Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus Urquhart on the possibilities for a New Vegas 2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout: New Vegas; Feargus Urquhart; Obsidian Entertainment

Nathan Grayson of Rock Paper Shotgun continues to reveal tidbits from his interview with Feargus Urquhart at DICE. In a snippet from the interview posted today, Feargus shares his thoughts about a possible sequel to 2010's Fallout: New Vegas. It's interesting to know that despite past grievances, Obsidian and Bethesda are "definitely on good terms".

“If I think of going from Fallout 1 to Fallout 2, we tried to associate the two areas somewhat closely,” he explained to RPS. “It wasn’t just ‘Oh, we’re gonna do this 2,000 miles from here.’ So I think if we were to do Fallout: New Vegas 2 – or just a new Fallout – we would probably separate it from what the internal team at Bethesda’s doing. We’d keep it on the West Coast, because we’re West Coast people. They’re East Coast, so it makes sense.”​

“And we need an interesting confined area. So I mean, it could be LA. Fallout LA. That could be interesting. It’d probably be The Boneyard, which is from Fallout 1. It could be very different. It could be almost a Walking Dead meets Fallout-like thing because of all the radiation.”​

Which, of course, sounds pretty damn enticing. But there’s a lot more to making a bombed-out wasteland than, well, dropping some bombs. Red tape abounds, and Urquhart didn’t deny that it’s kind of a kick in the head. But Obsidian and Bethesda are definitely on good terms, so there’s plenty of hope.​

“We talk to Bethesda all the time,” he said. “And I think the challenge here doesn’t just apply to Bethesda specifically, but to a lot of publishers in general. But basically, what does all the [current] console crap mean? The challenge in this period of time has been, you have this console transition, and it’s strange that they’re still not announced. But that always creates a disruption in the industry. And now you mix in [the emergence of] mobile and F2P stuff, and it’s left a lot of people reeling.”​

“So that’s a lot of the conversation we’ve had with publishers. ‘OK, how do we get back to normal – whatever normal is going to be.’ That’s just the process right now.”​

Hopefully Obsidian can survive the next-gen console blues. The full interview with Feargus should be posted on RPS sometime soon.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
So they are pitching possible AAA projects left and right (in public interviews instead of direct talks with the publishers)? Wasn't soliciting illegal? Their Dr. Jekyll (Kickstarter renaissance) and Mr. Hyde (Star Wars! FO:NV2!) sides keep getting more disparate... Or so it seems to me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So they are pitching possible AAA projects left and right (in public interviews instead of direct talks with the publishers)? Wasn't soliciting illegal? Their Dr. Jekyll (Kickstarter renaissance) and Mr. Hyde (Star Wars! FO:NV2!) sides keep getting more disparate... Or so it seems to me.

I don't think there's really a fully formed pitch for New Vegas 2. It's just..."talks".

I think the guys at Bethesda for all their faults kind of like Obsidian and want to work with them.

Wizfall

Cipher
I did not realize until now how it seems to be difficult to create a new IP.
Depressing.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The should approach Bethesda and do a tun-based isometric Fallout spin-off.

Indeed they should.

A mid budget standalone title that doesn't even try to reach everybody, but does its own thing with utmost polish in its focal points.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So they are pitching possible AAA projects left and right (in public interviews instead of direct talks with the publishers)?
I thought it was obvious that saying "we are talking to Bethesda/LucasArts/Disney" mean that they are in direct talks with the publishers and pitching the ideas to them. THEN they make public interviews.

Seerix

Arbiter
But basically, what does all the [current] console crap mean? The challenge in this period of time has been, you have this console transition, and it’s strange that they’re still not announced. But that always creates a disruption in the industry. And now you mix in [the emergence of] mobile and F2P stuff, and it’s left a lot of people reeling.”

What? Why would they announce new consoles when old ones are still getting both Sony and Microsoft fuckloads of money?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
But basically, what does all the [current] console crap mean? The challenge in this period of time has been, you have this console transition, and it’s strange that they’re still not announced. But that always creates a disruption in the industry. And now you mix in [the emergence of] mobile and F2P stuff, and it’s left a lot of people reeling.”

What? Why would they announce new consoles when old ones are still getting both Sony and Microsoft fuckloads of money?

Well, some developers want it: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...mot_New_consoles_are_overdue.php#.URqHex2sh8E

"What we missed was a new console every five years," he says. "We have been penalized by the lack of new consoles on the market. I understand the manufacturers don't want them too often because it's expensive, but it's important for the entire industry to have new consoles because it helps creativity."

Ubisoft is typically one of the most prolific publishers when new systems hit. That can result in a few flops, but it also can open the doors for a new franchise. (Hopes are already high for Watch Dogs, which hasn't officially been announced as a next generation title, but the company's no comments tend to come with a wink.)

"It's a lot less risky for us to create new IPs and new products when we're in the beginning of a new generation," he says. "Our customers are very open to new things. Our customers are reopening their minds -- and they are really going after what's best. ... At the end of a console generation, they want new stuff, but they don't buy new stuff as much. They know their friends will play Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed so they go for that. So the end of a cycle is very difficult."

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
It could be very different. It could be almost a Walking Dead meets Fallout-like...

Ah Feargus, poor boy... Attaching last year's everybody's whore to your Fallout does not necessarily make sense...

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It could be almost a Walking Dead meets Fallout-like thing because of all the radiation.
zTWzqs.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom