Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Feargus Urquhart talks Pillars of Eternity 2 at Polygon

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Obsidian Entertainment; Pathfinder; Pillars of Eternity; South Park: The Stick of Truth

With Pillars of Eternity nearing release and Kickstarter warming up again after a rather slow year, it seems that Obsidian Entertainment CEO Feargus Urquhart is once again thinking thoughts and planning plans. He recently shared some of those thoughts with Polygon's Brian Crecente:

With Pillars of Eternity, the original role-playing game from Obsidian kickstarted for about $4 million, hitting in about two months, the studio is already working on promised expansions and discussing a sequel.

"We're going to do some expansions because we said we would as a part of the Kickstarter," said Obsidian Entertainment CEO Feargus Urquhart. "We've already started working on artwork. So we've already kind of figured out where we want to go in the world and the artists are doing some tests.

"But with Eternity 2, that's the next thing. Probably at the end of this month, Josh [Sawyer] and Adam [Brennecke], the key guys on the team are all going to sit down. They've already come up with a list of what they want to do, kind of new game systems and that kind of stuff. We're going to try and get going on that as soon as we can."

It sounds like the question isn't whether a sequel is going to be made, but how it will be funded.

Urquhart said he thinks they might once more pursue Kickstarter for funding, but was hesitant.

""I think so, I think that's what we'll do," he said. "It's not 100 percent. The reason is because first we didn't want to do it until [Pillars of Eternity] came out. The second thing is that the Kickstarter stuff is kind of up and down here and there. But the Shadowrun guys look like they're pretty successful, they're like one and a half or two million. I know if we put exploding kittens in it we could make billions.

"I think it might be a good time again for a Kickstarter, so we're talking about it."

He said the team needs to have a reason for going to Kickstarter for money, not just a request for more money.

"So we need to start talking about Eternity 2 so we can say we would like you to back us so we can do these things."

While Pillars of Eternity is set to launch on March 26, the team continues to work on it. Mostly focusing on polish and giving the title a once over, Urquhart said.

A lot of the final changes to the game were driven by a required playthrough back in December.

"We told the entire team that no one works for a week and instead they just play the game," Urquhart said. "It gave everyone a chance to be proud of what they had done and to figure out what they wanted to fix and change."

A lot of those tweaks included balance changes, work on the stronghold and the interfaces, Urquhart said.

"This whole process has been great," he said.
PoE2, the next Obsidian Kickstarter? I wonder what happened to that project he first spoke about back in December 2013...and then in March 2014...and then never again.

UPDATE: Polygon also spoke to Feargus about South Park and Pathfinder in two additional articles posted yesterday. No South Park DLC or Pathfinder RPG planned yet, but they're thinking about it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Seriously? They guys haven't even finished the first game and seen the feedback and already are talking about new game systems and things they want to do? Da fuck?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey, if they can plan an expansion, I suppose they can plan a sequel too...it's just plans.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I hope at least it's turn-based. After all of Obisidan saying in that panel they want to make a TB game, making yet another RTWP one would be just sily.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's a sequel, it'll have to be RTwP.

Anyway, do keep in mind that this post might end up sharing the same fate as the two I linked at the bottom of it. Feargus gonna Feargus.

Apexeon

Arcane
Seriously? They guys haven't even finished the first game and seen the feedback and already are talking about new game systems and things they want to do? Da fuck?

They need more money for Josh to kill fun and make magical floating arches.

bonescraper

I'm not funding any other PoS from Obsidian. Never fucking ever.

Tigranes

Arcane
Oh boy.

Standard. Industry. Practice.

You're not a shitposter, you already know why this would be standard. industry. practice. Development leaves you with plenty of things you knew you could have done better and would like to change the next time round, stories you'd like to pursue.

Oh wait! But if they're talking about the second game already that must mean they're not planning to get any feedback once the game is released! Jesus Christ!

Tigranes

Arcane
Seems like Feargus didn't have faith in their pitch for a new IP. Guess PoE has already become a brand.

The plan was for a franchise from the very beginning, some Infinitron robot somewhere can dig up quotes if they'd like, but it's been stated numerous times.

Which... obviously makes sense? You know, let's use the assets, rules and engine work developed in one game to create a bigger and better game? Like, I don't know, BG2?

dukeofwhales

Cipher
Seems like Feargus didn't have faith in their pitch for a new IP. Guess PoE has already become a brand.

The plan was for a franchise from the very beginning, some Infinitron robot somewhere can dig up quotes if they'd like, but it's been stated numerous times.

Which... obviously makes sense? You know, let's use the assets, rules and engine work developed in one game to create a bigger and better game? Like, I don't know, BG2?

Last we heard though, Obsidian wanted to use Kickstarter for new IPs and base sequels off profits from games in that series. So best guess at this point is that preorders are not going well and Obsidian are concerned about sales.

I'm well aware of that. But if the proposed interim kickstarter project (which was supposed to be an original new IP) that Fergus mentioned at the end of 2013 and then again in early 2014 has been scrapped in favor of kickstarting PoE2, then it suggests that OE is internally aware of the brand awareness PoE has already established due to backer involvement, and would rather than capitalize on that momentum than establish a new (say sci-fi or post-apoc or whatever) franchise.

Tigranes

Arcane
Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, who knows if those things are connected, or if they always planned to keep the POE team moving onto xpacks and sequels. Ideally I'd like to see the POE team stay together and keep working, funded by POE revenue, and another team assemble for a new IP Kickstarter. I suppose that really has to wait for release day sales.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It'll be a hard sell to backers to pay for a sequel to a game they haven't played (the full version of) yet.

Yeah, depending on when/if they do a PoE 2: Electric Boogaloo KS that could possibly backfire.

But, they already have an engine built and won't possibly need so much for a sequel.

hiver

wut? he just re rolled the ball so it keeps going, most usual business move and why not? Seems confident they would get enough from kickstarter and have extra from PoE sales after release, which is reasonable and they didnt lose any money on previous few projects, right? At least one or two most recent. Seems like good times for Obs after a long while of up and down.

most basic business move, wtf you are you on about bro, pls.

Last edited by a moderator:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It'll be a hard sell to backers to pay for a sequel to a game they haven't played (the full version of) yet.
They still have to release the game and it's expansion. I don't think serious work into a sequel will happen until after that.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A sequel or expansion is pretty essential since history suggests that's where the quality content begins surfacing.

Just going to point out this doesn't really exclude the possibility of a different KickStarter for a new IP.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Plain nonsense and you know it. OE have never cared about sequels being faithful to the originals. Just compare FO1/2 to NV or DS1/2 to DS3.
They'll go RTwP because they want to. They expect a larger player base (=moar money). Which is ironic since he also mentions exploding kittens, a TB game :M. Also, bad gameplay gets tedious far more quickly in TB games. I guess OE just don't think that they're able to develop good TB gameplay in this kind of genre.

"But with Eternity 2, that's the next thing. Probably at the end of this month, Josh [Sawyer] and Adam [Brennecke], the key guys on the team are all going to sit down. They've already come up with a list of what they want to do, kind of new game systems and that kind of stuff. We're going to try and get going on that as soon as we can."
That's really just two guys brainstorming. That's not the same as the whole PE team crunching. Doesn't mean they won't take feedback from finished PE and future expansions into account. Usually the groundwork of developing is done when the KS campaign starts. What's missing is the final scope (depends on money), implementing, tweaking and finishing touches. Especially the codex is very harsh on campaigns that are too vague and have nothing to show for themselves.
Still a stupid thing to say at this stage. He should really have waited till after release to see how the game is received. And even then he should have stuck to discussing possible expansions, imo.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Maybe. I think that the sudden glut in the cRPG genre is making Obsidian question the value of creating new franchises quickly.

It's also probably not a coincidence that Harebrained Schemes was mentioned in the same breath. Before Hong Kong there was legitimate doubt that the masses would be "cool" with sourcing crowdfunding for a direct sequel, which cast a shadow over the plausibility of the project. Now that Hong Kong is going somewhere they probably feel more confident that creating an improved version of what they already have is a viable way of guaranteeing their investment.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
More Feargus talk at Polygon:
http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/4/7980129/pathfinder-rpg-video-game-obsidian-entertainment
http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/4/797...f-truth-dlc-unlikely-but-not-impossible-after

He said the team needs to have a reason for going to Kickstarter for money, not just a request for more money.
What does this mean?

It means "We need to think of an interesting twist for PoE2 to motivate people to pledge, not just a 'more of the same, give us more money' type thing".

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Plain nonsense and you know it. OE have never cared about sequels being faithful to the originals. Just compare FO1/2 to NV or DS1/2 to DS3.
:retarded:

That's a pretty damn stupid way of viewing things, and completely inaccurate, and I think you know it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom