Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus Urquhart and Josh Sawyer talk about upcoming Obsidian games at Gamepressure

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity; Pillars of Eternity: The White March

The latest interview to come out of Obsidian's recent little publicity tour is at Polish gaming site Gamepressure.com. It's a dual interview with both Feargus Urquhart and Josh Sawyer, and interesting in that it manages to pry some information out of Feargus about Obsidian's upcoming projects, as well as a clarification about that second Obsidian Kickstarter that never happened. I quote:

Congratulations for selling half a million copies of Pillars of Eternity! Do you consider it to be a lot or not really, keeping in mind that you are a rather large studio based in the US where it’s not cheap to develop games?

Feargus Urquhart: While we are a big studio, success is all relative to the size of the team and the budget. If Call of Duty sold 10 000 000 units it would be considered a failure. For us having sold over 600 000 units now, we are ecstatic.

What are you the most proud of when it comes to Pillars of Eternity and what would you do differently from today’s perspective?

Josh Sawyer: I don’t think there’s one specific thing, but the game as a whole. Our goal was to make a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games and I feel that, for the most part, we accomplished that. In retrospect, we should have had more stronghold content and the mega-dungeon (Od Nua) wore thin after a while. Would have preferred to have more content in the stronghold and to spread those dungeon levels around to make existing dungeons feel more substantial.

How is your work on The White March - Part II going? Will the game be comparable to the first part in terms of size?

Josh Sawyer: It’s going well and it should be comparable in overall size and gameplay length. We learned a lot from working on the base game and Part I, so we’re trying to apply all of that to Part II. The scale of things kicks up after you relight the White Forge and we hope people will enjoy the progression from the relatively modest problems of Stalwart to the wild ‘n crazy ending.

I assume that you won’t be able to tell me anything about what you’re currently working on, but there are lots of possibilities on the horizon. Pillars of Eternity 2, full-fledged RPG in Pathfinder universe that you were considering. Paradox acquired rights to the universe of the World of Darkness, I’m sure a lot of gamers would be really excited to hear that you’re making an RPG in this rich world. When can we expect any official announcements?

Feargus Urquhart: Not to tease, but we will have news in the next two or three months. We absolutely are looking at crowdfunding one of our next titles as well, so we’ll have news on that soon. I can say it’s been fun to sit around and talk with Tim Cain, Game Director of the original Fallout, about ideas for our next thing. I wish I could talk about it more.

What’s happening regarding the mysterious Kickstarter campaign that was supposed to launch by the end of 2014 (according to the interview you had with CVG)? I asked you about this in April and you said that it’s only a matter of weeks.

Feargus Urquhart: We thought about that a lot and decided that we should completely finish Pillars of Eternity before we went back to crowdfunding. Part of that was just because of how busy we were, and part of it was that it felt a bit strange to ask everyone for more money before we had delivered on our first crowdfunded game.​

The first upcoming game that Feargus mentions is clearly the recently revealed Project North Carolina reincarnation, but judging by his choice of words ("looking at crowdfunding one of our next titles as well") there must be something else coming up from Obsidian in addition to that. I wonder which one of them Tim Cain is involved with.

Perkel

Arcane
Feargus Urquhart: Not to tease, but we will have news in the next two or three months. We absolutely are looking at crowdfunding one of our next titles as well, so we’ll have news on that soon. I can say it’s been fun to sit around and talk with Tim Cain, Game Director of the original Fallout, about ideas for our next thing. I wish I could talk about it more.

There it is folks. Moment you've been waiting for.

We need poll. Tim Cain post-apo game OR Tim Cain PoE TB incline ?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Please don't make it fucking fantasy/Medieval/stone age/roman age/modern/ in any shape or form.

SCI-FI/Futuristic-Post-Apoc/Cyberpunk/ only from now on and at least 5 years from now.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Please don't make it fucking fantasy/Medieval/stone age/roman age/modern/ in any shape or form.

SCI-FI/Futuristic-Post-Apoc/Cyberpunk/ only from now on and at least 5 years from now.

Fuck you. After all the Shadowrun, Underrail, Fallout 4 and Cyberpunk from CDPR to come too, why would you want more of that?

Modern setting RPG or Classical Age, WW2 even, but not more post apoc/cyberpunk.

Doktor Best

Arcane

Fuck you. After all the Shadowrun, Underrail, Fallout 4 and Cyberpunk from CDPR to come too, why would you want more of that?

Modern setting RPG or Classical Age, WW2 even, but not more post apoc/cyberpunk.

I would suggest you remove Bethesdas Abomination from that sentence, right next to Underrail, before someone gets hurt.

Also compared to the big bulk of fantasy rpgs, postapocalypse and cyberpunk is still underused.

I would prefer a new Vampire game indefinitely though.

Tigranes

Arcane
Tim Cain was delighted to talk with Feargus about the future of Armoured Warfare. He is now working in Siberia so he can fully concentrate on his project, without being distracted by RPGs.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Our goal was to make a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games and I feel that, for the most part, we accomplished that.

:smug:

spread those dungeon levels around to make existing dungeons feel more substantial.

How very Larian.

Xeon

Augur
Wonder if Tim Cain can bring Jason Anderson and Leonard Boyarsky similar to Avellone working on other Kickstarters. Maybe even Brian Mitsoda and George Ziets to make the next RPG greatness.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tim Cain was just a programmer in Bloodlines iirc, not a designer. Although that game production sounds so impromptu that it's likely people had multiple hats.

Klarion

Arcane
What’s happening regarding the mysterious Kickstarter campaign that was supposed to launch by the end of 2014 (according to the interview you had with CVG)?
What was this about? I never heard about this... or I forgot?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Our goal was to make a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games and I feel that, for the most part, we accomplished that.

:smug:

Smug about what? That he "thinks" he accomplished that? You do realize you're not the same person as him, right? Or...

I'm using the smiley because he's outright dismissing all the complaints of the grognards who said he made something that felt nothing like an IE game.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm choosing to interpret Feargus, when he invokes "Tim Cain, Game Director of the original Fallout", that Obsidian has accepted to make the next Fallout game. That's highly optimistic of me, borderline delusional, but I'm sticking to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom