edgy

l3loodAngel
    Well, you should. I backed, because I thought this was case and not help Obsi fund another popamole or find to a moron who will pay for it's development for 5 years before canceling it...

^ Top  
  10. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    :lol:

They aren't going to stop making the projects that keep the company afloat because they managed to crowdfund one game. Be prepared for the upcoming UE3 game by Obsidian.

^ Top  
  11. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    Or the next Fallout. By Obsidian.

^ Top  
  12. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    This makes a lot of sense.

There is nothing terribly wrong with this question (though it seems slightly trollish), but I consider backwards to be forwards right now. However...

Fuck, I hate this guy's writing.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. BobtheTree Savant

BobtheTree
    He makes it sound like South Park isn't quite as done as it needs to be. Yup, sounds like Obsidian. Perhaps Ubi will give them an extension. I don't have much interest in the game, but I'd like to see Obsidian do well since there's fuckall left for decent, high-profile RPG developers.

^ Top  
  14. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    That has probably more to do with the publisher change than anything else.

I don't doubt we may see the game later than initially assumed, but I do very much doubt this comes out buggy or unfinished for various reasons. I've more worries in that department about P:E.

^ Top  
  15. Helly Translating for brofists Patron

Helly
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

:hearnoevil:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Yeah, the entire interview rubbed me the wrong way yet again.

Sounded like another jab at his "wouldn't you rather make a game like Walking Dead, you know... A TRUE RPG?" he wasted 3 questions on last time.

This also pissed me off greatly:
    Especially since it harkens back to this entirely retarded article of theirs from a while back (John Walker): http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/04/kicking-it-old-school-the-peril-of-kickstarter-nostalgia/ trying to pan KickStarter games going back to some sort of "out of style" medieval concept of design, as "dennovation" contrary to the great advancement of all them new games coming out, instead of even considering that a large part of the industry has only declined and dumbed shit down for mass market since then, and actually going back to when games were still good would be progress in itself, but no and I quote...

The third thing is that, yet again there's apparently this big "Kickstarter decline" myth still going on e.g.:
    at the very start of the article. It's like they don't even get the idea that people wouldn't just throw all their money at every fly shit that comes along (probably spent too much time hyping new releases and with marketing people...) and that "Wildman" just wasn't appealing (and firing his entire staff didn't exactly fill people with confidence either). Nope it's the KICKSTARTER DECLINE!

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  17. dnf Pedophile Dumbfuck Shitposter

dnf
    RPS is a Den of scum and retardation

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    lol people actually read that stuff. I just skim through what's in the OP.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. hiver Guest

hiver
    Already fishing for Obsidian Skyrim... wow.
    How about free to play with every item and equipment sold for real money?
    Every shop a D3 auction house.

^ Top  
  20. Aeschylus Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    There's nothing inherently wrong with an open world game. It all depends on the level of detail put into the environments, NPCs, and quests. If there's depth rather than breadth, open world games can be great. Granted, the number of games that actually achieve such heights can be counted on one hand, but still.

^ Top  
  21. May God Gently Caress You Novice

May God Gently Caress You
    I can only hope Obsidian won't end up with losing Eternity IP due to, for instance, an unsuccessful Eternity open-world RPG for consoles...

^ Top  
  22. Wizfall Arbiter

Wizfall
    If W2 or PE don't sell well we are doomed.

^ Top  
  23. Bulba Learned

Bulba
    if pe will be a success why not sell the ip? make shit load of money and make a new kickstarter calling it project blabla...

it's a bit of a shame that ubi will publish south park, with their stupid drm I'll have to pirate the game...

^ Top  
  24. Lancehead Liturgist

Lancehead
    They can certainly make a good open world - New Vegas is proof for that - problems are that they need publisher money for that (they probably don't see this as a problem), and first/third person action is not their core competency.

^ Top  
  25. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    More worrying is that a lot of people view RPS as the last bastion of true gamers and PC-crowd and sensible people and "journalists asking tough questions" and bullshit like that. When it's just a slightly better version of Kotaku/IGN.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)